E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > *Wastegate Ticking Noise Found*

Closed Thread

04-14-2008, 11:14 PM   #155
Tuned335i
Major
Rep

Drives: E92 335i

CONGRATS Mr 5 - awesome job!!!!!!

This is the reason this forum just rocks!!!!
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2008, 02:48 PM   #156
Cool Car Dave
It goes fast.
Germany
Rep

Drives: Blue 07 335i Coupe

I have the ticking sound and a vibrating sound.
It is awesome that you fixed it yourself but Im not daring enough to do that myself. Until BMW figures out there own fix I will live with them having my car for several days.
I think they are planning to replace both my turbos and diverter valves because they think the ticking is coming from the diverter valves.
Think I will just buy the Forge Diverter Valves. Will those valves help protect the turbos better; especially with extra boost?
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2008, 06:16 PM   #157
SROC3
The limit of adhesion is my home.
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2012 E92 M3 JTBLK ZCP

Garage List
2012 BMW M3  [0.00]
Send a message via Yahoo to SROC3
So they took my car this morning, and after repeated promises about giving me my car back.....low and behold, they needed to change both actuators and not only one. So he said that since they haven't pulled apart the car, I can get it back. But the other actuator is apparently on national backorder (exactly in-line with what I have read on this forum) so I'll have to wait till next week.

I'm thankful at least that the wastegate isn't "stuck" and still moves freely. its just the actuator arm that is rattling - I just hope it does not come apart on my roadtrip to the Bay Area this weekend...that would totally suck.
Red Extended Leather/6MT | Comp Package - RETIRED
(Impulse Buy Date - 11/22/06) 335i E92/Space Grey/ Red Leather/6MT - RETIRED
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2008, 09:16 PM   #158
elmariachi
Major
Rep

Drives: BMW ///M Division

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Car Dave View Post
I have the ticking sound and a vibrating sound.
It is awesome that you fixed it yourself but Im not daring enough to do that myself. Until BMW figures out there own fix I will live with them having my car for several days.
I think they are planning to replace both my turbos and diverter valves because they think the ticking is coming from the diverter valves.
Think I will just buy the Forge Diverter Valves. Will those valves help protect the turbos better; especially with extra boost?
I really dont think its the diverter valves. on RHD cars like mine, the sound is distinctively on the right side and my diverter valves are on the right. I can honestly tell you its not your diverter. The mechanism of the diverter valve is such you wont hear this kind of sound. This is a rattling of something loose.

2008 E92 ///M3 Alpine White M-DCT| Novillo-Black Interior| Carbon Fibre Roof| Premium Sound System| EDC| 19's Advan RS w/ Michelin PS2 Cups| iPod| GruppeM Air Intake| GruppeM Steel Braided Lines|Ferodo DS2500 Pads| Akrapovic Full Header-Back Titanium Exhaust| 6000K Philips D1S| 3M Tints|
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2008, 09:18 PM   #159
cn555ic
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: Bimmerscoding.com

Send a message via Yahoo to cn555ic
Quote:
Originally Posted by elmariachi View Post
I really dont think its the diverter valves. on RHD cars like mine, the sound is distinctively on the right side and my diverter valves are on the right. I can honestly tell you its not your diverter. The mechanism of the diverter valve is such you wont hear this kind of sound. This is a rattling of something loose.
After hearing MR 5 video and his fix, I would have to agree that its not the Dvs for sure!!! Check out his video and his fix

Appreciate 0
      04-18-2008, 12:41 AM   #160
Cool Car Dave
It goes fast.
Germany
Rep

Drives: Blue 07 335i Coupe

Ya I understand about the rattling sound, I have that when I step on the gas and release, but when just sitting there at idle you can hear another ticking sound and it is definitely coming from the area around the diverter vavles. But I dont know.
At least we have MR 5 who has done so much research, he's helping a lot.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2008, 08:49 AM   #161
cn555ic
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: Bimmerscoding.com

Send a message via Yahoo to cn555ic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Car Dave View Post
Ya I understand about the rattling sound, I have that when I step on the gas and release, but when just sitting there at idle you can hear another ticking sound and it is definitely coming from the area around the diverter vavles. But I dont know.
At least we have MR 5 who has done so much research, he's helping a lot.
Yeah I think I know the ticking sound your speaking of near the diverter valve, but it sounds like from somewhere near the charge pipe...I have that occasionally during a cold startup, but it goes away after a few minutes..Its a loud tick too!! Ever since the weathers warming up here in the Northeast of the US, i haven't heard it for a while!

Appreciate 0
      04-23-2008, 09:57 AM   #162
Mr. 5
Modder Raider
Scotland
Rep

Drives: M3

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [4.00]
OK guys,
I thought I'd give you an update.
I updated the first post with this:

I drove around for a couple days with no sound, and then it came back again. The shim that I put in the space fell out while I was driving.
I took my car to my friend's shop because we truly wanted to get to the bottom of this.

I took my DPs off the car so I could see a little bit better with what exactly was going on.

We took the vacuum line off the rear actuator and connected a hand pump to it.
We activated the actuator (with the hand pump) closing the wastegate until the actuator couldn't move any further.
At the maximum closing capacity of the actuator, the wastegate was still opem a little bit and the wastegate could be easily moved by the hand.
This is the "ticking" sound that we are hearing because the wastegate is banging up against the seal.
It turned out that BMW is correct with their fix.

It turns out that the temporary fix that I came up with helped prevent the wastegate from moving while it was in the closed position, but it should not be done for a permanent fix whatsoever.

BMW claims that there is no loss of power while the ticking noise is present, but I disagree with this.
I agree that there is no loss of power under full boost, since the boost will help keep the wastegate closed but I believe that under part throttle there is a loss of some power. Since the wastegate isn't closing properly then the amount of lag will increase with a leaking wastegate since there will be some leakage before the system builds boost, therefore creating more of a lag.

I personally recommend that you get this taken care of at the dealer.

Best 60-130-------------9.15 Seconds------------------WWW.MR5RACING.COM
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2008, 11:34 AM   #163
sparkyg
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Drives: EBII 2014 F31 328xi

Nice work, well done.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2008, 11:14 PM   #164
NRG
Lieutenant Colonel
Russian Federation
Rep

Drives: 2012 X5 35d

Read trough entire thread, got worried, went down to the garage, moved the "rod" gently left and right (facing the car), It does have a little play, but no "ticking sound" at idle or while driving. The car is January 07 build, auto, and sport. Mods are; SSTT, Forge DV's (yellow), BMC, GTM.

Retired: 2005 N52 E90 330i Sport 6AT
Retired: 2007 N54 E92 335i Sport 6AT

Current: 2012 M57 E70 X5 xDrive35D
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2008, 11:40 PM   #165
Mr. 5
Modder Raider
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [4.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NRG View Post
Read trough entire thread, got worried, went down to the garage, moved the "rod" gently left and right (facing the car), It does have a little play, but no "ticking sound" at idle or while driving. The car is January 07 build, auto, and sport. Mods are; SSTT, Forge DV's (yellow), BMC, GTM.
Id you don't have the ticking then don't worry about it.

Appreciate 0
      04-24-2008, 07:59 AM   #166
twinturbodude
United_States
Rep

Drives: 335xi

Awesowe work Mr. 5...thanks for doing the investigation on this and sharing it with everyone. Also for the persistence to keep investigating until the issue is understood. My car's in the shop for this fix now...if I get a spare moment before going on vacation in a day or two I'll try to post the before/after audio (crossing my fingers that all's well with the repair).
      06-06-2008, 10:54 AM   #167
BMWfan07
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2011 E92 335i M-Sport w/PPK

Anybody have any updates? Did anyone try BMW's fix as per their latest SI bulletin update?

My 335 is scheduled to go to the dealer next week for a "software programming". Did this work for anyone?

My SA told me that it is BMW's first attempt at a fix and it could take from 1 to 5 hours. If that does not work, which I honestly cannot see how it could, they will replace both wastegate actuators. How can a software update make a mechanical noise disappear? Adjusting something else to compensate? I am worried they will harm the car's performance in some way with their compensating software update.

Anyone have real experience with this BMW fix?

I spoke to a shop foreman at another BMW dealer, he told me he has a 335 and that his is noisier than mine. He said the noise is not affecting the engine nor performance and he is in no hurry to get his 335 in the shop.

Whatever, I can't stand the sound, it sounds like I'm driving a cheap piece of crap.

Your experience and input is appreciated. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2008, 11:20 AM   #168
Kerosene Hat
Regional Governor
Rep

Drives: '10 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWfan07 View Post
Anybody have any updates? Did anyone try BMW's fix as per their latest SI bulletin update?

My 335 is scheduled to go to the dealer next week for a "software programming". Did this work for anyone?

My SA told me that it is BMW's first attempt at a fix and it could take from 1 to 5 hours. If that does not work, which I honestly cannot see how it could, they will replace both wastegate actuators. How can a software update make a mechanical noise disappear? Adjusting something else to compensate? I am worried they will harm the car's performance in some way with their compensating software update.

I spoke to a shop foreman at another BMW dealer, he told me he has a 335 and that his is noisier than mine. He said the noise is not affecting the engine nor performance and he is in no hurry to get his 335 in the shop.

Whatever, I can't stand the sound, it sounds like I'm driving a cheap piece of crap.

I am getting the "software update is the fix" from my dealer. I don't understand how sw can affect a mechanical part, either. And I sure don't want v29.2 if I don't have to have it. Evidiently, there's a SIB or some bulletin that tells techs to update sw for this "noise coming from the turbos" (quote from my last service visit).

Has anyone had luck w/ a software fix?????
      06-06-2008, 12:28 PM   #169
elmariachi
Major
Rep

Drives: BMW ///M Division

My wastegate ticking noise was not fixed after 1 month in the dealership. They said that they would have to change the turbos and am waiting for a pair of new turbos to come in. They have returned the car to mee stating there is no problem driving it for now. At least untill my new turbos arrive. Still not sure if they have to remove the engine or simply lift it to change the turbos.

2008 E92 ///M3 Alpine White M-DCT| Novillo-Black Interior| Carbon Fibre Roof| Premium Sound System| EDC| 19's Advan RS w/ Michelin PS2 Cups| iPod| GruppeM Air Intake| GruppeM Steel Braided Lines|Ferodo DS2500 Pads| Akrapovic Full Header-Back Titanium Exhaust| 6000K Philips D1S| 3M Tints|
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2008, 01:03 PM   #170
dre335
Private First Class
Rep

Drives: E90-M3

They shouldn't need to be dropping the engine to change out those turbos.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2008, 01:11 PM   #171
onefastdoc
First Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 2008 E90 M3

My experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. 5 View Post
OK guys,
I thought I'd give you an update.
I updated the first post with this:

I drove around for a couple days with no sound, and then it came back again. The shim that I put in the space fell out while I was driving.
I took my car to my friend's shop because we truly wanted to get to the bottom of this.

I took my DPs off the car so I could see a little bit better with what exactly was going on.

We took the vacuum line off the rear actuator and connected a hand pump to it.
We activated the actuator (with the hand pump) closing the wastegate until the actuator couldn't move any further.
At the maximum closing capacity of the actuator, the wastegate was still opem a little bit and the wastegate could be easily moved by the hand.
This is the "ticking" sound that we are hearing because the wastegate is banging up against the seal.
It turned out that BMW is correct with their fix.

It turns out that the temporary fix that I came up with helped prevent the wastegate from moving while it was in the closed position, but it should not be done for a permanent fix whatsoever.

BMW claims that there is no loss of power while the ticking noise is present, but I disagree with this.
I agree that there is no loss of power under full boost, since the boost will help keep the wastegate closed but I believe that under part throttle there is a loss of some power. Since the wastegate isn't closing properly then the amount of lag will increase with a leaking wastegate since there will be some leakage before the system builds boost, therefore creating more of a lag.

I personally recommend that you get this taken care of at the dealer.

Interestingly enough, I had the same problem but I also had significant loss of power. In fact, the usual audible whine of the turbos spooling was completely absent, and the car felt like it lost about 200hp. Took it to the dealer and both wastegate actuators were malfunctioning. The noise I had was identical to that of the posted videos, but I had major power loss as well. I would only get a check engine light if I gave it full throttle. No light at part throttle. There was also no difference between part throttle and full throttle in terms of acceleration either. The car literally felt like it had 100hp at the most. Weird. Anyway, the car is fixed now and feels fine.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2008, 02:18 PM   #172
David1
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: 09 E92 09 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre335 View Post
They shouldn't need to be dropping the engine to change out those turbos.
They drop the motor at my store. It's easier to do. Motor/trans and subframe dropped in an hour and 15 minutes. Most of the new bimmers it's easier to drop the front for major work.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2008, 07:46 AM   #173
BMWfan07
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:

So, nobody has the dealer fix their ticking/ rattling sound via the "software update"??

I just know it wont work for me either and they will make me jump through hoops before they will actually replace the waste gate actuators.

I will get a loaner car, my car will sit there most of the day for the software update and after all that, nothing is fixed and they have to order the parts.

The dealer is 3 hours away from where I live, frustrating!!.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2008, 05:54 PM   #174
midlife
ocasionally in crisis
Rep

Drives: '08 335i cabrio

subscribed
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2008, 11:04 AM   #175
BMWfan07
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Not fixed yet.

It didn't work. The software update didn't work!! I knew it wouldn't, but the SA told me I had to have them do the update first because BMWNA determines protocol. My car was at the dealer for 9 hours and not a thing was accomplished. Now they want to order 2 waste gate actuators.

Has anyone had their waste gate actuators replaced and it fixed their rattling problem??

Did it fix the problem for good or just temporarily??
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2008, 11:53 AM   #176
Mr. 5
Modder Raider
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [4.00]
Quote:
It didn't work. The software update didn't work!! I knew it wouldn't, but the SA told me I had to have them do the update first because BMWNA determines protocol. My car was at the dealer for 9 hours and not a thing was accomplished. Now they want to order 2 waste gate actuators.

Has anyone had their waste gate actuators replaced and it fixed their rattling problem??

Did it fix the problem for good or just temporarily??
It's a good thing that I took my car into the dealer before the software came out because I knew it wasn't going to work in my case.

The actuators are key to this fix.

Appreciate 0
Closed Thread