E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > Is it worth the wait

02-24-2008, 03:24 AM   #1
swalee
Newbs

Drives: Graphite 120d 18"CSL

Is it worth the wait

sup Guys,

Newbie, please be gentle.

Plan to get a 320d, but the dealer has informed me due to specs ( 320d Innovation Msport ), I'm gonna have to wait over three months.. wtf . Now there seems to be a facelift on the way later this year, and i was wondering should I stick with the E87, till the facelift or buy now.

What do you guys think?

Cheers
swalee is offline   Australia
      02-24-2008, 05:13 AM   #2
astra
Brigadier General

Drives: BMW 325Ci Individual

Garage List
Send a message via MSN to astra
Welcome to the forum swalee!

3 months seems kind, compared to what other marques are saying...

I would wait untill the facelift comes out... When they start to get a few years old, you will probably look at the prefacelifts and think they look very dated (as i do with the e46s...) Also if you wait, you might be luvky enough to find a 320d speced how you like it (pre facelift) for a very reasonable price!
      02-24-2008, 07:59 AM   #3
gingerporksword

Drives: 325

Hi Swalee we are both new members, but I am not new to BMW.

As of Feb I just changed jobs but I was the number one BMW Saleman in the country in 2007 so I can answer almost any question you have. I just bought myself a new 325I manual sport innovations which I have started doing up.

As for your 320d, excellent choice my friend the new ones are quicker than a 320 and 323. Be careful when buying you must get a car that was built after Nov 07 which means the car arrived about late Jan these cars are the new engines with 125kw and 340nm so they have a lot more power than the old and are more fuel efficient and a lot quieter. I wouldn't be too concerned about the facelift as you are wanting a sport model, the sports generally dont change much e.g look at the 5 series facelift, its noticeable on a non sport but in sport you cant tell except for leds and light conducting rods in the back lights. Plus they just upgraded the engine so that won't be replaced, they might change the automatic trans to the same style as the new 5 and X5????? but those are my thoughts they may not change the trans

Thats weird that your dealer can't get you one, you should be able to get one sooner as long as you like black, silver or sparkling graphite. The last thing a dealer wants to do is build a car for you and wait 3 months we love selling in stock so they genuinly may not have one but try other dealers you will find some out there if you dont wanna wait. 3 months is the standard wait time if there is no waiting list and you fall into the following months production.

There have been so many changes to the 3 series since the start of 2007, I believe theres not much more they will change on the car if you go for a sport, let me know the specs you want and I'll tell you the price to pay.

Peace out
gingerporksword is offline   Australia
      02-25-2008, 02:48 AM   #4
swalee
Newbs

Thanks Astra.

Brad,
The diesel is a great motor, I have the 120d and its the old motor (115kw) which has a slight diesel sound on idle and your right the new one on the 320 is surprisingly quieter.
As for specs, I was after a Crimson Red Exec Innovation Sport, i've tried a few dealers just to see what they have in the order bin, but surprisingly most of the orders have been taken up, even the 'stock' colours, I think it may be the new specs with the Innovation.
I think that you may be right, sorry astra, the snap shots of the facelift seem to be bumper and changes to the taillights, so Im not too worried, its just having to wait.
As for the price, out of a few dealers I have contacted the lowest I have received is 74k, which I feel is just off my budget. Even though price is a issue, service is high on priority as we are having a baby soon, and I dont want to inconvienence my wife. We have a a atrocious run with Mercedes and the service we had with my 120d was excellent so thats why Im going to BMW to get me wife a car.
I was wondering what do you think a salesman would go down to?.

Cheers
      02-25-2008, 05:16 AM   #5
astra
Brigadier General

Drives: BMW 325Ci Individual

Garage List
Send a message via MSN to astra
Ahh well, can always upgrade to the new LED lights when you catch the mod bug on this car lol
      02-25-2008, 07:30 AM   #6
JamieA
Colonel

Drives: E90 325i SG

Send a message via MSN to JamieA
I waited over 4 months for mine - I was originally told it would be 5. So yes, I think it is worth the wait to get exactly what you want. My philosophy was that if I couldn't have what I wanted, then what was the purpose of having a great car in the first place...
JamieA is offline   Australia
      02-26-2008, 04:12 AM   #7
swalee
Newbs

Jamie,
Your right,I want to tweak the car for a few extras for my wife to make it easier for her (blinds,electric seats ),so waiting shouldn't be a issue, I'm not too concerned with the new model now, as the tail lights look absolute rubbish, and astra, I'm just thinking what my wife would say when I try to bling the 320d up, she doesn't even like wearing make up. Thanks for the comments.

Cheers
      02-26-2008, 05:23 AM   #8
BMW //MPOWER
Major

Drives: BMW 325CI MY04 //M Clubsport

Garage List
Send a message via MSN to BMW //MPOWER
Quote:
Originally Posted by swalee View Post
Jamie,
Your right,I want to tweak the car for a few extras for my wife to make it easier for her (blinds,electric seats ),so waiting shouldn't be a issue, I'm not too concerned with the new model now, as the tail lights look absolute rubbish, and astra, I'm just thinking what my wife would say when I try to bling the 320d up, she doesn't even like wearing make up. Thanks for the comments.

Cheers
If you don't like the tail lights, BMW OEM Blacklines are available from your dealer for c. $440 for the set and they look great.

BMW 325Ci MY2004 Individual //M Clubsport Edition, //M Clubsport package, //M Sport 18"s, Manual //M Short Shift, Carbon Black, Black Aluminium Cube Interior.
BMW //MPOWER is offline   Australia
      02-26-2008, 08:01 AM   #9
gingerporksword

You can get that car for $71K pretty easy, you can't just call up asking for best prices, if you had called me I would have quoted you full price over the phone, you must make an offer and stick to it, a red non metallic 320d sport inno with a sunroof is about $79,000 in NSW (cheaper brisbane, less stamp).

Make an offer on the car for $70 and accept if they come back to $71K
      02-26-2008, 03:59 PM   #10
1q2w3e4r
Breakfast at Tiffany's

Drives: BMW

Send a message via MSN to 1q2w3e4r
Good to have someone with the inside track on the forums hehe.

What are the plans for the 325?
      02-27-2008, 02:22 AM   #11
swalee
Newbs

Thanks Brad, Thats great, that will save me heaps to add to the car.
Just one other thing, one of the dealers told me that they are adding a new motor to the line up here in Australia, do you know anything about that, I hope its the 330d, but that would never happen here.

Cheers again
      02-27-2008, 02:31 AM   #12
swalee
Newbs

Sorry, should have been more specific, a new motor line up to the E90 range.
      02-27-2008, 02:36 AM   #13
BMW //MPOWER
Major

Drives: BMW 325CI MY04 //M Clubsport

Garage List
Send a message via MSN to BMW //MPOWER
Quote:
Originally Posted by swalee View Post
Sorry, should have been more specific, a new motor line up to the E90 range.
I suspect they may bring the 328i engine into the e90 range, not sure if it'll get the 328i or 325i badge, that is the detuned 3.0ltr engine that's making it's first australian appearance in the 125i.

BMW 325Ci MY2004 Individual //M Clubsport Edition, //M Clubsport package, //M Sport 18"s, Manual //M Short Shift, Carbon Black, Black Aluminium Cube Interior.
BMW //MPOWER is offline   Australia
      02-27-2008, 06:48 AM   #14
spdrcr
First Lieutenant

Drives: Lotus Elise

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradbilbie View Post
As of Feb I just changed jobs but I was the number one BMW Saleman in the country in 2007 so I can answer almost any question you have.
I'm curious why you would change jobs - surely if you are number one for BMW there really isn't anywhere else to go?
spdrcr is offline   Australia
      02-27-2008, 08:58 AM   #15
gingerporksword

I changed jobs beacause I'm only 25 and I knew if I stayed any longer I would be there for a lot longer than planned, I don't wanna be pushing 30 and still be selling cars. Not to worry I got a much better job maybe not quite as fun but less stress and more moolah. I finally have sataurday to sleep in!!!!

Plans for the 325I, I already have tints, blackline tail lights and the rear lip spoiler plus am replacing the muffler next week,(may also do the air intake with filter & possibly a chip too but not for awhile). Thats about it the car looks good enough plus the new muffler will make it sound a lot gruntier and apparently add 10-15% more power

I recommend getting the rear muffler replaced its the easiest way to get more power and sound from your car. My Brother just got his M6 rear mufflers changed, Holy Shit the thing is now a beast and cranks over 400kw, sounds like it always should of.

I'm not sure about new engine line up, I'll get confirmation soon enough. The 335d engine is kinda already here in the new X5 sd twin turbo so they may well bring it and all of there advertising this year has been on promoting diesel so it would make sense??????????? I was hoping they wouldn't upgrade the 325I seeing as I just bought one, but they might have to as its performance is too close to the 323 and 320d and too far away from the 335I
      02-27-2008, 05:32 PM   #16
VGR00
Major

Drives: 125I Edition Sport Carbon Blk

^^ What exhaust did you go for ?? ie - brand name or did you just go to an exhaust shop and have them fit something that was free flowing. My experiance with changing exhaust systems has been that the car becomes more lively in the low rev range giving the impression of a lot of extra power but in fact it's done nothin (if minimal) to increase HP. Throttle response and noise - yes, but HP inrease is debatable.

I was visiting the manufactures of the Exede piggy back computers this week (customer of mine) and they mentioned they can infact fit one of these units to a NA car and then dyno and tune it up. Maybe a new exhaust at the same time of adding an Exede will see some differences in HP.
VGR00 is offline   Australia
      02-28-2008, 02:25 AM   #17
swalee
Newbs

Brad,
I got the dealer to drop it down to 69k, thanks for giving me the ball park fiqure, it helped heaps. I even got a price of 62k for the normal innovation E90 320d with metallic paint.
I asked the dealer today about the engine change, and he told me that it was a petrol motor, so sadly it might be the 328i.
      03-03-2008, 07:00 PM   #18
JamieA
Colonel

Drives: E90 325i SG

Send a message via MSN to JamieA
328i makes sense to me... the Americans have the detuned 3.0l engine in their 325i because the 2.5l engine did not meet the tougher emissions standards there. Europe has apparently gone that way too (at least as I saw in the UK when browsing there recently), and the 125i indicates to me that BMW are phasing the 2.5l out, which is a pitty because I think it is a honey.

Anyway, psychologically 3.0l instead of 2.5l makes a difference, and it has the same power but more torque than the 2.5, so driving will potentially be different. Will help in the fight against the IS250 and new C Class.

From a positioning point of view 328i badge makes sense over 325i because it fleshes out the hole between the 325i and 335i.

Anyway, my $0.02 worth... interested to know what others think...
JamieA is offline   Australia
      03-03-2008, 09:49 PM   #19
VGR00
Major

Drives: 125I Edition Sport Carbon Blk

I think Jamie is on the money here.
VGR00 is offline   Australia