E90Post

TireRack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Carbon Fiber 'Fabric/Cloth' for wrapping trim?? What kind/specs to purchase??

01-04-2016, 03:32 PM   #1
stashtrey
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 335xi TiAg

Garage List
Carbon Fiber 'Fabric/Cloth' for wrapping trim?? What kind/specs to purchase??

I've been researching wrapping my interior trim with actual carbon fiber fabric cloth.

I've seen the threads from a few years ago where PYSpeed was selling the material and had a DIY on how to do it. They had several options of color including the popular matte/charcoal that matched the M3 pretty well.

All of the user threads I've see were from someone using the PYSpeed product. Unfortunately PYSpeed no longer has any mention of this product on their website and the threads are all dead as of a couple years ago from what I can find.

I've been browsing Amazon and eBay but there are way too many options and I don't know if any of them are what PYSpeed was selling.

Does anyone on here know where to source the right stuff for 'wrapping' (not actual 'hardening' with resin etc) interior trim?? The stuff online has different 'weight' from 5 oz to 20 oz. Assuming that is the thickness?

Any experts with experience and knowledge that can offer some suggestions? I'd be super grateful for any direction!!

Cheers and happy new year!
      01-05-2016, 06:59 AM   #2
RVS
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: N54

Quote:
Originally Posted by stashtrey View Post
I've been researching wrapping my interior trim with actual carbon fiber fabric cloth.

I've seen the threads from a few years ago where PYSpeed was selling the material and had a DIY on how to do it. They had several options of color including the popular matte/charcoal that matched the M3 pretty well.

All of the user threads I've see were from someone using the PYSpeed product. Unfortunately PYSpeed no longer has any mention of this product on their website and the threads are all dead as of a couple years ago from what I can find.

I've been browsing Amazon and eBay but there are way too many options and I don't know if any of them are what PYSpeed was selling.

Does anyone on here know where to source the right stuff for 'wrapping' (not actual 'hardening' with resin etc) interior trim?? The stuff online has different 'weight' from 5 oz to 20 oz. Assuming that is the thickness?

Any experts with experience and knowledge that can offer some suggestions? I'd be super grateful for any direction!!

Cheers and happy new year!
You are better off using 3m carbon fiber vinyl than cloth vinyl.

For cloth you'll need glue and adhesive promoter..it's a whole lot of mess to begin with, I can speak from experience when I used pyspeed cloth carbon fiber to wrap kidney grills.

With vinyl much more easier to handle and plenty of useful tips on here and YouTube.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2016, 01:50 PM   #3
LuxAngelEyes
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2006 325xi, Sparkling Graphite

use 3m scotchprint 1080 instead, its much better and made for exterior use
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2016, 03:52 PM   #4
stashtrey
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Thanks guys.. I have used dinoc and Scotch print several times. Just looking for a new project and something different. Some of the pics I've seen look great.

I found something similar on eBay yesterday and ordered a couple of yards to experiment.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2016, 03:52 PM   #5
stashtrey
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
...also should mention this is for interior trim..
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2016, 04:29 PM   #6
Jforward
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

I'm also looking to source Carbon fiber fabric to wrap my trim. Anyone able to find this anywhere these days? Interested in fabric vs.vinyl.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2016, 06:29 PM   #7
N54sk8r
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i e92

I got my carbon fabric from py speed 3 years ago . I took about 4 days to do due to my schedule. A few tips for you
Take your time
Order enough to make mistakes
Don't use super 77 inside your house unless you want sticky every thing including television.

Not to scare you but the only problem I ran into is the ash tray covers . You can't spray too much glue because it makes opening and closing difficult .
Attached Images

Appreciate 0