E90Post

N54Tuning.com

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > Seat Creak/Squeak - Solution

11-27-2009, 11:49 PM   #1
Mike@N54Tuning.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Canada
Rep

Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

Seat Creak/Squeak - Solution

Just wanted to give you guys a little update and hopefully a solution for this problem I have seen come up over and over again, and had the pleasure of experiencing just recently.

FRONT SEAT CREAK/SQUEAK or whatever else you can call it.

I have found that the common seat creak comes from the plastic pieces rubbing up against the leather or other parts of the seat and from the springs of either side of the bottom bolsters.

Things you need to buy

Silicone Lube - Protects rubber mouldings and weather-stripping. Prevents sticking and corrosion. Stops squeaks.

Solution

1) Move seat all the way up and to the front and put the back rest all the way down. This way you have access to under the seat.

2) Have a towel or rag handy and spray all the seams where the leather meets the plastic trim, and remove any excess overspray.

3) Spray into the sides of the bolster where you should see springs holding the seat covers to the frame. Spray a generous amount here as this is where I believe most of the noise comes from

4) Spray under the seats on the hinges that move the seat up and on the rails

5) Move seat back

My seats creaked and squeaked like crazy to the point it made driving unpleasant and I can say happily that after 3-4 days not a sound. Obviously your mileage may vary but I think you will be pleasantly surprised. The Silicone Lube I used wasn't greasy or didn't leave any odour in the car so it was perfect. I imagine I will have to reapply a few times a year but thats okay

Mike
Attached Images

11-28-2009, 12:09 AM   #2
Oulixes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 330xi, 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@N54Tuning.com View Post
Just wanted to give you guys a little update and hopefully a solution for this problem I have seen come up over and over again, and had the pleasure of experiencing just recently.

FRONT SEAT CREAK/SQUEAK or whatever else you can call it.

I have found that the common seat creak comes from the plastic pieces rubbing up against the leather or other parts of the seat and from the springs of either side of the bottom bolsters.

Things you need to buy

Silicone Lube - Protects rubber mouldings and weather-stripping. Prevents sticking and corrosion. Stops squeaks.

Solution

1) Move seat all the way up and to the front and put the back rest all the way down. This way you have access to under the seat.

2) Have a towel or rag handy and spray all the seams where the leather meets the plastic trim, and remove any excess overspray.

3) Spray into the sides of the bolster where you should see springs holding the seat covers to the frame. Spray a generous amount here as this is where I believe most of the noise comes from

4) Spray under the seats on the hinges that move the seat up and on the rails

5) Move seat back

My seats creaked and squeaked like crazy to the point it made driving unpleasant and I can say happily that after 3-4 days not a sound. Obviously your mileage may vary but I think you will be pleasantly surprised. The Silicone Lube I used wasn't greasy or didn't leave any odour in the car so it was perfect. I imagine I will have to reapply a few times a year but thats okay

Mike
Thanks Mike, I shall use your treatment to silence my seat.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2009, 08:44 PM   #3
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oulixes View Post
Thanks Mike, I shall use your treatment to silence my seat.
Let me know if it works, as if a few people try it and it really works well we should make this a sticky so people can reference it.

Mike
      11-28-2009, 09:25 PM   #4
Oulixes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Let me know if it works, as if a few people try it and it really works well we should make this a sticky so people can reference it.

Mike
I'll let you know. I'll try when the rain stops. I have a garage, but the seat usually does not creak so badly in the wet.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2009, 09:26 PM   #5
Neutrino45
Major
Rep
Drives: XXX

Thanks for the tip!
      11-30-2009, 01:43 PM   #6
Oulixes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:

Mike
I used your treatment of the seat yesterday and so far it has been working quite well - no noise and no stains. I will report again after a few weeks, but the lube is so simple to reapply that the longevity does not matter much.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2009, 07:11 PM   #7
I335
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '08 335i Coupe

I don't understand the part about putting the back rest all the way down. Do you mean fully recline the seat? What exactly does that give you access to?
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2009, 07:34 PM   #8
dimabimmer
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3 ZCP 6MT

Go to Gym and loose 50lbs...problem solved.
      12-01-2009, 08:50 PM   #9
klaudio
Enlisted Member
Italy
Rep
Drives: bmw z4m & range rover s/c

can you post some pics please!!
Appreciate 1
      12-03-2009, 08:08 PM   #10
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by I335 View Post
I don't understand the part about putting the back rest all the way down. Do you mean fully recline the seat? What exactly does that give you access to?
Just put the seat all the way down to the back as if you were going to lay down.

Mike
      07-23-2010, 08:06 AM   #11
salcoco
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 335i

I am having a similar problem in my 07 335i. It's definitely more of a creaking sound (as opposed to a squeak), and I'm pretty sure the source of the sound is underneath the driver's seat. I hear it when I either lean back in the seat, and sometimes when I lean forward.

I will try Mike's proposed solution posted above, and post a reply with my results.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2010, 11:48 PM   #12
FlyingHorse
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G35x; E90 335i; E90 M3

My temporary solution is to squeeze the plastic piece (where the memory buttons are) and it keeps quiet for about a day. I need to try this out, my seats creak like hell whenever my left foot pressing the clutch. Thanks Mike.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2010, 02:26 AM   #13
VincentO
Rep
Drives: Mustang

LOL. I have my back seat that squeaks often. In fact, i shall try this remedy out and let you know how it goes
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2010, 02:54 AM   #14
edelossantos
EDS328i
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Space Gray 328i Coupe

It Works!

My front passenger seat would creak anytime you would come to a stop and then accelerate (when there was a passenger sitting). It drove me nuts! I tried this fix this morning and it worked.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2010, 10:13 AM   #15
MrDummy
→сяuisiиg iи му вмш←
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Space Gray 328i

Garage List
2010 BMW 328i  [0.00]
I found out i have the notorious rear deck lid squeek/rattle and not only the seats.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2011, 11:55 PM   #16
NoQuarter
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 530xi / 2008 535xi

My first 2 E60's my SA fixed the seat creak for me by inserting some felt padding into the plastic side trim that contains the buttons.

On my third E60, out of warranty, I was on my own, so I partially removed the side trim and inserted some felt I purchased from a fabric store into the rear area where the hinge is.

Permanent solution with no worries about silicone ruining my leather.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2011, 04:59 AM   #17
Mahhvinn
EUROPROJEKTZ
United_States
Rep
Drives: backwards

Garage List
2008 E90 335i  [3.50]
Thanks for the tip, Mike!

#TeamStretchNPoke
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2013, 03:05 PM   #18
thatg
Captain
Rep
Drives: Space Gray E93 335i

Hey my creaky seat is driving me nuts. Could any post a picture of where they applied their lubricant and what they used. Would wd-40 be sufficient?
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2015, 04:54 PM   #19
Bellagio
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 320D

I have a 320D and have finally managed to get rid of my seat creak/squeak after years of annoyance so hopefully it might help someone or worth a try if your vehicle suffers from the same creaking. Mine sounded like a metallic kind of creak, like a spring creaking. It happens if I pushed my lower back into the seat and no matter what position I put the seat in it would still do this annoying creak. I've tried everything from tightening nuts to trying to spray WD40 into the side parts of the seat, underneath and in the gap in the leather up inside the back of the seat but with no success. My car is a UK 320D Right Hand Drive with manual leather sports seats. This is my solution: Raise your seat as high as it will go and push it as far back as it will go. Then look under the front of your seat (kneeling down outside the car). Where the manual TILT control (not the height lever) lever is (front of seat) you will see it connects to a small spring. This spring has a little bit of thin black plastic wrapping around it. Mine had moved to the front so I checked my passenger seat (which doesn't creak) and that one had the plastic wrapper pushed to the back so I did the same to my driver spring wrapper and the noise has gone! There is also a metal rod that goes from just behind this spring across to the other side of the seat (still underneath the seat). This kind of moves a little so I just made sure it was in the same position as the other (passenger side) and again the metallic creak has finally gone!!! I've adjusted the seat and still no creaking! The funny thing was the creak always seems to have sounded like it was coming from the lower back area of the seat but it must've been coming from this little spring all along. As said before it's attached to the lever that operates the tilt. I've also cleared annoying sounds from my cabin heater/blower by removing the micro filter and spraying (tons) of WD40 into the heated (rusted nut looking part in the centre), this took a few goes but used to drive me nuts every time I braked it would sound like trapped leaves stuck in there spinning on certain fan speeds. The other major annoyance was door rattling, I spent years lubricating the rubber door seals with Gummi Pflege but only this year have realised it's not coming from the rubber seals but the felt/nature strip (not sure of its official name) which goes around the outer edge of the inside of the door (looks like black felt even closer to the edge of the doors than the rubber seals are) and after using Gummi Pflege on that they are now silent. Hope this helps someone as have been searching for years and finally have a squeak/creak free car!
Appreciate 0