E90Post
 


 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > eek steering wheel locked!



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-04-2008, 07:35 PM   #1
Rats13
Enlisted Member
 
Rats13's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Posts: 43
iTrader: (0)

Angry eek steering wheel locked!

I went to go home from work the other night and my steering wheel was locked. Fortunately the BMW assist lady was able to talk me through getting it released. I'm glad I renewed. It was worth it not to get towed or picked up even just that once.

Same thing happened this morning and the BMW assist fix got me going.

Guess I'm off to the dealer for service.

Did a and looks to be known issue
Rats13 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-04-2008, 07:45 PM   #2
canucklion
pull my finger to get your kinder® surprise
 
canucklion's Avatar
 
Drives: circles around you
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Toronto, Canada

Posts: 10,454
iTrader: (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rats13 View Post
Guess I'm off to the dealer for service.

Did a and looks to be known issue
yes and yes. Usually what I do is to insert the fob repeatedly until it unlocks.
__________________
canucklion is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      02-04-2008, 07:49 PM   #3
Mattscott
Major General
 
Mattscott's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 335i E90
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Beaumont, CA

Posts: 8,327
iTrader: (2)

Send a message via AIM to Mattscott
happened to me too, but I had to have it towed to the dealer and have my software updated
__________________
Legal Disclaimer: Anything I or anyone else says about my vehicle on this website(e90post.com or any affiliated or nonaffiliated sites), pertaining to modifications, is only to gain acceptance from my/our peers, and does not actually represent anything actually existing on my car, and thus, cannot be held against me in any issues, i.e. warranty claims, that may arise.
Mattscott is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-04-2008, 08:28 PM   #4
r3amir
Lieutenant
 
r3amir's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 535i 2012 TSX
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Las Vegas

Posts: 418
iTrader: (0)

It happened with me too
__________________
2011 535i Alpine White, Oyster/Black leather, Sports Package, Premium Package 1, Sports Auto Transmission, Navigation, 4 zone climate control, Convenience Package

2006 325i Arctic Metallic, Grey leather, Steptronic,Premium Package
r3amir is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-04-2008, 09:35 PM   #5
Neurorad
Major
 
Neurorad's Avatar
 
Drives: 330xi 6MT Blk/Blk SP
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Location, Location

Posts: 1,212
iTrader: (0)

Happened to me several times about 6 months ago, over a 2 week period. No issues since. SA recently told me not to stop the car with the wheels turned, like that would fix it.

I'll be sure to have the steering column replaced before the warranty is up.
Neurorad is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-05-2008, 03:09 PM   #6
Rats13
Enlisted Member
 
Rats13's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Posts: 43
iTrader: (0)

The fix the BMW assist person gave me was get out of the car, lock the door and us the manual key insert in the FOB to open the door. After that I insert the key (I have CA) and it starts.

Due for brake fluid change anyways so hopefully they can address this issue then.
Rats13 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-05-2008, 03:11 PM   #7
Brunotheboxer
Colonel
 
Brunotheboxer's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 Shelby GT500.
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Boston/Cape Cod

Posts: 2,999
iTrader: (0)

this happens to my car about once a month. pain in the balls if you ask me.
__________________


"...I maybe drunk, but you're ugly, and I can sober up..."
Brunotheboxer is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-05-2008, 03:39 PM   #8
E90330iS
Major General
 
Drives: E90 330i
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Arcadia, California

Posts: 6,324
iTrader: (56)

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to E90330iS Send a message via MSN to E90330iS Send a message via Skype™ to E90330iS
Just turn your wheel to the left as hard as you can and start the engine. Usually the steering column just blocks your ignition process.
__________________
1. E90 325i/328i/330i Eisenmann Race Exhaust 2 x 76mm (Used for 30000 miles) $680 OBO
2. E90 M3 Jet Black Front Bumper $120 OBO
3. E90 M3 Style CF Trunk Spoiler $80 OBO
E90330iS is offline   Germany
0
Reply With Quote
      02-05-2008, 04:30 PM   #9
Rats13
Enlisted Member
 
Rats13's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Posts: 43
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90330iS View Post
Just turn your wheel to the left as hard as you can and start the engine. Usually the steering column just blocks your ignition process.
That was the first thing the BMW Assist person had me do. No soap.

Went to lunch just now. Happened twice to me

Manual key entry seemed to fix.

Gonna call the dealer right now.
Rats13 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-05-2008, 09:05 PM   #10
AH
Major
 
AH's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 320i
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Indonesia

Posts: 1,165
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 E90  [0.00]
Happened to me last year.... dealer replaced the steering wheel column, and it's never occur again. The dealer also told me not to press the brake at the same time inserting the fob, as it might interfere the ignition process. He suggested inserting the fob first, wait about 5 seconds and press brake pedal to start the car. So far, it works well for me.
__________________

Mods: Remus, Blacklines, Hartge, ACS, Breyton, Eibach, 20" Lative
AH is offline   Indonesia
0
Reply With Quote
      02-05-2008, 09:21 PM   #11
darkcloud
Colonel
 
darkcloud's Avatar
 
Drives: 09 VW JSW
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: cleveland, oh

Posts: 2,387
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to darkcloud
haha stupid. No offense but if you can't figure out how to unlock your steering wheel w/o calling Assist then maybe you shouldn't have a car.

You are supposed to be able to manually lock your steering wheel when parking on steep grades, thus locking your tires facing the curb so that if the car falls out of park it won't go anywhere. All you do is turn your wheels in the desired direction, turn the car off and turn the wheel in the same direction until it locks. To unlock the steering wheel you just turn it hard in one direction, insert the key and start the car.

If you didn't know this then BMW Assist needs to figure out a way to reach through the speakers, smack you, then take your keys and the title to the car back.
__________________

retired 06 E90 325i

New: 09 VW Platinum Grey Jetta Sportwagen 2.0T SEL w/DSG, panoramic sunroof and Ipod adapter
darkcloud is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-05-2008, 09:26 PM   #12
AndrewAZ
Major
 
AndrewAZ's Avatar
 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: CA

Posts: 1,244
iTrader: (0)

I am still trying to figure out if this is a joke or not..
AndrewAZ is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-05-2008, 09:30 PM   #13
darkcloud
Colonel
 
darkcloud's Avatar
 
Drives: 09 VW JSW
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: cleveland, oh

Posts: 2,387
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to darkcloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewAZ View Post
I am still trying to figure out if this is a joke or not..
Tell me about it. Steering wheels have been capable of locking for a long long time.

The stupid thing is the OP and others probably locked the steering wheel inadvertently when getting out of the car maybe by using the steering wheel as a assist to get out of their car. Then come back and complain like its the cars fault.
__________________

retired 06 E90 325i

New: 09 VW Platinum Grey Jetta Sportwagen 2.0T SEL w/DSG, panoramic sunroof and Ipod adapter
darkcloud is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-05-2008, 09:32 PM   #14
AndrewAZ
Major
 
AndrewAZ's Avatar
 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: CA

Posts: 1,244
iTrader: (0)

Reminds me of the blondstar "help ive locked myself inside my car and the keys are outside and my windows are up.... and the keys are outside".. classic


AndrewAZ is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-05-2008, 09:38 PM   #15
darkcloud
Colonel
 
darkcloud's Avatar
 
Drives: 09 VW JSW
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: cleveland, oh

Posts: 2,387
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to darkcloud


That's the OP

"HELP ME BMW ASSIST!! MY STEERING WHEEL IS LOCKED! Even though I've owned numerous cars I still don't know how to unlock a locked steering wheel. I can't believe my state allows me to operate a car. What do I do?"

"Damn you BMW for having a steering wheel that locks like every car built in the world! Now I'm going to bring my car in to the stealership and have them fix my perfectly good steering column cuz I don't know how to function a locking steering wheel"

No wonder BMW owners are looked down upon. When I talk to my SA he tells me what customers bring their cars in for and some of it is the dumbest shit
__________________

retired 06 E90 325i

New: 09 VW Platinum Grey Jetta Sportwagen 2.0T SEL w/DSG, panoramic sunroof and Ipod adapter
darkcloud is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-05-2008, 09:43 PM   #16
mr. slim
baby post whore
 
mr. slim's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 Monaco Blue 330i
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Los Angeles/Eagle Rock

Posts: 1,322
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to mr. slim
i had this happen to me when it was like 20 degrees outside...
__________________
2006 330i.monacau blue.black leather.sports.premium.
mod(s): noyka jdm fogs
mr. slim is offline   Philippines
0
Reply With Quote
      02-05-2008, 09:45 PM   #17
darkcloud
Colonel
 
darkcloud's Avatar
 
Drives: 09 VW JSW
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: cleveland, oh

Posts: 2,387
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to darkcloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. slim View Post
i had this happen to me when it was like 20 degrees outside...
Did you know how to fix it or did you call BMW Assist or have your car towed to the dealership
__________________

retired 06 E90 325i

New: 09 VW Platinum Grey Jetta Sportwagen 2.0T SEL w/DSG, panoramic sunroof and Ipod adapter
darkcloud is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-06-2008, 03:45 AM   #18
Luongo
First Lieutenant
 
Luongo's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 428i M SPORT 6MT
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Chicago, Illinois

Posts: 382
iTrader: (2)

It happened to me frequently.

I mentioned this to the service adviser and he ended up ordering the whole steering column to be replaced.

He told me that I wasn't the first one with this problem.
Luongo is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      02-06-2008, 02:03 PM   #19
Rats13
Enlisted Member
 
Rats13's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Posts: 43
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkcloud View Post
haha stupid. No offense but if you can't figure out how to unlock your steering wheel w/o calling Assist then maybe you shouldn't have a car.

You are supposed to be able to manually lock your steering wheel when parking on steep grades, thus locking your tires facing the curb so that if the car falls out of park it won't go anywhere. All you do is turn your wheels in the desired direction, turn the car off and turn the wheel in the same direction until it locks. To unlock the steering wheel you just turn it hard in one direction, insert the key and start the car.

If you didn't know this then BMW Assist needs to figure out a way to reach through the speakers, smack you, then take your keys and the title to the car back.
Interesting approach. Call someone stupid (no offense). For having trouble with a known issue on a car. um HELLO...TURNING THE STEERING WHEEL DIDN'T WORK!!!!!!

People are have their steering wheel replaced because of this issue. To reset my steering wheel after normal straight parking I have had to get out of the car and manually unlock the door with the key in my FOB and then the car starts. So I'm an idiot and should not be driving a BMW cuz I don't know that?

WTF! Are you an arrogant ass in RL or just on message boards(no offense)???

Last edited by Rats13; 02-06-2008 at 02:41 PM.
Rats13 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-06-2008, 08:05 PM   #20
volkswackin
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: too broke for a BMW
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: i get around..

Posts: 1,911
iTrader: (1)

the fix is no longer to replace the column...its a software reprogram from what i remember...but im sure some cars actually need the column replaced
volkswackin is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-06-2008, 08:14 PM   #21
TTG
...
 
TTG's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 E92 M3
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Seattle, WA

Posts: 2,853
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkcloud View Post


That's the OP

"HELP ME BMW ASSIST!! MY STEERING WHEEL IS LOCKED! Even though I've owned numerous cars I still don't know how to unlock a locked steering wheel. I can't believe my state allows me to operate a car. What do I do?"

"Damn you BMW for having a steering wheel that locks like every car built in the world! Now I'm going to bring my car in to the stealership and have them fix my perfectly good steering column cuz I don't know how to function a locking steering wheel"

No wonder BMW owners are looked down upon. When I talk to my SA he tells me what customers bring their cars in for and some of it is the dumbest shit
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkcloud View Post
haha stupid. No offense but if you can't figure out how to unlock your steering wheel w/o calling Assist then maybe you shouldn't have a car.

You are supposed to be able to manually lock your steering wheel when parking on steep grades, thus locking your tires facing the curb so that if the car falls out of park it won't go anywhere. All you do is turn your wheels in the desired direction, turn the car off and turn the wheel in the same direction until it locks. To unlock the steering wheel you just turn it hard in one direction, insert the key and start the car.

If you didn't know this then BMW Assist needs to figure out a way to reach through the speakers, smack you, then take your keys and the title to the car back.
ha ha idiot (no offense of course)....... A common problem / issue which can not be fixed by using traditional ways.... I think I would enjoy watching you try to unlock your wheel and wonder WTF is wrong after trying to figure out what is going on for hours...... Wonder why some BMW owners (cough people like you) are known to be A-Holes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rats13 View Post
Interesting approach. Call someone stupid (no offense). For having trouble with a known issue on a car. um HELLO...TURNING THE STEERING WHEEL DIDN'T WORK!!!!!!

People are have their steering wheel replaced because of this issue. To reset my steering wheel after normal straight parking I have had to get out of the car and manually unlock the door with the key in my FOB and then the car starts. So I'm an idiot and should not be driving a BMW cuz I don't know that?

WTF! Are you an arrogant ass in RL or just on message boards(no offense)???
+1
__________________
Retired: 2011 E92 M3 AW w/ Silver Novillo ZCP, ZTP, ZPP, 494, 6FL, 507, 302 & 415.....ED April 29th, 2010
Retired: 2007 E92 335i -Space Gray, Black Leatherette + Alum, Nav, ZCW, ZSP, PDC, CA & Sunshade.....ED Oct 19th, 2006
TTG is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-06-2008, 11:15 PM   #22
r3amir
Lieutenant
 
r3amir's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 535i 2012 TSX
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Las Vegas

Posts: 418
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkswackin View Post
the fix is no longer to replace the column...its a software reprogram from what i remember...but im sure some cars actually need the column replaced
They replaced the column for me, no problem since
__________________
2011 535i Alpine White, Oyster/Black leather, Sports Package, Premium Package 1, Sports Auto Transmission, Navigation, 4 zone climate control, Convenience Package

2006 325i Arctic Metallic, Grey leather, Steptronic,Premium Package
r3amir is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:23 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST