E90Post

European Auto Source

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - NY / NJ / CT / PA > ***TRI-STATE Pothole/Roadwork Warning Thread***

02-27-2008, 10:32 PM   #1
amazzzin

Drives:

Lightbulb ***TRI-STATE Pothole/Roadwork Warning Thread***

Another sticky?

Now lets add some potholes we know and keep everyone from cracking their rims! so

Here are some: (Add in if you can)

Post any potholes/dips/construction you guys know about in the TRISTATE area. Highway names, which lane, direction, between which exits etc... Be as detailed as possible. If the pothole is repaired, come back and let people know about it.

1) LIE - east and west bound - between exits 30's to the 40's - Road all dug up - gravel condition across all lanes - FIXED

2) BQE--->LIE Merge. Coming from the city taking the BQE, when the BQE splits off into 2 lanes going towards the LIE, the right lane has a pretty harsh dip right before you get under the overpass/highway. Take the left lane.

3) LIE East bound right before exit 26ish, all three lanes has a huge raised bump. The right lane is the best one to take but you still need to slow down big time for it. Middle lane is the worse to take even after the raised bump.

4) Belt parkway east bound. When you merge from the BQE onto the Belt on the two lane road, right at exit 2, big bump across both lanes. Your fine if your not dropped and not rolling on 19"s. I just slow down for it.

5) Belt parkway east bound. Same as above. maybe another 500' on the left lane there's a raised plate on the road that will take your front lip off if your dropped. Middle lane is the best.

6) Gothals bridge construction going from Staten Island into NJ. Half paved, half not. Doable if you drive slow.

7) Lincoln Tunnel from NJ back into NY. Right before you enter the tubes, huge dip/bump on both lanes. Must slow down to avoid hard hit or ripping your front lip off.

8) BQE heading towards the city from BK. Two exits before the BK bridge exit, where you drive with the perfect city view on your left there are metal plates that takes up the left and middle lanes. Take the right lane. Your fine once you reach the BK bridge overpass.

9) FDR Drive is off limits if you have 18+ rims and dropped. I only use it up to Houston street exit and I have to get off.

-Try to stay off the right lane on FDR South Bound... slow down, especially before Queensborough bridge exit...

10)From I-87 South to exit 2 to NY (to avoid toll) watch out for uneven pavement (for those who drops).

11) Van Wyck I-678N (Queens) towards Whitestone bridge... slow down when 3 lanes merge into 2 lanes (entering ramp??)... uneven and rough terrain on the left lane... try to merge to the left lane coming of ramp to avoid steel plates.

12) Roslyn road (N) 1/2 mile past LIE, right lane its a sunken patch, its in the dark you wont see it until you hit it its in a certain spot where there are no lights. i know b/c i hit it i thought i broke everything, but i didnt.

13) 25A East towards huntington, road is in process of being torn up and replace ln by ln..expect holes and traffic

14) LIE to Van wyck exit 22B slow down!!! road sunk and drainage pipeS are stciking up, its a 1/4 mile of speed bumps

15) stay away from the ramp that leads to the gw bridge -> comming from the major deegan.

16) RT 107 south between 25a and LIE, both side ripped up, watch out the road cuts back to normal in front of S.U.N.Y westbury (bad cliff so go slow) or there will be some cracked rims

17) Rt 107 between nothern pkwy and Mcdonalds heading south. far left is a massive hole in the road stay in far right lanes (rim and kit killer)

18) Cross Island coming from Belt parkway. Construction going on by Hempstead Exit. Stay in the far left lane. Middle lane and slow lane is rough, unpaved with a lot of gravel. Be very very careful.

19) watch out on southern state eastbound, right before the rest area in valley stream. There is a massive pothole in the left lane..

**ADD IF YOU CAN -- IT WILL SAVE OUR WALLETS AND RIDES.... It's better to know, then hear... or tell yourself.. "That sounded and FELT bad.."

NYC CONSTRUCTION

Well, hope it helps...

02-27-2008, 10:37 PM   #2
Alex@AKMotorwerk

Drives: 2012 AW F10 535i

Send a message via AIM to Alex@AKMotorwerk
New Jersey Roads.......

...... ALL OF THEM!!!!
Alex@AKMotorwerk is offline   United_States
      02-27-2008, 10:39 PM   #3
amazzzin

Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nj323ci View Post
New Jersey Roads.......

...... ALL OF THEM!!!!
hehe, why can't we have roads like out west.......!

CT/NJ people chime in for roads... kinda like the sighting thread.

02-27-2008, 10:41 PM   #4
Lucid4000
Major

Drives: 335i AW Sport 6MT

Garage List
2006 330i Sport  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to Lucid4000
Hylan Blvd on Staten Island. Beware. Its getting worse and with the plows it really can be a obstacle course.

next, Richmond Ave. on Staten Island is also pretty bad.

Mobile Addictions
718.877.7700 or info@mobile-addictions.com
www.mobile-addictions.com
Lucid4000 is offline   United_States
      02-27-2008, 10:43 PM   #5
e90fanatic
Absolute0

Drives: Has a Roundel

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to e90fanatic
those mofos are fixing cracks in parsippany today. now i have tar all over my car! those jackasses didnt do it properly!! god i hate this state! cant wait to move out
      02-28-2008, 03:17 AM   #6
slick101
Lieutenant

Drives: 07 335i coupe

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
staten island expressway brooklyn bound between the bradley exit and exit 13 hylan blvd avoid the left lane till exit 12 and then avoid the right 2 lanes till exit 13... after 13 it's fine...
avoid all of BQE if possible... take the belt at a slower speed and ur better off...
      02-28-2008, 03:18 AM   #7
slick101
Lieutenant

Drives: 07 335i coupe

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAMEOVR View Post
hehe, why can't we have roads like out west.......!

CT/NJ people chime in for roads... kinda like the sighting thread.
i had to go to deleware for a couple of weekend and couldn't find one pothole to avoid... i was goin paranoid trying to find a pothole....
      02-28-2008, 09:52 AM   #8
STE92VE
STEVIL Empire

Drives: Fast

The intent of this thread is fine but realistically, there are pot holes all over the place and your best defense is to drive with caution on the roads that are known hazards. Don't speed or tailgate to give yourself ample time to maneuver out of harms way.

STE92VE is offline   United_States
      02-28-2008, 09:53 AM   #9
amazzzin

Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by STE92VE View Post
The intent of this thread is fine but realistically, there are pot holes all over the place and your best defense is to drive with caution on the roads that are known hazards. Don't speed or tailgate to give yourself ample time to maneuver out of harms way.
True - but sometimes they are hidden..... and I drive carefully, but all and all... It'ss good to know......

02-28-2008, 10:06 AM   #10
Bogo Shipyo
Colonel

Drives: 335i coupe

once i step into staten island after the goethal bridge it reminds me how smooth philly road is.

it wouldnt matter where the pothole is - the city usually fix it within days ( at least teh huge ones)
i hit a huge pothole in staten island near bradley street and cracked my rims, the next two day when i was driving back on the same road they paved all the little holes.....damn them
it happen again in the belt and the bqe

nyc roads sucks - they should stop trucks from driving in the city !!!!
      02-28-2008, 10:10 AM   #11
JackMac
Recovering BMW Addict

Drives: <OO (|||)(|||) OO>

Garage List
I was in NY last week and the roads are a mess up there. After avoiding the craters all week, I ended up getting whacked on the GSP while on the way home. It damaged the sidewalls on both right side RFT's.

Haven't driven the car since, and will be putting the summer wheels back on early this year.
JackMac is offline   Scotland
      02-28-2008, 10:10 AM   #12
Bogo Shipyo
Colonel

Drives: 335i coupe

but yea....staten island is bad
belt is pretty bad going towards west bound
theres potholes in all the lanes you have maneuver left and right to avoid all of them

whitestone bridge is bad going towards queens stay away from the right lane

bqe going towards queens ( near the battery tunnel ) near the double red walls caution !!! drive slow in both lanes

stay away from streets like flatbush, ocean ave and church ave. !!!!!!
      02-28-2008, 10:20 AM   #13
fizzle
is it the 5oclock free crack giveaway?

Drives: a car

Send a message via AIM to fizzle
tons on alps road in wayne, NJ.

contact me for photoshoots/detailing
fizzle is offline   United_States
      02-28-2008, 07:14 PM   #14
itsbrokeagain

Drives: E28 535, 1996 Dodge Ram Diesel

Send a message via AIM to itsbrokeagain
GW Bridge westbound, upper level....right lane coming up from the Cross bronx, concrete section has a nice deep hole in it that lines up perfectly with your left wheels. Hit it trying to pass a stupid asshole in a van doing 15mph, didnt even see it coming...saw it 2 days later on my way to work going eastbound, the thing is huge.

I know its still not fixed, because I hit it Saturday night, and I left my girls place this morning to go to work,and I peeked over the median and its still there.

Bent my front wheel really bad (Again...for some of you old timers here you will remember the first summer meets I showed up to with the same wheel wacked from last May)..and managed even bend the rear too...tires didnt get bubbled so Im still in the clear. Im just going to get 162 reps to throw back on the car in a month or so....these wheels are so scratched up, bent or curbed cuse of the stupid towing company I just dont care anymore.

Cross Island Southbound, underneath LIE...middle lane was full of potholes, right down to the old layer of payment (i.e 6 inches deep or more)..I barely dodged them by cuttin someone off and riding between to lanes to avoid them. They filled those up from 3 weeks ago, then more holes got dug up from last weeks storm, but those got filled already. Prolly see some more tomorrow night or Saturday in the same area due to the snow we are supposed to get.

Thats all I can remember for the time being. I parked the BMW up for the next couple of months (finally got the beater on the road) and I just run into shit all the time with that car..its got 14" tires on it, so I just run over potholes and bumps and dont give a shit.

Waiting for the summer to come around to drive the Bimmer doesnt sound so bad, but considering I hit 2 massive potholes the last weekend of May on the Southern State last year doesnt really make sense. Nassau County is so lax in fixing the roads, it took them almost 8 months to finally patch in those huge holes (which were all the way down to the base concrete), only to tear them up again last week...stupid highway people.

<-Official Vehicle Transport for AUTOCouture
itsbrokeagain is offline   United_States
      02-28-2008, 07:16 PM   #15
itsbrokeagain

Drives: E28 535, 1996 Dodge Ram Diesel

Send a message via AIM to itsbrokeagain
I dont even take the Belt Parkway anymore..it takes them 6 months or more after the winter season is over to fill them in...I avoid most of those at all cost.

The best stretch of LIE is from Cross Island, west into the city. Cant find one pothole.

<-Official Vehicle Transport for AUTOCouture
itsbrokeagain is offline   United_States
      02-28-2008, 10:29 PM   #16
Sal@AUTOcouture

Drives: Techno Violet ESS M3

Send a message via AIM to Sal@AUTOcouture
basically any road within a 5 mile radius of Fizzle's house...
      02-28-2008, 10:30 PM   #17
Kitz
Major

Drives: ex BMW

Send a message via AIM to Kitz
wow I can't believe the OP remember all of the pothole location he knows!!! cool...
      02-28-2008, 10:48 PM   #18
FifthStreetz
O! So Sour!!

Drives: Fast e30 / Slow M3

Garage List
2008 M3  [4.75]
#9 isnt too bad, I used to get off at Houston all the time, theres a huge hump on the right lane right before the exit...
      02-29-2008, 09:33 AM   #19
OEKlM
Lieutenant General

Drives: 04 M3

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to OEKlM
On the way to work today I hit a fairly large pothole. Thank goodness I didnt bend anything.

Located on Tappan Zee Bridge (eastbound) closer to Westchester side. Since the number of lanes change depending on what time (median moves over), the lane would be the middle lane if there were three lanes. Pothole is on the right side of the lane and directly in line with your passenger side wheels.

I hope that made sense =)
      02-29-2008, 10:09 AM   #20
amazzzin

Drives:

Keep the updates going... I'm out of comission right now as my bumper diffuser dries.....

03-07-2008, 07:57 PM   #21
SMOKE EM IF U GOT EM!!
Major

Drives: 06 E90 330, '11 F10 535 xdrive

Garage List
2006 330i SPORT  [5.00]
FKIN Northern BLVD east bound, just east of the C.I.P, right hand lane, right before the car wash. Big ass sewer drain that looks like it has sunken in a couple of feet.

Destroyed the entire right side suspension frnt and rear and two wheels and tires!! Mfkin city streets! Gotta love em!!

Outta comission for about a week! SUX!!!!

LIVE FAST..DRIVE FASTER!!
      03-07-2008, 10:09 PM   #22
disruptv
Major

Drives: 3M

Garage List
09 3m  [0.00]
1) on bell blvd right before 36th ave in bayside there is a huge pothole/blackhole right across from tequila sunrise....be careful