E90Post

PYSPEED

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > DA polisher rental wanted

09-15-2014, 05:53 AM   #1
R335 - b2b

Drives: 335i

DA polisher rental wanted

Hi all,

just wondering if anyone had a da polisher they wouldn't mind renting out to me?Will be happy to provide some beer tokens, and to get the pads/polish myself.

I know i'll be buying in the future, but right now i desperately want to sort the paintwork, and would be great to test a machine to see how we get along before buying one.

Im down in south east london (bromley / croydon area), if any one local can help out please get in touch!!
      09-15-2014, 04:53 PM   #2
dest
Captain

Drives: 330d Msport Touring

They hold their money well enough, Id just buy one and if you dont like it you will be able to sell it pretty easily
dest is offline   United Kingdom
      09-16-2014, 04:27 PM   #3
R335 - b2b

Quote:
Originally Posted by dest View Post
They hold their money well enough, Id just buy one and if you dont like it you will be able to sell it pretty easily
I do get the feeling that it would be best to buy... i have three family cars that need doing at some point, so it does make sense. I just don't want to buy one that isn't quite right..

It would be my first time detailing with a da, but i hear they make it harder to mess up than a rotary would? - I've clay barred and polished by hand before, so not to worried but want to make the best of it!

Have been looking at a few combo deals online, with the da, pads and polish, mostly around 170-200 pounds... any recommendations on make n model?

Other options is to spend a bit more and get a plasti dip spray kit and change the colour too! but that means one funky car, and two covered with swirls

quick pic of my e46 on its shiniest day, and the a3. shiny shiny shiny
Attached Images

09-16-2014, 04:50 PM   #4
kev335i
Private First Class

Drives: E93 335i M-Sport

I use meguires g220 v2 da. Not the best in the world but perfectly good enough for my personal needs. I have had some excellent results with it and some that I feel could have gone better. However that is probably down to products used, pads & knowledge.
I want to get a rotary and some practice panels at some point but for now I'm happy with the da.
      09-16-2014, 04:54 PM   #5
dest
Captain

You'd have to be a total idiot to cause any damage with a DA, however, you can make an arse of it by not working the polish correctly and end up with holograms or pigtails etc.
The best thing is to get one and give it a go, holograms and stuff like that can be sorted and is pretty much part of the learning process.
If you're that concerned get yourself a small panel from a scrap yard to practice on first

I'm confident with a DA and done plenty of cars with excellent results, and thought I'd like to move to a rotary just to speed the job up a bit (you need to be very patient if you want to do an entire car correctly with a DA!) but didn't get on with the rotary at all.
I could use it well enough, I just prefered using the DA.

I picked up a 2nd hand Porter Cable one from Detailing World forum about 6 years ago and its still going strong
      09-17-2014, 03:40 AM   #6
wallsmk2
Second Lieutenant

Drives: e91 325i

a minor hijack. Dest, did I see your car parked near abington park on Sunday? Just up visiting family. Red e91s stand out so was curious.
      09-17-2014, 03:51 AM   #7
Josh1a1h
Brigadier General

Drives: AzuriteBlack 335i E92

Das 6 Pro is gd, powerful for our jobs and affordable.
Josh1a1h is offline   United Kingdom
      09-17-2014, 04:31 AM   #8
Yoro35i
TROll

Drives: E92 335I M

Quote:
Originally Posted by dest View Post
You'd have to be a total idiot to cause any damage with a DA, however, you can make an arse of it by not working the polish correctly and end up with holograms or pigtails etc.
The best thing is to get one and give it a go, holograms and stuff like that can be sorted and is pretty much part of the learning process.
If you're that concerned get yourself a small panel from a scrap yard to practice on first

I'm confident with a DA and done plenty of cars with excellent results, and thought I'd like to move to a rotary just to speed the job up a bit (you need to be very patient if you want to do an entire car correctly with a DA!) but didn't get on with the rotary at all.
I could use it well enough, I just prefered using the DA.

I picked up a 2nd hand Porter Cable one from Detailing World forum about 6 years ago and its still going strong
I damaged my wrap with a da....
Yoro35i is offline   United Kingdom
      09-17-2014, 04:51 AM   #9
M5rius
Private First Class

Drives: e92

Garage List
2007 bmw e92  [4.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoro35i View Post
I damaged my wrap with a da....
Who polish the wrap?
M5rius is online now   Lithuania
      09-17-2014, 05:02 AM   #10
AWBimmer
Brigadier General

Drives: E92 335D Pre-LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5rius View Post
Who polish the wrap?

Did I just read this correctly? Yoro you used a DA on your wrap? I don't know what to say

Now: E92 335D, Custom Cars Branded
Gone But Not Forgotten: E90 320D Alpine White
AWBimmer is offline   United Kingdom
      09-17-2014, 05:56 AM   #11
'V'
Lieutenant

Drives: Titamium silver 330d

PM sent to OP. I may be selling my DA
      09-17-2014, 07:15 AM   #12
Yoro35i
TROll

Drives: E92 335I M

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWBimmer View Post

Did I just read this correctly? Yoro you used a DA on your wrap? I don't know what to say
It got rid of all the stain marks.. Believe it or not, wrap needs the polish even more but u can only use the buffing/wool pads on it.

I even polished the black trims and got rid of the oil residue!
Yoro35i is offline   United Kingdom
      09-17-2014, 07:49 AM   #13
R335 - b2b

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'V' View Post
PM sent to OP. I may be selling my DA
Replied!
      09-17-2014, 07:54 AM   #14
R335 - b2b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoro35i View Post
It got rid of all the stain marks.. Believe it or not, wrap needs the polish even more but u can only use the buffing/wool pads on it.

I even polished the black trims and got rid of the oil residue!
Holly crap dude, thinking of a DA on a wrap makes me nervous..

Although, I've seen that there are now a lot of wrap specific polishes and protection products, (for both vinyl and dips) and both industries have moved so far, the products could be hardy enough? but still on the edges and panel gaps?

your either very patient and careful or a crackpot visionary... lol
      09-17-2014, 08:20 AM   #15
R335 - b2b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh1a1h View Post
Das 6 Pro is gd, powerful for our jobs and affordable.
These two seem like good offers, the menzerna says its more suited to harder paint? any really difference...?

Also, your car is RIDONKULOUS... i love it so much, its like the pinnacle of what a 335 could be! and, (ignoring whatevers going with the custom cars thing now,) that paint job looks absolutely amazing in all the pics!
      09-17-2014, 04:46 PM   #16
Josh1a1h
Brigadier General

Drives: AzuriteBlack 335i E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by R335 - b2b View Post
These two seem like good offers, the menzerna says its more suited to harder paint? any really difference...?

Also, your car is RIDONKULOUS... i love it so much, its like the pinnacle of what a 335 could be! and, (ignoring whatevers going with the custom cars thing now,) that paint job looks absolutely amazing in all the pics!
The faster it spins the better it is at breaking down polishes on harder paints i guess.
I went for it as i thought it would be more future proof. And for a little bit more money it made sense as the reviews were pretty great.

Thank you for the kind words matey!!!
More to come very soon
Josh1a1h is offline   United Kingdom
      09-18-2014, 03:49 AM   #17
dest
Captain

Higher torque is more important than speed, then when you apply more pressure if needed it doesn't grind to a halt