E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > SSTT with boost solenoid bypassed.. Has anyone tested it?

02-26-2008, 01:58 PM   #1
timtech
Lieutenant

Drives: 335

SSTT with boost solenoid bypassed.. Has anyone tested it?

I was wondering if anyone has tried bypassing the second boost solenoid like on the JB2 and Procede 1.47 installs?

If so, what did you find out? Do you have before and after dyno's?
      02-26-2008, 07:41 PM   #2
2e9x's
Major

Drives: 335i ED 7/07

I tried it and it was a dismal failure. This caused my car to misfire badly but not throw a code or limp home mode! When I spoke with Jeff he told me point blank that the engineers at Split Second advise against bypassing the solenoids. I also strongly recommend against it!!!!
      02-26-2008, 07:43 PM   #3
e90AW335i
Major General

Drives: e90 335i

Interesting....
      02-26-2008, 08:01 PM   #4
5soko
Brigadier General

Drives: M5

i think thats the great thing about the SSTT it doesnt need much work at all to run great. but very good info WHITE
5soko is offline   Montenegro
      02-27-2008, 08:07 AM   #5
2e9x's
Major

OH...and I broke the little T vacuum fitting and had to go buy another one. But hey, that was my fault right?!
      02-27-2008, 02:09 PM   #6
timtech
Lieutenant

Drives: 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by White05X3 View Post
OH...and I broke the little T vacuum fitting and had to go buy another one. But hey, that was my fault right?!
You were using a T connector? It should have been a straight thru (two connections)...
      02-27-2008, 04:20 PM   #7
2e9x's
Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by timtech View Post
You were using a T connector? It should have been a straight thru (two connections)...
No...from the factory there is a t connector that connects the vacuum port of the rear wastegate to a junction where the 2 main vacuum lines join up. That is the one I broke...actually snapped it off inside the rear vacuum line and had to get the piece out with a needle nose plier. (see attached photo)

In fairness to all I took the car in to address my 6fl random FM switching issue right after this. The tech noted a DME code that read "Ignition on cylinder 4 not allow" [I did not get the actual code number from him]. My car at that time, with the SSTT OUT, was running really lean on the rear bank of cylinders. There is the possibility that my misfire was NOT caused by the boost solenoid bypass but by some other anomaly that occurred with the car. It may just have been a coincidence that it happened the same day I bypassed the solenoid. A lengthy discussion with Jeff left us both scratching our heads because although the car threw a DME code and clearly misfired, there was no CEL or limp mode. The event happened when the ambient temperature was around 50F, at 2,450 RPM, normal operating temperature and under moderate throttle. Immediately following the event the car ran flawlessly without a restart and has never repeated.

While at the shop the tech updated the entire car. I took it back again a few weeks later to change a piece of trim that I had stained and to deal with a brake pad sensor error. He hooked the car back up to the computer and it was running well within normal parameters. Obviously that event was NOT caused by the SSTT nor by anything mechanically wrong with the car. Thus all I can conclude is that it was from the boost solenoid bypass.
Attached Images