Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

TireRack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > E90 - BMW Performance Rims installed - finalyl

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

Wheel offset calculator courtesy of BimmerPost.com. You may use this calculator to calculate what tire sizes you might need if you upgrade your tires, or what wheel sizes/offsets are compatible with your car.
    Current Wheel Width  inches             Current Wheel Offset  mm.
         New Wheel Width  inches                  New Wheel Offset  mm.

TIRE WIDTH
/
ASPECT RATIO
- WHEEL DIAMETER
ORIGINAL TIRES
/
NEW TIRES
/
Based on your stock wheel setup, your new wheel will have:
Original Tires Diameter (in.)
      New Tires Diameter (in.)
  Difference in diameter (in.)
           Percent Difference %

Speedo @60mph will read: mph
Collapse/Expand the BimmerPost Wheel and Tire calculator

04-11-2008, 09:07 AM   #1
Thyrus

Drives: Alpina B3 Biturbo Coupe Allrad

E90 - BMW Performance Rims installed - finalyl

Hey guys (and girls),

As you may or may not recall, I have been looking for new rims for my car, 325 sapphireblack M-Sport E90.

After months and months of perusing the forum, your posts and - what feels like - 100rds of discussions (mostly with myself), I now have had my rims installed.

So, before getting straight to the pics (which are cellphone pics only for now).

WHAT I WANTED:

- 220M M3 rims. Love them love them love them!

What I also considered:

- BMW 230 - great rims, perfect to clean, look huge on the car - but alas, not that "special", and not "M"
- BMW 225 m - great rims also, M look, but the lip on the outside is too big imho, and this results in the rims looking smaller than 19". Also, this is the E92 rim of "choice" for a reason
- BMW 179 - good value for money, too heavy and "not looking right"

My "challenges":

1. I live in Germany - and the regulations about aftermarket and "non-OEM" rims here are as strict as they get
2. It is a company car - which means, no "non-reversible" changes on the car allowed - so, that ruled out the 220 M3 rims
3. Keeping the OEM look - when going to customer meetings with my E90

SO, I ended up with the 269s.

Contrary to the US, these were made available only days ago here in Germany (although they are manufactored in Austria, I checked when I had them installed). So, AFAIK, I am one of the first here in Europe with these (not that it matters anyway).

After negotiations with my dealer, I had them installed this morning. I showed up a little earlier, and took the chance to use the "AUTOBAHN" wax from Swissol on the rims in- and outside (should prevent this nasty brakedust biting into the finish).

So, here are my pros:

1. The finish. Also a con (see below)
2. The performance. I did have the chance to weigh them against the 230s, which apparently are the lightest BMW 19" OEM wheels, and the 269s were lighter. Had no scale available, but I would assume approx. 1 - 1.5 pounds less.
I have had the chance to take the car onto the Autobahn afterwards, and (although almost impossible due to Friday morning traffic) was able to get the car up to 250 km/h .- which is the top speed of the 325D and where it hits the "limiter". So, no noticable decrease in performance compared to my 17" wheels I had on before - neither acceleration, nor top-speed !!!
3. They are rare and will remain rare. You cannot get them "factory-installed" afaik, and typically, ppl buy the rims with the car. Now, it may be possible for your dealer to change them when he gets the car, but not directly from the factory.
4. They look the "business".

and the cons:
1. The finish. Depending on the angle (i.e. how much light is reflected from the polished spokes and the lip (which is reaaaly small), they appear "grey". In overcast weather such as we have today, I can look "dull". Now, my best friend loves this grey look. I am still torn. And the grey makes them look "dirty". May be only on a dark car, or on depending on the weather).
2. The need to keep clean! They are a "bitXX" to clean i tell you. Due to my silver-polished-light-reflecting madness, they get dirty quickly. But maybe thats just me.

SOOOO - here are the pics - again, cellphone pics , so pls dont mind the quality
Attached Images

Last edited by Thyrus; 04-11-2008 at 12:47 PM.
Thyrus is offline   Austria
      04-11-2008, 09:45 AM   #2
AltecBX
Colonel

Drives: BMW 335xi Sedan

Wish they had these in 18"...Nice whip
AltecBX is offline   United_States
      04-11-2008, 12:10 PM   #3
remmib
General

Drives: 2013 F10 520d M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltecBX View Post
They come in 18" for the e46, will fit the e90 with spacers.

F10 520d M-Sport Alpine White | HRE P43SC 20x9+20x11 | Michelin PSS 255/35+295/30 | KW V3 Coilover | M5 Front Sway Bar + M550d Rear Sway Bar | 3D Design Front Lip | BMW M Performance CF Spoiler | BMW M Performance Diffuser | BMW M Performance Black Grills | BMW M Performance Pedals |
remmib is offline   Norway
      04-11-2008, 01:12 PM   #4
MINNOW
Current E90 Fetishist

Drives: '07 323i / '04 MINI Cooper

Boss looking wheels.

Slightly off topic : in Europe, if you take delivery of a factory ordered car in the winter, does it come equipped with winter tires?
MINNOW is offline   Canada
      04-11-2008, 01:19 PM   #5
E91_E88_E21
Major

Drives: E91 m-sport, E88 m-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltecBX View Post
they are available in 18" you can use the e46 version
your bmw dealer can help
      04-11-2008, 02:52 PM   #6
akack79