E90Post
 


Horizon LED
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > Msport Steering Wheel DIY



Comment
 
Tutorial Tools Search this Tutorial
bavarian19's Avatar Msport Steering Wheel DIY
bavarian19
01-28-2006
Well, after taking a break Ive decided to just get this over with... First, my car: 325i Sport/Premium packages and non-iDrive. These instructions should be pretty much the same for all sport E90's, but I cant guarantee that it is. The only new part that I needed was the wheel itself. ...
  #506  
By eldudo on 03-21-2008, 07:36 PM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
1
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
1
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
1
Average 20%
46 ft-lbs is the recommended torque I used when I installed the M3 steering wheel on my E46 330i and it is the same torque I used now to install the new one on my 335i.

There is no reason why it should be different.
I'll confirm the 46 ft-lbs torque in the Bentley manual for my E46.
Reply With Quote
  #507  
By mack82097 on 03-21-2008, 09:07 PM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
1
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
1
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
1
Average 20%
Quote:
Originally Posted by e90phan View Post
It was mentioned on page 4, but not sure if it was actually verified. To save you some time, here is the single post....

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...8&postcount=81
Must have missed it.

Thanks!!

The new wheel goes on tomorrow...
Reply With Quote
  #508  
By Cay955 on 03-22-2008, 01:12 AM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
1
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
1
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
1
Average 20%
awesome, good luck w/ the install.

I'll actually be helping by brother install his M3 steering wheel tomorrow. should be a smoother install this time around.
Reply With Quote
  #509  
By mack82097 on 03-26-2008, 04:11 PM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
1
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
1
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
1
Average 20%
Quote:
Originally Posted by mack82097 View Post
Must have missed it.

Thanks!!

The new wheel goes on tomorrow...
I've been real busy so I haven't had the time to make the swap. However, today is the day. My question is for those that removed the negative battery cable...do you lose all your settings in iDrive, saved navi locations, memory buttons, radio presets, etc? Basically, everything that would be a pain to go through and reset.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #510  
By e90phan on 03-26-2008, 04:25 PM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
1
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
1
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
1
Average 20%
Quote:
Originally Posted by mack82097 View Post
I've been real busy so I haven't had the time to make the swap. However, today is the day. My question is for those that removed the negative battery cable...do you lose all your settings in iDrive, saved navi locations, memory buttons, radio presets, etc? Basically, everything that would be a pain to go through and reset.

Thanks.
I don't have iDrive, but I did not lose any presets on my radio or the settings on the control stalk. Only thing it did reset was the clock.

Good luck man
Reply With Quote
  #511  
By linus on 03-26-2008, 05:04 PM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
1
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
1
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
1
Average 20%
Quote:
Originally Posted by mack82097 View Post
I've been real busy so I haven't had the time to make the swap. However, today is the day. My question is for those that removed the negative battery cable...do you lose all your settings in iDrive, saved navi locations, memory buttons, radio presets, etc? Basically, everything that would be a pain to go through and reset.

Thanks.
No resetting of idrive for me. Worked fine. Date and time needed to be adjusted. That's about it.
Reply With Quote
  #512  
By mack82097 on 03-26-2008, 07:09 PM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
1
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
1
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
1
Average 20%
Made the swap, took about 25 minutes to complete. After reading this DIY post 10 times, I felt like a pro. No issues other than getting some error messages that went away after 1 min.

All I can say is what a difference the wheel makes.

This forum rocks!
Reply With Quote
  #513  
By linus on 03-26-2008, 09:22 PM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
1
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
1
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
1
Average 20%
Quote:
Originally Posted by mack82097 View Post
Made the swap, took about 25 minutes to complete. After reading this DIY post 10 times, I felt like a pro. No issues other than getting some error messages that went away after 1 min.

All I can say is what a difference the wheel makes.

This forum rocks!
That error message is scary $hit when it hits for the first time. Your heart skips a beat and then the message goes away.

Anyway, enjoy the wheel. You're absolutely right that it makes a staggering difference. Did it recently on my E92 with paddles. Unbelievable difference. So happy.
Reply With Quote
  #514  
By polyvios_s on 03-27-2008, 10:29 AM
What additional steps would be needed to install a Sport/MF steering wheel on a E90 without the sports package/sports steering wheel and even without MF? Any additional parts other than a replacement steering wheel & airbag?
Reply With Quote
  #515  
By txusa03 on 03-27-2008, 11:16 AM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
1
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
1
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
1
Average 20%
Quote:
Originally Posted by linus View Post
That error message is scary $hit when it hits for the first time. Your heart skips a beat and then the message goes away.

Anyway, enjoy the wheel. You're absolutely right that it makes a staggering difference. Did it recently on my E92 with paddles. Unbelievable difference. So happy.
All error message on my bimmer makes my heart skips several beats

Even on those cold morning when I get a "Ding" and looked at the dash and see a snowflake symbol (bastard almost gave me a heart attack everytime I hear the Ding"
Reply With Quote
  #516  
By FrankoQ on 03-27-2008, 12:37 PM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
1
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
1
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
1
Average 20%
Quote:
Originally Posted by txusa03 View Post
All error message on my bimmer makes my heart skips several beats

Even on those cold morning when I get a "Ding" and looked at the dash and see a snowflake symbol (bastard almost gave me a heart attack everytime I hear the Ding"
+1 I hate that ding.
Reply With Quote
  #517  
By Sparky66 on 03-28-2008, 09:07 AM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
1
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
1
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
1
Average 20%
Quote:
Originally Posted by eldudo View Post
46 ft-lbs is the recommended torque I used when I installed the M3 steering wheel on my E46 330i and it is the same torque I used now to install the new one on my 335i.

There is no reason why it should be different.
I'll confirm the 46 ft-lbs torque in the Bentley manual for my E46.
That is correct.
As stated in the BMW TIS (Technical Information System) the recomended factory tightening torque specification for E90,91,92,93 is 62.5nm or 46 ft-lbs.
Reply With Quote
  #518  
By Pedal2Floor on 04-17-2008, 05:33 PM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
1
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
1
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
1
Average 20%
A little help...

A little help in finding the correct part #'s for a 335i Coupe with Sport.

Is this the correct part

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...17&hg=32&fg=35


01 M SPORTS STEER.-WHEEL, AIRBAG, LEATHER 1 02/2006 32307839114

Is this similiar to the 135i wheel? Where would I look for the tri-stich wheel?

Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #519  
By g9sBMW on 04-17-2008, 07:17 PM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
1
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
1
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
1
Average 20%
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedal2Floor View Post
A little help in finding the correct part #'s for a 335i Coupe with Sport.

Where would I look for the tri-stich wheel?

Thanks
Ive seen it here

http://www.mileoneparts.com/partloca...catalogid=4462
Reply With Quote
  #520  
By eldudo on 04-17-2008, 11:07 PM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
1
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
1
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
1
Average 20%
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedal2Floor View Post
A little help in finding the correct part #'s for a 335i Coupe with Sport.

Is this the correct part

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...17&hg=32&fg=35


01 M SPORTS STEER.-WHEEL, AIRBAG, LEATHER 1 02/2006 32307839114

Is this similiar to the 135i wheel? Where would I look for the tri-stich wheel?

Thanks
Cheaper here, from qalbeli on ebay:
BMW M3 E90 E91 E92 E93 Airbag M Tech Steering Wheel
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-M...spagenameZWD1V
Reply With Quote
  #521  
By runthis on 04-24-2008, 04:07 PM
Can someone take a pic of these clips? I'm trying to remove my airbag and can't seem to locate them... THANK
Reply With Quote
  #522  
By airwalk776 on 04-25-2008, 08:13 AM
Will the airbag still work after installing the new wheel, and does it give any type of alarm/error?

thanks
Reply With Quote
  #523  
By stressdoc on 04-25-2008, 09:05 AM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
1
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
1
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
1
Average 20%
Quote:
Originally Posted by airwalk776 View Post
Will the airbag still work after installing the new wheel, and does it give any type of alarm/error?

thanks
Most of us have had no problems at all. The airbag is fully functional if you use the correct parts and install correctly.
Reply With Quote
  #524  
By stressdoc on 04-25-2008, 09:09 AM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
1
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
1
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
1
Average 20%
Quote:
Originally Posted by runthis View Post
Can someone take a pic of these clips? I'm trying to remove my airbag and can't seem to locate them... THANK
Please be more specific in regard to your difficulty locating the "clips". The clips are inside the cover, you need to locate the tiny (1/4") holes that are covered by soft rubber that have the invisible slits in them. Sometimes they are easier to locate by touch. Bright lighting is also useful. The are several previous posts in this thread with pics etc.
Reply With Quote
  #525  
By steaman on 04-25-2008, 12:30 PM
Just a reminder! The battery must be disconnected att all times when the Airbag is disconnected. If you connect the battery when the airbag is disconnected you will set an alarm that must be reset by BMW or using Carsoft.

The easiest way to loosen and fasten the nut to the steering wheel is to use an electric impact wrench.
Reply With Quote
  #526  
By picus on 04-25-2008, 04:05 PM
Just did mine, like everyone finding the "invisible slits" was tough for 15 min or so, then it was a breeze.
Reply With Quote
  #527  
By tawia on 04-28-2008, 06:24 AM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
1
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
1
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
1
Average 20%
Different Plug? (320dSE)

Installed Wheel on Saturday, what a difference!!! love the car even more now so much nicer to drive.

While installing, i went to plug airbag cables back into wheel, one had a 'notch' on it that did not allow it to fit so i had to file it down (see pic)
Attached Images
 
Reply With Quote
Comment

Bookmarks

Tutorial Tools Search this Tutorial
Search this Tutorial:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:11 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST