E90Post
 


TNT Racewerks
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > Msport Steering Wheel DIY



Comment
 
Tutorial Tools Search this Tutorial
bavarian19's Avatar Msport Steering Wheel DIY
bavarian19
01-28-2006
Well, after taking a break Ive decided to just get this over with... First, my car: 325i Sport/Premium packages and non-iDrive. These instructions should be pretty much the same for all sport E90's, but I cant guarantee that it is. The only new part that I needed was the wheel itself. ...
  #770  
By Kaiesha on 07-29-2011, 03:56 PM
Well I swapped my standard sport wheel for an M3 wheel tonight, real easy to do, only took me 20 - 25 mins following the initial guide and reading through this topic. Thought everything was going far too well......

Connected and secure the new wheel, everything hunky dorey, no faults, just had to reset the time on the clock.

However, I have a 2005 e91, I've fitted a pair of LCI halogen headlights with angel eyes and subsequently fitted upgrade LED bulbs to the angel eyes.

When I reconnected the battery I did exactly as the guide advised and put the key in the slot and put the lights on dip beam, however the LED angel eye bulbs are now flashing and only cease when I switch the lights fully on and off again.

Annoyed is not the word, the bulbs were 40 for the pair.
Reply With Quote
  #771  
By Peertwelve on 08-21-2011, 05:28 PM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
80%80%80%
4
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
40%40%40%
2
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
100%100%100%
5
Average 73%
This DIY works with my DCT M3 wheel

Fwiw I followed this guide and installed an M3 DCT Steering wheel into my 2008 manual transmission 335i. Used this wheel be ause I got a great deal (used). Thanks to OP. I made one mistake..... In step #1, I was trying to find the airbag clips in the crack between the wheel and the steering column. Once I realized tet the screwdriver is supposed to go in two tiny slots on the backside of the wheel, things went very smoothly.
Last edited by Peertwelve; 08-21-2011 at 05:29 PM. Reason: Forgot to rate the DIY
Reply With Quote
  #772  
By fatass on 08-29-2011, 05:30 PM
question - if i ahve a heated steering wheel do i need to purchase a particular M steering wheel?
Reply With Quote
  #773  
By Donia330i on 08-29-2011, 06:45 PM
Hey, I did the swap from non sport to m3 and now the DSC malfunctioning light is on along with brake in yellow. Any ideas how to fix this??? Thanks!!!!
Reply With Quote
  #774  
By guliermu on 09-17-2011, 09:17 AM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
1
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
1
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
1
Average 20%
bmw e90 multifunction keys

hello i have a bmw e90 2006 and m steering wheel didin't have the multifunctions keys i buy another steering wheel with the multifunction keys and whene i make the clip int the steering column the keys didin't work can pls tell me what can i make to do pls 10xx
Reply With Quote
  #775  
By haulmarc on 11-06-2011, 07:37 AM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
100%100%100%
5
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
40%40%40%
2
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
100%100%100%
5
Average 80%
just got done installing my new msport wheel. ~30-45 min. little more work for the paddle shifters and two more stubborn plastic connectors. looks and feels great.

great write-up. it was all i needed to get it completed.

the trick with the screwdriver with the flat side parallel to the floor and not to the wheel works great.
Last edited by haulmarc; 11-06-2011 at 07:41 AM. Reason: edited ratings
Reply With Quote
  #776  
By Quicksilver on 12-19-2011, 05:24 PM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
1
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
1
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
1
Average 20%
E92 M3 DCT Steering Wheel retrofit

Hello everyone,

Following all instructions in this thread, I've tried to install an original M3 DCT steering wheel with paddle shifters to my new 2011 E92 330i. Everything seemed to work just fine, until I tried the paddle shifters. The automatic transmission didn't change to "DS" mode and didn't respond to the paddle shifters. After checking the wiring, found a different pin setting between the original paddle shifters on the original M-sport steering wheel and the SMG paddle shifters from the M3 steering wheel. However I still haven't been able to get the M3 paddle shifters to work. For the time being put the M-sport steering wheel back and everything working fine again. Still hope to get the M3 SMG paddle shifters to work. Any thoughts???
Reply With Quote
  #777  
By Capt Awesome on 12-19-2011, 09:35 PM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
1
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
1
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
1
Average 20%
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicksilver View Post
Hello everyone,

Following all instructions in this thread, I've tried to install an original M3 DCT steering wheel with paddle shifters to my new 2011 E92 330i. Everything seemed to work just fine, until I tried the paddle shifters. The automatic transmission didn't change to "DS" mode and didn't respond to the paddle shifters. After checking the wiring, found a different pin setting between the original paddle shifters on the original M-sport steering wheel and the SMG paddle shifters from the M3 steering wheel. However I still haven't been able to get the M3 paddle shifters to work. For the time being put the M-sport steering wheel back and everything working fine again. Still hope to get the M3 SMG paddle shifters to work. Any thoughts???
I'm having the exact same problem with a 2011 e90 330i... Still trying to figure it out.
Reply With Quote
  #778  
By Orion4 on 12-21-2011, 08:36 AM
I think you have an compatibility issue between how the paddle shifters for the M3 DCT and the Steptronic work and wired. You made need a wiring adaptive similar to what Burger Tuning sells: http://www.burgertuning.com/paddleshift.html.

Not sure but that's what it sounds like the problem may be.
Good luck.
Reply With Quote
  #779  
By juice13 on 12-21-2011, 08:31 PM
Thanks for the write up. Just installed an M-Sport on my e90. What a difference the softer, larger wheel makes (especially when cold).
Reply With Quote
  #780  
By TwinT1addict on 02-03-2012, 01:48 PM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
1
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
1
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
1
Average 20%
I need ur help guys I'm in the car as we speak installing my msport wheel I purchased the air bag and I put the air bag in and it is loose I can move it side to side up and down I don't know what is going on please help.
Reply With Quote
  #781  
By Capt Awesome on 02-03-2012, 07:18 PM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
1
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
1
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
1
Average 20%
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWE90FANATIC View Post
I need ur help guys I'm in the car as we speak installing my msport wheel I purchased the air bag and I put the air bag in and it is loose I can move it side to side up and down I don't know what is going on please help.
Did you screw in the 3 screws on the airbag retaining plate?
Reply With Quote
  #782  
By TwinT1addict on 02-03-2012, 07:27 PM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
1
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
1
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
1
Average 20%
sorry im not a noob at this ive donbe this to my freinds e90. I purchased the airbag from ebay and it does not fit and will be sending it back. All i want to know is where you guys buy them from. I see that oem airbags have a black connector on the bag mine came with a blue one WTF.
Reply With Quote
  #783  
By TwinT1addict on 02-04-2012, 04:31 AM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
1
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
1
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
1
Average 20%
Ok I got this thing to fit. I bent the bracket a bit to fit it snug. Everything works great. Thank you to this forum. What would I do without you guys. Will post pics of the install soon
Reply With Quote
  #784  
By stealth1 on 02-04-2012, 05:11 PM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
1
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
1
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
1
Average 20%
Help!

Bought a replacement airbag on Ebay... went to put it in and everything was fine until I tried connecting the wires. The green one will fit, the black one will not. The back of the airbag unit looks a bit different.



I did not receive the wire that connects between the airbag itself and the connector in the wheel (presumably beside the connector for steering wheel controls, etc). Could it be that I just need this wire? Or do I completely have the wrong airbag? Everything except for the back plate make it appear identical to mine.

Car is disassembled now and can't drive it... help!?

Reply With Quote
  #785  
By Tk502 on 02-11-2012, 03:47 PM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
1
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
1
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
1
Average 20%
Awesome DIY, this took me 30-40min tops. Thanks again
Reply With Quote
  #786  
By jacobsed on 02-19-2012, 08:32 PM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
1
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
1
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
1
Average 20%
So if I buy this wheel off of ebay do I need to buy an M cover to fit it? Or will the cover from my sport wheel fit perfectly to it?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-E81-E87-...ht_3184wt_1163
Reply With Quote
  #787  
By 1QuikWS6 on 02-20-2012, 03:16 AM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
1
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
1
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
1
Average 20%
Quote:
Bought a replacement airbag on Ebay... went to put it in and everything was fine until I tried connecting the wires. The green one will fit, the black one will not. The back of the airbag unit looks a bit different.

I did not receive the wire that connects between the airbag itself and the connector in the wheel (presumably beside the connector for steering wheel controls, etc). Could it be that I just need this wire? Or do I completely have the wrong airbag? Everything except for the back plate make it appear identical to mine.

Car is disassembled now and can't drive it... help!?
If you did not originally have the Sport airbag - you will also need the Sport Airbag wiring harness & the bracket...



Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobsed View Post
So if I buy this wheel off of ebay do I need to buy an M cover to fit it? Or will the cover from my sport wheel fit perfectly to it?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-E81-E87-...ht_3184wt_1163
Your existing Sport Trim will work just fine, but now is a perfect time to replace with something else if you're so inclined - since you'll have the wheel off anyway
Reply With Quote
  #788  
By jacobsed on 02-20-2012, 08:56 PM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
1
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
1
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
1
Average 20%
I have a 2006 330xi with the sport package so I have the sport wheel. Is the Msport wheel with perforated leather that much better?
Reply With Quote
  #789  
By 1QuikWS6 on 02-21-2012, 11:28 AM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
1
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
1
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
1
Average 20%
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobsed View Post
I have a 2006 330xi with the sport package so I have the sport wheel. Is the Msport wheel with perforated leather that much better?
Yes, much better leather, and the extra rim thickness is mighty nice
Reply With Quote
  #790  
By waski on 03-03-2012, 05:36 PM
Awesome DIY

thanks
Reply With Quote
  #791  
By JK07 on 03-03-2012, 06:06 PM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
1
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
1
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
1
Average 20%
Great write up. I am thinking of replacing but have few quations sorry i just cant read 36 pages....

Mine is 320i non idrive with multi function steering wheel.

Where do i order the steering wheel? Do i have to order the air bag also bec my steering wheel looks a bit diffrent than OP

My steering wheel looks like this
Last edited by JK07; 03-03-2012 at 06:19 PM.
Reply With Quote
Comment

Bookmarks

Tutorial Tools Search this Tutorial
Search this Tutorial:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:16 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST