E90Post
 


TNT Racewerks
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > *Wastegate Ticking Noise Found*



Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      04-14-2008, 11:14 PM   #155
Tuned335i
Major
14
Rep
1,310
Posts

 
Drives: E92 335i
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: World of Torque

iTrader: (0)

CONGRATS Mr 5 - awesome job!!!!!!

This is the reason this forum just rocks!!!!
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2008, 02:48 PM   #156
Cool Car Dave
It goes fast.
Cool Car Dave's Avatar
Germany
0
Rep
95
Posts

 
Drives: Blue 07 335i Coupe
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Germany

iTrader: (0)

I have the ticking sound and a vibrating sound.
It is awesome that you fixed it yourself but Im not daring enough to do that myself. Until BMW figures out there own fix I will live with them having my car for several days.
I think they are planning to replace both my turbos and diverter valves because they think the ticking is coming from the diverter valves.
Think I will just buy the Forge Diverter Valves. Will those valves help protect the turbos better; especially with extra boost?
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2008, 06:16 PM   #157
SROC3
The limit of adhesion is my home.
SROC3's Avatar
United_States
32
Rep
1,385
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 JTBLK ZCP
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: three.one.zero

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2012 BMW M3  [0.00]
Send a message via Yahoo to SROC3
So they took my car this morning, and after repeated promises about giving me my car back.....low and behold, they needed to change both actuators and not only one. So he said that since they haven't pulled apart the car, I can get it back. But the other actuator is apparently on national backorder (exactly in-line with what I have read on this forum) so I'll have to wait till next week.

I'm thankful at least that the wastegate isn't "stuck" and still moves freely. its just the actuator arm that is rattling - I just hope it does not come apart on my roadtrip to the Bay Area this weekend...that would totally suck.
__________________
2012 M3 E92 Jet Black
Black Leather/DCT | ZCP |
(Buy date 11/27/11) 2012 M3 E92 Jet Black
Red Extended Leather/6MT | Comp Package - RETIRED
(Impulse Buy Date - 11/22/06) 335i E92/Space Grey/ Red Leather/6MT - RETIRED
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2008, 09:16 PM   #158
elmariachi
Major
elmariachi's Avatar
48
Rep
1,323
Posts

 
Drives: BMW ///M Division
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Singapore

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Car Dave View Post
I have the ticking sound and a vibrating sound.
It is awesome that you fixed it yourself but Im not daring enough to do that myself. Until BMW figures out there own fix I will live with them having my car for several days.
I think they are planning to replace both my turbos and diverter valves because they think the ticking is coming from the diverter valves.
Think I will just buy the Forge Diverter Valves. Will those valves help protect the turbos better; especially with extra boost?
I really dont think its the diverter valves. on RHD cars like mine, the sound is distinctively on the right side and my diverter valves are on the right. I can honestly tell you its not your diverter. The mechanism of the diverter valve is such you wont hear this kind of sound. This is a rattling of something loose.
__________________

2008 E92 ///M3 Alpine White M-DCT| Novillo-Black Interior| Carbon Fibre Roof| Premium Sound System| EDC| 19's Advan RS w/ Michelin PS2 Cups| iPod| GruppeM Air Intake| GruppeM Steel Braided Lines|Ferodo DS2500 Pads| Akrapovic Full Header-Back Titanium Exhaust| 6000K Philips D1S| 3M Tints|
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2008, 09:18 PM   #159
cn555ic
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
cn555ic's Avatar
United_States
246
Rep
18,287
Posts


 
Drives: Bimmerscoding.com
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: New York

iTrader: (5)

Send a message via Yahoo to cn555ic
Quote:
Originally Posted by elmariachi View Post
I really dont think its the diverter valves. on RHD cars like mine, the sound is distinctively on the right side and my diverter valves are on the right. I can honestly tell you its not your diverter. The mechanism of the diverter valve is such you wont hear this kind of sound. This is a rattling of something loose.
After hearing MR 5 video and his fix, I would have to agree that its not the Dvs for sure!!! Check out his video and his fix
__________________
917-939-4980 CODING E and F Series New York Area

Appreciate 0
      04-18-2008, 12:41 AM   #160
Cool Car Dave
It goes fast.
Cool Car Dave's Avatar
Germany
0
Rep
95
Posts

 
Drives: Blue 07 335i Coupe
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Germany

iTrader: (0)

Ya I understand about the rattling sound, I have that when I step on the gas and release, but when just sitting there at idle you can hear another ticking sound and it is definitely coming from the area around the diverter vavles. But I dont know.
At least we have MR 5 who has done so much research, he's helping a lot.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2008, 08:49 AM   #161
cn555ic
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
cn555ic's Avatar
United_States
246
Rep
18,287
Posts


 
Drives: Bimmerscoding.com
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: New York

iTrader: (5)

Send a message via Yahoo to cn555ic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Car Dave View Post
Ya I understand about the rattling sound, I have that when I step on the gas and release, but when just sitting there at idle you can hear another ticking sound and it is definitely coming from the area around the diverter vavles. But I dont know.
At least we have MR 5 who has done so much research, he's helping a lot.
Yeah I think I know the ticking sound your speaking of near the diverter valve, but it sounds like from somewhere near the charge pipe...I have that occasionally during a cold startup, but it goes away after a few minutes..Its a loud tick too!! Ever since the weathers warming up here in the Northeast of the US, i haven't heard it for a while!
__________________
917-939-4980 CODING E and F Series New York Area

Appreciate 0
      04-23-2008, 09:57 AM   #162
Mr. 5
Modder Raider
Mr. 5's Avatar
Scotland
269
Rep
8,626
Posts

 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Surf City, HB

iTrader: (31)

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [4.00]
OK guys,
I thought I'd give you an update.
I updated the first post with this:


I drove around for a couple days with no sound, and then it came back again. The shim that I put in the space fell out while I was driving.
I took my car to my friend's shop because we truly wanted to get to the bottom of this.

I took my DPs off the car so I could see a little bit better with what exactly was going on.

We took the vacuum line off the rear actuator and connected a hand pump to it.
We activated the actuator (with the hand pump) closing the wastegate until the actuator couldn't move any further.
At the maximum closing capacity of the actuator, the wastegate was still opem a little bit and the wastegate could be easily moved by the hand.
This is the "ticking" sound that we are hearing because the wastegate is banging up against the seal.
It turned out that BMW is correct with their fix.

It turns out that the temporary fix that I came up with helped prevent the wastegate from moving while it was in the closed position, but it should not be done for a permanent fix whatsoever.

BMW claims that there is no loss of power while the ticking noise is present, but I disagree with this.
I agree that there is no loss of power under full boost, since the boost will help keep the wastegate closed but I believe that under part throttle there is a loss of some power. Since the wastegate isn't closing properly then the amount of lag will increase with a leaking wastegate since there will be some leakage before the system builds boost, therefore creating more of a lag.

I personally recommend that you get this taken care of at the dealer.
__________________
e36 M3 Coupe, e36 325i Sedan
e90 335i--SOLD

Best 60-130-------------9.15 Seconds------------------WWW.MR5RACING.COM
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2008, 11:34 AM   #163
sparkyg
Brigadier General
sparkyg's Avatar
Canada
47
Rep
3,493
Posts

 
Drives: EBII 2014 F31 328xi
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Oil Country

iTrader: (5)

Nice work, well done.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2008, 11:14 PM   #164
NRG
Lieutenant Colonel
NRG's Avatar
Russian Federation
22
Rep
1,659
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 X5 35d
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Montreal QC

iTrader: (5)

Read trough entire thread, got worried, went down to the garage, moved the "rod" gently left and right (facing the car), It does have a little play, but no "ticking sound" at idle or while driving. The car is January 07 build, auto, and sport. Mods are; SSTT, Forge DV's (yellow), BMC, GTM.
__________________

Retired: 2005 N52 E90 330i Sport 6AT
Retired: 2007 N54 E92 335i Sport 6AT

Current: 2012 M57 E70 X5 xDrive35D
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2008, 11:40 PM   #165
Mr. 5
Modder Raider
Mr. 5's Avatar
Scotland
269
Rep
8,626
Posts

 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Surf City, HB

iTrader: (31)

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [4.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NRG View Post
Read trough entire thread, got worried, went down to the garage, moved the "rod" gently left and right (facing the car), It does have a little play, but no "ticking sound" at idle or while driving. The car is January 07 build, auto, and sport. Mods are; SSTT, Forge DV's (yellow), BMC, GTM.
Id you don't have the ticking then don't worry about it.
__________________
e36 M3 Coupe, e36 325i Sedan
e90 335i--SOLD

Best 60-130-------------9.15 Seconds------------------WWW.MR5RACING.COM
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2008, 07:59 AM   #166
twinturbodude
Member
twinturbodude's Avatar
United_States
2
Rep
47
Posts

 
Drives: 335xi
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: MA

iTrader: (0)

Awesowe work Mr. 5...thanks for doing the investigation on this and sharing it with everyone. Also for the persistence to keep investigating until the issue is understood. My car's in the shop for this fix now...if I get a spare moment before going on vacation in a day or two I'll try to post the before/after audio (crossing my fingers that all's well with the repair).
__________________
e90 335xi / 6MT / titanium silver / black leather / premium / cold weather / sport / iPod
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2008, 10:54 AM   #167
BMWfan07
Second Lieutenant
BMWfan07's Avatar
United_States
4
Rep
238
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 E92 335i M-Sport w/PPK
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Northern CA

iTrader: (3)

Anybody have any updates? Did anyone try BMW's fix as per their latest SI bulletin update?

My 335 is scheduled to go to the dealer next week for a "software programming". Did this work for anyone?

My SA told me that it is BMW's first attempt at a fix and it could take from 1 to 5 hours. If that does not work, which I honestly cannot see how it could, they will replace both wastegate actuators. How can a software update make a mechanical noise disappear? Adjusting something else to compensate? I am worried they will harm the car's performance in some way with their compensating software update.

Anyone have real experience with this BMW fix?

I spoke to a shop foreman at another BMW dealer, he told me he has a 335 and that his is noisier than mine. He said the noise is not affecting the engine nor performance and he is in no hurry to get his 335 in the shop.

Whatever, I can't stand the sound, it sounds like I'm driving a cheap piece of crap.

Your experience and input is appreciated. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2008, 11:20 AM   #168
Kerosene Hat
Regional Governor
Kerosene Hat's Avatar
11
Rep
555
Posts

 
Drives: '10 E92 335i
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: ATL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWfan07 View Post
Anybody have any updates? Did anyone try BMW's fix as per their latest SI bulletin update?

My 335 is scheduled to go to the dealer next week for a "software programming". Did this work for anyone?

My SA told me that it is BMW's first attempt at a fix and it could take from 1 to 5 hours. If that does not work, which I honestly cannot see how it could, they will replace both wastegate actuators. How can a software update make a mechanical noise disappear? Adjusting something else to compensate? I am worried they will harm the car's performance in some way with their compensating software update.

Anyone have real experience with this BMW fix?

I spoke to a shop foreman at another BMW dealer, he told me he has a 335 and that his is noisier than mine. He said the noise is not affecting the engine nor performance and he is in no hurry to get his 335 in the shop.

Whatever, I can't stand the sound, it sounds like I'm driving a cheap piece of crap.

Your experience and input is appreciated. Thanks.
I am getting the "software update is the fix" from my dealer. I don't understand how sw can affect a mechanical part, either. And I sure don't want v29.2 if I don't have to have it. Evidiently, there's a SIB or some bulletin that tells techs to update sw for this "noise coming from the turbos" (quote from my last service visit).

Has anyone had luck w/ a software fix?????
__________________
2010 E92 335i | Alpine White |Coral Red | M-Sport | Logic 7 |
My Website| My Flickr Page
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2008, 12:28 PM   #169
elmariachi
Major
elmariachi's Avatar
48
Rep
1,323
Posts

 
Drives: BMW ///M Division
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Singapore

iTrader: (1)

My wastegate ticking noise was not fixed after 1 month in the dealership. They said that they would have to change the turbos and am waiting for a pair of new turbos to come in. They have returned the car to mee stating there is no problem driving it for now. At least untill my new turbos arrive. Still not sure if they have to remove the engine or simply lift it to change the turbos.
__________________

2008 E92 ///M3 Alpine White M-DCT| Novillo-Black Interior| Carbon Fibre Roof| Premium Sound System| EDC| 19's Advan RS w/ Michelin PS2 Cups| iPod| GruppeM Air Intake| GruppeM Steel Braided Lines|Ferodo DS2500 Pads| Akrapovic Full Header-Back Titanium Exhaust| 6000K Philips D1S| 3M Tints|
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2008, 01:03 PM   #170
dre335
Private First Class
dre335's Avatar
3
Rep
153
Posts

 
Drives: E90-M3
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Singapore

iTrader: (0)

They shouldn't need to be dropping the engine to change out those turbos.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2008, 01:11 PM   #171
onefastdoc
First Lieutenant
6
Rep
324
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 E90 M3
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: L.A.

iTrader: (2)

My experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. 5 View Post
OK guys,
I thought I'd give you an update.
I updated the first post with this:


I drove around for a couple days with no sound, and then it came back again. The shim that I put in the space fell out while I was driving.
I took my car to my friend's shop because we truly wanted to get to the bottom of this.

I took my DPs off the car so I could see a little bit better with what exactly was going on.

We took the vacuum line off the rear actuator and connected a hand pump to it.
We activated the actuator (with the hand pump) closing the wastegate until the actuator couldn't move any further.
At the maximum closing capacity of the actuator, the wastegate was still opem a little bit and the wastegate could be easily moved by the hand.
This is the "ticking" sound that we are hearing because the wastegate is banging up against the seal.
It turned out that BMW is correct with their fix.

It turns out that the temporary fix that I came up with helped prevent the wastegate from moving while it was in the closed position, but it should not be done for a permanent fix whatsoever.

BMW claims that there is no loss of power while the ticking noise is present, but I disagree with this.
I agree that there is no loss of power under full boost, since the boost will help keep the wastegate closed but I believe that under part throttle there is a loss of some power. Since the wastegate isn't closing properly then the amount of lag will increase with a leaking wastegate since there will be some leakage before the system builds boost, therefore creating more of a lag.

I personally recommend that you get this taken care of at the dealer.

Interestingly enough, I had the same problem but I also had significant loss of power. In fact, the usual audible whine of the turbos spooling was completely absent, and the car felt like it lost about 200hp. Took it to the dealer and both wastegate actuators were malfunctioning. The noise I had was identical to that of the posted videos, but I had major power loss as well. I would only get a check engine light if I gave it full throttle. No light at part throttle. There was also no difference between part throttle and full throttle in terms of acceleration either. The car literally felt like it had 100hp at the most. Weird. Anyway, the car is fixed now and feels fine.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2008, 02:18 PM   #172
David1
Colonel
David1's Avatar
United_States
28
Rep
2,664
Posts

 
Drives: 09 E92 09 X5
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: City With No Room For Ludicris Speed!

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre335 View Post
They shouldn't need to be dropping the engine to change out those turbos.
They drop the motor at my store. It's easier to do. Motor/trans and subframe dropped in an hour and 15 minutes. Most of the new bimmers it's easier to drop the front for major work.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2008, 07:46 AM   #173
BMWfan07
Second Lieutenant
BMWfan07's Avatar
United_States
4
Rep
238
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 E92 335i M-Sport w/PPK
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Northern CA

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWfan07 View Post
Anybody have any updates? Did anyone try BMW's fix as per their latest SI bulletin update?

My 335 is scheduled to go to the dealer next week for a "software programming". Did this work for anyone?

My SA told me that it is BMW's first attempt at a fix and it could take from 1 to 5 hours. If that does not work, which I honestly cannot see how it could, they will replace both wastegate actuators. How can a software update make a mechanical noise disappear? Adjusting something else to compensate? I am worried they will harm the car's performance in some way with their compensating software update.

Anyone have real experience with this BMW fix?

I spoke to a shop foreman at another BMW dealer, he told me he has a 335 and that his is noisier than mine. He said the noise is not affecting the engine nor performance and he is in no hurry to get his 335 in the shop.

Whatever, I can't stand the sound, it sounds like I'm driving a cheap piece of crap.

Your experience and input is appreciated. Thanks.
So, nobody has the dealer fix their ticking/ rattling sound via the "software update"??

I just know it wont work for me either and they will make me jump through hoops before they will actually replace the waste gate actuators.

I will get a loaner car, my car will sit there most of the day for the software update and after all that, nothing is fixed and they have to order the parts.

The dealer is 3 hours away from where I live, frustrating!!.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2008, 05:54 PM   #174
midlife
ocasionally in crisis
midlife's Avatar
28
Rep
2,359
Posts

 
Drives: '08 335i cabrio
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: ..........

iTrader: (0)

subscribed
__________________
If your car isn't scary - it's just not fast enough !
RPI IC / UR catless DPs / JB3 2.0 beta / UR CAI / Quaife LSD / Snow Methanol Injection / VK oil cooler upgrade / Forge DVs /
M3 rear sway / Riss catch can / Paddle shifting 6AT / M Sport steering wheel / Logic 7 / Dunlop Direzza Z1 255/235 /
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2008, 11:04 AM   #175
BMWfan07
Second Lieutenant
BMWfan07's Avatar
United_States
4
Rep
238
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 E92 335i M-Sport w/PPK
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Northern CA

iTrader: (3)

Not fixed yet.

It didn't work. The software update didn't work!! I knew it wouldn't, but the SA told me I had to have them do the update first because BMWNA determines protocol. My car was at the dealer for 9 hours and not a thing was accomplished. Now they want to order 2 waste gate actuators.

Has anyone had their waste gate actuators replaced and it fixed their rattling problem??

Did it fix the problem for good or just temporarily??
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2008, 11:53 AM   #176
Mr. 5
Modder Raider
Mr. 5's Avatar
Scotland
269
Rep
8,626
Posts

 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Surf City, HB

iTrader: (31)

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [4.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWfan07 View Post
It didn't work. The software update didn't work!! I knew it wouldn't, but the SA told me I had to have them do the update first because BMWNA determines protocol. My car was at the dealer for 9 hours and not a thing was accomplished. Now they want to order 2 waste gate actuators.

Has anyone had their waste gate actuators replaced and it fixed their rattling problem??

Did it fix the problem for good or just temporarily??
It's a good thing that I took my car into the dealer before the software came out because I knew it wasn't going to work in my case.

The actuators are key to this fix.
__________________
e36 M3 Coupe, e36 325i Sedan
e90 335i--SOLD

Best 60-130-------------9.15 Seconds------------------WWW.MR5RACING.COM
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:05 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST