E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > The Next Project.....

12-28-2016, 12:24 AM   #111
335dlci
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitbread View Post
Here's a nice video demonstrating the sound well

Basically, when the turbo(s) get big enough on a diesel, you run into the effect where letting off at high boost creates a condition were the turbo is trying to force more air into the engine than what it can swallow immediately after removing the load on the engine. So the air ends up going backwards through the turbo. It's obviously very detrimental to the life of a turbo and should be avoided. Normally on a stock-ish diesel, the turbo will decelerate fast enough that this condition doesn't happen. But when the turbo rpm's and/or wheel sizes are pushed well beyond stock, the increased inertia will slow the deceleration of the turbo causing the barking behavior.

To combat this, TurboSmart makes a controller that ties into the tps sensor and will trigger a blow off valve to operate when you lift off the throttle pedal. This gives a path for the air to go that would otherwise try and go backwards past the compressor.
Dumb question. Having it tied to your TPS without a egr block off would cause it to dump if the throttle would happen to close for egr gas to flow. Wouldn't it be better to get a pedal position input instead?
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2016, 12:44 AM   #112
Whitbread
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335dlci View Post
Dumb question. Having it tied to your TPS without a egr block off would cause it to dump if the throttle would happen to close for egr gas to flow. Wouldn't it be better to get a pedal position input instead?
Sorry, I should've said the accelerator pedal position sensor instead of the TPS. My car doesn't have a throttle body anymore so I forget that everyone else isn't set up the same.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2016, 08:01 AM   #113
TDIwyse
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Quote:
... In fact, I'm actually rather horrified at the amount of surge and barking I'm hearing now that was hidden before. It legitimately needs one of turbosmart's diesel bov kits (or a borg Warner EFR with their built in bov and turbosmart's controller ).
Interesting. I've noticed the sound of the compressor and turbine bypass behaviors, but haven't noticed what I'd consider barking.

My understanding of bark is that the intake air gets backed up, and when the turbine drive pressure drops (due to rapidly removing fuel for example) the intake air can flow backwards. Supposedly this can be made worse if the turbine is undersized compared to the compressor.

Would be interesting to log rpm/boost/EMP during bark to see if we can measure the phenomena.
      12-28-2016, 09:30 AM   #114
lnxguy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 335D

Compressor surge is a bad thing.
      12-28-2016, 11:31 AM   #115
Whitbread
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDIwyse View Post
Interesting. I've noticed the sound of the compressor and turbine bypass behaviors, but haven't noticed what I'd consider barking.

My understanding of bark is that the intake air gets backed up, and when the turbine drive pressure drops (due to rapidly removing fuel for example) the intake air can flow backwards. Supposedly this can be made worse if the turbine is undersized compared to the compressor.

Would be interesting to log rpm/boost/EMP during bark to see if we can measure the phenomena.
I never noticed any of the bad turbo noises with the modded oem airbox, but now with Dave's intake, I'm hearing all kinds of stuff I've never heard before. At certain midrange rpms with heavy throttle, I can hear the turbos are walking the surge line. When letting off at full boost under 3.5krpm I very clearly hear it bark, letting off at 4+krpm, I don't hear any barking.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2016, 08:09 PM   #116
EvanTheBruce
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335d Stage 2+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqu3 View Post
Glad to hear you're still working at it and tweaking the design! Even if it has zero performance benefits, as long as it doesn't hurt performance and is priced in my budget, I'd likely buy it when I pick up your turbo-back exhaust just to hear the glorious turbo music. Stop making nice things! You're financially ruining me.
If you haven't seen my vidoes already, they are a good reference as to how David's exhaust sounds. I just ordered his Intake today and expect it sometime in the beginning of January. I'll be sure to get another video of the car and also a in-cabin driving video comparison of before and after.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2016, 08:07 AM   #117
TDIwyse
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I never noticed any of the bad turbo noises with the modded oem airbox, but now with Dave's intake, I'm hearing all kinds of stuff I've never heard before. At certain midrange rpms with heavy throttle, I can hear the turbos are walking the surge line. When letting off at full boost under 3.5krpm I very clearly hear it bark, letting off at 4+krpm, I don't hear any barking.
Thanks.

Yes, I've ran a cone filter setup off and on for several years and agree the intake sound is much more pronounced.

The rapid transition at high boost mid rpm operating condition you describe is one I try to avoid, so is likely why I haven't heard the bark. From earlier diesel engines I learned to try to avoid rapid transitions of fueling from the skinny pedal.

Based on this description it seems like looking at EMP vs Boost can give insight to indicate conditions where this would occur (adding MAF data would also be interesting and could give an idea where the surge line is on the compressor map).

http://www.dieselarmy.com/engine-tec...ff-valves-bov/

"As long as there is a ratio of slightly less-to-more drive (back) pressure than boost, the turbocharger continues to produce boost and everything hopefully runs smoothly. When the throttle is let off suddenly, the drive pressure goes away almost instantly."
      12-29-2016, 08:28 AM   #118
TDIwyse
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDIwyse View Post
Based on this description it seems like looking at EMP vs Boost can give insight to indicate conditions where this would occur (adding MAF data would also be interesting and could give an idea where the surge line is on the compressor map).
For my own curiosity I pulled up a full fueling 4th gear log from this Fall to look at the shift/fuel letoff transition behavior. It looks like in this condition the EMP stays higher than the Boost across the whole transient run. Using TestO with a faster sampling rate would give better information, as the Torque based log might be missing something.
Attached Images

12-31-2016, 12:45 PM   #119
BB_cuda
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 335D Msport, 2013 X5D

Anyone that has installed in airbox want to comment on fuel mileage?

I have driven from Houston to Baton Rouge and noticed cluster indicated mileage down about ~3 mpg( 39 vs 36 at 70 mph). I may have a mix of data though. Pumped a half tank before trip so I may have gotten winter mix of fuel now. Also I pumped at a station I don't often go to. Station is a nice clean Exxon though but I normally run Chevron.

I know Whitbread did a cross country drive after install.

Last edited by BB_cuda; 12-31-2016 at 12:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2016, 04:04 PM   #120
ASBSECU E93
Know's a guy that know's a guy...
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d; 2008 135i

Happy New Year to me
Attached Images

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lups View Post
Poop shit, shit and poop. I'm mildly angry now.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2016, 07:07 PM   #121
iaknown
Banned
Rep

Good news coming soon..... It has been confirmed this revised intake is worth power
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2016, 07:21 PM   #122
ASBSECU E93
Rep

That sound is glorious
Quote:
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2017, 03:26 PM   #123
Whitbread
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_cuda View Post
Anyone that has installed in airbox want to comment on fuel mileage?

I have driven from Houston to Baton Rouge and noticed cluster indicated mileage down about ~3 mpg( 39 vs 36 at 70 mph). I may have a mix of data though. Pumped a half tank before trip so I may have gotten winter mix of fuel now. Also I pumped at a station I don't often go to. Station is a nice clean Exxon though but I normally run Chevron.

I know Whitbread did a cross country drive after install.
Hard to say on my end. When I left michigan on my trip to California it was -4F and didn't get over 32F until somewhere in SW Oklahoma. I was also doing 80-85mph for most of my drive which isn't the best for fuel mileage either. My first tank was the lowest at 34mpg and last half tank fill up from Pheonix to LA was 41mpg. I slowed down to 72-75mph average due to to heavier traiffic for that leg though. Since I've been out here, I've been running the HPR renewable diesel, so another changed factor.

Side note though - I can't wait until that stuff is available nationwide, it's
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2017, 04:54 PM   #124
335dlci
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Hard to say on my end. When I left michigan on my trip to California it was -4F and didn't get over 32F until somewhere in SW Oklahoma. I was also doing 80-85mph for most of my drive which isn't the best for fuel mileage either. My first tank was the lowest at 34mpg and last half tank fill up from Pheonix to LA was 41mpg. I slowed down to 72-75mph average due to to heavier traiffic for that leg though. Since I've been out here, I've been running the HPR renewable diesel, so another changed factor.

Side note though - I can't wait until that stuff is available nationwide, it's
Hpr is pretty limited here as is. I can't wait until we have more stations. My closet Hpr station is about 60 miles away.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2017, 07:48 PM   #125
BB_cuda
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 335D Msport, 2013 X5D

Maybe I just got a tank that was a little off perhaps. My run back to Houston was back where it was supposed to be. I put in 9 gallons of Chevron with same optilube XPD I've been running for many months. Running same 70-73 mph, the 41 mpg stayed pretty steady for ~ 200 mile flat run. Not sure if the car is adapting now or what.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2017, 10:17 PM   #126
iaknown
Banned
Rep

Here's the info you've been waiting for

Special thanks to BPC for finishing testing on this so we can finally publish some gains. As you can see the revised filter element design was very successful, the intake is worth over 15hp and about 25 ft. lbs of torque on a Stage 2+ car compared to the stock airbox. And did I mention the sound is amazing?
Attached Images

Appreciate 4
      01-01-2017, 10:29 PM   #127
EvanTheBruce
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335d Stage 2+

Quote:
Originally Posted by iaknown View Post

Special thanks to BPC for finishing testing on this so we can finally publish some gains. As you can see the revised filter element design was very successful, the intake is worth over 15hp and about 25 ft. lbs of torque on a Stage 2+ car compared to the stock airbox. And did I mention the sound is amazing?
I am assuming that we would have to have our Stage 2+ tunes optimized for this intake? I just had my car tuned by BPC back in November when I added your exhaust. I'm thinking a true dyno session by them is in order to get the most from your intake and your exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2017, 10:38 PM   #128
335dlci
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:

What other mods were on this vehicle? Awesome work Ian!
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2017, 12:00 AM   #129
ASBSECU E93
Rep

I KNEW my butt dyno wasn't wrong
Quote:
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2017, 12:20 AM   #130
Owen81
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335d, 17/22 TDI

Quote:
Awesome! PM sent!
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2017, 07:05 AM   #131
TDIwyse
Colonel
Rep

Quote:

Good stuff iaknown. That increase in whp is very similiar to what I measured with PerfExpert when modifying the OEM intake and reducing pre-turbo pressure drop: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...4&postcount=33

The stock setup becomes restrictive when increasing air flow much beyond stock levels.
      01-04-2017, 08:19 PM   #132
iaknown
Banned
Rep

For those of you who have this installed, what size gap are you measuring in this area between the lid and radiator support? Seems your gaps are a little larger than mine.....
Attached Images

Appreciate 0