E90Post

E92-lighting

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > Msport Steering Wheel DIY

Comment

Tutorial Tools Search this Tutorial
bavarian19's Avatar Msport Steering Wheel DIY
bavarian19
01-28-2006
Well, after taking a break Ive decided to just get this over with... First, my car: 325i Sport/Premium packages and non-iDrive. These instructions should be pretty much the same for all sport E90's, but I cant guarantee that it is. The only new part that I needed was the wheel itself. ...
By bmwexecutive on 12-20-2006, 08:21 PM
Thanks for the compliments, guys! This wheel is so nice. To be honest, if it were any thicker I wouldn't be able to wrap my hands around it completely. It's the perfect size and I love how smooth the leather is. It's the kind of leather that you feel your hands all over because it's so smooth.
By Greeney on 12-20-2006, 10:34 PM
More pics...
By obLu on 12-20-2006, 10:35 PM
Hey, bmwexec ... did I miss something earlier in the thread ... why are the steering wheel buttons all ganked up on the right hand side? What's up with the star and the diamond?

Or is that an i-drive thing?
By Greeney on 12-20-2006, 11:19 PM
The Star and Diamond are programable buttons for the iDrive.
By bmwexecutive on 12-22-2006, 04:08 PM
Hey guys, posted two more pictures here: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40631
By s4iscool on 12-24-2006, 08:23 AM
Gota say after using this wheel for a couple weeks..I like it but it doesnt blow me away. Is it worth $250? I guess if you have some cash layin around, its fine, but I wouldnt drop $250 on it again. The looks are great, but the function is only slightly better than the factory sport wheel.
By bmwexecutive on 12-24-2006, 02:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by s4iscool
Gota say after using this wheel for a couple weeks..I like it but it doesnt blow me away. Is it worth $250? I guess if you have some cash layin around, its fine, but I wouldnt drop $250 on it again. The looks are great, but the function is only slightly better than the factory sport wheel.
Sorry but I couldn't disagree with you more. Did you get the new multi-color stitched M wheel or the perforated leather one?
By s4iscool on 12-24-2006, 10:13 PM
perf one. Dont get me wrong, its nice, but its not like it blows away the stf sport wheel.
By bmwexecutive on 12-24-2006, 11:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by s4iscool
perf one. Dont get me wrong, its nice, but its not like it blows away the stf sport wheel.
Well, you and I have two different wheels then so you can't make a fair determination on the one I have.
By 335I_JB on 12-28-2006, 04:12 PM
Where can the multi-color stitched M wheel be purchased now?
By s4iscool on 12-28-2006, 05:40 PM
ebay
By youyou on 12-28-2006, 05:47 PM
None left and the guy has no idea when hell be getting anymore
By txusa03 on 02-18-2007, 10:16 PM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
Average 20%
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwexecutive View Post
youyou, when you get your wheel you should go to your local dealership and match it up on the Z4M wheel like I did to my Sport wheel and take pics. I would have done this except I didn't think of it before I installed it. Then we could really see the difference.
Hey, I had an opportunity to see the Z4M steering wheel at the dealer Friday. They had 2 Z4M and I sat in one of them in the showroom. Man that steering wheel is hot. It feels solid. It would be nice to be able to fit that steering wheel on our e90.
By pittyinSC on 02-19-2007, 11:24 PM
Do you guys think it would work on a E92 335 with auto and paddles?
By HRC on 02-19-2007, 11:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwexecutive View Post
Well, you and I have two different wheels then so you can't make a fair determination on the one I have.

Logan, you know that your wheel and mine are the EXACT same except for the color stitching right?

Danny
By GoBonesGo on 03-15-2007, 01:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRC View Post
Logan, you know that your wheel and mine are the EXACT same except for the color stitching right?

Danny
Danny, they're not exactly the same. The one with the colored stitching is not perforated. The smooth leather that's on the top and bottom of your wheel is all the way around on the new one. I'm actually not sure which I'd prefer, as I liked the perforated leather.

Anyway, I'm not driving the 330i that I put the M wheel on anymore. The bad news is that I've been driving a Dodge Durango for the last three months. The good news is that an SG/Terra 335i Step E90 should be in my garage by early next week. I'm still waiting for it to be trucked in from the port. I'm so excited I can hardly stand it! :rocks:

I second the request for info on whether the new wheel fits on a car with paddle shifters. I think it probably would, but it would be nice to hear from somebody who's done it. The M steering wheel was by far my favorite mod I made to my last car. Most people (read: non-enthusiasts) look at me cock-eyed when I start talking about steering wheels, but I love the feel of a good, thick, slightly padded wheel.

Has anybody tried to fit this wheel (the one with multi-colored stitching) to a 335i w/paddles? I might be willing to be the guinea pig, but I'd probably lose a few bucks selling it if it didn't work.

Charlie
By GoBonesGo on 03-16-2007, 10:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by G35_2_330 View Post
I second the request for info on whether the new wheel fits on a car with paddle shifters.
If I had my car already (or thought about it for more than a few seconds), I would have realized that the new wheel will not work. The paddle shifters are mounted directly to the steering wheel, so the wheel must be made specifically with that option in mind. The wheel recommended by Qalbeli looks just like the one I installed in my 330i, but with cutouts to mount the paddles.

I really liked that wheel, but I wrote him back to see if the smooth leather/multicolored stitching version is available (or will be soon). I'll share his response here, in case anyone else is interested.

The good news is that there is an M-Technic steering wheel available for paddle shifter equipped cars. It looks just like the one installed by Bavarian at the top of this thread. For those that have never driven with it, it is quite nice and a big improvement over the stock sport wheel.
By GoBonesGo on 03-16-2007, 04:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by G35_2_330 View Post
I really liked that wheel, but I wrote him back to see if the smooth leather/multicolored stitching version is available (or will be soon). I'll share his response here, in case anyone else is interested.
Ok, I'm just having a conversation with myself here, so I'll wrap it up - there is no smooth leather/multicolored stitching M wheel currently available for paddle shifter cars.

So I ordered the all black/perf leather wheel.
By pittyinSC on 03-16-2007, 05:02 PM
Well there should be a multicolored one out soon
By GoBonesGo on 03-17-2007, 06:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by umcool911ok View Post
Well there should be a multicolored one out soon
Well, that'll make three steering wheels I will have purchased from Qalbeli.

I dig that stitching and some lucky bastard will be able to get my black/perf one for cheap.
By TTG on 03-17-2007, 08:18 PM
This is the one I am waiting for......

By skitsvilli on 03-17-2007, 10:07 PM
How much harder do you think this will be with the paddle shifters?
Comment