Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

TireRack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > New Summers Need Advice

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

Wheel offset calculator courtesy of BimmerPost.com. You may use this calculator to calculate what tire sizes you might need if you upgrade your tires, or what wheel sizes/offsets are compatible with your car.
    Current Wheel Width  inches             Current Wheel Offset  mm.
         New Wheel Width  inches                  New Wheel Offset  mm.

TIRE WIDTH
/
ASPECT RATIO
- WHEEL DIAMETER
ORIGINAL TIRES
/
NEW TIRES
/
Based on your stock wheel setup, your new wheel will have:
Original Tires Diameter (in.)
      New Tires Diameter (in.)
  Difference in diameter (in.)
           Percent Difference %

Speedo @60mph will read: mph
Collapse/Expand the BimmerPost Wheel and Tire calculator

03-21-2008, 08:08 AM   #1
Bimmer Al
Lieutenant

Drives: 2010 335xi Coupe MSport, 6MT

New Summers Need Advice

Drive a 2006 325i Sport Package. I despise the OEM Bridgestones. Very uncomfortable ride....I love the look of the wider tires but do not like the RFT's, too harsh a ride. Any suggestions would be great. Bought my winter rims and Dunlops through tirerack and very much like that set up. Thinking of getting new shoes before taking the winters off.

Are there any RFT's that favour ride quality over performance? Or should I simply go for a set of non RFT's?

Thanks
Bimmer Al is offline   Canada
      03-21-2008, 08:24 AM   #2
jprieur
Private First Class

Drives: 2007 335i

I have a set of Michelin PS2 ZP (runflats) that will be installed sometime next week. They are the replacement to the Bridgestone RE050. I will let you know how they compare when they are installed. I am expecting a slight increase in ride, moderate increase in grip and a slight reduction in tread noise.

The Bridgestones never really bothered me with respect to the ride. The only real shortcomming I have found with these tires is wet traction. You must remember that 1) you drive a 3 series with the sport package so your suspension is less than forgiving and 2) low profile UHP summer tires are not designed for comfort. Sure some ride better than others, but these tires compromise comfort for ultimate grip and responsiveness

Right now I have the Goodyear Eagle F1 All Seasons on my car (just for the winter months) since there are no RFT avail in stock sizes. My car rode MUCH better, however, I lost a bit of steering responsiveness and on center feel. Of course I lost some traction, but this was to be expected going away from the softer UHP summer tread. Bottom line, my wife loves my car without the runflats (background my wife drives a volvo), I love my car with the runflats (background, this is my 2nd 3 series in 5 years).
      03-21-2008, 08:26 AM   #3
Bimmer Al
Lieutenant

Drives: 2010 335xi Coupe MSport, 6MT

Thanks I understand your point about the stiffer suspension with the Sport Package but it still seems the Bridgestones were too harsh. Especially now that I have experienced my winter Dunlops which are far better. I look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks
Bimmer Al is offline   Canada