E90Post
 


 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > SSTT to Dinan review.



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      03-19-2008, 12:58 PM   #1
funkdoc
Private First Class
 
funkdoc's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 335i Space Gray/Coral Red
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: San Jose

Posts: 134
iTrader: (0)

SSTT to Dinan review.

I got my 08 Step 335 coupe dinan flashed a few days ago at Dinan-Campbell here in the South Bay. Pretty much every review has been right on- decreased throttle sensitivity, more engine drone at cruise, and an overall smoothness that was lacking at stock levels. Instead of boring you with all that, heres the performance differences.

The SSTT was a nice little bump in power over stock that was trouble free. Part throttle response was improved and power in all gears was evident right away and more with further adaptation. Even the jerkiness at take off was less prominent with the turbo tuner. I added the BMC air filter and the car felt even better. On a 100 octane mix with our crappola 91 octane, I reeled off a 4.66 0-60, 10.9 0-100 and 13.09 at 109.4mph on my g-tech pro in sub 50 degree temps at a soft 1100 rpm launch and 1/4 tank of gas. Not bad.

Why upgrade the SSTT to Dinan? Simple. I would always have to fill up with 100 octane at my local 76 to really feel the turbo tuner come alive, torque and powerwise. It started to be pretty bank for me even tho fricken 91 here is almost 4 bucks. I also wanted more low and midrange torque that the Dinan dyno curves have been showing and a little more from 5-6k rpms.

Now to the Dinan: adaptation was pretty quick with a few wot pulls. Prior to the flash, I filled up with a full tank of 91 and stock air filter to see how that compared on the butt dyno to the SSTT with 100/91 mix. The torque from 3k to 6k is amazing and very addicting. This car now has a very linear power burst up the rev band. Highway pulls are more fuller from 4k to 6k and just ramps up without a let down. I cant wait to fill up on 100 octane next week and hopefully make some real passes at Infineon with a couple buddies- wish I could run at Sac tho. So for fun, last night I did a couple g-tech runs in 54 degree night. 0-60 in 4.39 0-100 in 10.2 and 1/4 mile---12.90 at 111.8mph just flooring it from a dead stop with no wheelspin. Then I turned around and immediately ran again but with a 1500 rpm launch. I got 4.61 and 13.05 at 109 with major chirpage of the tires. Maybe heat soak, definitely felt slower the second time. This was with the bmc filter on btw.

All in all, I am happy with the Dinan flash and am waiting for stage 2 since the power does drop after 6k. Both the sstt and dinan are great upgrades over stock. Different strokes for different folks..
funkdoc is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-19-2008, 01:11 PM   #2
Bubbles
Green Bastard
 
Bubbles's Avatar
 
Drives: ZCP-Powered
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Bishop Bend

Posts: 3,545
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkdoc View Post
I got my 08 Step 335 coupe dinan flashed a few days ago at Dinan-Campbell here in the South Bay. Pretty much every review has been right on- decreased throttle sensitivity, more engine drone at cruise, and an overall smoothness that was lacking at stock levels. Instead of boring you with all that, heres the performance differences.

The SSTT was a nice little bump in power over stock that was trouble free. Part throttle response was improved and power in all gears was evident right away and more with further adaptation. Even the jerkiness at take off was less prominent with the turbo tuner. I added the BMC air filter and the car felt even better. On a 100 octane mix with our crappola 91 octane, I reeled off a 4.66 0-60, 10.9 0-100 and 13.09 at 109.4mph on my g-tech pro in sub 50 degree temps at a soft 1100 rpm launch and 1/4 tank of gas. Not bad.

Why upgrade the SSTT to Dinan? Simple. I would always have to fill up with 100 octane at my local 76 to really feel the turbo tuner come alive, torque and powerwise. It started to be pretty bank for me even tho fricken 91 here is almost 4 bucks. I also wanted more low and midrange torque that the Dinan dyno curves have been showing and a little more from 5-6k rpms.

Now to the Dinan: adaptation was pretty quick with a few wot pulls. Prior to the flash, I filled up with a full tank of 91 and stock air filter to see how that compared on the butt dyno to the SSTT with 100/91 mix. The torque from 3k to 6k is amazing and very addicting. This car now has a very linear power burst up the rev band. Highway pulls are more fuller from 4k to 6k and just ramps up without a let down. I cant wait to fill up on 100 octane next week and hopefully make some real passes at Infineon with a couple buddies- wish I could run at Sac tho. So for fun, last night I did a couple g-tech runs in 54 degree night. 0-60 in 4.39 0-100 in 10.2 and 1/4 mile---12.90 at 111.8mph just flooring it from a dead stop with no wheelspin. Then I turned around and immediately ran again but with a 1500 rpm launch. I got 4.61 and 13.05 at 109 with major chirpage of the tires. Maybe heat soak, definitely felt slower the second time. This was with the bmc filter on btw.

All in all, I am happy with the Dinan flash and am waiting for stage 2 since the power does drop after 6k. Both the sstt and dinan are great upgrades over stock. Different strokes for different folks..
Nice review, good to see some numbers. Dinan is making a killing off these flashes.
__________________
Bubbles is offline   Cayman Islands
0
Reply With Quote
      03-19-2008, 01:14 PM   #3
5soko
Brigadier General
 
5soko's Avatar
 
Drives: M5
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Brooklyn, NY

Posts: 4,208
iTrader: (4)

nice review. enjoy the dinan flash, i hear its really good.
__________________
Current: ///M5 LCI with Evolve and RPi mods
Previous: E92 335i ||| FBO Heavy modded E90 LCI M-Sport 335i
5soko is offline   Montenegro
0
Reply With Quote
      03-19-2008, 01:49 PM   #4
funkdoc
Private First Class
 
funkdoc's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 335i Space Gray/Coral Red
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: San Jose

Posts: 134
iTrader: (0)

Well on 91 octane, the Dinan definitely feels a bit better from 3.5k to 6k compared to the SSTT on higher octane. 91 to 91 is a big difference torque and power wise. I havent tried the Dinan yet on higher octane but would only guess that it is fairly better due to higher boost and the dynos showing about 50whp and 70wtq. Bang for the buck, its your money so I cant say, but I was able to sell the turbo tuner same day.
funkdoc is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-19-2008, 01:53 PM   #5
ybbiz34
Moderator
 
ybbiz34's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 C63 AMG Sedan
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: USA

Posts: 4,432
iTrader: (1)

Thank you for the review. Like Bubbles said, there seem to be more and more happy Dinan customers. Good to see you enjoyed the SSTT as well.
ybbiz34 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-19-2008, 01:58 PM   #6
ChaneRZ
If You Aint First, You're last !!!
 
ChaneRZ's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 BMW 335i, 01 Honda Prelude
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: California

Posts: 2,500
iTrader: (0)

nice review. i would get the dinan flash when i have the moula.
__________________

08 BMW BSM 335i 6MT (Sports, Premium, NAV, PDC, AS, IPOD, HD Radio, Rear Sunshade, OEM Alarm) Angel iBright V3, Luminics Fog Bulb, Turbo Tuner, K&N Drop in Filter, Dinan Exhaust, Dinan Pedals, Vorsteiner CF Front Lip, and CF Rear Diffuser. Ordered:08/25/07 Started: 09/09/07 Finished: 09/14/07 On Ship: 09/15/07 Arrived: 10/08/07 Delivered: 10/10/07
ChaneRZ is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-19-2008, 02:47 PM   #7
Bubbles
Green Bastard
 
Bubbles's Avatar
 
Drives: ZCP-Powered
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Bishop Bend

Posts: 3,545
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkNg335i View Post
So after using both, which one do you think is better for the buck? (Minus the wrarranty). Does the flash feel that more powerful than the SSTT or about the same.
Let's refresh your memory.
Does the flash feel that more powerful than the SSTT or about the same?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkNg335i View Post
go with sstt, 1/4 the cost almost the same power.
Which one do you think is better for the buck?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkNg335i View Post
Dinan know that the n54 engine was over engineer by BMW which can with stand a lot of boost, so they scare you with this warranty crap and charge you $1500 extra.
Did that help?
__________________
Bubbles is offline   Cayman Islands
0
Reply With Quote
      03-19-2008, 03:08 PM   #8
Wicked_SVT
Second Lieutenant
 
Wicked_SVT's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 335i
Join Date: May 2007
Location: San Diego

Posts: 203
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkdoc View Post
I got my 08 Step 335 coupe dinan flashed a few days ago at Dinan-Campbell here in the South Bay. Pretty much every review has been right on- decreased throttle sensitivity, more engine drone at cruise, and an overall smoothness that was lacking at stock levels. Instead of boring you with all that, heres the performance differences.

The SSTT was a nice little bump in power over stock that was trouble free. Part throttle response was improved and power in all gears was evident right away and more with further adaptation. Even the jerkiness at take off was less prominent with the turbo tuner. I added the BMC air filter and the car felt even better. On a 100 octane mix with our crappola 91 octane, I reeled off a 4.66 0-60, 10.9 0-100 and 13.09 at 109.4mph on my g-tech pro in sub 50 degree temps at a soft 1100 rpm launch and 1/4 tank of gas. Not bad.

Why upgrade the SSTT to Dinan? Simple. I would always have to fill up with 100 octane at my local 76 to really feel the turbo tuner come alive, torque and powerwise. It started to be pretty bank for me even tho fricken 91 here is almost 4 bucks. I also wanted more low and midrange torque that the Dinan dyno curves have been showing and a little more from 5-6k rpms.

Now to the Dinan: adaptation was pretty quick with a few wot pulls. Prior to the flash, I filled up with a full tank of 91 and stock air filter to see how that compared on the butt dyno to the SSTT with 100/91 mix. The torque from 3k to 6k is amazing and very addicting. This car now has a very linear power burst up the rev band. Highway pulls are more fuller from 4k to 6k and just ramps up without a let down. I cant wait to fill up on 100 octane next week and hopefully make some real passes at Infineon with a couple buddies- wish I could run at Sac tho. So for fun, last night I did a couple g-tech runs in 54 degree night. 0-60 in 4.39 0-100 in 10.2 and 1/4 mile---12.90 at 111.8mph just flooring it from a dead stop with no wheelspin. Then I turned around and immediately ran again but with a 1500 rpm launch. I got 4.61 and 13.05 at 109 with major chirpage of the tires. Maybe heat soak, definitely felt slower the second time. This was with the bmc filter on btw.

All in all, I am happy with the Dinan flash and am waiting for stage 2 since the power does drop after 6k. Both the sstt and dinan are great upgrades over stock. Different strokes for different folks..
Good review and comparison. Enjoy your new tune.
__________________
07 E92 335i Space Grey
Sport Package | Premium Package | Comfort Access| Black Dakota Leather | Grey Poplar | 6MT

2001 SVT Cobra Vortech Supercharged 450rwhp 408rwtq SAE SOLD
Wicked_SVT is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-19-2008, 03:11 PM   #9
sparkyg
Brigadier General
 
sparkyg's Avatar
 
Drives: EBII 2014 F31 328xi
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Oil Country

Posts: 3,493
iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbles View Post
Let's refresh your memory.
Does the flash feel that more powerful than the SSTT or about the same?


Which one do you think is better for the buck?


Did that help?

sparkyg is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      03-19-2008, 03:16 PM   #10
ybbiz34
Moderator
 
ybbiz34's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 C63 AMG Sedan
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: USA

Posts: 4,432
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbles View Post
Let's refresh your memory.
Does the flash feel that more powerful than the SSTT or about the same?


Which one do you think is better for the buck?


Did that help?
ybbiz34 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-19-2008, 03:37 PM   #11
funkdoc
Private First Class
 
funkdoc's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 335i Space Gray/Coral Red
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: San Jose

Posts: 134
iTrader: (0)

MargNg335, Since your'e in the bay, we can do a roll on run if that'll help you decide. To me, the SSTT was a nice stop gap, while the Dinan is a true tune of the ecu that does so much more than raise boost. So many parameters are re-mapped. If you've driven in a reflashed car-I had Ecutek with supporting mods on my previous WRX and my current LegacyGT daily driver, you can appreciate the flash.
funkdoc is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-19-2008, 03:50 PM   #12
BzzzBom
Major
 
Drives: 05 R53 MINI / 09 335i Coupe
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Los Angeles

Posts: 1,214
iTrader: (0)

A SSTT on a two year lease car costs approx. $150.00 ($600 - $450 resale) or about 20 cents per day. You can't beat that!
BzzzBom is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-19-2008, 03:54 PM   #13
jaaz
CArbon BlAck
 
jaaz's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 X5 35i SAV
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Miami, FL

Posts: 267
iTrader: (0)

Cue obligatory popcorn-eating smiley.
__________________
2011 X5 35i SAV Carbon Black M-Sport / Tech / Conv / CA / Twin Recaro Kid-Booster Seats
jaaz is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-19-2008, 04:02 PM   #14
Bubbles
Green Bastard
 
Bubbles's Avatar
 
Drives: ZCP-Powered
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Bishop Bend

Posts: 3,545
iTrader: (3)

Round 2

Let's try this again and start from the top.

Does the flash feel that more powerful than the SSTT or about the same?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkNg335i View Post
SSTT 40whp 50 wt not a big difference.
Which one do you think is better for the buck?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkNg335i View Post
It might be worth it to him,but to me it's a waste of money for such little gain(minus the baloney the warranty).
What about now, did that clear the fog?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkNg335i View Post
1. I'm asking someone that uses both product for his accurate opinion. something you'll never know because you're too busy sucking on Dinan cock and digging for old post.
So the use of "both" products provides an "accurate" opinion?
__________________
Bubbles is offline   Cayman Islands
0
Reply With Quote
      03-19-2008, 04:11 PM   #15
5soko
Brigadier General
 
5soko's Avatar
 
Drives: M5
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Brooklyn, NY

Posts: 4,208
iTrader: (4)

lets not turn this into a piss match. do a search or pm the op. i already got done talking with a mod about all this vs's arguments and they are really cracking down. for all your safetys
__________________
Current: ///M5 LCI with Evolve and RPi mods
Previous: E92 335i ||| FBO Heavy modded E90 LCI M-Sport 335i
5soko is offline   Montenegro
0
Reply With Quote
      03-19-2008, 04:28 PM   #16
sparkyg
Brigadier General
 
sparkyg's Avatar
 
Drives: EBII 2014 F31 328xi
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Oil Country

Posts: 3,493
iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5sokol335icoupe View Post
lets not turn this into a piss match. do a search or pm the op. i already got done talking with a mod about all this vs's arguments and they are really cracking down. for all your safetys
Seems simple, just keep it on topic. Too bad it is impossible with all the competing "fans".

This is nothing new, time will pass and as more people get their tune of choice I suspect there be less problems.
sparkyg is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      03-19-2008, 04:36 PM   #17
Bubbles
Green Bastard
 
Bubbles's Avatar
 
Drives: ZCP-Powered
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Bishop Bend

Posts: 3,545
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5sokol335icoupe View Post
lets not turn this into a piss match. do a search or pm the op. i already got done talking with a mod about all this vs's arguments and they are really cracking down. for all your safetys
Agreed, just trying to help a member who forgot his opinion on the subject.
__________________
Bubbles is offline   Cayman Islands
0
Reply With Quote
      03-19-2008, 04:50 PM   #18
mrwma237
Polytech Trooper
 
mrwma237's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 E92 335i
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: 310

Posts: 179
iTrader: (0)

ROFL.

the irony..
__________________
Drive w/ Passion Bucket!
mrwma237 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-19-2008, 05:08 PM   #19
stressdoc
Moderator
 
stressdoc's Avatar
 
Drives: 335 E90 ZSP+
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: MO

Posts: 9,829
iTrader: (0)

Please try and bend over backwards to be extra nice.
__________________
My not-so-recent ED: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31829
Quaife, BMW Perf & M3 suspension, V5, M-sport, ...
Please join BMWCCA http://bmwcca.org/index.php?pageid=c...&ref_by=300279
stressdoc is offline   Dominica
0
Reply With Quote
      03-19-2008, 05:15 PM   #20
Perpetrator
Lieutenant
 
Perpetrator's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 330i
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Fullerton, CA

Posts: 407
iTrader: (4)

Thanks for the input. I'm happy with the SSTT right now, but the Dinan flash keeps popping in my head. I know the numbers are fairly similar, so I was always wondering what "differences" I would actually see by plunking down the extra money. Great review.
Perpetrator is offline   South Korea
0
Reply With Quote
      03-19-2008, 05:44 PM   #21
funkdoc
Private First Class
 
funkdoc's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 335i Space Gray/Coral Red
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: San Jose

Posts: 134
iTrader: (0)

I really think that the SSTT owner and Dinan owner are very similar in that they want good, safe performance without having to get into the ecu and unplug wires. There are other options out there that will make more power. This post was designed to let people who are on the fence with the two know that the Dinan has better power under the curve and the driving feel of the two is substantially different. Saying that, I do miss the part throttle responsive that the turbo tuner offered.
funkdoc is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-03-2008, 02:34 PM   #22
GBX
Lieutenant
 
GBX's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 e92 335xi MB/SB
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: NYC

Posts: 443
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 e92 335xi  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to GBX
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkdoc View Post
more engine drone at cruise
more droning with dinan or without?
GBX is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:24 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST