E90Post
 


PYSPEED
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Damn squeaky brakes!!



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      08-02-2008, 01:10 AM   #23
McLuVan
Lieutenant General
 
McLuVan's Avatar
 
Drives: ///M3
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Socal~818~

Posts: 13,120
iTrader: (1)

normal
I would try to get aftermarket pads
__________________
McLuVan is offline   Vietnam
0
Reply With Quote
      08-04-2008, 03:22 PM   #24
lablueboy
Private First Class
 
lablueboy's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 335i
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: OK

Posts: 110
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by joonix214 View Post
This is interesting because I started getting the noise as well. I have an e90 330i 6MT and it mostly happens when the weather is extremely humid and hot here in MD. I took it to the dealer and they did the cleaning. The sound went away for about a week and it came back. I took it to the dealer again and they said it was normal (just like all the other posts here).

The squeaking noise gets really annoying. I'm usually lax about these kinds of things but this noise is pretty loud when the sound bounces off of the car starting off next to you from the traffic light. I sometimes hear it even over my music.

This noise is also very hard to reproduce, and does not squeak when I go to the dealership (go figure).

I'm sure they won't just replace the brake pads if I ask them to. Any other suggestions?

Drive it around for 10-15 minutes until you hear that squeaky noise, it will come on when the brake is hot, then take it to the dealer, and have the SA drive with you. That happens to my car too, I can hear it from both front and back wheels and was able to reproduced it for the service guys. Hopefully they will replace something.. I will find out later. It's ambrassing driving a 335 w/ noise like that when you pull from a stop light.
lablueboy is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-06-2008, 12:16 AM   #25
SinCity89
Private First Class
 
SinCity89's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 Montego Blue
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Las Vegas

Posts: 109
iTrader: (0)

Brakes

They should. BMW knows about this problem. I had mine in 3 times and on the third they replaced rear pads and sensors. Squeek is gone for almost two months now.

Right off my paperwork

10291 Service due per round table found that the rear pads are squeeking due to sensor touching rotor. Replaced rear pads and sensor per round table 9/07.
Note the date. 9/07 so they have know since then.
SinCity89 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-16-2008, 08:55 PM   #26
thefitter
New Member
 
Drives: 2007 335i, 2002 325i
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: NOR*CAL

Posts: 25
iTrader: (0)

Looks like I'm on my third go around with this issue. Both prior times they did complete brake jobs without any arguing once they heard it. I'm scheduled to take it in for a sunshade repair this week and I just started to hear it again today. It has only been a couple of months at the most since the last time they fixed it.

OP was about squeaking while starting from a dead stop. This is NOT NORMAL, do not let your dealers bullshit you.

The whole thing is just a pain in the ass inconvenience. Since I'm on my third event I wonder about the CA Lemon law applying???
thefitter is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-27-2008, 06:26 PM   #27
Silvr&Blk
Private First Class
 
Silvr&Blk's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 E90 330i Jet Blk
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Oaktown, Cali

Posts: 168
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefitter View Post
Looks like I'm on my third go around with this issue. Both prior times they did complete brake jobs without any arguing once they heard it. I'm scheduled to take it in for a sunshade repair this week and I just started to hear it again today. It has only been a couple of months at the most since the last time they fixed it.

OP was about squeaking while starting from a dead stop. This is NOT NORMAL, do not let your dealers bullshit you.

The whole thing is just a pain in the ass inconvenience. Since I'm on my third event I wonder about the CA Lemon law applying???
I just brought mine into the dealer for a brake squeal when the car goes 10MPH or under when the brake are hot. Luckily they didn't bullshit me by saying they couldn't reporduce the sounds and actually took the wheel off and found the the rear brake sensor bracket was broken and was rubbing. Ending up replacing my pads too even though they were still at 70% to eliminate the noise completely.

As for CA lemon law, the law states:

During the first 18 months or 18,000 miles, the "Lemon Law" presumes that a manufacturer has had a reasonable number of attempts to repair the vehicle if either (1) The same problem results in a condition that is likely to cause death or serious bodily injury if the vehicle is driven and the problem has been subject to repair two or more times by the manufacturer or its agents, and the buyer or lessee has at least once directly notified the manufacturer of the need for the repair of the problem as provided in the warranty or owner's manual or (2) The same problem has been subject to repair four or more times by the manufacturer or its agents and the buyer has at least once directly notified the manufacturer of the need for the repair of the problem as provided in the warranty or owner's manual or (3) The vehicle is out of service because of the repair of any number of problems by the manufacturer or its agents for a cumulative total of more than 30 days since delivery of the vehicle.

IMO - It would be a tough sell for squeaky brakes to qualify under the lemon law but since the magic number is 4 repairs, you might as well lodge a complaint on your 3rd visit and put them on notice that you mean business...
Silvr&Blk is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-04-2008, 01:57 AM   #28
Kensta335
Brigadier General
 
Kensta335's Avatar
 
Drives: 335i Coupe
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: So Cal 626

Posts: 3,633
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvr&Blk View Post
I just brought mine into the dealer for a brake squeal when the car goes 10MPH or under when the brake are hot. Luckily they didn't bullshit me by saying they couldn't reporduce the sounds and actually took the wheel off and found the the rear brake sensor bracket was broken and was rubbing. Ending up replacing my pads too even though they were still at 70% to eliminate the noise completely.

As for CA lemon law, the law states:

During the first 18 months or 18,000 miles, the "Lemon Law" presumes that a manufacturer has had a reasonable number of attempts to repair the vehicle if either (1) The same problem results in a condition that is likely to cause death or serious bodily injury if the vehicle is driven and the problem has been subject to repair two or more times by the manufacturer or its agents, and the buyer or lessee has at least once directly notified the manufacturer of the need for the repair of the problem as provided in the warranty or owner's manual or (2) The same problem has been subject to repair four or more times by the manufacturer or its agents and the buyer has at least once directly notified the manufacturer of the need for the repair of the problem as provided in the warranty or owner's manual or (3) The vehicle is out of service because of the repair of any number of problems by the manufacturer or its agents for a cumulative total of more than 30 days since delivery of the vehicle.

IMO - It would be a tough sell for squeaky brakes to qualify under the lemon law but since the magic number is 4 repairs, you might as well lodge a complaint on your 3rd visit and put them on notice that you mean business...
I have this same issue. When I'm in first and second gear I can hear it squeak. It gets louder especially when making right turns. I brought my car in today to get it checked out and the dealership called me back saying nothing is wrong with the brakes. Says everything is ok. Is there anything else that I can have them check? It's so damn annoying.
Kensta335 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-22-2008, 04:13 PM   #29
kaleb
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: '09 M3 Sedan DCT
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Dallas, TX

Posts: 259
iTrader: (0)

Just thought I would contribute...

Took it to the dealer w/ complaint of low speed rear brake squeak. They "cleaned and lubricated" the rear brakes, which I can confirm by visual inspection means they put some anti-squeal on the rear pads at the bare minimum. It's the copper colored stuff. Anyway problem solved for now.
__________________
Aug 2013: 2009 M3 Sedan DCT - Alpine White / Anthracite Speed Cloth
Mods: AA Filter, Fabspeed X-Pipe, Black grills and gills.
Sold in 2011: 2007 335i Coupe MT - Space Gray Metallic / Coral Red
Tracks driven: Nürburgring Nordschleife (05/2011), Eagles Canyon Raceway, MotorSport Ranch
kaleb is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-22-2008, 04:17 PM   #30
Joonsup
Lieutenant General
 
Joonsup's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3, E30 325i
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Bay Area

Posts: 17,311
iTrader: (8)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [4.75]
Send a message via AIM to Joonsup
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaleb View Post
Just thought I would contribute...

Took it to the dealer w/ complaint of low speed rear brake squeak. They "cleaned and lubricated" the rear brakes, which I can confirm by visual inspection means they put some anti-squeal on the rear pads at the bare minimum. It's the copper colored stuff. Anyway problem solved for now.
i have a feeling that the sound will come back within a few weeks. keep us posted
Joonsup is offline   South Korea
0
Reply With Quote
      12-23-2008, 03:11 AM   #31
Joker330i
MURK3D
 
Joker330i's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 330i
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: L.A., CA

Posts: 1,045
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to Joker330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by O-cha View Post
Take

it

to

the

dealer.
+1
they completely replaced my brakes. calipers, sensor, you name it, they replaced it
__________________
DDM Tuning HID Fogs, RD Angel Eyes V2, RD License Plate Lights, White LED Blinkers, Gloss Black Grill/330i Badge/Window Trim/Lower Slats, M-Tech Spoiler, Black Roundels, Matte Black Shift Knob, Blacklines, Red Air Scoops, Muffler Delete w/ 3.5 inch tips, Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 225/40/18 255/35/18
Joker330i is offline   Iran
0
Reply With Quote
      12-23-2008, 03:47 AM   #32
///M3andC63
Major
 
///M3andC63's Avatar
 
Drives: ///M3 Coupe, C63 AMG
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: San Clemente, CA

Posts: 1,040
iTrader: (9)

I had my car serviced for this motha fudgin squeeking. They said they fixed it, but I still hear it. EEEEEEEEEEEK EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEK, I hate my life. lmao
__________________


2013 E92 ///M3 | Akrapovic GT4 | HRE C20 | KW Clubsports | Recaro Pole Position | Mode Carbon | V1 | My Daily
2013 C63 AMG | Mode Carbon | V1 | Wifes Daily
///M3andC63 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-23-2008, 04:05 AM   #33
mJ335
Amateur Post Whore
 
mJ335's Avatar
 
Drives: 07 E90 SparkLiN G. 335i
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: SocaL

Posts: 3,037
iTrader: (17)

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [0.00]
I'm used to this now. I've been to the dealer regarding this a total of 3 times, they tried fixing it and it worked for like a month or two, but eventually it comes back. All 335 owners have this because of the larger performance brakes compared to the normal ones.
__________________
Go WiTh ThE FLoW.

|BL|RS|PIAA|CFE|CFMC|SSM|CFG|CFDP|ABG|M6|AFE|MTECH |RPI|JB+|CSLT|KWSC|
mJ335 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-23-2008, 11:20 AM   #34
GregL
Brigadier General
 
GregL's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 C350 4Matic
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: GTA

Posts: 3,623
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mJ335 View Post
I'm used to this now. I've been to the dealer regarding this a total of 3 times, they tried fixing it and it worked for like a month or two, but eventually it comes back. All 335 owners have this because of the larger performance brakes compared to the normal ones.
I wouldn't say it's strictly limited to the 335. I have it on my 330 too, but *thankfully* only in reverse.
__________________
2010 Mercedes-Benz C350 4Matic
2006 BMW 330xi - Gone
GregL is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      12-23-2008, 02:37 PM   #35
tomtom
Captain
 
tomtom's Avatar
 
Drives: e92 335i
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: ontario

Posts: 986
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregL View Post
I wouldn't say it's strictly limited to the 335. I have it on my 330 too, but *thankfully* only in reverse.

does going aftermarket brakes solve this?
tomtom is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      12-28-2008, 02:18 AM   #36
335viaSTi
Colonel
 
335viaSTi's Avatar
 
Drives: LeMans Blue E90 ///M3
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: WPAFB, OH

Posts: 2,365
iTrader: (3)

took mine to the dealer, they sprayed the crap on them, it solved the problem for about oh a day or two then it came back. we were told it was normal. when i get another chance i WILL be taking my car back to get this fixed. it's annoying as hell and shouldn't be "normal."
__________________
E90 ///M3 [LeMans / Silver Novillo Extended / Carbon Leather Trim / DCT / Everything] I picked DCT because I want to be more involved in my un-involvement.
335viaSTi is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-28-2008, 02:26 AM   #37
Malbolge
Major General
 
Malbolge's Avatar
 
Drives: TiAg Z4 Coupe 3.0Si
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: EE

Posts: 5,228
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by shragon View Post
yea, it pretty much happens on on e9x's. i took mine to the dealer and the tech said it's normal.
yup. it's common, had same thing, they 'cleaned' them during last service but it returned but not as badly half a year later...
__________________
'07 TiAg BMW Z4 Coupe 3.0si / Everything
Malbolge is offline   Estonia
0
Reply With Quote
      12-29-2008, 11:12 AM   #38
Joonsup
Lieutenant General
 
Joonsup's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3, E30 325i
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Bay Area

Posts: 17,311
iTrader: (8)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [4.75]
Send a message via AIM to Joonsup
they need to replace instead of clean. I remember there was a service bulletin on the squeaky brakes. If you've taken it to the dealer 3x and they only cleaned them, I would take it to another dealer. I went to one dealer and they cleaned the pads, etc.. Sound went away for a couple weeks and it came back. So I took it to a different dealer and they replaced the entire caliper. Sound has not come back since May. Don't let the dealership tell you it's normal. It's not normal. It's common, but not normal.

The only difficult part is trying to reproduce the sound when you take it in and if you take it in first thing int he morning the brakes may not be warm enough to reproduce the squeaky noise so I would drive it around for a while
Joonsup is offline   South Korea
0
Reply With Quote
      02-02-2009, 12:49 PM   #39
dlbrooks18
Brigadier General
 
dlbrooks18's Avatar
 
Drives: e90 335i
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Los Angeles

Posts: 3,565
iTrader: (2)

same problem here too.. sucks!
dlbrooks18 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-02-2009, 05:57 PM   #40
Dillusion
is ross
 
Drives: E90
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: South Fl

Posts: 191
iTrader: (1)

Send a message via AIM to Dillusion
Quote:
Originally Posted by shragon View Post
yea, it pretty much happens on on e9x's. i took mine to the dealer and the tech said it's normal.
I took it to the dealer after reading some E92's have had pads where the sensor hits the rotor; told them that. They called me back said I was right and replaced all pads for free. I have an E90 too, not an E92...
__________________
Dillusion is offline   France
0
Reply With Quote
      02-02-2009, 06:15 PM   #41
ehhhwik
Brigadier General
 
ehhhwik's Avatar
 
Drives: 09' BMW 335d, 07' BMW E92 328i
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Vancouver, BC

Posts: 3,432
iTrader: (5)

i just replaced all 4 pads last week and all my squeaking problems were gone...at least for now...
__________________
Current: 09' E90 335d - Titanium Silver/Black Leatherette/Sports Package/6AT Paddle Shift/USB Integration/19" Staggered Breyton GT Gloss Black

Retired: 07' E92 328i (Jet Black)
ehhhwik is offline   Hong Kong
0
Reply With Quote
      02-05-2009, 05:42 PM   #42
dtg
Private
 
Drives: 335i Coupe
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Big D

Posts: 84
iTrader: (2)

THANKS VERY MUCH!!! This is very informative and gives me hope --- I took my car in for the same problem and the Douche Bags told me it's normal and it's being caused by dust build-up on the pads because I do alot of stop and go driving with very light braking --- and that I should brake very hard from time to time to get rid of the dust... WTF!!!

Anyway, after reading this thread I think I have some ammo to go back with.

THANKS
dtg is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-10-2009, 09:03 PM   #43
Alpha
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: 07 335
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Anywhere

Posts: 39
iTrader: (0)

Like someone else stated, this is a common problem. Take this service bulletin to them. Also tell the dealer that you tried cleaning and sanding the brakes and that it only delays the problem(which is what it does) so you don't have to go like four times to the dealership.

http://www.bmwtis.com/tsb/bulletins/...p/B340808g.htm
Alpha is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-26-2009, 09:47 PM   #44
bbbc
Doorlock Fixed :D
 
Drives: 2007 335i
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Calgary, Canada

Posts: 22
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
Like someone else stated, this is a common problem. Take this service bulletin to them. Also tell the dealer that you tried cleaning and sanding the brakes and that it only delays the problem(which is what it does) so you don't have to go like four times to the dealership.

http://www.bmwtis.com/tsb/bulletins/...p/B340808g.htm
Wow thank you! I gotta bring this in with me ... last time I went, they told me there was no sound.

It really got on my nerves today as I was in a parking lot ...
bbbc is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:46 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST