E90Post

Bimmer Retrofit

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > Msport Steering Wheel DIY

Comment

Tutorial Tools Search this Tutorial
bavarian19's Avatar Msport Steering Wheel DIY
bavarian19
01-28-2006
Well, after taking a break Ive decided to just get this over with... First, my car: 325i Sport/Premium packages and non-iDrive. These instructions should be pretty much the same for all sport E90's, but I cant guarantee that it is. The only new part that I needed was the wheel itself. ...
By s4iscool on 12-15-2006, 01:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwexecutive
I'd try it but steering wheels and airbags are both two things I don't want to mess with.
youre missing out then. The steering wheel is nothing but a plastic wheel with leather wrapped around it and a metal bracket. The airbag is an enclosed unit, and lets you know if there is a problem though a warning message. Its just a few plugs and screws. Dont let it get in the way of enjoying this beauty!
By bmwexecutive on 12-15-2006, 01:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by s4iscool
youre missing out then. The steering wheel is nothing but a plastic wheel with leather wrapped around it and a metal bracket. The airbag is an enclosed unit, and lets you know if there is a problem though a warning message. Its just a few plugs and screws. Dont let it get in the way of enjoying this beauty!
Will my airbag fit the Z4 M steering wheel? If not, there's no chance I'm going to spend $500 on an airbag from the Z4 M. Besides, swaping airbags may mess with the safety abilities of the 330i.
By bmwexecutive on 12-16-2006, 09:39 AM
USPS and FedEx seriously rock! Everytime I ship with them I get stuff early, as opposed to late with UPS. Just checked tracking on my M steering wheel and it just arrived in New York and already cleared customs. At this rate I should have my wheel by Monday!
By bmwexecutive on 12-18-2006, 07:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by amf88
Well, just to tease us all, they go and bring out a new m-tech wheel with triple coloured stitching etc etc...what can I say *&^*%&^"

Courtesy of Albert the Swede ( He has 2 for sale)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BMW-E90-E91-E8...QQcmdZViewItem
Just got mine! Should be installing it tomorrow.
By bmwexecutive on 12-19-2006, 08:40 PM
I was just out in my car trying to install this new wheel but I can't get the old one off. Where in the hell are those slits that pop the air bag out? I disconnected my battery already but can't find the damn slits. They don't seem like they exist. When feeling around my steering wheel base I felt two small holes on either side but they are covered with leather. They feel like I could push in a little bit and break through the leather to get to them but are these the two slits you are talking about?
By bmwexecutive on 12-19-2006, 08:46 PM

That's where the holes are but they are masked with leather. Should I break through them with the screwdriver?
By HRC on 12-19-2006, 08:47 PM
Quote:
I was just out in my car trying to install this new wheel but I can't get the old one off. Where in the hell are those slits that pop the air bag out? I disconnected my battery already but can't find the damn slits. They don't seem like they exist. When feeling around my steering wheel base I felt two small holes on either side but they are covered with leather. They feel like I could push in a little bit and break through the leather to get to them but are these the two slits you are talking about?
LOL. Those two "small holes" are the slits. They are not "covered in leather". Poke thru and you are there. Have your flathead driver facing horizontal and push all the way back, make sure you go upwards at small angle. Have fun, it's an easy intall.

Danny
By bmwexecutive on 12-19-2006, 08:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRC
LOL. Those two "small holes" are the slits. They are not "covered in leather". Poke thru and you are there. Have your flathead driver facing horizontal and push all the way back, make sure you go upwards at small angle. Have fun, it's an easy intall.

Danny
Thanks. But how much you want to bet they are covered in leather from the steering wheel? I'll bet money on it. Anyway, I'll poke through like you said and see what happens...
By HRC on 12-19-2006, 08:55 PM
Quote:
Thanks. But how much you want to bet they are covered in leather from the steering wheel? I'll bet money on it. Anyway, I'll poke through like you said and see what happens...
WTF? LOL, You ask me how much I want to bet that your right? Those holes are covered eh?? LMFAO. I have installed at least 2 of these and you have ...wait, none. LOL. BTW, that part of the wheel is not covered in "leather" LMAO. Teach me...

Danny
By bmwexecutive on 12-19-2006, 09:05 PM
OK. Right side popped out fine. I cannot for the life of me get the left clip to release. I've been at it for 15 minutes. No matter what angle I try it won't work! What should I do?
By bmwexecutive on 12-19-2006, 09:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRC
WTF? LOL, You ask me how much I want to bet that your right? Those holes are covered eh?? LMFAO. I have installed at least 2 of these and you have ...wait, none. LOL. BTW, that part of the wheel is not covered in "leather" LMAO. Teach me...

Danny
Danny, I'm sorry but my eyes don't lie. I had to puncture the leather in order to get to the slits. It's that simple.
By bmwexecutive on 12-19-2006, 09:27 PM
OK. Finally got the airbag unit out. Now to the 16mm center bolt. Which way do I turn? Left or right? The directions don't say. I'd assume left to loosen it but sometimes foreign bolts are done in the opposite direction. I tried both ways and it won't budge. I'm a pretty strong guy too. Please tell me which way to turn it and I'll give it my best shot.
By Greeney on 12-19-2006, 09:34 PM
Quote:
Hey Greeney,

The M6 is your dad's right? Does he ever let you drive it?
I was driving all day today Logan :rocks:
By darkcloud on 12-19-2006, 09:39 PM
Lefty Lucy, Righty Tighty. Didn't your dad say that to you a bagillion times growing up when you'd look at him confused not knowing which way to turn the screw??? It takes some good force to break the original tightness. You'll need some good torque, I used a fairly longer socket wrench and it wasn't a problem for me when I did it.

Left btw... good luck, your going to love that freaking wheel. I love mine!
By magmd on 12-19-2006, 09:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greeney
I was driving all day today Logan :rocks:

Hey...greeny! Any news on that elusive steering wheel cover??
By Greeney on 12-19-2006, 09:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by magmd
Hey...greeny! Any news on that elusive steering wheel cover??
None, I tried again today... I think I may call morristown on this one...
By youyou on 12-19-2006, 10:01 PM
Quote:
Just got mine! Should be installing it tomorrow.

Hey Exec...
So you got your steering wheel that's awesome...
I din't get mine yet it was held back at customs...
Anyways i'm sooo anxious please tell me how it feels...
Is it as we predicted? Close to Z4M wheel?
As thick? As smooth?
Detailsssssssssssssssssssssssssss pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
By HRC on 12-19-2006, 10:06 PM
Quote:
Danny, I'm sorry but my eyes don't lie. I had to puncture the leather in order to get to the slits. It's that simple.
Yea...ok, whatever you say is right, those are just indentions, you have to punture the "leather".

Oh, is it "simple" like lefty loosen?

Danny
By Greeney on 12-19-2006, 10:15 PM
By magmd on 12-19-2006, 10:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greeney
None, I tried again today... I think I may call morristown on this one...
Damn! Although it pains me to say this.......I think we need some 335 and 328 with sports package to get into accidents, and drive the need for replacement parts.

Just hope they are no injuries

WE NEED PARTS!
By txusa03 on 12-19-2006, 10:21 PM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
Average 20%
I go by clockwise to tighten and counter clockwise to loosen!
By Greeney on 12-19-2006, 10:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by magmd
Damn! Although it pains me to say this.......I think we need some 335 and 328 with sports package to get into accidents, and drive the need for replacement parts.

Just hope they are no injuries

WE NEED PARTS!
Im with you there, we need to work on that.
Comment