Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

TireRack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Tire pressure monitor didn't work...Why????

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

01-12-2006, 12:16 AM   #1
RedFireBeemer
Enlisted Member
Rep

Drives: 2006 Red 330i

Tire pressure monitor didn't work...Why????

So let me start this thread by saying that I always re-initialize the tire pressure monitoring system anytime I make an air pressure change to one or more of my tires.

So this morning I was about 3/4 of the way to work when I suddenly felt a thump, thump, thump coming from one of the tires. I arrived at work and found that my left front tire had picked up a big lag screw and the puncture site was hissing. I parked the car and went to work. During work I called Firestone and Big O Tires both whom told me it was against their policy to fix or repair a run flat tire. I called Les Schwab Tires who said as long as the puncture site is not in the sidewall (Its gonna be close as the screw is in the edge of the tread near the shoulder) that they can patch it. So I knew that if you drive a long distance with the tire completly flat, then the tire has to be replaced.

So after I got off work, I checked the tire pressure which was "ZERO". I left work and had to drive approximately 3/4 mile to reach a gas staion and pump up the tire for the drive home. On the way to the service station, I was expecting the tire pressure monitor to illuminate and tell me there was a tire problem, but nothing. How come? Do we have to drive a specific distance before the monitoring system kicks in and begins monitoring, or do I have a problem with my system? Any help would be most appreciated....
Premium Package
Steptronic
Xenon Lights
Park Distance Control
Appreciate 0