E90Post

ECS BMW

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Can you really get this much out of an intake?

08-05-2015, 04:35 PM   #1
refugeeofwar
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: Black 2011 BMW 328i xdrive

Garage List
Can you really get this much out of an intake?

Ok, so I was browsing the interwebz for parts for my car. Just random shit like smoked turn signals and whatever and found myself on turner's website. I came across this intake and they claim 12hp and 15ft-lb of torque. Out of a cold air intake?? Is this for real? I always thought you'd get less out of an intake than an exhaust system (not including headers) which is what, 5-7hp and torque on average?

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-11...ed-intake.aspx

$450 and a cakewalk install for 12/15 at the crank? Seems like the way to go, no?
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2015, 05:32 PM   #2
mecbain
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90 330i

short answer no, however if I do remember correctly this (and the dinan one) were one of the intakes that gave most gain compared to others, I don't remember how much, but it was obviously very far from the advertised values
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2015, 05:40 PM   #3
refugeeofwar
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Garage List
They say it was "dyno tuned", but don't put up any dyno charts... lol I'd love to see the actual numbers from someone that did the install.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2015, 06:00 PM   #4
GSTiDDY
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 328XI

Quote:
Originally Posted by refugeeofwar View Post
They say it was "dyno tuned", but don't put up any dyno charts... lol I'd love to see the actual numbers from someone that did the install.
Seems like 95% of the time, you can't depend on dyno results from anyone on the forum. Even the ones sayin " I'm gettin a dyno this week, I'll post results after!" Lol #justsayin
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2015, 06:01 PM   #5
mlifxs
Diamond Geezer
Rep
Drives: Jet Black 2007 328i Saloon

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mecbain View Post
short answer no, however if I do remember correctly this (and the dinan one) were one of the intakes that gave most gain compared to others, I don't remember how much, but it was obviously very far from the advertised values
Here's the thread by Axiom:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=918378

scroll over to page 7 to see the results begin to come in.
      08-05-2015, 06:56 PM   #6
Mike.
Internet Famous
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2010 328xi premium package

Garage List
2010 328 xi  [0.00]
dont waste your money

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlifxs View Post
Won't happen. Active Autowerke will ask the Governor for a reprieve on your behalf.
Appreciate 1
      08-05-2015, 07:06 PM   #7
refugeeofwar
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Here's the thread by Axiom:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=918378

scroll over to page 7 to see the results begin to come in.
Thanks for a link. I kinda wonder how much of a difference the tune makes, if any.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2015, 07:25 PM   #8
TheAxiom
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E92 6 Speed

Quote:
Thanks for a link. I kinda wonder how much of a difference the tune makes, if any.
That tune? Very little - the one after that made more and felt a LOT better.

If you plan to go all the way, save your money for the tune AFTER bolt ons.
      08-05-2015, 07:49 PM   #9
refugeeofwar
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAxiom View Post
That tune? Very little - the one after that made more and felt a LOT better.

If you plan to go all the way, save your money for the tune AFTER bolt ons.
Oh yeah, that's my overall plan. I wanna put on all the bolt-ons that I will want to do and then have AA or someone tune my car based on what I have
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2015, 08:36 PM   #10
mmmnot
Custom User Title
Iran
Rep
Drives: E92 328i

Quote:
Oh yeah, that's my overall plan. I wanna put on all the bolt-ons that I will want to do and then have AA or someone tune my car based on what I have
AFE or AA headers should be heavily considered.

Then you got the 330 stage three intake manifold.

SuperSprint secondary cat delete.

Followed by your choice of exhaust/muffler.

Top it off with a proper AA tune and you'll be just fine. Your bank account, may or may not be. But you and your car will be.
      08-05-2015, 08:56 PM   #11
refugeeofwar
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmnot View Post
AFE or AA headers should be heavily considered.

Then you got the 330 stage three intake manifold.

SuperSprint secondary cat delete.

Followed by your choice of exhaust/muffler.

Top it off with a proper AA tune and you'll be just fine. Your bank account, may or may not be. But you and your car will be.
I also live in a place with no emissions testing, so I can do whatever the hell I want as far as exhaust options go. I do HATE the rasp I've been hearing in vids of people with headers though. My goal in that area would be to get the most gains with the least amount of rasp as possible. I don't wanna go from sounding like a muscle car to sounding like a honda with a fart can on the back..lol
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2015, 09:43 PM   #12
Mike.
Internet Famous
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2010 328 xi  [0.00]
Quote:
I also live in a place with no emissions testing, so I can do whatever the hell I want as far as exhaust options go. I do HATE the rasp I've been hearing in vids of people with headers though. My goal in that area would be to get the most gains with the least amount of rasp as possible. I don't wanna go from sounding like a muscle car to sounding like a honda with a fart can on the back..lol
helmholtz resonator would do the trick, however, a bunch of math is involved

Quote:
Won't happen. Active Autowerke will ask the Governor for a reprieve on your behalf.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2015, 09:50 PM   #13
TheAxiom
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike. View Post
helmholtz resonator would do the trick, however, a bunch of math is involved
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeE92M3 View Post
I used a formula that I had seen on another thread for a different car (350z) Formula is V/WV (Velocity/Wavelength) standard.

V=1187 Ft/Sec for soundwaves (standard wavelength speed)

You have to find out what frequency (Hz) your drone is prevalent at. I measured anywhere from 160-180 hz, depending on what gear, in my car. So Lets say 165-175 Average. I will do 175 for the purpose of this solution.

1187(wavelength)/175 (hz, drone frequency) = 6.78

Take 6.78, divide it by 4 (conversion) (6.78/4) and you have 1.69 feet (14 inches)

The pipe needs to be at least 14 inches to cancel out the drone.

Hope this makes sense. It took me a few minutes to grasp it but once you measure the drone frequency with a microphone or app (I used a HZ app on my iphone), it is easy to do the math from there.
Like so
      08-06-2015, 05:06 AM   #14
refugeeofwar
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Like so
Idk who did your math, but at a glance I can tell you that 1.69 feet is about 20 1/4 inches, not 14...rofl.

Edit: and I live in a metric country

2nd Edit: after looking at this for a couple minutes, it seems really flawed. So what I gather from the first sentence is that the length of the pipe needed is equal to the velocity of a "standard soundwave" which I assume is through air, DIVIDED by the wavelength of the drone frequency, which this guy has stated as 175Hz, approx.

Then when he actually does the math, he inputs the sound wave velocity and calls it "(wavelength)", which is where it goes awry for me.

So if it's velocity/wavelength, then we need to find the wavelength:

sooo 1187 ft/sec / 175HZ(cycles/sec) = 6.78 ft/cycle. This is your wavelength.

THEN velocity/wavelength (as per his first sentence) would be 1187 ft/sec / 6.78 ft/cycle. This will give you (if you haven't figured it out already) 175cycles/sec or 175Hz. lol

So, what he says and what he does are two different things. He's saying it's velocity/wavelength but the math he's doing is velocity / drone frequency.

So moral of the story is that velocity/frequency and then divided by 4 gives you the quarter wavelength. I have no idea what the quarter wavelength has to do with eliminating drone (as it doesn't apply to the little knowledge of have of sound issues like resonance). Having said that, the quarter wavelength in this case is 20.35 inches, not 14.

Last edited by refugeeofwar; 08-06-2015 at 05:30 AM.
Appreciate 1
      08-06-2015, 07:46 AM   #15
Mike.
Internet Famous
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2010 328 xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Like so
Come to LI and figure it out for me? Ill buy you dinner

edit: OP this is what you should do, in this order, if you still want to keep that warranty

3 stage intake if you dont have it (wont void warranty--its a genuine bmw part)
-tune for that if you dont want to get headers

-the tune is pretty much undetectable (i had my tune when I still had my CPO)

Quote:
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2015, 09:47 AM   #16
TheSt|G
Resident Tamed Racing Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 911, 130is, E39 M5, E36 M3

Quote:
So get Supersprint headers, zero rasp and not made in Taiwan.
130is MSport 6MT/ SuperSprint Headers & Exhaust with Swain Tech Race Coat / DISA Manifold / EVOLVE Tune / TCK DA Coilovers / Euro CF Intake/Box / BMW v1 Wheel / BBS RGRs with PSS / F30 Brake Shield / BMW CF Spoiler & Diffuser / Blackline Tails / Rear Fogs Enabled / Front Fogs Delete / CDV Delete / BMW Black Kidneys / M5 Illuminated Knob / BMW Stripe
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2015, 09:48 AM   #17
hassmaschine
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i 6sp w/ sport package

Quote:
Idk who did your math, but at a glance I can tell you that 1.69 feet is about 20 1/4 inches, not 14...rofl.

2nd Edit: after looking at this for a couple minutes, it seems really flawed. So what I gather from the first sentence is that the length of the pipe needed is equal to the velocity of a "standard soundwave" which I assume is through air, DIVIDED by the wavelength of the drone frequency, which this guy has stated as 175Hz, approx.

Then when he actually does the math, he inputs the sound wave velocity and calls it "(wavelength)", which is where it goes awry for me.

THEN velocity/wavelength (as per his first sentence) would be 1187 ft/sec / 6.78 ft/cycle. This will give you (if you haven't figured it out already) 175cycles/sec or 175Hz. lol

So, what he says and what he does are two different things. He's saying it's velocity/wavelength but the math he's doing is velocity / drone frequency.

So moral of the story is that velocity/frequency and then divided by 4 gives you the quarter wavelength. I have no idea what the quarter wavelength has to do with eliminating drone (as it doesn't apply to the little knowledge of have of sound issues like resonance). Having said that, the quarter wavelength in this case is 20.35 inches, not 14.
also, doesn't the velocity of a soundwave change based on the density of the gas.. which changes with temperature.. which varies along the length of the exhaust?
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2015, 10:27 AM   #18
refugeeofwar
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by hassmaschine View Post
also, doesn't the velocity of a soundwave change based on the density of the gas.. which changes with temperature.. which varies along the length of the exhaust?
You're completely right Hass. I would guess that the assumption that this guy used for the velocity is an average speed approximation for STP (standard temperature and pressure). The accepted STP conditions are 0 degrees Celsius (32 F) and 100kPA (14.5psi) and we all know that at no point in your exhaust system is the exhaust at 0 degrees Celsius or anywhere near ambient air pressure. It's a VERY rough calculation indeed.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2015, 10:30 AM   #19
refugeeofwar
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike. View Post
Come to LI and figure it out for me? Ill buy you dinner

edit: OP this is what you should do, in this order, if you still want to keep that warranty

3 stage intake if you dont have it (wont void warranty--its a genuine bmw part)
-tune for that if you dont want to get headers

-the tune is pretty much undetectable (i had my tune when I still had my CPO)
Mike, keep in mind that my main warranty (everything except my wheels/tires and paint/undercoating) is up in a year, so I can always wait and then do whatever I want and not worry about it.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2015, 10:41 AM   #20
TheSt|G
Resident Tamed Racing Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 911, 130is, E39 M5, E36 M3

YMMV, but I never had any issue with warranty work. Had everything in my sig on the car.
130is MSport 6MT/ SuperSprint Headers & Exhaust with Swain Tech Race Coat / DISA Manifold / EVOLVE Tune / TCK DA Coilovers / Euro CF Intake/Box / BMW v1 Wheel / BBS RGRs with PSS / F30 Brake Shield / BMW CF Spoiler & Diffuser / Blackline Tails / Rear Fogs Enabled / Front Fogs Delete / CDV Delete / BMW Black Kidneys / M5 Illuminated Knob / BMW Stripe
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2015, 11:05 AM   #21
refugeeofwar
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Yeah. I've heard some good and bad stories with regards to warranty work. I don't get a great vibe from my dealership about it. I asked the guy that I bought my car from about wheel spacers and they were even hesitant about that. They basically said that if I had them, they would process the car normally but it was like everything had to be all hush hush so BMW Canada didn't find out about it, and we're talking wheel spacers. I don't get the warm and fuzzies from them so I'll just wait the year before I do anything extensive. Until then, I'll just save my money and do the little things to make the car look a little nicer for now. It's ok though, because it means that I can save up my money, and I'm not gonna make any impulse buys. I'll take my time, do my research, and when I'm ready, I'll do a bunch of mods at once. Because I live in a part of Canada where they salt the roads in the winter, I also store it for the winter, so I have a 4-month span or so to take my time and work on things. No need to rush.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2015, 11:59 AM   #22
TheAxiom
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:

I really need to get more sleep, but explain to me why he divided the ft/cyl by 4. I asked a friend last night, but he's a CE not a mechanical Engineering major and he an I were baffled.
Appreciate 0