E90Post
 


PYSPEED
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > SS mufflers - power gains ?



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-29-2008, 11:30 AM   #1
e.n335
Moderator
 
e.n335's Avatar
 
Drives: e93 ///M3 DCT, 07/2009
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Switzerland, ZH

Posts: 4,480
iTrader: (0)

SS mufflers - power gains ?

Hi,

Will there be any power gains by replacing the stock mufflers with SS mufflers ? Installing the SS connection pipes and SS xpipe is not an option right now. Somebody knows ?

Thank you for your feedback.

Ciao,
Eugen
__________________
Not more than 500 chp for my daily driver. Well, ... .
e.n335 is offline   Austria
0
Reply With Quote
      02-29-2008, 11:32 AM   #2
jpsimon
Team Zissou
 
jpsimon's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 STi
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: CT

Posts: 9,015
iTrader: (5)

Just replacing the mufflers on a fully stock exhaust? I would venture to say no gains at all.
__________________
2015 STi / 335xi (solid)
www.datazap.me - fast, free, interactive data log viewing

jpsimon is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-29-2008, 12:02 PM   #3
Malek@MRF
Brigadier General
 
Malek@MRF's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3, E30, F30
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Irvine, California

Posts: 3,378
iTrader: (5)

Send a message via AIM to Malek@MRF
There will not be worthy gains of replacing the stock mufflers. Of course there will be SOME minimal gain. Aftermarket exhausts such as Magnaflow and so on are straight through perforated cores just like the stock setup is, but if we pay attention to the factory muffler section, its got a crossover pipe from one side to the other. This is mainly done for sound cancellation. This pipe is generally called a "Resonance Termination" pipe. And anything that causes any type of exhaust reversion will cost power in the end. HOW MUCH power, its MINIMAL. Not enough to warrant the need for aftermarket exhausts. Unless you are doing it for looks .
__________________

BMW PERFORMANCE SPECIALISTS. Suspension. Forced Induction. Brakes. Race Preparation. Service. Alignments.
OFFICIAL PARTNERS: Íhlins. KW Suspension. Brembo. AP Racing. ESS Tuning. iND Distribution. Turner Motorsport.
Facebook | Instagram | Yelp! | Flikr | Contact | YouTube
Malek@MRF is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-29-2008, 12:09 PM   #4
e.n335
Moderator
 
e.n335's Avatar
 
Drives: e93 ///M3 DCT, 07/2009
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Switzerland, ZH

Posts: 4,480
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malekreza11 View Post
There will not be worthy gains of replacing the stock mufflers. Of course there will be SOME minimal gain. Aftermarket exhausts such as Magnaflow and so on are straight through perforated cores just like the stock setup is, but if we pay attention to the factory muffler section, its got a crossover pipe from one side to the other. This is mainly done for sound cancellation. This pipe is generally called a "Resonance Termination" pipe. And anything that causes any type of exhaust reversion will cost power in the end. HOW MUCH power, its MINIMAL. Not enough to warrant the need for aftermarket exhausts. Unless you are doing it for looks .
Thanks for your feedback. How much is minimal ? I do it primary for the look ( quad tips ) and for the sound. However, every single whp is welcome as well. I can complete the SS exhaust with connecting pipes and the xpipe later on when I want to gain some few more hp.

__________________
Not more than 500 chp for my daily driver. Well, ... .
e.n335 is offline   Austria
0
Reply With Quote
      02-29-2008, 12:15 PM   #5
Malek@MRF
Brigadier General
 
Malek@MRF's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3, E30, F30
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Irvine, California

Posts: 3,378
iTrader: (5)

Send a message via AIM to Malek@MRF
Quote:
Originally Posted by e.n335 View Post
Thanks for your feedback. How much is minimal ? I do it primary for the look ( quad tips ) and for the sound. However, every single whp is welcome as well. I can complete the SS exhaust with connecting pipes and the xpipe later on when I want to gain some few more hp.

By minimal, I was referring to at most 4-5 BHP.

If your true goal is to maximize on power, look into removing an H-pipe section and converting an an X-pipe configuration. But make sure you do accomplish some sort of exhaust merge, because these cars have a downpipe coming from each cylinder bank. Meaning if you don't create a merge section, you have the sound of 2 turbo 3 cylinder motors instead of 1 6 cylinder.

If you do NOT want to make the car too loud, do not do any 3 inch piping in your setup. When you change piping diameter, you change the characteristics of the "Pressure Wave" which is pretty much the part of the exhaust flow that creates unwanted drone or noise. The less the diameter, the higher the pitch, the larger the diameter, the deeper the tone. But with this concept also comes drone. Higher pitched tones come at higher RPM's, therefore at normal driving speeds it will be quite. Large diameter exhaust piping, it makes more "noise" at lower RPM's and quiets down in the higher rev range which is, in my opinion, the counter of what is actually desirable.
__________________

BMW PERFORMANCE SPECIALISTS. Suspension. Forced Induction. Brakes. Race Preparation. Service. Alignments.
OFFICIAL PARTNERS: Íhlins. KW Suspension. Brembo. AP Racing. ESS Tuning. iND Distribution. Turner Motorsport.
Facebook | Instagram | Yelp! | Flikr | Contact | YouTube
Malek@MRF is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-29-2008, 12:38 PM   #6
e.n335
Moderator
 
e.n335's Avatar
 
Drives: e93 ///M3 DCT, 07/2009
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Switzerland, ZH

Posts: 4,480
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malekreza11 View Post
By minimal, I was referring to at most 4-5 BHP.

If your true goal is to maximize on power, look into removing an H-pipe section and converting an an X-pipe configuration. But make sure you do accomplish some sort of exhaust merge, because these cars have a downpipe coming from each cylinder bank. Meaning if you don't create a merge section, you have the sound of 2 turbo 3 cylinder motors instead of 1 6 cylinder.

If you do NOT want to make the car too loud, do not do any 3 inch piping in your setup. When you change piping diameter, you change the characteristics of the "Pressure Wave" which is pretty much the part of the exhaust flow that creates unwanted drone or noise. The less the diameter, the higher the pitch, the larger the diameter, the deeper the tone. But with this concept also comes drone. Higher pitched tones come at higher RPM's, therefore at normal driving speeds it will be quite. Large diameter exhaust piping, it makes more "noise" at lower RPM's and quiets down in the higher rev range which is, in my opinion, the counter of what is actually desirable.
Thank you for your excellent reply. This mod will be the most expensive 5 chp I have ever bought . I don't plan to mix piping diameters too much, but something is already given: I will have RISS catted DP's on the turbos, secondary cats, no resonator, the stock x-pipe ( 2.25" ) and the SS mufflers ( 2.5" ) at the rear.

Cheers,
Eugen
__________________
Not more than 500 chp for my daily driver. Well, ... .
e.n335 is offline   Austria
0
Reply With Quote
      02-29-2008, 01:13 PM   #7
Hunter399
Major General
 
Hunter399's Avatar
 
Drives: F30 335i
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Houston, TX

Posts: 7,757
iTrader: (30)

Good choice in SS

I will eventually go with SS when I pick up an exhaust
Hunter399 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-29-2008, 01:48 PM   #8
Gen_E92
Brigadier General
 
Drives: slow
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Vancouver

Posts: 3,386
iTrader: (17)

Garage List
2007 335i  [3.90]
+1 on about 5hp at most. I've RD race mufflers and everything else being stock, I would say no gain for low end and feels ever slightly faster on top end. Of course, the sound could make you think it's a little faster
Gen_E92 is offline   Japan
0
Reply With Quote
      02-29-2008, 02:26 PM   #9
NYCGarbagePrince
Major
 
Drives: X6 50i
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: NYC

Posts: 1,437
iTrader: (0)

Wish you luck.. I tried to keep the stock pipes on with no cats. I will never forget that sound at 2k rpms for as long as I live..
NYCGarbagePrince is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-29-2008, 02:28 PM   #10
PAKMAN
Lieutenant General
 
PAKMAN's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 E92 M3
Join Date: May 2006
Location: NORTHERN CALIFORNIA

Posts: 16,114
iTrader: (34)

Garage List
2011 BMW E92 M3  [4.75]
2006 e90 330i  [2.75]
you tripppppin on a TT car arent there alot of hp gains?
__________________
stock car
PAKMAN is offline   North Korea
0
Reply With Quote
      02-29-2008, 02:35 PM   #11
Sniz
Lieutenant General
 
Sniz's Avatar
 
Drives: e92 335 - gone // e36 M3 turbo
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Ellicott City, MD

Posts: 10,569
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by koreanGANGSTAbullet View Post
you tripppppin on a TT car arent there alot of hp gains?
stock exhaust seems to flow pretty well.....but the sound of an aftermarket exhaust setup is well worth it IMO.
__________________
Sniz is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-29-2008, 02:49 PM   #12
Malek@MRF
Brigadier General
 
Malek@MRF's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3, E30, F30
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Irvine, California

Posts: 3,378
iTrader: (5)

Send a message via AIM to Malek@MRF
Quote:
Originally Posted by koreanGANGSTAbullet View Post
you tripppppin on a TT car arent there alot of hp gains?
No, we aint trippinnnnnn.
__________________

BMW PERFORMANCE SPECIALISTS. Suspension. Forced Induction. Brakes. Race Preparation. Service. Alignments.
OFFICIAL PARTNERS: Íhlins. KW Suspension. Brembo. AP Racing. ESS Tuning. iND Distribution. Turner Motorsport.
Facebook | Instagram | Yelp! | Flikr | Contact | YouTube
Malek@MRF is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:35 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST