E90Post
 


Bimmer Retrofit
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Active Autowerke Short Shifter Help



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-28-2008, 01:50 AM   #23
san~man
Tired
 
san~man's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW-less
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: USA

Posts: 2,607
iTrader: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevkaz View Post
here is only one thing about the 335 that irks me, and it is the 1-2 shift!
Even with your CDV?
__________________
BMW-less
san~man is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-28-2008, 01:51 AM   #24
down4it
Banned
 
Drives: E92 335i
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: SoCal

Posts: 1,743
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewflk View Post
This really blows. I usually donít ever order anything until I see a customer review but I decided to take a chance and ordered this SSK last week. I donít have access to a lift so Iíll have to pay someone for an install.

I knew it came with a modified carrier but I thought it was done to improve the performance. Is there any chance that the carrier was modified to improve the geometry rather than just to fit an existing lever? (It actually looks like all AA shift kits come with a modified carrier)

Down4it - Thanks for the review!
Nothing about the carrier does anything for performance trust me... It just has a machined adapter on it to fit their universal Lever... They didnt even include the stock clips for the carrier so if you break yours while pulling it off you are screwed... Just a G@Y company trying to sell us crap for a lot of money... Active Autowerke is a big I should have waited for the UUC... They usually make the best SSK for BMW...
down4it is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-28-2008, 01:51 AM   #25
san~man
Tired
 
san~man's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW-less
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: USA

Posts: 2,607
iTrader: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by down4it View Post
It is a really good SSK IMO I'm just really upset with the lack of information and the E36 M3 instruction manual...
How does this compare to the OEM SSK (assuming you've driven one with it)?
__________________
BMW-less
san~man is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-28-2008, 01:54 AM   #26
down4it
Banned
 
Drives: E92 335i
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: SoCal

Posts: 1,743
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by san~man View Post
How does this compare to the OEM SSK (assuming you've driven one with it)?
The throws are shorter on the AA than the OEM SSK and it feels better going into the gears... I have the AA SSK and the CDV mod so the car shifts really nice now but its not like a SSK on a STI or EVO where 1st to 2nd is like 2 inches... It makes 1st to 2nd a lot faster to get into than it used to be...
down4it is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-28-2008, 01:57 AM   #27
san~man
Tired
 
san~man's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW-less
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: USA

Posts: 2,607
iTrader: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by down4it View Post
The throws are shorter on the AA than the OEM SSK and it feels better going into the gears... I have the AA SSK and the CDV mod so the car shifts really nice now but its not like a SSK on a STI or EVO where 1st to 2nd is like 2 inches... It makes 1st to 2nd a lot faster to get into than it used to be...
Good to know, thanks! How much shorter would you say the throw is between the 2?

I've already bought the OEM SSK (couldn't pass it up at the price) and the Riss CDV, and will have my friend put it in sometime in the next two weeks. Even though the throw may not be as short as the AA unit, I'm sure it'll be a vast improvement over stock.
__________________
BMW-less
san~man is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-28-2008, 02:01 AM   #28
down4it
Banned
 
Drives: E92 335i
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: SoCal

Posts: 1,743
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by san~man View Post
Good to know, thanks! How much shorter would you say the throw is between the 2?

I've already bought the OEM SSK (couldn't pass it up at the price) and the Riss CDV, and will have my friend put it in sometime in the next two weeks. Even though the throw may not be as short as the AA unit, I'm sure it'll be a vast improvement over stock.
Its like a 5% difference anyway... Trust me i would have went with the OEM if i knew about this whole extra carrier part before i bought the damn thing...
down4it is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-28-2008, 02:06 AM   #29
san~man
Tired
 
san~man's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW-less
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: USA

Posts: 2,607
iTrader: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by down4it View Post
Its like a 5% difference anyway... Trust me i would have went with the OEM if i knew about this whole extra carrier part before i bought the damn thing...
Thanks again for the info. Your experience will surely help others in their decision
__________________
BMW-less
san~man is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-28-2008, 02:28 AM   #30
youngbuck
Private First Class
 
Drives: e92 M3 ZCP
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Emerald City, WA

Posts: 178
iTrader: (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by san~man View Post
Thanks again for the info. Your experience will surely help others in their decision
Much obliged down4it!
__________________
youngbuck is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-28-2008, 02:44 AM   #31
XPO186
Colonel
 
XPO186's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 335i
Join Date: May 2007
Location: SoCal

Posts: 2,737
iTrader: (19)

Quote:
Originally Posted by down4it View Post
Nothing about the carrier does anything for performance trust me... It just has a machined adapter on it to fit their universal Lever... They didnt even include the stock clips for the carrier so if you break yours while pulling it off you are screwed... Just a G@Y company trying to sell us crap for a lot of money... Active Autowerke is a big I should have waited for the UUC... They usually make the best SSK for BMW...
Thanks for the input man... I immediately asked AA for pics and some details about the kit and they would not get back to me about my questions.

I feel bad you had to put up w/that crap but you've done us a great favor (took one for the team tho, unfortunately).

Yeah the UUC one looks really good and I wish they would just move along already and release one for E92s.
__________________
XPO186 is offline   Philippines
0
Reply With Quote
      01-28-2008, 03:22 AM   #32
down4it
Banned
 
Drives: E92 335i
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: SoCal

Posts: 1,743
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by XPO186 View Post
Thanks for the input man... I immediately asked AA for pics and some details about the kit and they would not get back to me about my questions.

I feel bad you had to put up w/that crap but you've done us a great favor (took one for the team tho, unfortunately).

Yeah the UUC one looks really good and I wish they would just move along already and release one for E92s.
With the UUC one you have to modify the carrier too but it doesnt look like you have to remove it, just install an adapter with 2 screws, looks like it can be done with an allen key... UUC already released the SSK for the 335 and the exhaust... Go on the site and in the search just type 335i.
down4it is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-28-2008, 10:50 AM   #33
kevkaz
First Lieutenant
 
kevkaz's Avatar
 
Drives: Alpinweiss 2009 E92 M3
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Chicagoland

Posts: 367
iTrader: (3)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by san~man View Post
Even with your CDV?
It got better, but it is still not so great, especially compared to the rest of the shifts on this car.
__________________

2009 E92 M3 - 7/3/09 ED, 8/17/09 redelivery
1997 E36 M3 - Track Rat
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland

kevkaz is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-28-2008, 11:31 AM   #34
hov333
Captain
 
Drives: 2008 e92 335xi
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Boston, MA

Posts: 959
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to hov333
thanks a lot for this info down4it! much appreciated
hov333 is offline   Armenia
0
Reply With Quote
      01-28-2008, 11:45 AM   #35
Omar@ActiveAutowerke
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Miami

Posts: 1,783
iTrader: (1)

Sorry for the lack of info. Anyone having issues with install please give us a call, 305.233.9300. We will have a tech answer any questions regarding install.
Omar@ActiveAutowerke is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-28-2008, 12:01 PM   #36
Omar@ActiveAutowerke
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Miami

Posts: 1,783
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by down4it View Post
Nothing about the carrier does anything for performance trust me... It just has a machined adapter on it to fit their universal Lever... They didnt even include the stock clips for the carrier so if you break yours while pulling it off you are screwed... Just a G@Y company trying to sell us crap for a lot of money... Active Autowerke is a big I should have waited for the UUC... They usually make the best SSK for BMW...
When designing our short shifter our first objective was to obtain a shorter throw by creating a higher mechanical leverage. Most short shifter kits become notchy after doing this. The "machined adapter" is not designed for a universal lever it is actually designed so the shifting action still follows the factory motion/plane. Without this "machined adapter" the whole system would be off and the plane would not be parralel causing the shifter to be extremely notchy.

As far as the clips not being included I apologize for this. The instructions do state that we include clips but the first 30 kits did not have this included due to an error on our part. We have already adressed this issue.

Thanks.
Omar@ActiveAutowerke is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-28-2008, 12:10 PM   #37
Andrew@ET
Brigadier General
 
Drives: Red thing
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Earth

Posts: 4,041
iTrader: (9)

i sat in the aa 335 on sat the shifts felt amazing ! I have not felt the oem but i do like the idea of the shift knob being in the same spot with shorter shifts.


I loved it
Andrew@ET is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-28-2008, 12:35 PM   #38
BoostedBMW
Moderator
 
BoostedBMW's Avatar
 
Drives: TiAg E92 335
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Raleigh, NC

Posts: 6,787
iTrader: (14)

Garage List
2003 S2000  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to BoostedBMW
I don't care how it feels... with an install like that I don't think I'll be touching that with a 10ft pole. I ordered the OEM short shift lever and with the shorter M knob it should feel pretty good. Only thing that blows is that I ordered the damn thing a few weeks ago and still haven't gotten it.
__________________
-Michael.
Berlina Black S2000 CR is now in the garage

l 19" Rial Daytona Race l KW V2 l Eisenhaus Race Exhaust l
BoostedBMW is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-28-2008, 01:27 PM   #39
down4it
Banned
 
Drives: E92 335i
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: SoCal

Posts: 1,743
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamibusta69 View Post
i sat in the aa 335 on sat the shifts felt amazing ! I have not felt the oem but i do like the idea of the shift knob being in the same spot with shorter shifts.


I loved it
It is a good kit and it does feel great but its just not right to do what AA did to get them out faster without proper instructions, pictures, or clips... I still have it in my car with the AA logo on the Shift knob, so im a little pissed but its a nice kit and its in already so thats that... On to the next mod...
down4it is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-28-2008, 01:36 PM   #40
txusa03
Major General
 
Drives: TS330iPPSP6MT
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Planet Earth

Posts: 6,567
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by down4it View Post
It is a good kit and it does feel great but its just not right to do what AA did to get them out faster without proper instructions, pictures, or clips... I still have it in my car with the AA logo on the Shift knob, so im a little pissed but its a nice kit and its in already so thats that... On to the next mod...
How come you cannot release picture of AA products that you have purchased? Help me understand that part pls.
__________________
under construction!
txusa03 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-28-2008, 01:43 PM   #41
san~man
Tired
 
san~man's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW-less
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: USA

Posts: 2,607
iTrader: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by txusa03 View Post
How come you cannot release picture of AA products that you have purchased? Help me understand that part pls.
He probably didn't take any pics of it prior to installation. There was a pic of the parts posted earlier.
__________________
BMW-less
san~man is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-28-2008, 02:24 PM   #42
down4it
Banned
 
Drives: E92 335i
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: SoCal

Posts: 1,743
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by txusa03 View Post
How come you cannot release picture of AA products that you have purchased? Help me understand that part pls.
I posted pics of all the stock parts removed, that is what comes in the kit but AA's version... I could not take pics of the actual AA parts because they are installed in my car and i did not have a camera at the time of installation, plus its not my responsibility to post pics of AA's SSK, i will leave that to AA.
down4it is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-28-2008, 03:10 PM   #43
txusa03
Major General
 
Drives: TS330iPPSP6MT
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Planet Earth

Posts: 6,567
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by down4it View Post
I posted pics of all the stock parts removed, that is what comes in the kit but AA's version... I could not take pics of the actual AA parts because they are installed in my car and i did not have a camera at the time of installation, plus its not my responsibility to post pics of AA's SSK, i will leave that to AA.
My mistake, I got confused in reading all the replies. It is all clear to me now with your above statement.

Just to add my own experience, I have done a DIY oem SSK on an e90i 330 without a lift and I do not have to mess with the shift carrier and I tell ya, it was some what of a pain to work undeneath the car with only jacks (very little room). I can only imagine what it would have been if I had to remove the additional carrier. Have a safe mod everyone when working underneath your car. When in doubt, ask question and don't push it or rush it.
__________________
under construction!
txusa03 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-28-2008, 08:34 PM   #44
kevkaz
First Lieutenant
 
kevkaz's Avatar
 
Drives: Alpinweiss 2009 E92 M3
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Chicagoland

Posts: 367
iTrader: (3)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Active Autowerke View Post
Sorry for the lack of info. Anyone having issues with install please give us a call, 305.233.9300. We will have a tech answer any questions regarding install.
Do you really need to drop the trans? Do I need a lift to do this? I know I can call but I think a bunch of us have the same question...
__________________

2009 E92 M3 - 7/3/09 ED, 8/17/09 redelivery
1997 E36 M3 - Track Rat
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland

kevkaz is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:34 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST