Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

  E90Post
 


TireRack

   PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Install spacer to prevent rubbing on the car is NOT recommend



Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

Wheel offset calculator courtesy of BimmerPost.com. You may use this calculator to calculate what tire sizes you might need if you upgrade your tires, or what wheel sizes/offsets are compatible with your car.
    Current Wheel Width  inches             Current Wheel Offset  mm.
         New Wheel Width  inches                  New Wheel Offset  mm.
 
TIRE WIDTH
/
ASPECT RATIO
- WHEEL DIAMETER
ORIGINAL TIRES
/
NEW TIRES
/
Based on your stock wheel setup, your new wheel will have:
Original Tires Diameter (in.)
      New Tires Diameter (in.)
  Difference in diameter (in.)
           Percent Difference %
                     
Speedo @60mph will read: mph
Collapse/Expand the BimmerPost Wheel and Tire calculator
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      03-22-2008, 01:44 AM   #1
LACA335i
Lieutenant Colonel
 
LACA335i's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 335i coupe Black AUTO
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Alhambra, CA

Posts: 1,517
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2007 335I SEDAN  [0.00]
Install spacer to prevent rubbing on the car is NOT recommend

I have discussed couple elite Intructors at BMW Trainning facility. I also called for serveral Dealership to comfirm the intructor comment. I also go throught another source to make sure everything is correct.

Here is my question for them.

I asked out of curiousity. would you recommend to install spacer on the BMW car so the rim would not rub.

1st. BMW Instructor told me this. He would not recommend to install spacer. Due to BMW Wheel is HUB centric. Adding Spacer on the the HUB is very dangerous because what if your spacer is damage and break apart. the car spind like crazy. It will loose control of it. ABS will be in Default mode, DSC will not function. The Servomotor on the Rack and Pinion will not working. Your Echo Valve is not function. Your lock pin on the rack and pinion will lock. suspension system will be shiften. You will hit something. Your car will be total lost.

I also ask the same question to Foreman at New Centery BMW. He said similiar thing. However, he told me it would look cool but BMW would NOT recommend due to safety hazard. For aftermarket company they just want to make extra money off from you. Since BMW 335i aftermarket parts is very hot right now. Million and Million will make from this car for aftermarket companies

I got a reply from PUMA

this is what they said. According to BMW Engineering, They would not recommend any aftermarket addition to the Suspension is not recommend. Addition concern regarding to spacer, we recommend purchase new OEM spec Wheel. OEM wheel is part of the Collision protection system for the vehicle.

After this thread, i know alot of aftermarket company will hate me for it.
I rather be safe than sorry.
__________________
LACA335i is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-22-2008, 02:02 AM   #2
wj4
Major General
 
Drives: E90 manual 335i
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Burbank, CA

Posts: 7,723
iTrader: (8)

Send a message via AIM to wj4
Quote:
Originally Posted by LACA335i View Post
I have discussed couple elite Intructors at BMW Trainning facility. I also called for serveral Dealership to comfirm the intructor comment. I also go throught another source to make sure everything is correct.

Here is my question for them.

I asked out of curiousity. would you recommend to install spacer on the BMW car so the rim would not rub.

1st. BMW Instructor told me this. He would not recommend to install spacer. Due to BMW Wheel is HUB centric. Adding Spacer on the the HUB is very dangerous because what if your spacer is damage and break apart. the car spind like crazy. It will loose control of it. ABS will be in Default mode, DSC will not function. The Servomotor on the Rack and Pinion will not working. Your Echo Valve is not function. Your lock pin on the rack and pinion will lock. suspension system will be shiften. You will hit something. Your car will be total lost.

I also ask the same question to Foreman at New Centery BMW. He said similiar thing. However, he told me it would look cool but BMW would NOT recommend due to safety hazard. For aftermarket company they just want to make extra money off from you. Since BMW 335i aftermarket parts is very hot right now. Million and Million will make from this car for aftermarket companies

I got a reply from PUMA

this is what they said. According to BMW Engineering, They would not recommend any aftermarket addition to the Suspension is not recommend. Addition concern regarding to spacer, we recommend purchase new OEM spec Wheel. OEM wheel is part of the Collision protection system for the vehicle.

After this thread, i know alot of aftermarket company will hate me for it.
I rather be safe than sorry.
LOL of course they will say that. They have to say this so they won't have any liability...

And about your topic title..I don't understand why you would put on spacers to 'avoid rubbing'? If anything you will NOT rub if you DON'T use spacers at all. Spacers are just used for a more flush and aggressive stance.
wj4 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-22-2008, 02:32 AM   #3
nagge
Swedish user
 
nagge's Avatar
 
Drives: 06' E90 330dA
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Sweden

Posts: 267
iTrader: (0)

Dont ever fully trust anything any BMW-employee tells you, they are full of it.
Of course you can use spacers if you rub on the INSIDE. But make sure they are hubcentric.
__________________
E90 330dA | SG | Remapped | Blacklines | Matte black kidney grill | M3 Steering wheel | ‹mnitza Predator ICE LED Angel eyes | 18" M5 reps | ESS Tuning
nagge is offline   Sweden
0
Reply With Quote
      03-22-2008, 02:34 AM   #4
LACA335i
Lieutenant Colonel
 
LACA335i's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 335i coupe Black AUTO
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Alhambra, CA

Posts: 1,517
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2007 335I SEDAN  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by wj4 View Post
LOL of course they will say that. They have to say this so they won't have any liability...

And about your topic title..I don't understand why you would put on spacers to 'avoid rubbing'? If anything you will NOT rub if you DON'T use spacers at all. Spacers are just used for a more flush and aggressive stance.
well all i know is this. some wheel so called fit on bmw. They are not always fit correctly. You need spacer to move it out a little bit. It would not rub when you cornering. I can be wrong on that one. Why would you say they try to avoid any liablity issue? are you familiar with the ARS System . Rack and pinion with the Servomotor , Eco valve, and Lock key Double Pivot suspension in front of the car. and HA 5 on the rear suspension on the 335i?
__________________

Last edited by LACA335i; 03-22-2008 at 02:58 AM.
LACA335i is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-22-2008, 02:52 AM   #5
LACA335i
Lieutenant Colonel
 
LACA335i's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 335i coupe Black AUTO
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Alhambra, CA

Posts: 1,517
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2007 335I SEDAN  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nagge View Post
Dont ever fully trust anything any BMW-employee tells you, they are full of it.
Of course you can use spacers if you rub on the INSIDE. But make sure they are hubcentric.
i do understand what you are trying to telling me. However, from tech point of view and opinion. They have see many issues at the dealership.I almost about to complete the BMW training, i get certification from BMW as level 3 tech. I do understand how their system work. On the other hand, I am like yourself does not trust any BMW Mechanic word. If you cant trust mechanic at the BMW dealership; why would you buy bmw and bring the car for us to do warranty service. if you have other issue with your car, why would you bring your car to the dealership and fix it unless it is under warranty. If you dont trust any bmw employee or mechanic, would you trust your mom and pop shop? do you think they will have OEM diagnosis equipement to diagnosis your car. Just look at your Generic OBD II, how many pins do you see on that connector vs BMW Diagnosis Head on the GT1 with 16 pin OBD II connector.

I do understand, there are many SO CALL BMW Mechanic out there work for BMW or not, They dont know much in deep about the car technology. They are just a Wrench MOnkey. WHy would BMW company sent out their technican like 2 to 3 times per year to learn or update their skill.

i would like to disagree with them on the Spacer issue. However after finishing up the course "STO56 Body Chasis Dymanic COurse." and certify from it. everything you do to the BMW, it will affect alot of stuffs on the System.

For example, a simple drop with HR sport spring. I have dtc from GT1(doing a short test), it said, DSC default, DTC code. my EMS system have a default. However, i have no CEL on my intrument cluster. If i have an CEL (the dtc code) , i would have a special code on Generic OBD II. However, it does not have any default code
__________________
LACA335i is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-22-2008, 02:59 AM   #6
nagge
Swedish user
 
nagge's Avatar
 
Drives: 06' E90 330dA
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Sweden

Posts: 267
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LACA335i View Post
i do understand what you are trying to telling me. However, from tech point of view and opinion. They have see many issues at the dealership.I almost about to complete the BMW training, i get certification from BMW as level 3 tech. I do understand how their system work. On the other hand, I am like yourself does not trust any BMW Mechanic word. If you cant trust mechanic at the BMW dealership; why would you buy bmw and bring the car for us to do warranty service. if you have other issue with your car, why would you bring your car to the dealership and fix it unless it is under warranty. If you dont trust any bmw employee or mechanic, would you trust your mom and pop shop?
I dont trust anyone with my car, not a single person. That being said I do take it to BMW for service and warranty jobs if it isnt something I can easily fix myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LACA335i View Post
I wish i would disagree with them on the Spacer issue. However after finishing up the course "STO56 Body Chasis Dymanic COurse." and certify from it. everything you do to the BMW, it will affect alot of stuffs on the System.

For example, a simple drop with HR sport spring. I have dtc from GT1, it said, DSC default, DTC code. my EMS system have a default. However, i have no CEL on my intrument cluster. If i have an CEL (the dtc code) , i would have a special code on Generic OBD II. However, it does not have any default code
See a spacer isnt something that will affect the systems on your car, no more then a wheel with a different offset.
__________________
E90 330dA | SG | Remapped | Blacklines | Matte black kidney grill | M3 Steering wheel | ‹mnitza Predator ICE LED Angel eyes | 18" M5 reps | ESS Tuning
nagge is offline   Sweden
0
Reply With Quote
      03-22-2008, 03:08 AM   #7
LACA335i
Lieutenant Colonel
 
LACA335i's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 335i coupe Black AUTO
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Alhambra, CA

Posts: 1,517
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2007 335I SEDAN  [0.00]
[quote=nagge;2346291]I dont trust anyone with my car, not a single person. That being said I do take it to BMW for service and warranty jobs if it isnt something I can easily fix myself.

what is your definition of easy to fix?everything on the BMW car are likely to link to each other. So tell me which part of the car you would considering easy to fix or replace? Tire and rime replace?

when you are replace or upgrade the rim, you need to do pre-measure on the ride heigh, and than you input into "HUNTER" wheel Aligement. If necessary, you need to adjust camber or toe. Caster Is not adjustable on majority of the bmw car.
Then you need to reset and reprogram the DSC,ABS, other module. for the correct ride height. Otherwise, you will have DTC code on the GT1. You will not see it on your Generic OBD II. Since it is only 8 pins connector.

Even with the Camber adjustment. BMW have a special tool for that. It only allow you to move about .5 to 1 degree.
when you adjust the toe, you need to tight it with their OEM Torque Spec.

do you think you have all at from your house?
__________________
LACA335i is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-22-2008, 03:13 AM   #8
nagge
Swedish user
 
nagge's Avatar
 
Drives: 06' E90 330dA
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Sweden

Posts: 267
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LACA335i View Post
what is your definition of easy to fix?
Something easy to fix is something I am capable of doing, being I might have to do some research. Letting someone else (i.e. BMW) touch the car is a last resort.
__________________
E90 330dA | SG | Remapped | Blacklines | Matte black kidney grill | M3 Steering wheel | ‹mnitza Predator ICE LED Angel eyes | 18" M5 reps | ESS Tuning
nagge is offline   Sweden
0
Reply With Quote
      03-22-2008, 03:17 AM   #9
VMRWheels
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
VMRWheels's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Anaheim, CA

Posts: 12,815
iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2014 BMW F22  [0.00]
2013 BMW F06  [0.00]
2013 BMW F30  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nagge View Post
See a spacer isnt something that will affect the systems on your car, no more then a wheel with a different offset.
I don't think he means installing a spacer will affect the systems in your car. I'm pretty sure the OP is saying in the case of spacer failure, there will be catastrophic consequences...
__________________

VMR | Wheels - Mitch A. | 714-442-7916 extension 107 | e. Mitch@velocitymotoring.com
VMRWheels is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-22-2008, 03:20 AM   #10
nagge
Swedish user
 
nagge's Avatar
 
Drives: 06' E90 330dA
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Sweden

Posts: 267
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VMRWheels View Post
I don't think he means installing a spacer will affect the systems in your car. I'm pretty sure the OP is saying in the case of spacer failure, there will be catastrophic consequences...
Quote:
Originally Posted by LACA335i View Post
However after finishing up the course "STO56 Body Chasis Dymanic COurse." and certify from it. everything you do to the BMW, it will affect alot of stuffs on the System.
I'm not arguing the fact that a failure will have catastrophic consequences, all I'm saying is a spacer wont affect any systems of your car, no more then a wheel with a more agressive offset will.
__________________
E90 330dA | SG | Remapped | Blacklines | Matte black kidney grill | M3 Steering wheel | ‹mnitza Predator ICE LED Angel eyes | 18" M5 reps | ESS Tuning
nagge is offline   Sweden
0
Reply With Quote
      03-22-2008, 03:26 AM   #11
LACA335i
Lieutenant Colonel
 
LACA335i's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 335i coupe Black AUTO
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Alhambra, CA

Posts: 1,517
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2007 335I SEDAN  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nagge View Post
I'm not arguing the fact that a failure will have catastrophic consequences, all I'm saying is a spacer wont affect any systems of your car, no more then a wheel with a more agressive offset will.
i agreed with u. however, incase it do break apart from the car due to bend or poor made material. I know alot of people do drive hard and aggressively, I am concern on their safety if they do have spacer on. It can kill u when your tire is loose, now you are driving on 3 tires on the car. it will keep spinning until it hit something .
__________________
LACA335i is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-22-2008, 03:28 AM   #12
nagge
Swedish user
 
nagge's Avatar
 
Drives: 06' E90 330dA
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Sweden

Posts: 267
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LACA335i View Post
Then you need to reset and reprogram the DSC,ABS, other module. for the correct ride height. Otherwise, you will have DTC code on the GT1. You will not see it on your Generic OBD II. Since it is only 8 pins connector.

Even with the Camber adjustment. BMW have a special tool for that. It only allow you to move about .5 to 1 degree.
when you adjust the toe, you need to tight it with their OEM Torque Spec.

do you think you have all at from your house?
Damn these edits

Ride height? I dont alter my ride height when I change my wheels, if you do you obviously have the wrong dimensions.

So if I interpret you correctly, I have to go into BMW and have them adjust my toe, camber and DSC/ABS-module if I change my tires?
__________________
E90 330dA | SG | Remapped | Blacklines | Matte black kidney grill | M3 Steering wheel | ‹mnitza Predator ICE LED Angel eyes | 18" M5 reps | ESS Tuning
nagge is offline   Sweden
0
Reply With Quote
      03-22-2008, 03:30 AM   #13
nagge
Swedish user
 
nagge's Avatar
 
Drives: 06' E90 330dA
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Sweden

Posts: 267
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LACA335i View Post
i agreed with u. however, incase it do break apart from the car due to bend or poor made material. I know alot of people do drive hard and aggressively, I am concern on their safety if they do have spacer on. It can kill u when your tire is loose, now you are driving 3 tires on the car. it will keep spinning until it hit something .
Yes I agree, a poorly made spacer is very dangerous. But that doesnt mean all spacers are bad. A properly made spacer with proper length bolts torqued to the correct value (120Nm) is not unsafe.
__________________
E90 330dA | SG | Remapped | Blacklines | Matte black kidney grill | M3 Steering wheel | ‹mnitza Predator ICE LED Angel eyes | 18" M5 reps | ESS Tuning
nagge is offline   Sweden
0
Reply With Quote
      03-22-2008, 03:45 AM   #14
LACA335i
Lieutenant Colonel
 
LACA335i's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 335i coupe Black AUTO
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Alhambra, CA

Posts: 1,517
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2007 335I SEDAN  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nagge View Post
Damn these edits

Ride height? I dont alter my ride height when I change my wheels, if you do you obviously have the wrong dimensions.

So if I interpret you correctly, I have to go into BMW and have them adjust my toe, camber and DSC/ABS-module if I change my tires?
Improper mounting and installation none other than BMW, your change having imbalance aligement on the tire is good.

Everytime you go to tire shop, they recommend you to also do aligement . Yes they are trying to make extra money. However this is the only way they insured you wont come back for remounting the tire or free tire cause it is bad. . This mean free service.

if PUMA require us to do it. we will do it. Anything would considering safety factor for BMW. We are advised to take thing serious on that.

Ride height? I dont alter my ride height when I change my wheels, if you do you obviously have the wrong dimensions.

yes you would change your ride height when you changing either side of the wheel or your tire dimensional.

Ride height define as like this. from the bottom of the rim ( not the tire) to the fender.

if you have stock 225/40/17 inches rims and wheel, your ride heigh is 650 mm.

Now you just change dimension to 245/35/17 tires, your ride heigh is 680 mm.

do you see the different. YOu will not know it until you measure it.

By changing just the tire itself, you just change the ride height. However the ABS and DSC system recaculate for u for smooth ride and reduce tire wear fast.

However, if you are out of the boundery of the spec. you will have extensive tire wear. When you have extensive tire wear. it could reflex on either your camber or toe. it is also depend on the wear mark. Now we need to adjust the toe or camber to spec so you wont have too much tire wear. we always recommend a wheel aligement. this way we can avoid come back. IF you say no to our recommend on the aligement, your tire is bad before xxx miles. We dont have to honor your request for refund. Basically screw you..

According to law, you may get fine or ticket if an offical wish to inspection your tire wear for safety reason.

On your tire, it is a federal law for a manufactor to have a wear indicator on the tire. if your thread line is flat with the wear indicator. it would be considering tire is ball. Safety harrass.
__________________
LACA335i is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-22-2008, 04:56 AM   #15
nagge
Swedish user
 
nagge's Avatar
 
Drives: 06' E90 330dA
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Sweden

Posts: 267
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LACA335i View Post
Improper mounting and installation none other than BMW, your change having imbalance aligement on the tire is good.
Im sorry I dont understand what you are saying?
Do you mean if I dont let BMW change my tires I will have inbalanced tires?


Quote:
Originally Posted by LACA335i View Post
yes you would change your ride height when you changing either side of the wheel or your tire dimensional.
No I wouldnt, not anymore than a worn tire would have changed it. If you do change it you have the wrong dimensions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LACA335i View Post
Ride height define as like this. from the bottom of the rim ( not the tire) to the fender.

if you have stock 225/40/17 inches rims and wheel, your ride heigh is 650 mm.

Now you just change dimension to 245/35/17 tires, your ride heigh is 680 mm.

do you see the different. YOu will not know it until you measure it.
You are incorrect.
You say that ride height is measured from the bottom of the rim (which makes no sense), how come the ride height differs in your example when you change only the tires?

Further more if I change from 225/40-17 to 245/35-17 I only change the ride height with 4,25mm (measured from the ground to the fender which is what is interesting). This is perfectly normal and is well within what a worn down tire would differ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LACA335i View Post
By changing just the tire itself, you just change the ride height. However the ABS and DSC system recaculate for u for smooth ride and reduce tire wear fast.
I dont get all this talk about ride height? You try to keep the diameter of the new wheel as close to the stock ones as possible. A difference of 1-3% in diameter is something all systems (ABS, DSC etc.) are very capable of handling.
__________________
E90 330dA | SG | Remapped | Blacklines | Matte black kidney grill | M3 Steering wheel | ‹mnitza Predator ICE LED Angel eyes | 18" M5 reps | ESS Tuning
nagge is offline   Sweden
0
Reply With Quote
      03-22-2008, 10:40 AM   #16
LACA335i
Lieutenant Colonel
 
LACA335i's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 335i coupe Black AUTO
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Alhambra, CA

Posts: 1,517
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2007 335I SEDAN  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nagge View Post
Im sorry I dont understand what you are saying?
Do you mean if I dont let BMW change my tires I will have inbalanced tires?




No I wouldnt, not anymore than a worn tire would have changed it. If you do change it you have the wrong dimensions.



You are incorrect.
You say that ride height is measured from the bottom of the rim (which makes no sense), how come the ride height differs in your example when you change only the tires?

Further more if I change from 225/40-17 to 245/35-17 I only change the ride height with 4,25mm (measured from the ground to the fender which is what is interesting). This is perfectly normal and is well within what a worn down tire would differ.



I dont get all this talk about ride height? You try to keep the diameter of the new wheel as close to the stock ones as possible. A difference of 1-3% in diameter is something all systems (ABS, DSC etc.) are very capable of handling.
Im sorry I dont understand what you are saying?
Do you mean if I dont let BMW change my tires I will have inbalanced tires?

all im saying when we do a warranty and maintance at the dealership. if we check the suspension, we notice there is a change and the tire is wear out too quickly. We have to note it and record it to the bmw for warranty conflict. we have to recomend you the driver should get aligement adjust.

"You say that ride height is measured from the bottom of the rim (which makes no sense), how come the ride height differs in your example when you change only the tires?

Further more if I change from 225/40-17 to 245/35-17 I only change the ride height with 4,25mm (measured from the ground to the fender which is what is interesting). This is perfectly normal and is well within what a worn down tire would differ."

btw that was an example. the actual number is not correct to what i give u.

here i will copy and paste directly from the bmw stuff




Ride Height
When measuring ride height, measure from the lower edge of the wheel rim (not from bottom of the ground and NOT bottom of the tire to the ground either) to the lower
edge of the wheel opening. (aka tip of the Fender) Use a metric tape measure with divisions of 1 mm.
Ride Height Measurement
When performing alignments on BMW vehicle, the ride height must be set and checked
before proceeding with any measurement or adjustments. Ride height is measured from
the lower edge of the wheel rim to the lower edge of the wheel housing. Ride height specifications
are in millimeters. The specifications can be found in Technical Data. The front
axle ride height is in Group 31 and the rear axle ride height is in Group 33. In order to obtain
the correct specification, the vehicle and suspension type must be identified.
Ride height specifications depend upon rim size (15”, 16 “, 17 “ etc.), engine size and the
type of suspension. There are 4 different types of suspension packages:
• Series - Standard production vehicle
• Low Slung Sports Suspension - This is used on vehicle with Sports Package Option.
• Rough Road Package - For Eastern European Rough roads. Not used in US.
• M Sports Package - Used on Motorsport vehicles or those with M Package Option.
The example shown below is the ride height specifications for an E39 540i (Front Axle).
Series
15” Rim mm +/- 10 579
16” Rim mm +/- 10 592
17” Rim mm +/- 10 607
18” Rim mm +/- 10 620
Low Slung Sports Suspension
15” Rim mm 559
16” Rim mm 572
17” Rim mm 587
18” Rim mm 600
Rough Road Package
15” Rim mm +/- 10 599
16” Rim mm +/- 10 612
17” Rim mm +/- 10 627
18” Rim mm +/- 10 640
M Sports Package
15” Rim mm +/- 10 562
16” Rim mm +/- 10 575
17” Rim mm +/- 10 590
18” Rim mm +/- 10 603
__________________
LACA335i is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-22-2008, 10:44 AM   #17
LACA335i
Lieutenant Colonel
 
LACA335i's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 335i coupe Black AUTO
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Alhambra, CA

Posts: 1,517
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2007 335I SEDAN  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by VMRWheels View Post
I don't think he means installing a spacer will affect the systems in your car. I'm pretty sure the OP is saying in the case of spacer failure, there will be catastrophic consequences...
that is correct sir. may i have another of your wisdom. jk.. hello there
__________________
LACA335i is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-23-2008, 11:57 AM   #18
nagge
Swedish user
 
nagge's Avatar
 
Drives: 06' E90 330dA
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Sweden

Posts: 267
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LACA335i View Post
Ride Height
When measuring ride height, measure from the lower edge of the wheel rim (not from bottom of the ground and NOT bottom of the tire to the ground either) to the lower
edge of the wheel opening. (aka tip of the Fender) Use a metric tape measure with divisions of 1 mm.
Ride Height Measurement
When performing alignments on BMW vehicle, the ride height must be set and checked
before proceeding with any measurement or adjustments. Ride height is measured from
the lower edge of the wheel rim to the lower edge of the wheel housing. Ride height specifications
are in millimeters. The specifications can be found in Technical Data. The front
axle ride height is in Group 31 and the rear axle ride height is in Group 33. In order to obtain
the correct specification, the vehicle and suspension type must be identified.
Ride height specifications depend upon rim size (15”, 16 “, 17 “ etc.), engine size and the
type of suspension. There are 4 different types of suspension packages:
• Series - Standard production vehicle
• Low Slung Sports Suspension - This is used on vehicle with Sports Package Option.
• Rough Road Package - For Eastern European Rough roads. Not used in US.
• M Sports Package - Used on Motorsport vehicles or those with M Package Option.
The example shown below is the ride height specifications for an E39 540i (Front Axle).
Series
15” Rim mm +/- 10 579
16” Rim mm +/- 10 592
17” Rim mm +/- 10 607
18” Rim mm +/- 10 620
Low Slung Sports Suspension
15” Rim mm 559
16” Rim mm 572
17” Rim mm 587
18” Rim mm 600
Rough Road Package
15” Rim mm +/- 10 599
16” Rim mm +/- 10 612
17” Rim mm +/- 10 627
18” Rim mm +/- 10 640
M Sports Package
15” Rim mm +/- 10 562
16” Rim mm +/- 10 575
17” Rim mm +/- 10 590
18” Rim mm +/- 10 603

Very impressive copy/paste but do you really know what it says?

I would be very impressed if someone managed to get two different 18" wheels to measure differently from the bottom of the rim to the fender. If you think about it it's simply impossible.
All of the above you pasted is to determine the right ride height for each suspension sort, it has nothing to do with changing tires, because it doesnt even take the tire dimensions into consideration.

However this has gone far off topic, lets just sum it up:
BMW (you) doesnt think spacers are a good idea. Yet thousands of people use them without problems.
Obviously a faulty or poorly made spacer comes with the risk of breaking, that doesnt need pointing out.

However there is nothing dangerous about using a properly made hubcentric spacer. Your talk about aftermarket wheels and tires doesnt really make any sense other than you working for BMW.
__________________
E90 330dA | SG | Remapped | Blacklines | Matte black kidney grill | M3 Steering wheel | ‹mnitza Predator ICE LED Angel eyes | 18" M5 reps | ESS Tuning
nagge is offline   Sweden
0
Reply With Quote
      03-23-2008, 12:23 PM   #19
LACA335i
Lieutenant Colonel
 
LACA335i's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 335i coupe Black AUTO
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Alhambra, CA

Posts: 1,517
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2007 335I SEDAN  [0.00]
this is BMW ALigement procedure. (EVerything is calculating into pre aligement that include ride heigh and tire, bend parts on the suspension)

Alignment Procedures
The following procedure is an outline to follow based on BMW procedures. The actual
alignment procedures will vary depending upon the alignment equipment being used. Refer
to the alignment equipment manufacturers procedures for specific information. The steps
listed below should be followed as closely as possible to perform a quality alignment.
• Vehicle Inspection - The vehicle inspection should include a road test before and
after the alignment. Note any concerns during the pre-alignment road test and verify
that the concern has been rectified during the post-alignment road test.
• Install Specified Weight - Check Group 32 Technical Data in TIS to determine the
“Normal Position/ Inspection Conditions”. Install Specified weight in vehicle and
compensate for fuel by adding extra weight if needed.
• Install Alignment Sensors - Install alignment sensors as per the alignment equipment
manufacturers recommended procedures.
• Compensate Sensors - Depending upon the alignment sensors being used, compensation
may not be necessary. Compensation may require the vehicle to be lifted
from the alignment rack. If so, be sure to remove the pins from the front and rear
slip plates. If the sensors do not need to be compensated, the next step can be
ignored.
• Lower Vehicle and Jounce - Make sure the pins are removed from the slip plates.
Lower the vehicle back onto the alignment rack and jounce the vehicle. This will
insure that the suspension has settled.
• Check Ride Height - Check ride height using metric tape measure. Ride height
specifications can be found in Technical Data in TIS. Front ride height specs can be
found under group 31 and rear can be found under group 33. Always check ride
height after compensating the sensors. This will avoid having to check the ride
height twice.
• Perform Alignment - There and various types of alignment equipment used in
BMW workshops. Refer to the equipment manufacturers instructions for the next
steps of the alignment.
When performing an alignment of a vehicle equipped with air suspension (EHC), disable the
system by removing the fuse for the air supply system. This will insure that the ride height
will stay consistent.
29
Suspension Systems
Vehicle Inspection
Before attempting to align any vehicle, it is important to inspect the vehicle completely to
insure there are no damaged or loose suspension components. Regardless of the age or
mileage of the vehicle, a complete inspection should be performed. The following items
should be checked thoroughly:
• Tires and Wheels - Check tires for wear patterns that could indicate suspension
problems. Make sure the tires are the correct size and type. Check for the correct
inflation pressures. Look for wheel/rim damage which could indicate impact damage.
• Wheel bearings - Check to make sure there is no excessive wheel bearing play.
This needs to be addressed for safety reasons, but loose wheel bearings will affect
the quality of the alignment as well.
• Steering Linkage- Check the tie rods, center link, idler arm and pitman arm. On
vehicles with rack and pinion steering, check for loose inner/outer tie rods etc.
On vehicles with a center link, make sure the center link is level (see BMW TIS Repair
Instructions). Check flexible coupling between steering shaft and rack and pinion
assembly (or steering box).
• Suspension Components - Check Struts/Shocks for leakage or damage. Check
springs and perform ride height measurements.
• Subframe - Check the front and rear axle carriers. Look for bent/twisted sub
frames. Check the crossmembers for evidence of shifting or displacement. Check
the mounting bolts for “clean spots” which could indicate shifting or movement.
• Brakes - Check braking system by road testing the vehicle. A road test could help
to identify brake related issues such as pulling or brake induced vibrations.
• Drivetrain - While road testing the vehicle, observe and vibrations and/or noises
and try to isolate the cause. Noises and vibrations under acceleration (rather than
coasting) may be an indication of drivetrain issues.
Road Testing
Whenever possible,
__________________

Last edited by LACA335i; 03-23-2008 at 12:45 PM.
LACA335i is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-23-2008, 12:46 PM   #20
nagge
Swedish user
 
nagge's Avatar
 
Drives: 06' E90 330dA
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Sweden

Posts: 267
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LACA335i View Post
all im saying when you changing just a simple tire size beside oem stock. it will affect alot of sensor. However, DSC will adjust the different size of tire with their range of spec for smooth ride and safety. Everything u change in BMW Car will link to other issue. If you dont correct the issue at it early stage, you can have serious damage to the suspension system later on.
Are you really telling me that changing from 255/35-18 to 265/35-18 will cause "serious damage to the suspension system"?

Of course the DSC and ABS will adjust to the new size, so what is the issue you are talking about? What will happen if I change my tire size by 1-3% (which is to be considered normal)? Let's say you are correct, by driving on a tire which has lost 10mm in diameter (5mm loss of thread depth) I will cause serious damage to my suspension? Please clarify.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LACA335i View Post
Yes i do know what it say man. I am going work for BMW dealership as Level 3 tech. I better know cause if i dont i cant work for them duh.


The reason why i copy and paste to show you how bmw measure ride heigh incase u doubt my knowledge.. By the way, I have access to BMWcenternet
cause i am BMW tech.
Well if you know what it says you also know it's of no value to this thread what so ever. Other than to clarify your conception of ride height which doesnt have anything to do with this thread either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LACA335i View Post
Well the reason i bought it up about the change like tire size cause it relate to suspension safety issue. (dude it was just an example)
What safety issue? There is a safety issue when changing tire dimensions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LACA335i View Post
Having spacer is very dangerous and safety hazardous to other people on the road and your life.
Could you please explain in what way it is dangerous? Besides it breaking, since properly made spacers doesnt break. Everything thats poorly made is dangerous, we all know that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LACA335i View Post
Comment: Rule of thumb, you never have 2 different tire dimension on your car.

Please re-read my post, unless you misinterpret on purpose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LACA335i View Post
Comment: copy and paste from BMWcenternet trainning manual section on body Chasis dymanic to show you how they measure the ride heigh. This is exactly what im saying to you in the first place. YOU said ride heigh is measure from tire to the ground . From the ground to the fender, it is how you measure the ride heigh . Well it is not correct ride heigh measurement. I just proved that your statement is not correctly.

For other size rims and tire listed on the chart, it is different package and suspension on different car setup
That is their conception of ride height. So the height of their ride isnt affected by tire size? If i change from 225/45-17 to 225/80-17 my ride height isnt affected by their interpretation? The height of my ride hasnt changed?
__________________
E90 330dA | SG | Remapped | Blacklines | Matte black kidney grill | M3 Steering wheel | ‹mnitza Predator ICE LED Angel eyes | 18" M5 reps | ESS Tuning
nagge is offline   Sweden
0
Reply With Quote
      03-23-2008, 12:48 PM   #21
nagge
Swedish user
 
nagge's Avatar
 
Drives: 06' E90 330dA
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Sweden

Posts: 267
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LACA335i View Post
copy&paste


What are you trying to explain with that text?
It has nothing to do with this thread.

And please stop deleting your posts when I'm replying.
__________________
E90 330dA | SG | Remapped | Blacklines | Matte black kidney grill | M3 Steering wheel | ‹mnitza Predator ICE LED Angel eyes | 18" M5 reps | ESS Tuning
nagge is offline   Sweden
0
Reply With Quote
      03-23-2008, 12:53 PM   #22
Digital.James
Colonel
 
Digital.James's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: NC

Posts: 2,609
iTrader: (7)

spacers are consumables, you have to replace them regularly.
Digital.James is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:04 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST