E90Post
 


MINHS Auto Care Center
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Lower boost with higher tq settings?



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-23-2008, 07:13 PM   #1
boosted305
Private First Class
 
Drives: 335i Coupe
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: South Florida

Posts: 115
iTrader: (0)

Lower boost with higher tq settings?

I read in another thread, I believe it was Driver72, that raising tq settings can sometimes lower boost...

I was wondering, has anyone else experienced this?


Also, when the tq settings are changed, is the result instantaneous, or does the computer need time to adapt again?

i.e., can I change my settings on the dyno to fine tune it and see the results immediately, or do I need to drive it for some period of time for it to adapt?

thanks in advance
boosted305 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-23-2008, 07:29 PM   #2
SteelTorque
Captain
 
Drives: 08 E92 335xi
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Seattle, WA

Posts: 849
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by boosted305 View Post
I read in another thread, I believe it was Driver72, that raising tq settings can sometimes lower boost...

I was wondering, has anyone else experienced this?


Also, when the tq settings are changed, is the result instantaneous, or does the computer need time to adapt again?

i.e., can I change my settings on the dyno to fine tune it and see the results immediately, or do I need to drive it for some period of time for it to adapt?

thanks in advance
When you change the tq setting you need a couple of hard WOT pulls to adapt. That should be enough, according to Shiv.
If your tq values are too high you can induce knock, which I have experienced at the track and the car started jerking like the power was being cut.
Usually, octane number + 1 = your tq values. But always datalog to check the boost.
__________________
08 E92 335xi Space Gray 6AT - PROcede V2 12.8 @ 111 mph
SteelTorque is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-23-2008, 07:36 PM   #3
boosted305
Private First Class
 
Drives: 335i Coupe
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: South Florida

Posts: 115
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTorque View Post
When you change the tq setting you need a couple of hard WOT pulls to adapt. That should be enough, according to Shiv.
If your tq values are too high you can induce knock, which I have experienced at the track and the car started jerking like the power was being cut.
Usually, octane number + 1 = your tq values. But always datalog to check the boost.

I raised my torque settings from 90 to 92, then to 93, and finally to 94....

datalogs didn't really show any marked increase in boost... in fact I felt it actually seemed marginally lower at some points in the rpm range....

and I don't hear any pinging...so can/should I continue upwards? (using 93 octane)
boosted305 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-23-2008, 07:41 PM   #4
SteelTorque
Captain
 
Drives: 08 E92 335xi
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Seattle, WA

Posts: 849
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by boosted305 View Post
I raised my torque settings from 90 to 92, then to 93, and finally to 94....

datalogs didn't really show any marked increase in boost... in fact I felt it actually seemed marginally lower at some points in the rpm range....

and I don't hear any pinging...so can/should I continue upwards? (using 93 octane)
No. I wouldn't. The ECU might overcorrect and lower boost way before knock.

Leave it at 93%.
__________________
08 E92 335xi Space Gray 6AT - PROcede V2 12.8 @ 111 mph
SteelTorque is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-24-2008, 07:24 AM   #5
Bullitt 2496
Private First Class
 
Drives: 07 E92 335i Coupe
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: CT

Posts: 139
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to Bullitt 2496
I get a CEL if I up it from 90 to 92 ... on 93 octane.
The cel shows up when I lift off at the top of my 3rd gear pull.
Bullitt 2496 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-24-2008, 04:23 PM   #6
badass335
Lieutenant Colonel
 
badass335's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 335i E90 AT
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Surrey, BC

Posts: 1,795
iTrader: (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt View Post
I get a CEL if I up it from 90 to 92 ... on 93 octane.
The cel shows up when I lift off at the top of my 3rd gear pull.
Thats interesting. Which map are you running? Are you an auto or maunal? I run 94 octane and have my settings running at 90% and i have the same thing happen on the 3rd/ 4th run but it doesn't always happen. My car goes into limp mode, shaking, almost like i blew a coilpack.
badass335 is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      02-24-2008, 04:57 PM   #7
SteelTorque
Captain
 
Drives: 08 E92 335xi
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Seattle, WA

Posts: 849
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by badass335 View Post
Thats interesting. Which map are you running? Are you an auto or maunal? I run 94 octane and have my settings running at 90% and i have the same thing happen on the 3rd/ 4th run but it doesn't always happen. My car goes into limp mode, shaking, almost like i blew a coilpack.
As far as I know, if it's shaking then you are pretty much knocking and the ECU is pulling timing.

That sucks, bro.

What is your boost again?

I remember there were a couple of similar cases a few months back where the guys were having problems even if they brought the values down to like 88%.

Tell you what?

Dustin is coming to Seattle on March 8th. If you are willing to meet up with us and drive down here...i'm sure he would take a look at it.
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=115654
__________________
08 E92 335xi Space Gray 6AT - PROcede V2 12.8 @ 111 mph
SteelTorque is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-24-2008, 05:24 PM   #8
badass335
Lieutenant Colonel
 
badass335's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 335i E90 AT
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Surrey, BC

Posts: 1,795
iTrader: (10)

I know! Boost is 14.2 - 14.8 usually. I would like to drop the settings down to 88% and probably will be trying it this coming week. Issue i have is had the car dyno-ed and with V1.47, ran 322whp, Stock, ran 252whp and on V2, ran 308whp

I'm running higher boost but car's not making as much power as V1.47.

Definitely willing to meet up! Let me know when and where!

Thanks bro!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTorque View Post
As far as I know, if it's shaking then you are pretty much knocking and the ECU is pulling timing.

That sucks, bro.

What is your boost again?

I remember there were a couple of similar cases a few months back where the guys were having problems even if they brought the values down to like 88%.

Tell you what?

Dustin is coming to Seattle on March 8th. If you are willing to meet up with us and drive down here...i'm sure he would take a look at it.
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=115654
badass335 is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      02-25-2008, 07:36 AM   #9
Bullitt 2496
Private First Class
 
Drives: 07 E92 335i Coupe
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: CT

Posts: 139
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to Bullitt 2496
i get consistent 14.6-14.8 peak boost in 3rd on the default settings (6mt car). If I raise them, peak goes down to 14.4-14.6 and I get the cel
Bullitt 2496 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-25-2008, 10:52 AM   #10
Lane
Several N54 cars, V1,3, V2.0.2, and V3.1
 
Drives: N54s
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: UK DE GR SW

Posts: 778
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by boosted305 View Post
I read in another thread, I believe it was Driver72, that raising tq settings can sometimes lower boost...

I was wondering, has anyone else experienced this?
He might not have a boost gauge. So the credibility of the observation is not the best.
Lane is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-25-2008, 10:53 AM   #11
Lane
Several N54 cars, V1,3, V2.0.2, and V3.1
 
Drives: N54s
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: UK DE GR SW

Posts: 778
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTorque View Post
But always datalog to check the boost.
Datalogging does not show the real boost.
Lane is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-25-2008, 11:06 AM   #12
ontopofm
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: stock
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: CA

Posts: 1,547
iTrader: (4)

+1, boost gauge shows higher number, mine digital shows 16 @ 90% while data loggging shows 14.1
ontopofm is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-27-2008, 07:06 AM   #13
Bullitt 2496
Private First Class
 
Drives: 07 E92 335i Coupe
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: CT

Posts: 139
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to Bullitt 2496
no response from vishnu?
Bullitt 2496 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-27-2008, 09:15 AM   #14
scalbert
Major General
 
scalbert's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 E90 M3, '13 Volt, '08 Ody
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Woodstock, GA

Posts: 5,707
iTrader: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontopofm View Post
+1, boost gauge shows higher number, mine digital shows 16 @ 90% while data loggging shows 14.1
Is this a peak or sustained?
scalbert is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-27-2008, 09:53 AM   #15
ontopofm
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: stock
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: CA

Posts: 1,547
iTrader: (4)

peak boost, i watched it reached 16 in 3rd gear while the rpm climbed
ontopofm is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-27-2008, 09:54 AM   #16
scalbert
Major General
 
scalbert's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 E90 M3, '13 Volt, '08 Ody
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Woodstock, GA

Posts: 5,707
iTrader: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontopofm View Post
peak boost, i watched it reached 16 in 3rd gear while the rpm climbed
That isn't too high, I was just curious what it was running sustained.
scalbert is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-27-2008, 02:48 PM   #17
vase330
Colonel
 
vase330's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 335i ; 14 RangeRover SSC
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Arlington, Va

Posts: 2,675
iTrader: (1)

Why not just go back to 1.47 if it worked for you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by badass335 View Post
I know! Boost is 14.2 - 14.8 usually. I would like to drop the settings down to 88% and probably will be trying it this coming week. Issue i have is had the car dyno-ed and with V1.47, ran 322whp, Stock, ran 252whp and on V2, ran 308whp

I'm running higher boost but car's not making as much power as V1.47.

Definitely willing to meet up! Let me know when and where!

Thanks bro!
Thats what I'd do if I were you.
__________________
E92 335 | Space Gray | Saddle Brown Dakota | Dark Burl Trim | ZPP | ZSP | AT | Idrive | 6FL | FBO | Dinan CAI | Quaife LSD | STG3 PROCede.
vase330 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:35 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST