E90Post

MINHS Auto Care Center

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Mid-Atlantic > DC Metro Audi Driving Experience, Summit Pt - Aug 7-10 Sign up Open

08-06-2008, 10:57 AM   #111
e90phan
Colonel

Drives: slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbletea 4 me View Post
from the sound of things, no one is going on Sat. i was hoping to see some nice bmws to roll together
I'm going Saturday in the AM...but might roll with the IS instead of the e90. What time are you slotted for?
      08-06-2008, 12:41 PM   #112
ase2dais
//Mdicted

Drives: a Cop Magnet

Garage List
hell with rolling together, Lets Car Pool

I'll be the first slug
ase2dais is offline   United_States
      08-06-2008, 12:57 PM   #113
pseto
Major General

Drives: M3 E92 ZCP, M Roadster, X5 4.4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ase2dais View Post
hell with rolling together, Lets Car Pool

I'll be the first slug
what time slot do you have Al?

Become a BMW CCA member & reference my member# 339225
Join our NCC Facebook Page
pseto is offline   United_States
      08-06-2008, 01:04 PM   #114
BK
Smiling politely

Drives: 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [4.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pseto View Post
looks like the M Roady will be making an appearance at GB, NCC summer tour, and maybe Audi day

Looking forward to seeing it.

330i | Black Sapphire | Beige + Burl | Sport | Premium | Cold | Nav | CA | Sat prep
BK is offline   United_States
      08-06-2008, 01:13 PM   #115
ase2dais
//Mdicted

Garage List
early morning Sat for me Paul !! maybe 930am

its ok, I'll hook my gas guzzler behind a EXXON tanker trunk and hope he has enough for a return trip back
      08-06-2008, 02:48 PM   #116
BK
Smiling politely

Garage List
2006 330i  [4.50]
Quote:
early morning Sat for me Paul !! maybe 930am

its ok, I'll hook my gas guzzler behind a EXXON tanker trunk and hope he has enough for a return trip back
You mention the gas guzzling of your M3 more than anything. Is it really so bad? Any regrets?

330i | Black Sapphire | Beige + Burl | Sport | Premium | Cold | Nav | CA | Sat prep
      08-06-2008, 03:11 PM   #117
bubbletea 4 me
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: Finally here

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90phan View Post
I'm going Saturday in the AM...but might roll with the IS instead of the e90. What time are you slotted for?
My time slot is 1:30 and planning to roll out at around 11:30.

I have something else scheduled for Sunday so that's not doable... or else i be more than happy to roll with everyone on sun.

it's all good man, just want to see how many might go on sat so maybe i will run into some nice bimmers on my way there.

E90Phan - do you have an Lexus IS? My buddy has an IS350 but i think he will be rolling with me in my car..lol.
      08-06-2008, 03:14 PM   #118
ase2dais
//Mdicted

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BK View Post
You mention the gas guzzling of your M3 more than anything. Is it really so bad? Any regrets?
Its what I expected from doing my homework, its about the same as my e46 M3 doing full throttle... maybe a mile or 2 less. average around town (not DC traffic) 14.8-16.5 mpg. If you do some serious aggresive driving with Sport+plus mode, Servtronic steering and EDC(sports suspension) and alot of rev-matching and engine breaking, its a Respectable 11mpg

thats the new term on the M3post board Respectable 11mpg or less.
I have no regrets, since Im happy to still drive a 24mpg ave daily car. I finally caught the Jerez Blck e90 M3 in my neighborhood at the traffic light the other day. The guy had his wife driving while their baby seat was at the back, we chatted at the light and it reminded me of how you would look with your family and kids in an M.

But no regrets, Im very please. Its my theraphy from work and a toy Brian, dont be tempted ... \
      08-06-2008, 03:45 PM   #119
BK
Smiling politely

Garage List
2006 330i  [4.50]
Quote:
The guy had his wife driving while their baby seat was at the back, we chatted at the light and it reminded me of how you would look with your family and kids in an M.

My wife doesn't roll her eyes anymore when I mention an M3, so clearly I've broken down her resolve somewhat. That's a start. She even asked about the ED program yesterday (can you do that with an M?). It looks like we're getting closer to having one in the garage. Of course, I just have to get a garage first.

08-06-2008, 03:51 PM   #120
ase2dais
//Mdicted

Garage List

you gotta to be kidding

Way-to-Go Brian, ED would be nice, yes it can be had. But M3 ED prices are the same as US prices, unlike the 328/335i.

DCT is a killer with the new iDrive ?

Last edited by ase2dais; 08-07-2008 at 05:41 AM.
      08-08-2008, 11:51 AM   #121
pseto
Major General

Drives: M3 E92 ZCP, M Roadster, X5 4.4

Quote:
For those headed to Summit Point on Sunday, who's meeting up at Tysons 10am?

August 10th - 1:30PM
1) Iatacs19
2) FrankoQ - YES
3) KL2DC
4) Pseto - YES
5) BK - NO
6) SpaceGray335i
7) TopRacer
8) Landshark
9)
10)
Donny/Juan/etc - who else is meeting Sun morning? if no wants to meet, Frank and I will meet you guys at Summit Point

Become a BMW CCA member & reference my member# 339225
Join our NCC Facebook Page
pseto is offline   United_States
      08-08-2008, 12:44 PM   #122
elbert
digging for gold

Drives: Ford Tempo GL

I did this event yesterday. The Audi people were very friendly and courteous.

When you register they ask if you are there with a group of people, so I think they make the attempt to keep you together. I would advise you to get there about an hour early. I asked the woman (btw, they all looked like they were in their early 30's and were smokin) what the max number of people per session and (iirc) she said it was 90. I hope she was wrong. I guess there were around 40 in my group and that was a reasonable size but any larger will mean less seat time.

They had a few S and RS cars on display. There is also a nice lounge upstairs where they have snacks and drinks. You can chill out here until they call your session.

presentation:
You sit through a 30 minute presentation about the new a4. I felt like I was there to buy a timeshare in Florida.

* Apparently it is a completely new car. They make a big deal about this feature called "Drive Select" which lets you fine tune the car to how you want. More on that later.
* Audi is trying hard to be perceived as a performance brand. They were touting the advantages of quattro in motorsports but of course failed to mention how heavy their cars are. More on that later as well.
* Just like any DE, there will be someone asking questions and make comments so that he (it's always a guy, chicks never ask questions) can appear smart and car savvy.

driving:
They divide the people into two groups based on the name badge they give you at registration. One group tests drives the cars in a mini autocross type setup, the other does some laps.

I was in the autox group first. They had a 328xi, IS250 awd, and a C300. There was no G37x but I'm not sure if they are available yet. They said in the lecture they tried to bring the IS350 which would be a more fair comparison (both in specs and price) than the IS250 but "weren't able to acquire any" Yeeeahhhh, right.

All cars had automatics. The IS had the most intrusive stability control that beeps each time it is activated. The A4 hazards light up when you hit the brakes hard.

Honestly I think all the cars kinda sucked at this type of driving, but the A4 sucked the least. It handled well but it is one heavy sumbitch of a car. The suspension does a really good job hiding this fact but it is still heavy. I checked audiusa.com for the curb weight and it isn't listed My guess is it weighs around 3800 pounds.

That Drive Select is a total gimmick. I know there will be people that swear it makes a difference. It really didn't. Not at this venue anyway. The automatic still is slow to shift, even when using the paddle shifter. The throttle may have been slightly more responsive but at the cost of making (smooth) throttle modulation more difficult. The steering did feel a bit heavier but not enough to make the feature worth the $3k or so asking price. Suspension felt about the same.

Lapping:
I got to do some laps after that. It's on a slightly modified Shenandoah that is run clockwise. Yes exit out of that karousel is as rough as you think it will be. I think they ran it this way because it would make other parts of the track safer for all the knuckleheads that think they can drive because they play GT4/Forza.

They have Arai GP5K helmets for loaners. I'm guessing it is probably better than what you have, so you can leave yours at home They also provide surprisingly nice headsocks so you don't have to worry about cooties as much.

They take people out in several groups, each with one instructor followed by two or three cars. You do about five laps, then switch with the person you're riding with.

There are radios in the car and the guy leading kept a pretty good eye on what was going on.

It was ok. If you've done DE's before and not in D group you may be bored. I had more fun telling my codriver where to look, when to start tracking out, when to hit the gas, etc.

Afterwards:
When you're done, you fill out a quick survey on ipod touches about the experience and the car. Hit "submit" and they give you a baseball cap.

Then you can go back to the lapping area and they will let you take another Audi on the track. You can pick an A5, A6, A8, Q7, and I think there was an A3 as well.
Same thing as before, follow the leader for a couple laps, then switch with your co-driver.

I really wanted to drive the Q7 (don't get to drive an SUV on the track too often) but that was already spoken for. I got into the A5 which is distinctively worse than the new A4. Felt even heavier than the A4.
The guy in front of me driving the A6 was driving way over his head and almost lost control a couple times in the Karousel. So be careful out there!

Summary:
If you have never done any sort of performance driving (autocross or DE), or done only an event or two, this will be a lot of fun and a good learning experience. I had signed up to get my gf into driving but she chickened out. I still had fun though, as it was a great way to spend a beautiful sunny day outside.
      08-08-2008, 12:52 PM   #123
KL2DC

Drives: E90 328i, E85 Z4 3.0i

Garage List
2011 E90 328i  [0.00]
2006 E85 Z4 3.0i  [0.00]
Send a message via MSN to KL2DC
elbert, that was a finely written review. Thanks for sharing, I enjoyed it

Sounds to be a copycat setup to last June's Lexus Driving Academy for the most part except for the additional lapping option.

Should be an ok few hours to spend...

Official DC Metro Registry - Current, New & Prospective Area Members Roll Call!
KL2DC is offline   United_States
      08-08-2008, 01:01 PM   #124
e90phan
Colonel

Quote:
E90Phan - do you have an Lexus IS? My buddy has an IS350 but i think he will be rolling with me in my car..lol.
It's the wifey's IS....and it's a lowly 250 AWD

I want to take my car, but she wants to log some miles on the IS. We'll prolly cross paths at the event; good chance to eye your e92 in good light.

Forecast calls for sunny skies
      08-08-2008, 01:01 PM   #125
e90phan
Colonel

Nice testi....

Quote:
Originally Posted by elbert View Post
I did this event yesterday. The Audi people were very friendly and courteous.

When you register they ask if you are there with a group of people, so I think they make the attempt to keep you together. I would advise you to get there about an hour early. I asked the woman (btw, they all looked like they were in their early 30's and were smokin) what the max number of people per session and (iirc) she said it was 90. I hope she was wrong. I guess there were around 40 in my group and that was a reasonable size but any larger will mean less seat time.

They had a few S and RS cars on display. There is also a nice lounge upstairs where they have snacks and drinks. You can chill out here until they call your session.

presentation:
You sit through a 30 minute presentation about the new a4. I felt like I was there to buy a timeshare in Florida.

* Apparently it is a completely new car. They make a big deal about this feature called "Drive Select" which lets you fine tune the car to how you want. More on that later.
* Audi is trying hard to be perceived as a performance brand. They were touting the advantages of quattro in motorsports but of course failed to mention how heavy their cars are. More on that later as well.
* Just like any DE, there will be someone asking questions and make comments so that he (it's always a guy, chicks never ask questions) can appear smart and car savvy.

driving:
They divide the people into two groups based on the name badge they give you at registration. One group tests drives the cars in a mini autocross type setup, the other does some laps.

I was in the autox group first. They had a 328xi, IS250 awd, and a C300. There was no G37x but I'm not sure if they are available yet. They said in the lecture they tried to bring the IS350 which would be a more fair comparison (both in specs and price) than the IS250 but "weren't able to acquire any" Yeeeahhhh, right.

All cars had automatics. The IS had the most intrusive stability control that beeps each time it is activated. The A4 hazards light up when you hit the brakes hard.

Honestly I think all the cars kinda sucked at this type of driving, but the A4 sucked the least. It handled well but it is one heavy sumbitch of a car. The suspension does a really good job hiding this fact but it is still heavy. I checked audiusa.com for the curb weight and it isn't listed My guess is it weighs around 3800 pounds.

That Drive Select is a total gimmick. I know there will be people that swear it makes a difference. It really didn't. Not at this venue anyway. The automatic still is slow to shift, even when using the paddle shifter. The throttle may have been slightly more responsive but at the cost of making (smooth) throttle modulation more difficult. The steering did feel a bit heavier but not enough to make the feature worth the $3k or so asking price. Suspension felt about the same.

Lapping:
I got to do some laps after that. It's on a slightly modified Shenandoah that is run clockwise. Yes exit out of that karousel is as rough as you think it will be. I think they ran it this way because it would make other parts of the track safer for all the knuckleheads that think they can drive because they play GT4/Forza.

They have Arai GP5K helmets for loaners. I'm guessing it is probably better than what you have, so you can leave yours at home They also provide surprisingly nice headsocks so you don't have to worry about cooties as much.

They take people out in several groups, each with one instructor followed by two or three cars. You do about five laps, then switch with the person you're riding with.

There are radios in the car and the guy leading kept a pretty good eye on what was going on.

It was ok. If you've done DE's before and not in D group you may be bored. I had more fun telling my codriver where to look, when to start tracking out, when to hit the gas, etc.

Afterwards:
When you're done, you fill out a quick survey on ipod touches about the experience and the car. Hit "submit" and they give you a baseball cap.

Then you can go back to the lapping area and they will let you take another Audi on the track. You can pick an A5, A6, A8, Q7, and I think there was an A3 as well.
Same thing as before, follow the leader for a couple laps, then switch with your co-driver.

I really wanted to drive the Q7 (don't get to drive an SUV on the track too often) but that was already spoken for. I got into the A5 which is distinctively worse than the new A4. Felt even heavier than the A4.
The guy in front of me driving the A6 was driving way over his head and almost lost control a couple times in the Karousel. So be careful out there!

Summary:
If you have never done any sort of performance driving (autocross or DE), or done only an event or two, this will be a lot of fun and a good learning experience. I had signed up to get my gf into driving but she chickened out. I still had fun though, as it was a great way to spend a beautiful sunny day outside.
      08-08-2008, 01:49 PM   #126
bubbletea 4 me
Lieutenant Colonel

nice review. im looking forward to it and spend a nice day outside driving some cars.
      08-08-2008, 01:53 PM   #127
MnK6
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: 엠쓰리

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
nice review. im looking forward to it and spend a nice day outside driving some cars.
Forget Audi's man, Go drive yours, shits hot!
      08-08-2008, 02:03 PM   #128
KL2DC

Garage List
2011 E90 328i  [0.00]
2006 E85 Z4 3.0i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MnK6 View Post

08-08-2008, 02:45 PM   #129
bubbletea 4 me
Lieutenant Colonel

Quote:

Thanks. I'm sure i love driving mine more than any of the cars they can provide at the Audi thingy (maybe other than the R8..hehe), but how i look at it is you can't truely appreciate what you have until you drive the lesser cars.

for example, i drove my beater (isuzu troooper) while the bimmer was in the shop to get the coils/alignment done. once i picked up the bimmer, i just can't describe how much i missed it and my new found appreciation for it. hard to explain but im sure i'll have the same feeling after driving those A4, A5, 328, is250 or whatever else they have.

oh and part of the reason i want to go is so i can drive my car out on a nice day to an interesting place
      08-08-2008, 02:53 PM   #130
KL2DC

Garage List
2011 E90 328i  [0.00]
2006 E85 Z4 3.0i  [0.00]
Quote:
Donny/Juan/etc - who else is meeting Sun morning? if no wants to meet, Frank and I will meet you guys at Summit Point
Up to you guys, I'm open. As discussed last night, I live in the area.

So who else is confirmed to go in the 1:30 Sunday slot?

08-08-2008, 03:16 PM   #131
MnK6
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: 엠쓰리

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Sundays are for Church. Amen.
      08-08-2008, 04:05 PM   #132
KL2DC

Garage List
2011 E90 328i  [0.00]
2006 E85 Z4 3.0i  [0.00]
Quote:
Sundays are for Church. Amen.
Chase underage church tails another day man, join us