E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > Issues, my car needs a doctor quick!!

12-02-2016, 03:37 PM   #1
BKBMW335I
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E93 335I

Issues, my car needs a doctor quick!!

Someone experienced needs to call me ASAP!!
The Mechanic was going to change my coils and new plugs but now my car is having some kind of Boost Leak but we're not able to detect where it's coming from.

Please someone who is heavily experienced call me.
PM me for my number.
Thanks
Mods: MHD Stg 2, xHP Flashtool Stage 3, VRSF 3" Chargepipe, Megan 4" Downpipes, Pure N55 Inlet, Outlet, VSRF 5" Stepped Intercooler, GFB Diverter, BMS N55 Intake, Michelin Pilot Super Sport Tires, BMS Sport Oil Cooler Valve, CF Spoiler, CF Kidney Grille, CF Mirror Covers, CF Eyelids, CF Wheel Hub Covers, CF Diffuser, M Sport Racing Strip, 20% Tints, and Golf Tee Mod
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2016, 09:31 AM   #2
BKBMW335I
Captain
United_States
Rep

Here is my real problem, I didn't have time to type it out due to having to go out of town and leave my car behind.

I took my car in for routine plugs and coil replacement, car was running fine despite the long starts (first indication of coils going bad) so I decided to just change both to be on the safe side.

After the plugs were installed car ran fine in idle but once load was on it and I hit the gas real hard immediately the car would sputter and then the CEL came on showing half-power to the engine.

So my mechanic said his diagnostic showed I needed new coils, coils were put in then it did the same thing as before, so when he ran the diagnostic again it came back as needing an new O2 Sensor so I bought one.

He replaced the coils and again everything appeared normal at idle and he ran the diagnostic but showed no need for the O2 Sensor, I decided to do a highway run and it did the same thing as the previous times.

So we checked to see which cylinders were misfiring and changed and checked only those coils and plugs and even swapped them around and back and forth to make sure none were faulty so we check all the connections at the CP and everything else because he came back with a Boost Leak but it was undetermined where.

We sprayed (vaporized fuel) all around the engine bay to see if once we hit the accelerator if any readings would change but none we could see.

I found somehow that the Meth plug was missing so I capped it but still when I ran it the same thing happened as before.

This is where I had to leave to go out of town and left the car with the Mechanic to continue troubleshooting it.

The last thing he did was send me a snapshot of the codes showing on the diagnostic that are attached here.

Please someone with your expertise offer some sound fix/solution because although he's not as experienced with BMW engines he is a really good mechanic who builds engines and mostly works with Mazda's rotary engines.

Thanks again in advance.
Attached Images

Mods: MHD Stg 2, xHP Flashtool Stage 3, VRSF 3" Chargepipe, Megan 4" Downpipes, Pure N55 Inlet, Outlet, VSRF 5" Stepped Intercooler, GFB Diverter, BMS N55 Intake, Michelin Pilot Super Sport Tires, BMS Sport Oil Cooler Valve, CF Spoiler, CF Kidney Grille, CF Mirror Covers, CF Eyelids, CF Wheel Hub Covers, CF Diffuser, M Sport Racing Strip, 20% Tints, and Golf Tee Mod
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2016, 11:31 AM   #3
bahn
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i 6MT

I would get a new mechanic. Generally speaking long starts are HPFP related. Does he have a CAN capable scanner? You probably have insufficient fuel pressure at WOT especially since the misfires are on multiple cylinders. If you can't diagnose this yourself you need to bring it to a mechanic that knows these cars. This might sound expensive but so does randomly replacing parts hoping it fixes the problem.
Appreciate 1
BKBMW335I156.50
      12-03-2016, 04:17 PM   #4
BKBMW335I
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bahn View Post
I would get a new mechanic. Generally speaking long starts are HPFP related. Does he have a CAN capable scanner? You probably have insufficient fuel pressure at WOT especially since the misfires are on multiple cylinders. If you can't diagnose this yourself you need to bring it to a mechanic that knows these cars. This might sound expensive but so does randomly replacing parts hoping it fixes the problem.

Thanks for the suggestion and you're right but right now my car is already there and the HPFP is something I hadn't even considered but now I will.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2016, 04:45 PM   #5
cahme
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 E90 335i Sport MT

I got "multiple cylinder misfires" and fuel injection deactivated codes when my HPFP went out:
Here is my thread .. although my car was running awful all of a sudden.
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1296355
Appreciate 1
BKBMW335I156.50
      12-03-2016, 05:16 PM   #6
MadToy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 340i Xdrive

Did your mechanic use antiseize on the plugs? This can cause multiple cylinder misfires too, which if this started right after a plug change, I'd be suspicious of that.
      12-04-2016, 06:23 PM   #7
BKBMW335I
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadToy View Post
Did your mechanic use antiseize on the plugs? This can cause multiple cylinder misfires too, which if this started right after a plug change, I'd be suspicious of that.
No we didn't even notice the plug missing at first but the misfires were coming before that, later we did use antiseize on the plug when we replaced it but still it wasn't misfiring as much as before but still it would throw the CEL and bog down under hard acceleration.
Appreciate 0