E90Post

Bimmer Retrofit

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > 2007 Nav vs. No Nav

02-05-2016, 01:51 PM   #1
thesmelsinator
Registered
Rep
Drives: 1990 325ix

2007 Nav vs. No Nav

I'm looking at two 2007 E92s. One has a nav screen, and the other doesn't. The E92 without the nav screen is actually more expensive than the one with it. I'm trying to figure out if there are any features the 2007 nav offers that would still be useful nearly 10 years later, or if I'm going to be annoyed by an ugly useless screen in the middle of the dash. (Not sure if it has iDrive or just nav.)

(I tried to search for similar topics before posting. Sorry if I missed a relevant thread.)
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2016, 10:07 PM   #2
patents
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i

The screen means it has iDrive and nav (on E9x you get both together).

I'm probably one of the only people who like the old CCC iDrive/nav. I like the verbal directions better than the app on my phone, and it's nice to have a really big screen not far from your line of vision. Even if you don't care about nav, iDrive makes it a lot easier to change vehicle settings and view vehicle status (vs. the turn signal stalk and tiny display in the cluster). Even though the CCC iDrive looks a bit like an 80s DOS application, it does get the job done.

There's a little bit of a learning curve, but once you figure out how to get around, it will be functional.

And another plus is that you can download and burn DVD map updates for free.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2016, 11:37 PM   #3
thesmelsinator
Registered
Rep
Drives: 1990 325ix

Thanks. Are there any key features the CCC offers that an 07 without it really lacks? Any phone integration differences? Does any of that still work in 2016?
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2016, 12:11 AM   #4
siphor1989
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: bmw 335i

Also consider that you can convert to the newer CIC or NBT navigation system much easier if you get the car that already has navigation.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2016, 10:04 AM   #5
patents
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesmelsinator View Post
Thanks. Are there any key features the CCC offers that an 07 without it really lacks? Any phone integration differences? Does any of that still work in 2016?
This was recently discussed in another thread somewhere. From my understanding, you don't get any added functionality (except for nav) with CCC iDrive. You have access to all the vehicle settings and functions whether you have it or not.

As for phone integration, the only thing you get is bluetooth calling (I think you get bluetooth calling regardless of if you have iDrive). I have an iPhone 5S with iOS 9 and it works just fine. It does sync your contacts to some extent - the contact name will show up on the screen during the call. I think you can download your contacts to iDrive, but I've never tried it.

So really with iDrive you get a much better interface for vehicle functions and nav. CCC looks outdated, but it works. And like I mentioned, I'm probably the only person who prefers the CCC nav over my phone. It tells me when and where to turn with plenty of warning. Seriously, my phone is like "turn right on Dumdum St. in 7 inches" and I'm looking around for Dumdum street and I'm in the left lane and miss it. The CCC nav tells you "prepare to turn right" about half a mile early, and it says "take the next road on the right" or "take the second road on the right". Much better than trying to look for a Dumdum St. road sign. It is tedious to input the destination though.

The system does have voice commands but don't bother, unless you want to be frustrated or entertained. Tell it to call the office and it'll try to navigate you to Portland instead.

When I was looking for a car I didn't care whether I got iDrive or not. The car I got just happened to have it. And I'm glad I did get it. Even if it wasn't for nav, I like the interface for the vehicle functions.

They changed to CIC for 2009. It's definitely an improvement. And like siphor1989 said, you can upgrade CCC to CIC fairly easily (just will cost you about $1,500 I think). For me, it's not worth it. Just gives me something to look forward to when I upgrade my car... will probably be an X5 in a couple years. Used, of course.
Appreciate 0