E90Post
 


GetBMWParts
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Bl**dy Inland Revenue - GRRR!!!!!



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      03-10-2008, 10:38 AM   #1
NFS
Major General
NFS's Avatar
United Kingdom
113
Rep
9,216
Posts

 
Drives: 335i m-sport LCI
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Bl**dy Inland Revenue - GRRR!!!!!

Why does it take 2 years to sort out a basic tax rebate?

__________________
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2008, 10:54 AM   #2
chrisbin
Colonel
chrisbin's Avatar
36
Rep
2,328
Posts

 
Drives: M-Benz C250CDi Est
Join Date: May 2005
Location: S.Wales, UK

iTrader: (1)

..........because otherwise you would spend it...............!!
__________________
Current - M-Benz C250Cdi Sport Plus Auto Est.

Previous - Alpina D3 BiTurbo E90 LCI Manual, 320d M Sport E92 Auto, 330i M Sport E92 courtesy of BMW UK....320i M Sport E92 Auto, 320d SE E90 Manual.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2008, 01:31 PM   #3
NFS
Major General
NFS's Avatar
United Kingdom
113
Rep
9,216
Posts

 
Drives: 335i m-sport LCI
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

I've just been rummaging around trying to get some information together to respond to the beggars and found this on their website:

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/cars/icm02000.pdf

It's staggering reading.

In summary the changes to company car taxation in 2002 saved 'about' 150,000-200,000 tonnes of CO2 emissions per annum.

The 'cost' of a 1 tonne CO2 credit is 8 so this equates to a capital value of 1.6M.

However, the 'one off' costs to employers as a result of the change were 55M and it was expected to REDUCE revenue to the government by 140M a year.

So the revenue have 'spent' nearly 200m to achieve a 0.5% reduction in CO2 emissions which could be achieved on the open market at less than 1% of that cost
In the process they have removed what for me was one of the real pleasures of work - a nice company car.

How is it that these idiots still have jobs????

Actually - this poor sod had it worse ...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/liv...70&expand=true
__________________

Last edited by NFS; 03-10-2008 at 01:55 PM.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2008, 02:54 PM   #4
beemerbird
Major General
beemerbird's Avatar
England
88
Rep
7,953
Posts

 
Drives: Merc diesel
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Yorkshire

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Simon, I'm sure you've contacted Inland Revenue on numerous occasions regarding your tax rebate and have been 'armed' with all the relevant information?

If you haven't already, I'd suggest writing directly (don't phone) to the Customer Services Manager at your particular tax office explaining the inefficient service you have received from them. These sort of letters SHOULD be taken very seriously if they wish to meet their Customer Service key performance indicator as part of their overall yearly production targets.

Sorry if you've already done all this, but all I know is if we received such a letter it WOULD be acted on immediately otherwise questions would be asked!

If not I'll ring them internally for you through the Govt. phone network, believe me it works
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2008, 03:09 PM   #5
mikem
Lieutenant Colonel
29
Rep
1,549
Posts

 
Drives: Z4M
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Somewhere

iTrader: (0)

I always do my self assesment on line and never have any problems, in fact last year I got my rebate paid into my account within 2 weeks of filing the return.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2008, 03:33 PM   #6
jjbirch
Banned
jjbirch's Avatar
35
Rep
2,927
Posts

 
Drives: E60 530D M SPORT
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: england

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
beemer are u to do with the tax office
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2008, 03:35 PM   #7
Cafe.Racer
Captain
Cafe.Racer's Avatar
United Kingdom
14
Rep
896
Posts

 
Drives: 320d Touring
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Nottingham, UK

iTrader: (1)

AND this is all based on the fact that CO2 in the atmosphere IS a contributor to Global Warming.

It's all a big con - in a few hundred years school children will be laughing at us.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2008, 03:45 PM   #8
Steve A
Brigadier General
Steve A's Avatar
United Kingdom
42
Rep
3,464
Posts

 
Drives: too much
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Manchester UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikem View Post
I always do my self assesment on line and never have any problems, in fact last year I got my rebate paid into my account within 2 weeks of filing the return.

how the bleeding hell do you get a tax rebate
__________________
C350 cdi sport estate facelift 457lbft
130i M SportMercedes C350 CDI Sport Estate AutoMini Cooper Auto.Mercedes E250 CGI,Lexus IS-F,R36, RS4 Saloon,ML 420 CDI SPORT,M6, 335d, C55, C32, M3, M5, S3, ALL SOLD but fondly remembered
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2008, 03:51 PM   #9
Snooky
Major
Snooky's Avatar
Scotland
13
Rep
1,165
Posts

 
Drives: Q5 S Line Plus; 208 Gti
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Livingston, Scotland

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve A View Post
how the bleeding hell do you get a tax rebate
Just thinking the same thing Steve!

What does this 're-bate' word mean? Not a concept I understand!
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2008, 03:53 PM   #10
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
dxb335d's Avatar
England
381
Rep
29,290
Posts

 
Drives: E46 M3 CS
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: ''Fandango Towers''

iTrader: (3)

Garage List
What about master...?
__________________
M3 gone .... But I now have a M3 CS
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2008, 03:53 PM   #11
Evil Diesel
Captain
Evil Diesel's Avatar
United Kingdom
11
Rep
803
Posts

 
Drives: E92 335d M Sport
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: London

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve A View Post
how the bleeding hell do you get a tax rebate
When you have lied so much that even you begin to feel guilty then lie some more and, in just a couple of weeks, a rebate arrives. Guilt really should not apply when dealing with those thieving incompetant c*nts at HMRC
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2008, 03:55 PM   #12
NFS
Major General
NFS's Avatar
United Kingdom
113
Rep
9,216
Posts

 
Drives: 335i m-sport LCI
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerbird View Post
Simon, I'm sure you've contacted Inland Revenue on numerous occasions regarding your tax rebate and have been 'armed' with all the relevant information?If you haven't already, I'd suggest writing directly (don't phone) to the Customer Services Manager at your particular tax office explaining the inefficient service you have received from them. These sort of letters SHOULD be taken very seriously if they wish to meet their Customer Service key performance indicator as part of their overall yearly production targets.

Sorry if you've already done all this, but all I know is if we received such a

letter it WOULD be acted on immediately otherwise questions would be asked!

If not I'll ring them internally for you through the Govt. phone network, believe me it works
Thanks for this Beemerbird. I'll address my next letter to the customer services manager.

The irony is that the woman I spoke to today was supposed to have called me to help following my 'complaint', but she completely misunderstood the situation and ended up getting quite arsey with me on the phone.

Anyway ... they were delaying settling my rebate because they were trying to hunt down a bit of extra tax on interest. I've checked all my numbers and I'm pretty sure they owe me money on that too. Plus some more pension payment rebate. It's a nice feeling when that happens The more they try to 'extract' from me the more I'll look for things I can claim back.

The problem is that they won't let me self assess (I think because they always ended up owing me money) so I end up having to keep track of everything separately.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2008, 03:55 PM   #13
Snooky
Major
Snooky's Avatar
Scotland
13
Rep
1,165
Posts

 
Drives: Q5 S Line Plus; 208 Gti
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Livingston, Scotland

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxb335d View Post
What about master...?
Lol = I think you're the mastwah in that area Carlos
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2008, 04:07 PM   #14
BC4J
Captain
BC4J's Avatar
United Kingdom
12
Rep
727
Posts

 
Drives: F30 328i
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Berkshire

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2007 E90 335d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cafe.Racer View Post
It's all a big con - in a few hundred years school children will be laughing at us.
Mine already do.
__________________
Now sold - E90 335d SE Individual: Ruby Black Metallic, Rust Brown Merino Leather, High-gloss Amarone Walnut. And some options.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2008, 04:30 PM   #15
beemerbird
Major General
beemerbird's Avatar
England
88
Rep
7,953
Posts

 
Drives: Merc diesel
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Yorkshire

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by needforspeed View Post
Thanks for this Beemerbird. I'll address my next letter to the customer services manager.

The irony is that the woman I spoke to today was supposed to have called me to help following my 'complaint', but she completely misunderstood the situation and ended up getting quite arsey with me on the phone.

Anyway ... they were delaying settling my rebate because they were trying to hunt down a bit of extra tax on interest. I've checked all my numbers and I'm pretty sure they owe me money on that too. Plus some more pension payment rebate. It's a nice feeling when that happens The more they try to 'extract' from me the more I'll look for things I can claim back.

The problem is that they won't let me self assess (I think because they always ended up owing me money) so I end up having to keep track of everything separately.

Always try and get the persons name, they should answer the phone by giving their name TBH. She should not get arsey with you either - that is out of order to put it mildly.

Defo. keep track of everything seperately because if you can tie them in knots, they will often just believe you rather than making the effort of ploughing through it all themselves. Depends on which officer deals with your tax return etc. My father was an Accountant by profession and he used to love catching the Revenue lot out, all legal of course
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2008, 04:39 PM   #16
mikem
Lieutenant Colonel
29
Rep
1,549
Posts

 
Drives: Z4M
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Somewhere

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Diesel View Post
When you have lied so much that even you begin to feel guilty then lie some more and, in just a couple of weeks, a rebate arrives. Guilt really should not apply when dealing with those thieving incompetant c*nts at HMRC

ROFL, I beleive its called "half the truth and no lies".
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2008, 04:43 PM   #17
peterg1965
Brigadier General
peterg1965's Avatar
United Kingdom
56
Rep
4,138
Posts

 
Drives: MY12 Range Rover Sport HSE
Join Date: May 2007
Location: The place of dark satanic mills, UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve A View Post
how the bleeding hell do you get a tax rebate
Motor mileage allowance relief for me and claiming back higher rate tax relief on pension contributions - should give me about 4000 in May/Jun
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2008, 05:02 PM   #18
mikem
Lieutenant Colonel
29
Rep
1,549
Posts

 
Drives: Z4M
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Somewhere

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterg1965 View Post
Motor mileage allowance relief for me and claiming back higher rate tax relief on pension contributions - should give me about 4000 in May/Jun

Same here Peter.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2008, 03:52 AM   #19
Steve A
Brigadier General
Steve A's Avatar
United Kingdom
42
Rep
3,464
Posts

 
Drives: too much
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Manchester UK

iTrader: (0)

So essentially you've paid too much tax on pension in the first place and havent claimed enough (company doesnt pay enough) milage, and are just balancing it off.

still 4000 is a nice figure to receive
__________________
C350 cdi sport estate facelift 457lbft
130i M SportMercedes C350 CDI Sport Estate AutoMini Cooper Auto.Mercedes E250 CGI,Lexus IS-F,R36, RS4 Saloon,ML 420 CDI SPORT,M6, 335d, C55, C32, M3, M5, S3, ALL SOLD but fondly remembered
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2008, 04:04 AM   #20
NFS
Major General
NFS's Avatar
United Kingdom
113
Rep
9,216
Posts

 
Drives: 335i m-sport LCI
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterg1965 View Post
Motor mileage allowance relief for me and claiming back higher rate tax relief on pension contributions - should give me about 4000 in May/Jun
And me .. that's exactly what I'm trying to get as well ... although my rebate is going to be about half yours.

The reason I am frustrated is that I know I have it right, but the revenue are like a bl**dy brick wall at the moment.

I think my problem is that they have removed me from self assesment, which would have covered this all off nicely each year and they aren't really equipped to deal with this for people who don't self assess.

I find it all pretty bizarre as I have yet to find another higher rate tax payer who does not self assess.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2008, 04:18 AM   #21
Hotcoupe
Major General
Hotcoupe's Avatar
United Kingdom
70
Rep
6,105
Posts

 
Drives: Don't know yet!
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: UK

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
Quote:
needforspeed Quote:
I find it all pretty bizarre as I have yet to find another higher rate tax payer who does not self assess.
Thankfully I came off self assessment 2 yrs ago

I do get a car allowance + I get the full mileage allowance from my company.
I'm guessing the problems are related to company cars and not getting the full mileage allowance?

I think it's about time the revenue looked at the mileage allowances though, as the current 40p per mile (first 10,000mls) and the 25p (for everything over 10,000mls) is looking pretty mean at the moment.

115.9p per ltr for diesel at Reading services yesterday
__________________
=================================


Never argue with an idiot on the internet. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2008, 04:38 AM   #22
NFS
Major General
NFS's Avatar
United Kingdom
113
Rep
9,216
Posts

 
Drives: 335i m-sport LCI
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotcoupe View Post
I think it's about time the revenue looked at the mileage allowances though, as the current 40p per mile (first 10,000mls) and the 25p (for everything over 10,000mls) is looking pretty mean at the moment.
They are, but not in the way you would like. While looking on their website yesterday I noticed a consultation paper in which they were propsing to tier the approved mileage rates against CO2 emissions and mileage.

So a higher emission car would get a starting rate of 25p per mile and low emissions one something like 55p.

Barking mad, because that's exactly the reverse of the intention of the approved mileage rates.

First they f*ck up company cars, now they are trying to f*ck it up for those of us who have opted out.

__________________
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:59 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST