E90Post
 


TireRack
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Have the limp modes been fixed with the 6AT V2.0.2 yet?



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-23-2008, 08:32 AM   #23
Garrett
Banned
 
Drives: 2004 330ci
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Mich

Posts: 1,356
iTrader: (0)

Green wire..?

Well, I don't think you would need that speacial feature on a ECU tune...!
Garrett is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-23-2008, 09:07 AM   #24
munters
Captain
 
munters's Avatar
 
Drives: E91 335XI AT Dakota Black M
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Switzerland

Posts: 675
iTrader: (0)

I think it is the green wire, but not the HW... its a part of the map or procede not dealing right with it.
The reason Im saying this is, because as long my green wire was in(2.01), I had the same stutter at startup. Since I dont have it there is no problem at all.
munters is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-23-2008, 10:49 AM   #25
e90AW335i
Major General
 
Drives: e90 335i
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: ......

Posts: 6,608
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett View Post
Green wire..?

Well, I don't think you would need that speacial feature on a ECU tune...!


Good point Garrett. Oh, and you forgot to sign your name. Just messing with you....
__________________
I install all tunes, intakes, o2 simms, and most cosmetic mods. PM me for a quote.
e90AW335i is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-23-2008, 08:42 PM   #26
Thomasz126
Private First Class
 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Jersey

Posts: 104
iTrader: (0)

I am having problems with limp mode as well.
Thomasz126 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-23-2008, 08:51 PM   #27
MrRipfrog
Another
 
MrRipfrog's Avatar
 
Drives: Vespa GTS
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Posts: 175
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomasz126 View Post
I am having problems with limp mode as well.
Hey Thomas, what are the details of the limp mode induced with your car? 3rd gear? Redline?
__________________
MrRipfrog is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-23-2008, 08:57 PM   #28
shiv@vishnu
Tuner
 
Drives: X1, 335i
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: SF Bay, CA

Posts: 17,616
iTrader: (0)

Hi guys,
The only real problem that I am aware of has been reported by 4 or 5 people using the unofficial "dyno only" speed delimiter feature (the green wire intercepting the speed sensor signal). The engine gallops during cold start for a few seconds. I've spent the last 5 days doing scope readings trying to recreate it here and I have finally found a strange reading. Looks like there is a bug in that feature that kicks out an implausible speed output right after initial start-up for a fraction of a second (as the PROcede initializes). If that is indeed the problem, it won't be hard to solve. Should know within the next few days. Why it only effects a few people and not everyone using this feature is still unknown. For now, if you are getting this symptom, just remove that green loom. It's optional and the only feature you will lose is the speed input/delimiter feature.

There are a 2 or 3 people throwing limp codes a high RPM for another reason. And I will get to that now that I think we have the other issue figured out. It's important to realize that there can be a number of reasons for any code issue (spark plugs, fuel pump, ignition coil recall, ecu update recall, etc,.) It does take time for us to rule out these possibilities in a methodical way without wasting the customers time or money.

Shiv
shiv@vishnu is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-23-2008, 09:32 PM   #29
tlin8
tizzlebag
 
Drives: F10 528i Black Sapphire 11'
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Nürburgring, California

Posts: 299
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to tlin8
I am still getting the gallops during cold start. A shop installed the V2 for me so I am not familiar with removing the green loom. Can someone give me instructions on how to remove the green loom? Sent you a PM Shiv
__________________
2011 528i Black Sapphire

tlin8 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-23-2008, 09:41 PM   #30
shiv@vishnu
Tuner
 
Drives: X1, 335i
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: SF Bay, CA

Posts: 17,616
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlin8 View Post
I am still getting the gallops during cold start. A shop installed the V2 for me so I am not familiar with removing the green loom. Can someone give me instructions on how to remove the green loom? Sent you a PM Shiv
They might not have even installed it as it was not in the installation instructions that we provided. The speed limiter feature is not easily supported. To confirm that you have it, just look at your wiring. If you see two green looms installed, you have it installed. If you only have one green loom installed, you don't have it installed.

Shiv
shiv@vishnu is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-23-2008, 09:44 PM   #31
tlin8
tizzlebag
 
Drives: F10 528i Black Sapphire 11'
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Nürburgring, California

Posts: 299
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to tlin8
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu View Post
They might not have even installed it as it was not in the installation instructions that we provided. The speed limiter feature is not easily supported. To confirm that you have it, just look at your wiring. If you see two green looms installed, you have it installed. If you only have one green loom installed, you don't have it installed.

Shiv
The shop said that they installed it for me so Im sure there are two wires. Which green wire do I remove?
__________________
2011 528i Black Sapphire

tlin8 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-23-2008, 09:51 PM   #32
shiv@vishnu
Tuner
 
Drives: X1, 335i
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: SF Bay, CA

Posts: 17,616
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlin8 View Post
The shop said that they installed it for me so Im sure there are two wires. Which green wire do I remove?
The solid green loom is the one you want to remove. This one controls the speed delimiter. Leave the green-with-a-red-stripe loom alone. That one controls boost

Shiv
shiv@vishnu is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-23-2008, 09:53 PM   #33
tlin8
tizzlebag
 
Drives: F10 528i Black Sapphire 11'
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Nürburgring, California

Posts: 299
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to tlin8
You are the best Shiv! I will remove it now and hopefully the gallops will stop from there
__________________
2011 528i Black Sapphire

tlin8 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-24-2008, 12:36 AM   #34
2007_E93
Captain
 
Drives: ?
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: ?

Posts: 604
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu View Post
Hi guys,
The only real problem that I am aware of has been reported by 4 or 5 people using the unofficial "dyno only" speed delimiter feature (the green wire intercepting the speed sensor signal). The engine gallops during cold start for a few seconds. I've spent the last 5 days doing scope readings trying to recreate it here and I have finally found a strange reading. Looks like there is a bug in that feature that kicks out an implausible speed output right after initial start-up for a fraction of a second (as the PROcede initializes). If that is indeed the problem, it won't be hard to solve. Should know within the next few days. Why it only effects a few people and not everyone using this feature is still unknown. For now, if you are getting this symptom, just remove that green loom. It's optional and the only feature you will lose is the speed input/delimiter feature.

There are a 2 or 3 people throwing limp codes a high RPM for another reason. And I will get to that now that I think we have the other issue figured out. It's important to realize that there can be a number of reasons for any code issue (spark plugs, fuel pump, ignition coil recall, ecu update recall, etc,.) It does take time for us to rule out these possibilities in a methodical way without wasting the customers time or money.

Shiv
Shiv,

I'm one of those with high boost and I'll say a "near-limp" as the car hesitated a lot but no official limp as I let off gas right away and I was datalogging at the time. you can see it on the graph if you want me to post here. Also, I get boost of 15.3 at 90% between 4500-5300 rpms in all gears. Mostly noted when car shifted from low to higher gear at redline.

I do NOT have speed limit defeat map. I have regular map 1-10-08 and I have installed to the letter as per your instructions.
2007_E93 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-24-2008, 01:11 AM   #35
MrRipfrog
Another
 
MrRipfrog's Avatar
 
Drives: Vespa GTS
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Posts: 175
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2007_E93 View Post
Shiv,

I'm one of those with high boost and I'll say a "near-limp" as the car hesitated a lot but no official limp as I let off gas right away and I was datalogging at the time. you can see it on the graph if you want me to post here. Also, I get boost of 15.3 at 90% between 4500-5300 rpms in all gears. Mostly noted when car shifted from low to higher gear at redline.

I do NOT have speed limit defeat map. I have regular map 1-10-08 and I have installed to the letter as per your instructions.
Same here except my car goes into complete limp mode. Actually seems to stutter/shudder when limp mode is induced and I press on the gas pedal at all. I believe the highest boost reading I recorded was 14.7.
__________________
MrRipfrog is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-24-2008, 01:39 AM   #36
2007_E93
Captain
 
Drives: ?
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: ?

Posts: 604
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRipfrog View Post
Same here except my car goes into complete limp mode. Actually seems to stutter/shudder when limp mode is induced and I press on the gas pedal at all. I believe the highest boost reading I recorded was 14.7.
That makes at least 4 of us that i know of having either limp or high boost pressures with V2. hopefullly shiv will chime in soon....
2007_E93 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-24-2008, 08:43 AM   #37
Garrett
Banned
 
Drives: 2004 330ci
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Mich

Posts: 1,356
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2007_E93 View Post
That makes at least 4 of us that i know of having either limp or high boost pressures with V2. hopefullly shiv will chime in soon....




But didn't you listen..?
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu View Post
The limp issue was solved a long time ago.

Shiv
Garrett is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-24-2008, 03:48 PM   #38
M&M
Captain
 
M&M's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3 Competition Pack
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Johannesburg, South Africa

Posts: 661
iTrader: (0)

Sounds like you guys have a flaky ground. What's your boost at idle?
M&M is offline   South Africa
0
Reply With Quote
      01-24-2008, 04:44 PM   #39
2007_E93
Captain
 
Drives: ?
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: ?

Posts: 604
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M View Post
Sounds like you guys have a flaky ground. What's your boost at idle?
Funny you should ask,..it hovers between -0.3 to 0psi. How I get a negative number IDK.

All the more reason why I'm concerned with my high boost pressures. Is it really 15.6 instead of 15.3? My rpms are 600 when car's hot and ~800 when car is still cold (first minute or 2)
2007_E93 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-24-2008, 04:49 PM   #40
shiv@vishnu
Tuner
 
Drives: X1, 335i
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: SF Bay, CA

Posts: 17,616
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2007_E93 View Post
Funny you should ask,..it hovers between -0.3 to 0psi. How I get a negative number IDK.

All the more reason why I'm concerned with my high boost pressures. Is it really 15.6 instead of 15.3? My rpms are 600 when car's hot and ~800 when car is still cold (first minute or 2)
The readings at idle are fine. They should be around 0 if you are at sea level. As you go up in altitude, the numbers will become increasingly negative. FWIW, at 800' above sea level, I usually se -0.2 to -0.6psi at idle.

As for your boost level, drop the user torque until peak boost is 14.5-15psi. If it means you have to go to 88%, that's fine. But I wouldn't sweat a 0.2psi overboost if its just on an initial spike. That is normal and can easily be influenced by weather conditions. You'll see spikes greater than 1psi on an stock car. And even greater than that on a car that runs a bypassed boost solenoid. It's just that we are the only ones to provide you with viewing/logging software.

Just keep sustained boost no greater than 14.5-15psi above 5000rpm and you'll be fine.

Shiv
shiv@vishnu is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-24-2008, 04:58 PM   #41
2007_E93
Captain
 
Drives: ?
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: ?

Posts: 604
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu View Post
The readings at idle are fine. They should be around 0 if you are at sea level. As you go up in altitude, the numbers will become increasingly negative. FWIW, at 800' above sea level, I usually se -0.2 to -0.6psi at idle.

As for your boost level, drop the user torque until peak boost is 14.5-15psi. If it means you have to go to 88%, that's fine. But I wouldn't sweat a 0.2psi overboost if its just on an initial spike. That is normal and can easily be influenced by weather conditions. You'll see spikes greater than 1psi on an stock car. And even greater than that on a car that runs a bypassed boost solenoid. It's just that we are the only ones to provide you with viewing/logging software.

Just keep sustained boost no greater than 14.5-15psi above 5000rpm and you'll be fine.

Shiv
Appreciate input. I am at or just above sea level here (~100ft). I received pm from Dustin who suggested to decrease settings to 85% and send him graphs. I will do this today. I dont think this is considered a spike if it lasts for longer than a moment.

This is a sustained boost during my runs with rpms always between 4500-5300 rpms. Small plateau on datalog as the car accelerates those particular rpms.

Can I turn down just the settings from 4500-5500 rpms? Or should I do all settings at all rpms the same?....I really like the power...
2007_E93 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-24-2008, 05:00 PM   #42
shiv@vishnu
Tuner
 
Drives: X1, 335i
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: SF Bay, CA

Posts: 17,616
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2007_E93 View Post
Appreciate input. I am at or just above sea level here (~100ft). I received pm from Dustin who suggested to decrease settings to 85% and send him graphs. I will do this today. I dont think this is considered a spike if it lasts for longer than a moment.

This is a sustained boost during my runs with rpms always between 4500-5300 rpms. Small plateau on datalog as the car accelerates those particular rpms.

Can I turn down just the settings from 4500-5500 rpms? Or should I do all settings at all rpms the same?....I really like the power...
Did u post a log up somewhere?

-shiv
shiv@vishnu is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-24-2008, 05:05 PM   #43
2007_E93
Captain
 
Drives: ?
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: ?

Posts: 604
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu View Post
Did u post a log up somewhere?

-shiv
Yes ,...here,...http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=108812

Post #15.

This is when I heard a rattle at WOT near redline and shift to higher gear. You can see where the car's rpms seems to stutter as I let off the gas with this weird rattle sound and stutter. No limp or codes thrown but just think I was lucky (IDK)

Will post more tonight as I am at work now and dont have graphs with me. Routinely I'm getting 15.3 psi at 4500-5300 rpms in all gears. Otherwise I am fine on boost pressures.
2007_E93 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-27-2008, 10:52 AM   #44
jonm42
Captain
 
Drives: too fast for conditions.
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Portland, OR

Posts: 615
iTrader: (2)

Chipped B6, your in box is full...
jonm42 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:48 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST