E90Post

Bimmer Retrofit

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > *Wastegate Ticking Noise Found*

Closed Thread

06-24-2008, 10:57 PM   #199
elmariachi
Major

Drives: BMW ///M Division

Dealership replaced both my turbochargers with the new improved ones which apparently has a thicker wastegate rod. The sound is completely gone. It sounds and feel so damn tight. Like a virgin pussy i'd say!!!

The problem was with the internal wastegate valve which had alot of freeplay. Changing the actuator arm once for both the turbos did not solve the problem. Now it is ok with 2 completely new turbos with the improved actuators.

2008 E92 ///M3 Alpine White M-DCT| Novillo-Black Interior| Carbon Fibre Roof| Premium Sound System| EDC| 19's Advan RS w/ Michelin PS2 Cups| iPod| GruppeM Air Intake| GruppeM Steel Braided Lines|Ferodo DS2500 Pads| Akrapovic Full Header-Back Titanium Exhaust| 6000K Philips D1S| 3M Tints|

Last edited by elmariachi; 06-24-2008 at 11:29 PM.
      07-05-2008, 11:08 AM   #200
McLuVan
Lieutenant General

Drives: ///M3

I just figured out that that "gap" you have found is there on purpose.
Pull the wastegate rod all the way back and you understand why I'm saying this
elmariachi, please update us for a long term review
      07-05-2008, 11:55 AM   #201
StarrDlux
Pussycat's Meow

Drives: '08 335i montego | Stock

maybe she was just rode hard and put away wet too many times

like a spoon in a big mason jar lucey
StarrDlux is offline   United_States
      07-05-2008, 12:30 PM   #202
elmariachi
Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLuVan View Post
I just figured out that that "gap" you have found is there on purpose.
Pull the wastegate rod all the way back and you understand why I'm saying this
elmariachi, please update us for a long term review
So far so good. Sometimes i do hear the rattling but it goes off. Maybe i am just being too attentive. The newwastegate together with the turbos definitely improved my part throttle feel and I get on boost much faster. The one with the wastegate problem was so sluggish.

2008 E92 ///M3 Alpine White M-DCT| Novillo-Black Interior| Carbon Fibre Roof| Premium Sound System| EDC| 19's Advan RS w/ Michelin PS2 Cups| iPod| GruppeM Air Intake| GruppeM Steel Braided Lines|Ferodo DS2500 Pads| Akrapovic Full Header-Back Titanium Exhaust| 6000K Philips D1S| 3M Tints|
      07-05-2008, 01:41 PM   #203
McLuVan
Lieutenant General

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmariachi View Post
So far so good. Sometimes i do hear the rattling but it goes off. Maybe i am just being too attentive. The newwastegate together with the turbos definitely improved my part throttle feel and I get on boost much faster. The one with the wastegate problem was so sluggish.
now I don't have that sluggish problem
.......knock on wood
I hear it......but it goes goes away too
so maybe this isss normal?
      07-05-2008, 05:38 PM   #204
BMWfan07
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 2011 E92 335i M-Sport w/PPK

Week after next, my dealer will have my car for 3 days, they are going to replace the waste gate actuator rods on both turbos. They already did the software "fix" which was a waste of time. They told me the rattle noise they nailed it down to the wastegate actuator on the turbo for cylinders 1,2, 3. making the noise, but they will replace both actuators on both turbos.

If the waste gate for the first 3 cylinders is not closing properly, could that be causing the turbo lag I sense on the bottom end of the torque??

I have lag below about 3k rpm.

Anybody have ideas?

Please help....
BMWfan07 is offline   United_States
      07-05-2008, 06:59 PM   #205
e90AW335i
Major General

Drives: e90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWfan07 View Post

If the waste gate for the first 3 cylinders is not closing properly, could that be causing the turbo lag I sense on the bottom end of the torque??
The lag you feel is due to the "software fix". It is 29.2 which lowers the wastegate duty cycle which in turn creates lag.
e90AW335i is offline   United_States
      07-05-2008, 09:52 PM   #206
elmariachi
Major

Quote:
Week after next, my dealer will have my car for 3 days, they are going to replace the waste gate actuator rods on both turbos. They already did the software "fix" which was a waste of time. They told me the rattle noise they nailed it down to the wastegate actuator on the turbo for cylinders 1,2, 3. making the noise, but they will replace both actuators on both turbos.

I have lag below about 3k rpm.

Anybody have ideas?

Please help....
Changing the wastegate actuator arm may also not solve the problem if your wastegate valve is faulty. Most cars I know have it solved by changing just the actuator arms. However, some of you would also have heard that some dealers have also changed the turbos as changing the actuator arm would also not help as the wastegate valve is rattling and that is situated inside the turbocharger manifold. Mine was loose like a 50 year old prostitute. After they changed the new turbos which I have seen and appears to have a thicker actuator arm rod, the car is just the way I wanted it to be.

As outlined above in black, that is what I am talking about. The wastegate valve is loose there and there is rattling on this seating.

07-05-2008, 11:41 PM   #207
Mr. 5
Modder Raider

Drives: M3

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [4.00]
The actuator pulls the wastegate closed.
It has nothing to do with how thick the rod is.
It's all about how strong the actuator is.
The diaphragms are failing in the older actuators, and once the newer actuators are installed, the wastegates will now be properly shut, hence no ratlling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmariachi View Post
Changing the wastegate actuator arm may also not solve the problem if your wastegate valve is faulty. Most cars I know have it solved by changing just the actuator arms. However, some of you would also have heard that some dealers have also changed the turbos as changing the actuator arm would also not help as the wastegate valve is rattling and that is situated inside the turbocharger manifold. Mine was loose like a 50 year old prostitute. After they changed the new turbos which I have seen and appears to have a thicker actuator arm rod, the car is just the way I wanted it to be.

As outlined above in black, that is what I am talking about. The wastegate valve is loose there and there is rattling on this seating.

Best 60-130-------------9.15 Seconds------------------WWW.MR5RACING.COM
Mr. 5 is offline   Scotland
      07-06-2008, 05:27 AM   #208
StarrDlux
Pussycat's Meow

Drives: '08 335i montego | Stock

wow small turbo we need BAT kits
StarrDlux is offline   United_States
      07-07-2008, 03:40 AM   #209
McLuVan
Lieutenant General

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrDlux View Post
wow small turbo we need BAT kits
bat?
big ass turbo kits?
      07-09-2008, 12:16 PM   #210
Railgun
Major

Drives: FD, CBR600RR, R56 JCW

Send a message via ICQ to Railgun Send a message via AIM to Railgun Send a message via MSN to Railgun Send a message via Yahoo to Railgun Send a message via Skype™ to Railgun
So I wanted to throw in my experience here...

I had recently taken mine into the dealership for a couple of other things including this. I have yet to pick the car up (doing that tonight) but they claim that my issue was caused by a kinked vacuum line. ...WHAT?!?

And how he said it sounded like he knew that I was doing crap to the car. Now, I don't know about anyone else, but 1) those lines haven't been touched for some time and 2)...well...there is no two. I'm not buying it.

We'll see how it goes when I get it.
Railgun is offline   United Kingdom
      07-11-2008, 11:47 PM   #211
elmariachi
Major

I had the bullshit of my air intake causing more wear on the actuator due to some pressure drop which was not present due to the after market air intake.

07-13-2008, 08:36 PM   #212
midlife
ocasionally in crisis

Drives: '08 335i cabrio

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-cha View Post
Yea that would be the same symptoms as others.

subscribed
      07-18-2008, 04:59 PM   #213
BMWfan07
Second Lieutenant

My car went into the shop wednesday 9am to get both turbo wastegate actuators replaced. The SM said their info from BMW told him it was a 2 day job, but asked to have the car 3 days because it was their first time with this procedure. I call on the 3rd day to check status, they didn't call me, and they tell me the car wont be finished and it will need to stay there the weekend and they hope to finish it monday. I am worried that they f-ed something else up and don't want to tell me.

Has anyone else here had this work done and how long did it take??
      07-18-2008, 05:09 PM   #214
MarioKart
Lieutenant

Drives: Black on Black

Quote:
My car went into the shop wednesday 9am to get both turbo wastegate actuators replaced. The SM said their info from BMW told him it was a 2 day job, but asked to have the car 3 days because it was their first time with this procedure. I call on the 3rd day to check status, they didn't call me, and they tell me the car wont be finished and it will need to stay there the weekend and they hope to finish it monday. I am worried that they f-ed something else up and don't want to tell me.

Has anyone else here had this work done and how long did it take??
What dealer and how many miles or you car?
      07-18-2008, 07:49 PM   #215
gram
Enlisted Member

Drives: 07 335i

buzzing/ticking noise

I am also having the same issue. I have Dinan and Dinan is great with after sales support. I went to the dealer today and they have a software fix for this issue. I talked to the shop foreman at my dealership and he said BMW knows about this issue and that there is a software fix for it now (keeps the wastegate open during idle or something like this) The fix is to flash it back to BMW software (version 30) and to reinstall the Dinan flash. If that doesn't work they then replace the actuator rods that everyone has been talking about.

Dinan and the dealership's relationship is great and they really went out of their way to solve the issue for me. I wish the best of luck to the rest of you that have the diesel sounding car that I do right now.
      07-19-2008, 01:35 AM   #216
BMWfan07
Second Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by gram View Post
I am also having the same issue. I have Dinan and Dinan is great with after sales support. I went to the dealer today and they have a software fix for this issue. I talked to the shop foreman at my dealership and he said BMW knows about this issue and that there is a software fix for it now (keeps the wastegate open during idle or something like this) The fix is to flash it back to BMW software (version 30) and to reinstall the Dinan flash. If that doesn't work they then replace the actuator rods that everyone has been talking about.

Dinan and the dealership's relationship is great and they really went out of their way to solve the issue for me. I wish the best of luck to the rest of you that have the diesel sounding car that I do right now.
They already tried the software "fix". It fixed nothing, I know of nobody that it worked for, this is a mechanical problem/noise. If you have the same wastegate rattle, you will need parts replaced, period.
      07-19-2008, 01:37 AM   #217
BMWfan07
Second Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarioKart View Post
What dealer and how many miles or you car?
I have 20k miles on my car, rattle started about 4k miles ago.
      07-22-2008, 07:12 PM   #218
gram
Enlisted Member

Drives: 07 335i

Quote:
They already tried the software "fix". It fixed nothing, I know of nobody that it worked for, this is a mechanical problem/noise. If you have the same wastegate rattle, you will need parts replaced, period.

Thanks for the heads up on this, I guess they have to do the software fix first as lame as that sounds and then I will dip in to new parts I guess I just can't believe how many issues these cars have at their price point.
      07-25-2008, 08:18 AM   #219
BMWfan07
Second Lieutenant

It's done! One week in the shop and finally have a rattle free car. So far, so good. There is no rattle and the turbo lag I sensed before seems a bit less. I was angry at how long it took, but after speaking with the very experienced tech, I was less upset. He told me how much crap he had to remove from the engine compartment to access the turbos, including the damn radiator. He was very careful and said he adjusted the newly designed wastegate actuators to the T. Yes, he said the new actuators are a different design than the old ones.

Did I mention my car is rattle free?

By the way, they told me at my dealership, that the Dinan flash will void the warranty, and that the relationship between the Dinan company and BMW is not the same as years past. I was thinking about Dinan as opposed to Procede because of the warranty advantage. Doesn't Dinan cover whatever BMW wont when it comes to engine failure??
      07-28-2008, 08:43 PM   #220
kyee
Private

Drives: '07 335i sedan

I had the same clicking sound on my car. About 25k miles. They tried the "software fix", which of course did nothing. After 2 days the said they'd need to change out the turbos. There goes another 2 days. Of course I have a 2 week vacation to Hawaii starting on the day they finally have the car ready for me. I had to leave it at the dealer's, and just picked it up on Saturday. runs like a champ, and that damn clicking noise is finally gone.
kyee is offline   United_States
Closed Thread