E90Post

Bimmer Retrofit

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Neel help re-aligning front aero lip

04-02-2008, 08:07 AM   #1
335xi2k8
First Lieutenant

Drives: 335

Neel help re-aligning front aero lip

Hello All, I installed the front aero lip yesterday on an e92 and the sides are a little bit misaligned so there is a little buldge on one side and the lip sticks out a little. I know i need pics to describe it but I am at work now..can i use a blowdryer on the 3m double sided tape to soften it up and realign the lip without taking it off and hope that the tape will re-stick in the new spot? or do i have to take off the whole lip, add new tape to each spot and put it back on? once i blow dry the area, will i be able to move the lip around with enough force..or do i have to pry it off? im not sure as this is the first time using 3m tape..thanks
      04-02-2008, 08:09 AM   #2
305coupe335i
Private First Class

Drives: 335i coupe sports pckg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335xi2k8 View Post
Hello All, I installed the front aero lip yesterday on an e92 and the sides are a little bit misaligned so there is a little buldge on one side and the lip sticks out a little. I know i need pics to describe it but I am at work now..can i use a blowdryer on the 3m double sided tape to soften it up and realign the lip without taking it off and hope that the tape will re-stick in the new spot? or do i have to take off the whole lip, add new tape to each spot and put it back on? once i blow dry the area, will i be able to move the lip around with enough force..or do i have to pry it off? im not sure as this is the first time using 3m tape..thanks
My lip is coming soon and i would like detailed instructions from experienced users. so i will give this a :bump
      04-02-2008, 02:43 PM   #3
335xi2k8
First Lieutenant

Drives: 335

i guess what im trying to ask if you heat up the 3m tape and move it, will it stick again in the new spot?? anyone??
      04-02-2008, 02:45 PM   #4
BMW///Motorsport
First Lieutenant

Drives: e92 335i

not sure exactly what your describing, but I have heard of guys putting a little betalink on the corners to help with a little of the 3m tape sag... but then its glued to your oem bumper...
i dont think heating it up will release it cleanly. I used windex on my tape, just a little bit helps to give you a second to reposition your lip before the tape sticks permanently. This was mentioned in a couple install DIY guides...
      04-02-2008, 08:59 PM   #5
5soko
Brigadier General

Drives: M5

you have a couple options

take it all off, get new tape on there, and slice thins tape pieces for all the corners so it sticks well. esp where it is coming off now.

or do the above and then use betalink on the corners of the lip to keep it 100% flush agnist the bumper.
5soko is offline   Montenegro