E90Post

European Auto Source

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > power bogging at 4k rpm : Shiv?

01-17-2008, 12:17 AM   #1
Supramano
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: 1995 BMW M3, 2008 335xi Sedan

Send a message via AIM to Supramano
power bogging at 4k rpm : Shiv?

Hey guys, ive jut recently noticed that when runing at wot my boost spikes quite hard from 16 to 14 between shifts. Not only that it feels as if im losing power at the beginning of each shifts. Let me see if i can explain it. When taking off in 1st, my run to redline feels fine...then when shifting to second i get a big burst of power for a second which then pushes me back and then takes off again but not as strong as when it first took off. Watching the boost gauge it looks like it hits 16 drops down to 10-12 then back to 14 immidiately. It does this more pronouncly when theengine is colder...maybe im not givving the car ampl time to warm up. Or is it possibly the bov. I feel like this is something recent thats been happening or its something ive realized cause its getting colder out.l not sure...any ideas. Bought procede v2 from somone on this forums hoping the powerband wil be smoother than AAs and i wont see anymore spikes. Also i dont like lossing boost to redline makes the car feel weird...wish it was the other way around. any ideas? thought? suggestions what i should check? lata
Mods; Procede V4 | Remus Quads | UR catless dps | H&R coilovers | Modified CDV | Injen Intake | Spearco IC | Forge DVs | Defi Boost Gauge w/controller | Vorsteiner CF Hood + Front Lip | OEM M-tech Body kit | Hamann eyelids | Predator Ice Angels | 19" Volk Progressive Me's | Rotora BBK | 18" Rota Torques w/Blizzaks
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2008, 12:26 AM   #2
shiv@vishnu
Tuner
United_States
Rep

Drives: X1, 335i

What you are describing sounds like a boost leak. You really shouldn't get any significant boost oscillation after the shift. And 16psi is too high. This is what I'd recommend doing:

1) check all your car for leaks. You are running an aftermarket bov and ic pipe so anything us possible.
2) check your user tq settings. Set them all to the default value I'd 90%
3) confirm that you are running the right map and firmware. See my sig for the link.
4) confirm boost does not exceed 14.5-15psi. You will get some top end boost taper. Will drop down to 11-12psi by 6500rpm. This is normal.

Shiv

UPDATE: I thought you were running our PROcede. You aren't. My bad for not being able to read. Please ignore points 2-4 Call AA instead.

Last edited by shiv@vishnu; 01-17-2008 at 01:43 AM.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2008, 12:33 AM   #3
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: Mcoupe

Send a message via AIM to O-cha
Spiking to 16 would be "normal" spiking dropping and going back up on the other hand would not be.
      01-17-2008, 12:43 AM   #4
Supramano
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu View Post
What you are describing sounds like a boost leak. You really shouldn't get any significant boost oscillation after the shift. And 16psi is too high. This is what I'd recommend doing:

1) check all your car for leaks. You are running an aftermarket bov and ic pipe so anything us possible.
2) check your user tq settings. Set them all to the default value I'd 90%
3) confirm that you are running the right map and firmware. See my sig for the link.
4) confirm boost does not exceed 14.5-15psi. You will get some top end boost taper. Will drop down to 11-12psi by 6500rpm. This is normal.

Shiv
Hey shiv...i dont have the prcede yet ill have it by the end of the week....i still have the aa xede so i cant change torque settings and stuff. Now I recently had a hpfp replaced at the dealer so i had to uninstall tthe xede...when i went to install it back i noticed i tore a very little hole in one of the caps when i tried to remove it with a pair of pliers.for bypassing the solenoid. I dont think the tear is large enough to cause a leak it, looks like its at the surface..but would that cause a leak...is it under pressure? I can hear hissing under the hood but it doesnt sound like its comig from any hoses....sounds like the bov. Is there anyhting i can spray on the hoses while the cars running to see if it bubbles. or is there a way to check for leaks another way??
Mods; Procede V4 | Remus Quads | UR catless dps | H&R coilovers | Modified CDV | Injen Intake | Spearco IC | Forge DVs | Defi Boost Gauge w/controller | Vorsteiner CF Hood + Front Lip | OEM M-tech Body kit | Hamann eyelids | Predator Ice Angels | 19" Volk Progressive Me's | Rotora BBK | 18" Rota Torques w/Blizzaks
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2008, 01:13 AM   #5
Supramano
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Hey shiv is ti possible the intake is choking the engine up with all my mods.. cause thats what it feels like. It feels as if the car gets muffled. Ive been waiting for the bavdom intake for 8 motnhs now...at this point i ordered the msds stage 1 and stage2 intake to have something in the mean time. hope this fixes the problem. i cant see any visible leaks unless its ic piping. lata
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2008, 01:41 AM   #6
shiv@vishnu
Tuner
United_States
Rep

Drives: X1, 335i

Waitasec, you are still running the AA Xede? Ahhh... i completely misunderstood you. I thought you were having these problems with the v2 PROcede. That being the case, your best bet would be to contact AA and tell them what you are seeing. It's really hard for me to troubleshoot something I'm not familiar with

Shiv
Appreciate 0