E90Post

Lux Angel Eyes

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > BMW Warranty

04-07-2008, 05:43 PM   #1
- Paul -
Major General

Drives: see above.

Garage List
2005 320D SE  [5.00]
2005 645  [4.50]
BMW Warranty

Ok so my warranty is up at the end of the month. I have just logged onto the BMW warranty site for a quote and for Full Comprehensive cover including Emergency Service it comes to £520 a year or £48 a month.

What's the consensus on it's worth guys and girls??

Added the documentation....

Whats covered:-

Comprehensive Component Cover
The maximum total claims liability covered by the BMW Insured Warranty Comprehensive Component Cover is
the purchase price paid for the insured vehicle, inclusive of VAT. Your Comprehensive Component Cover covers
all factory fitted mechanical and electrical components of the insured vehicle with the exception of the following:
Battery, all exhaust components (except catalytic converter), brake and clutch facings, discs and drums, bulbs
and fuses, channels and guides, weather strips and seals, handles, hinges and check straps, trim, upholstery
and cosmetics finishes, bodywork, paintwork, wheels and tyres, wiper blades and arms, glass, auxiliary drive
belts, coolant and fuel hoses, the cleaning or adjustment of any component, and all service items which will
require periodic replacement.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf PolicyHandbook_BMW_Warr_UK.pdf (531.1 KB, 54 views)
File Type: pdf IDD_BMW_Warr_UK.pdf (31.4 KB, 53 views)
File Type: pdf DemandsNeeds_BMW_Warr_UK.pdf (48.3 KB, 58 views)
      04-07-2008, 06:29 PM   #2
NFS
Major General

Drives: 335i m-sport LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stnewcar View Post
Ok so my warranty is up at the end of the month. I have just logged onto the BMW warranty site for a quote and for Full Comprehensive cover including Emergency Service it comes to £520 a year or £48 a month.

The maximum total claims liability covered by the BMW Insured Warranty Comprehensive Component Cover is
the purchase price paid for the insured vehicle, inclusive of VAT. Your Comprehensive Component Cover covers
all factory fitted mechanical and electrical components of the insured vehicle with the exception of the following:
Battery, all exhaust components (except catalytic converter), brake and clutch facings, discs and drums, bulbs
and fuses, channels and guides, weather strips and seals, handles, hinges and check straps, trim, upholstery
and cosmetics finishes, bodywork, paintwork, wheels and tyres, wiper blades and arms, glass, auxiliary drive
belts, coolant and fuel hoses, the cleaning or adjustment of any component, and all service items which will
Sounds like a better price. I heard this was around £1k

Is your milage below 60k? I think that it's more for 60-100K
      04-07-2008, 08:03 PM   #3
- Paul -
Major General

Garage List
2005 320D SE  [5.00]
2005 645  [4.50]
Near 35k now.
      04-08-2008, 02:48 AM   #4
2GPP
Private First Class

Drives: E91 335i M Sport

Quote:

Just renewed the warranty on the wives E46 convertible (3 years old), BMW now offer 3 levels of cover for all cars accross the range. The price goes up for cars with 60k+ and they will not cover cars with 100k+! (what does that say about their faith in their own products!!)
1. Comprehensive Cover £520 per year with no excess or £427 with a £60 excess.
2. BMW Main Cover - not sure on price
3. Basic Cover - not sure on price

They each provide the BMW Emergency assist which I think provides really good service (having used it three times in my 335i!) and it covers Europe also.
I also got a quote from Warranty Direct which for their "gold" package it offered comprehensive cover with the option of repair at a BMW dealer. It had a small excess (£25) and no breakdwon cover. I opted for the BMW cover in the end. I would recommend calling the numbr provided on your warranty renewal form and let them talk you through the three options. These have only just been released about 1 month back, they only used to offer one level of cover previously...of course you could always save the money and hope nothing too expensive goes wrong!!

Last edited by 2GPP; 04-08-2008 at 11:43 AM.
2GPP is offline   United Kingdom
      04-08-2008, 02:58 AM   #5
NFS
Major General

Drives: 335i m-sport LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2GPP View Post
Just renewed the warranty on the wives E46 convertible (3 years old), BMW now offer 3 levels of cover for all cars accross the range. The price goes up for cars with 60k+ and they will not cover cars with 100k+! (what does that say about their faith in their own prodcuts!!)
1. Comprehensive Cover £520 per year with no excess or £427 with a £60 excess.
2. BMW Main Cover - not sure on price
3. Basic Cover - not sure on price

They each provide the BMW Emergency assist which I think provides really good service (having used it three times in my 335i!) and it covers Europe also.
I also got a quote from Warranty Direct which for their "gold" package it offered comprehensive cover with the option of repair at a BMW dealer. It had a small excess (£25) and no breakdwon cover. I opted for the BMW cover in the end. I would recommend calling the numbr provided on your warranty renewal form and let them talk you through the three options. These have only just been released about 1 month back, they only used to offer one level of cover previously...of course you could always save the money and hope nothing too expensive goes wrong!!
Great news that they have sorted this out. The BMW insured warranty was always very good.
      04-08-2008, 01:37 PM   #6
vivekk
THE Viv

Drives: 330i SE

Garage List
The Emergency Service alone did cost about £150 (last October), but haven't checked to see if that's the current price.

If that's the current price, then you're paying £370 for the warranty alone.

I got equivalent (well, actually I think it's actually 'better') cover for my 330i for a little over £300.

Personally, I think you'll get a better deal with Warranty Direct, Paul.

All the best.

Viv

vivekk is offline   England
      04-08-2008, 03:42 PM   #7
stephen3rd
Private

Drives: BMW 320d Edition MSport

Warranty running out is always my excuse to get a new car.
      04-08-2008, 04:26 PM   #8
SoYank
Major General

Drives: 2009 E90 335i MT

Garage List
Send a message via Yahoo to SoYank Send a message via Skype™ to SoYank
Me, too. 295 days and counting. But I'm thinking of an early Christmas long about the middle or third week in September.
Quaife ATB LSD • Short Shift Knob • Hartge Anti-Roll Bars • AP Racing Front Brakes • 19" Style 269
SoYank is offline   United_States
      04-08-2008, 04:52 PM   #9
hmi1750
Major

Drives: M135i

I have had Warranty Direct cover on my VW Bora and it covered most wear and tear items too! So very good.
      04-08-2008, 04:58 PM   #10
- Paul -
Major General

Garage List
2005 320D SE  [5.00]
2005 645  [4.50]
Tried Warranty Direct and this will cost £347 or £30 a month for their top product

Extracare

"ExtraCare
for details of cover see Policy Document (Downloads a PDF)

The items under the following list are covered. Any item not specifically mentioned is not covered.

ENGINE
Cylinder head, internal bushings, oil pump, crankshaft and bearings, appet gear, valves & guides (excluding burnt or pitted valves), pistons & rings, cylinder bores/liners, con rods, distributor drive, starter ring gear, flywheel, autodrive plate, camshaft drive belts, camshaft & cam followers, cylinder head gasket, cylinder block, crankshaft pulley, turbo/intercooler units, rear main seal, rocker assembly, push rods, timing gears, timing belts & chains.
CLUTCH
The master and slave cylinder, clutch cable and pedal assembly.
TRANSMISSION (Manual, Automatic and Overdrive)
Manual Transmission: gears, synchromesh hubs & rings, selectors, shafts, bearings, drive chains plus gearlever and bushes.
Automatic Transmission: torque converters, brake bands, valve block, governor (manual & electric) oil pump and seals, drive chains, gears, input shaft oil seal, clutches, servos and modulator valve, bearings plus gearlever and bushes.
Overdrive: Gears, shafts and bearings.
FRONT WHEEL DRIVE UNIT
Crown wheel and pinion, differential unit, bushes and bearings, plus external drive shafts, couplings, C.V. joints and rubber boots, hubs, drive flange and universal joints.
REAR AXLE
Crown wheel and pinion, differential unit, shafts, bearings, C.V. joints and rubber boots, oil seal and rear hub, & drive flange.
FOUR WHEEL DRIVE SYSTEM
Front differential, inter-axle differential and lock, rear differential and lock, bearings and shafts, couplings, C.V. joints and rubber boots, hubs and drive flange.
PROPSHAFT
Propshaft, universal joints, centre bearings and oil seals.
SUSPENSION
Shock absorbers, upper and lower wishbones, bushes, springs, spheres, displacer units and wheel bearings, self levelling suspension unit, reservoir, pump and regulator valve.
BRAKING SYSTEM
Master cylinder; brake servo unit, diesel vacuum pump, callipers, wheel cylinders, pressure regulator, ABS pump and control unit. ABS pressure reducing and proportioning valves, handbrake control cables and linkages, brake pedal assembly, self-adjusting mechanisms, abs sensors.
COOLING SYSTEM
Radiator, thermostat, water pump, heater matrix, engine oil cooler, viscous fan, thermostat housing, temperature gauge, electronic control units and control linkages.
STEERING
Rack and pinion, steering box, idler box, column shaft, couplings, steering column tilt mechanism, power steering unit including pump, pressure pipes and reservoir.
FUEL SYSTEM
Mechanical and electrical fuel pumps, airflow meter, injectors (including injector cooling system), overrun cut-off valve, pressure regulator, sensors, throttle body, fuel gauge and tank sender unit. D.I.S. unit and controls, injection pump, injectors, glow plugs, electromagnetic cut-off.
ELECTRONIC IGNITION
Ignition ECU and Ignition Coils where fitted as standard by the manufacturer.
AIR CONDITIONING
Air conditioning compressor pump, condenser, electronic control unit, sensors, magnetic clutch and valves, evaporator and reservoir, fan control and sensors.
ELECTRICS
Internal failure of the starter motor, alternator, regulator, distributor, windscreen wiper motor and tailgate wiper motor, heating fan motor, cooling fan motor, horn, central locking solenoids and motors, electric window motors and sunroof motors, electric door mirror motors and aerial motors, front and rear windscreen washer motors, headlamp adjuster motors, cruise control unit, relays, rev counter, radiator cooling fan, indicator flasher unit.
CASINGS
Casings are covered provided they have been damaged as a result of failure of an insured part or by the consequential damage of an insured part failing.
OIL LEAKS
Notwithstanding exclusion 11 of the policy, this covers the cylinder head gasket and seal or gasket replacement that necessitates the removal of the engine, gearbox/drive unit and drive shafts or differential unit to carry out repairs.
BODYWORK
Tailgate suspension struts.

Only the components originally fitted as standard by the manufacturer are covered unless agreed in writing by us."
      04-08-2008, 05:02 PM   #11
- Paul -
Major General

Garage List
2005 320D SE  [5.00]
2005 645  [4.50]
This goes up to £416 if I want to use a BMW dealer for the warranty work.
      04-08-2008, 05:16 PM   #12
Gibbo
Colonel

Drives: Golf Ed35

Just a thought if an item is in the 'grey' area BMW offical warrenty may cover where as I assume warrenty direct will be straight down the line. The extra money may be worth this kind of protection but I may be clutching at straws.
      04-09-2008, 03:00 AM   #13
scotw
Lieutenant

Drives: E90 320D SG

Garage List
2007 E90 320D  [0.00]
If you are low milage like 35k I'm not sure I would bother (other than make sure the car is OK before the cover runs out). Course, it depends if you've had some trouble with the car and how tough a life it leads.

I kept my E46 for almost 4 years and didn't bother for the 4th year.
scotw is offline   United Kingdom
      04-09-2008, 08:46 AM   #14
- Paul -
Major General

Garage List
2005 320D SE  [5.00]
2005 645  [4.50]
It's always a gamble I suppose - The history of the car has been good - no major problems. I'm just a bit concerned that turbo may go etc which will result in big bills!!!!
      04-09-2008, 01:43 PM   #15
mjh93sa
Major General

Garage List
Quote:
It's always a gamble I suppose - The history of the car has been good - no major problems. I'm just a bit concerned that turbo may go etc which will result in big bills!!!!
I'm with you on that one. I went with warranty direct for peace of mind in the fourth year with the E46, just incase the swirl flaps or turbo let go (esp. as mine was probably on the wrong build side of some turbo changes).

Gone: Fiesta - Focus - E46 320dSE - E91 330dMSport - E82 135iMSport - R55 JCW Clubman
Now: M135i with lots of toys
mjh93sa is offline   England
      04-09-2008, 02:46 PM   #16
SoYank
Major General

Garage List
Other than the ELV issue last summer, the only problem I've had with my car is the iDrive. It's going back in next week for a Bluetooth problem. Fortunately, it's still under warranty but Warranty Direct wouldn't cover it.
Quaife ATB LSD • Short Shift Knob • Hartge Anti-Roll Bars • AP Racing Front Brakes • 19" Style 269
      05-13-2008, 05:41 AM   #17
- Paul -
Major General

Garage List
2005 320D SE  [5.00]
2005 645  [4.50]
Decide to go with Warranty Direct after a call from them - they have done the Extracare with BMW garage work for £26 a month.
      05-13-2008, 06:06 AM   #18
mjh93sa
Major General

Garage List
I found that playing a waiting game with them they kept coming back with a better offer, and as my Sister was doing the same at the time the coup-de-grace was to play the best terms of each deal against each other.

Gone: Fiesta - Focus - E46 320dSE - E91 330dMSport - E82 135iMSport - R55 JCW Clubman
      05-13-2008, 07:44 AM   #19
kend
Second Lieutenant

Drives: E93 330i SE auto

Look at the exclusions below from page 17 of the BMW insurance.
so any modifications or track days and you have no insurance!

an insured vehicle that has been
subject to alterations, has had
experimental equipment fitted or
has in any way been modified from
BMW’s approved specification, or
an insured vehicle used for
courier or private hire services, track
days, off road use, competitions or
racing of any kind
      05-13-2008, 06:41 PM   #20
SoYank
Major General

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kend View Post
Look at the exclusions below from page 17 of the BMW insurance.
so any modifications or track days and you have no insurance!

an insured vehicle that has been
subject to alterations, has had
experimental equipment fitted or
has in any way been modified from
BMW’s approved specification, or
an insured vehicle used for
courier or private hire services, track
days, off road use, competitions or
racing of any kind
Does that last bit mean a) you have no insurance during "track days, off road use, competitions or racing..." or b) do that and your insurance is forever invalid? Would a "treasure hunt" or "road rally" like activities of recent weeks qualify as a competition or racing and thus invalidate your insurance?
      05-14-2008, 07:18 AM   #21
mjh93sa
Major General

Garage List
As it is effectively a warranty insurance they could use the fact that is has been used at some point on track (if proven) to invalidate the insurance. Driving between a few points on a map on public roads whilst obeying the traffic laws would be stretching it a bit.

Also pretty much excludes any 4x4 that gets used properly, eg: off road!

05-14-2008, 09:18 AM   #22
SoYank
Major General

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjh93sa View Post
Driving between a few points on a map on public roads whilst obeying the traffic laws would be stretching it a bit.
Well, other UK insurance companies do quite a bit of stretching to get out of paying claims. Why should this one be any different?