E90Post

European Auto Source

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > RFT...a puncture...what the #@#^%

03-11-2008, 03:12 PM   #1
Cadillac
Private First Class
Rep

Drives: BMW 335i

RFT...a puncture...what the #@#^%

Got in my car this morning to see the dreaded puncture warning light on.

No air in the back left tyre (19") and a dirty big screw in it....
My understanding is you can't fix these things and you have to buy a new tyre...am I right in that assumption?

I will check today but after only 19K in 16 months this could become an expensive hobby.
I guess all the more reason to look for another make in future...BMW will lose me (this is my 3rd) with this BS...they told me the advantage of the RFT is that they are much harder so less prone to nails and screws...the one in my tyre is buried deep. That is not even allowing for the very poor ride, mainly due to the pathetic roads we have.

p.s. Drove to work (22Km)on the flat and you would not think that it had a puncture, handled the same (Drove at max 70kmph) and looked the same...I guess one benefit.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2008, 05:17 PM   #2
VGR00
Major
Australia
Rep

Drives: 125I Edition Sport Carbon Blk

Depends on where the screw is located. if it is located on the tread portion of the tyre then you should be able to get it patched like a normal tyre. If you go to a Bridstone centre then tey deffinitly wont repair the tyre but other should attempt it. I hear that getting the tyre of the rim is the hardest part because the sidewalls are so stiff.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2008, 06:17 PM   #3
amberzombie
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Drives: 118i M Sport

Garage List
2007 E90 320i  [0.00]
yeah bring your car to bob jane or beaurepaires i'm pretty sure they'll gladly patch it up for you (providing you haven't damaged the sidewalls too much by the time you get there)
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2008, 08:50 PM   #4
Sherweeeny
New kid on the block
Australia
Rep

Drives: 325ci Sport, Civic Sport

is there any way to replace all 4 with conventional tyres?

plus, wouldnt that make the ride quality better?
      03-11-2008, 08:58 PM   #5
JamieA
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Drives: E90 325i SG

Send a message via MSN to JamieA
If you have driven any real distance on the tyre, chances are that they will be unwilling to repair it because there is apparently no way to tell how damaged the sidewalls became during that trip.

I have replaced all my RFTs with conventional ones, and it is the best thing I ever did. No more tramlining, much smoother and quieter ride, feels like a real luxury car
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2008, 10:18 PM   #6
BBQWER
Banned
Rep

Drives: E93 325i

Send a message via MSN to BBQWER Send a message via Skype™ to BBQWER
Which one is the good brand for 18" conventional tyres? im using RFT and it feels so bumpy.
and what is the disadvantages for conventional tyres?
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2008, 10:58 PM   #7
Sherweeeny
New kid on the block
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQWER View Post
Which one is the good brand for 18" conventional tyres? im using RFT and it feels so bumpy.
ive had yokohama advan sports on there, 225/35 as apparently its pretty rare, and tomorrow they will be replace by BFGoodrichs, theres also the pzeros, but the BFG's are pretty good value for money for about 419 a tyre.

disadvantages? you tyre will lose air if you puncture it lol
      03-12-2008, 03:33 AM   #8
astra
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Drives: BMW 325Ci Individual

Garage List
Send a message via MSN to astra
Quote:
I have always used Pirelli and Continental, very good tyres, great grip

From what I was told last time I went to Trivett Tyres, the runflats can not be sucessfully repaired, and the repair will not last...
      03-12-2008, 04:55 AM   #9
amberzombie
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2007 E90 320i  [0.00]
the ONLY disadvantage of having conventional tires on an E9x is that you don't have a spare in case you get a puncture.

yes only ONE disadvantage
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2008, 06:38 AM   #10
Sherweeeny
New kid on the block
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by amberzombie View Post
the ONLY disadvantage of having conventional tires on an E9x is that you don't have a spare in case you get a puncture.

there should be a space in the boot?
      03-12-2008, 06:46 AM   #11
OzStriker
Captain
Australia
Rep

Drives: Ford Falcon Ute, Ducati 1198S

Garage List
Send a message via MSN to OzStriker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherweeeny View Post
there should be a space in the boot?
There is no space in the boot, thats the whole reason for runflats and M Mobility kits in the E9x's.

Michelin PS2s are quite hard to come by in my size, when I do any serious travelling I will be sure to take a full spare rim and tyre in the boot.
BMW E92 M3 6MT, G-Power SKII supercharged, custom exhaust with 100 cell cats and Remus Sport mufflers, Brembo 380mm BBK, BMW Performance steering wheel, LUX H8 angel eyes, CF CSL boot, Hamann CF diffuser, Vorsteiner CF lip, CF grilles, CF gills, CF bonnet vents, BMW Performance stripes, RAC RG63 wheels, Eibach lowering springs, camber modifications.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2008, 06:48 AM   #12
bimmerron
Private First Class
Rep

Drives: E92 335

I replaced my RFT's with Yokohama V103 after a similar problem. Terrific, much better ride, more traction wet and dry. No problems using them on BMW RFT rims. Get a BMW tyre mobility kit about $120.00, and you are set up like an M car. (No M cars use RFT's and come with a mobility kit instead of a spare). BMW jack kit is also worth having, come with a great wheel tension wrench.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2008, 08:23 AM   #13
RN318
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Drives: BMW :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzStriker View Post
There is no space in the boot, thats the whole reason for runflats and M Mobility kits in the E9x's.

Michelin PS2s are quite hard to come by in my size, when I do any serious travelling I will be sure to take a full spare rim and tyre in the boot.
You know how E46 M3s have no spare tyre due to the rear muffler taking up so much space?
Maybe that could also be a reason why E9X M3s and 335is don't have room for a spare, RFT or conventional.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2008, 12:58 PM   #14
Cadillac
Private First Class
Rep

Trivett tyres charged $750 for the 19" rear tyre etc.
Pretty good service I must sya also.
Bridgestone needed 3 days to get the tyre in.

They also advised against fixing as a potential warranty issue.
Since the car is a novated lease I guess the real cost is not so bad. As far as ride is concerned that is an issue of our roads not the car.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2008, 05:22 PM   #15
VGR00
Major
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadillac View Post
As far as ride is concerned that is an issue of our roads not the car.
No my friend ...... that is not true.

The ride on my 19" non RFT is far superiour to the bumpy harsh ride on my 17" RFT. On the RFT, the suspension was crashing all the time over bumps. These days, the ride is smooth as glass. I can only higly recommend dumping the RFT. My 17" wheels are in hibination for when I sell the car and that is the only time they are going back on.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2008, 05:26 PM   #16
OzStriker
Captain
Australia
Rep

Drives: Ford Falcon Ute, Ducati 1198S

Garage List
Send a message via MSN to OzStriker
Yeh it is common knowledge that ride quality and performance suffers with RFTs, this is why M cars don't use them.
BMW E92 M3 6MT, G-Power SKII supercharged, custom exhaust with 100 cell cats and Remus Sport mufflers, Brembo 380mm BBK, BMW Performance steering wheel, LUX H8 angel eyes, CF CSL boot, Hamann CF diffuser, Vorsteiner CF lip, CF grilles, CF gills, CF bonnet vents, BMW Performance stripes, RAC RG63 wheels, Eibach lowering springs, camber modifications.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2008, 02:00 AM   #17
Cadillac
Private First Class
Rep

I did not say the RFT are better than non RFT...what I said was our roads cause the bulk of the ride isues and quality on a RFT.
My 335i with 19" drives and handles great on the F3/M7 and M2

Having driven all over Germany/Spain/France/Italy and may other European countries and having lived in the USA for over 8 years (Owning BMW's with RFT) etc I can assure you our roads suck.
I would rather have a RFT at 250KMH on a German autobahn than a non RFT

Simply put Australian roads are not world standard...and yes I would agree that non RFT would handle better and drive more like a luxury car should.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2008, 06:46 AM   #18
amberzombie
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2007 E90 320i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadillac View Post
I did not say the RFT are better than non RFT...what I said was our roads cause the bulk of the ride isues and quality on a RFT.
My 335i with 19" drives and handles great on the F3/M7 and M2

Having driven all over Germany/Spain/France/Italy and may other European countries and having lived in the USA for over 8 years (Owning BMW's with RFT) etc I can assure you our roads suck.
I would rather have a RFT at 250KMH on a German autobahn than a non RFT

Simply put Australian roads are not world standard...and yes I would agree that non RFT would handle better and drive more like a luxury car should.
i agree with you but i do think the RFTs and poor road conditions do go hand in hand to make driving in sydney in a beemer using RFT an aweful experience. sometimes when i daydream i dream about the day where the headlines of the newspapers read: "DAMNING EVIDENCE - SYDNEY ROADS ARE WORST IN THE WORLD"

i dont know if i'll get flamed by the patriots amongst us but i think it's got a lot to do with the extremely backward and old-fashioned road engineering in Australia. it is quite clear to me that the transport ministry/department/whatever do not give a toss about the road conditions.\

Actually if Top Gear Australia does take off i really would like them to do an episode comparing the road conditions around Australia and possible around the neighbouring countries. we will be in for a very big surprise

i assure all of you. Roads in China are better (i just went there on holidays)
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2008, 07:08 AM   #19
AndDee
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Drives: 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by amberzombie View Post

For that reason alone I would never change from runflats. Too big of a risk
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2008, 09:13 AM   #20
BBQWER
Banned
Rep

Drives: E93 325i

Send a message via MSN to BBQWER Send a message via Skype™ to BBQWER
bmw sydney quote $120 for mobility kit. is this good deal ? i might get this next week, for my trip to melbourne haha
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2008, 03:40 PM   #21
AndDee
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Drives: 335i Coupe

Quote:
bmw sydney quote $120 for mobility kit. is this good deal ? i might get this next week, for my trip to melbourne haha
Besides having insurance on your car, its the smartest thing you could do
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2008, 05:18 PM   #22
VGR00
Major
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndDee View Post
For that reason alone I would never change from runflats. Too big of a risk
It's not a big risk at all. $120 gets you a mobility kit. Worst case scenario that the mobility kit wont get you going is you call a tow truck. Conventional tyres are at least half the price of RFT so you could afford to call a tow truck many times. I better touch some wood here but I've never had a flat once in 20 years of driving. I've picked up screws / nails or bolts and had to have it fixed but never have I had to change a tyre roadside so I think my contingency plan is just.
Appreciate 0