E90Post

Extreme Power House

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Anybody ever dealt with BMW on a buy back? Dealer can't fix my car!

04-14-2008, 08:07 PM   #1
wantmye90
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 06 BMW 330

Anybody ever dealt with BMW on a buy back? Dealer can't fix my car!

I've taken my car in for a mysterious dash creak, and now, after a total of 15 days in the shop over three separate visits, they say they've found the source, but can't fix it.

The creak is in a long tubular section of the car's frame running A-pillar to A-pillar just beneath the windshield. The tubular section can only be seen if the dash or the black housing at the base of the windshield inside the engine bay is removed. They say it's something metal inside the tube which is rubbing or shifting when the body of the car flexes. There's nothing they can do (it's sealed) and are calling BMW to send in a field engineer. The engineer is at a meeting in Orlando, so it'll be another 7 days!

Dealer said they had a similar problem on some convertibles, and what BMW had them do was to drill small holes in the tube and spray lubricant inside. But on my car, they don't want to do anything like that until BMW checks it out first. I am worried they compromise the frame's integrity. And what if it comes back again?

This is the second time they've taken out my dash. The first time it went back in perfectly - no new rattles. I am hopeful this time too!

Anybody ever dealt with BMW on a buy back? Any advice? I'd like to try and force that issue at this point. Otherwise, the car has been near perfect! 36,000 miles, 06 330.
      04-14-2008, 08:28 PM   #2
nm328xi
Enlisted Member

Drives: 2007 328XI

I have. I bought a 2007 328xi and it exhibited a cracking noise from the rear parcel shelf area. It wasn't a big deal, but when I brought the car in to have the satellite radio and iPod interface installed, I asked them to fix it.

After taking the car apart for a month, and having the BMW field tech look at it and consult, they offered to replace it...their idea. I understand the field tech has the power to offer the buy back so it's best to wait for him.

I ordered a 2008 model just the way I wanted it (which was pretty much just the way the 2007 came...but with iPod and satellite radio factory installed...MUCH better) and it was a straight-across swap.

I signed papers that stated I was settling a "complaint" with BMW by swapping cars out, and I signed paperwork that changed the "collateral" of the loan from the old car to the new car, and the dealer took care of re-registering the tag and paid for that part themselves. I didn't give them any more money (except for an alarm, which I decided I wanted which I didn't have on the first car.)

I waited six weeks for the new car to come in. In the mean time, the dealer put the old car back together and I drove it until the new one arrived. While they had the old car apart and were putting it back together, they gave me 328xi loaners. I can't say enough good things about Santa Fe BMW. They was astonishingly great.

The ironic thing is, the 2008 also presents a cracking noise from the rear shelf area, but under different circumstances. The 2007 made the noise anytime driving over large pavement joints or cracks. The 2008 makes the noise when it moves from one temperature environment like the parking garage to another, like driving in full sun. The cracking noise may or may not sound when driving over road imperfections when the car is changing temperature.

At this point, though, I'm inclined to say "forget it!" and just live with it.

The 2007 had a lot fewer miles on it than yours, but that may or may not be a factor in BMW's buy-back decision making.

If I can find the source of the cracking noise myself, I'll fix it. But I'm not going to worry about it because I otherwise love this car and don't want to go through the ordeal of having the dealer try to fix it for a month again.

Good luck!
      04-14-2008, 09:36 PM   #3
wantmye90
Second Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by nm328xi View Post
I have. I bought a 2007 328xi and it exhibited a cracking noise from the rear parcel shelf area. It wasn't a big deal, but when I brought the car in to have the satellite radio and iPod interface installed, I asked them to fix it.

After taking the car apart for a month, and having the BMW field tech look at it and consult, they offered to replace it...their idea. I understand the field tech has the power to offer the buy back so it's best to wait for him.

I ordered a 2008 model just the way I wanted it (which was pretty much just the way the 2007 came...but with iPod and satellite radio factory installed...MUCH better) and it was a straight-across swap.

I signed papers that stated I was settling a "complaint" with BMW by swapping cars out, and I signed paperwork that changed the "collateral" of the loan from the old car to the new car, and the dealer took care of re-registering the tag and paid for that part themselves. I didn't give them any more money (except for an alarm, which I decided I wanted which I didn't have on the first car.)

I waited six weeks for the new car to come in. In the mean time, the dealer put the old car back together and I drove it until the new one arrived. While they had the old car apart and were putting it back together, they gave me 328xi loaners. I can't say enough good things about Santa Fe BMW. They was astonishingly great.

The ironic thing is, the 2008 also presents a cracking noise from the rear shelf area, but under different circumstances. The 2007 made the noise anytime driving over large pavement joints or cracks. The 2008 makes the noise when it moves from one temperature environment like the parking garage to another, like driving in full sun. The cracking noise may or may not sound when driving over road imperfections when the car is changing temperature.

At this point, though, I'm inclined to say "forget it!" and just live with it.

The 2007 had a lot fewer miles on it than yours, but that may or may not be a factor in BMW's buy-back decision making.

If I can find the source of the cracking noise myself, I'll fix it. But I'm not going to worry about it because I otherwise love this car and don't want to go through the ordeal of having the dealer try to fix it for a month again.

Good luck!
That's incredibly fortunate for you! I wish I would have the same luck. I originally took the car in with this complaint at about 20,000 miles, but they couldn't ever find the cause until this last trip in. I would hope BMW would look at how long I have been dealing with this problem.

If I were given the same option, I would ask to bump up to a nicely equipped 528 sport. I'd be willing to toss in a few $$ too, but feel like given my long run of dissatisfaction with my 330, BMW should make it a no brainer for me.

I am not interested in having them do a patch job on my car and hand it back to me. It's been torn down too many times now! The upside is my dealer's service manager has been a prince and he's giving me nice loaners.

Any advice on getting a word in with the engineer?
      04-14-2008, 09:53 PM   #4
edb5020
Private First Class

Drives: 2008 BMW 328xi

I also have a creak in my dash that just developed a few days ago in warmer temps. I have a 2008 328xi and it will be going in for service next week for a tranny software update. Is it irate to mention this creak also and ask to have them fix it? Or should I forget about it? It is VERY annoying and you can't NOT hear it, so they can't try and tell me nothing is there. What do you guys think?
      04-15-2008, 07:58 PM   #5
nm328xi
Enlisted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wantmye90 View Post
Any advice on getting a word in with the engineer?
I wish I had some, but I never spoke to the engineer. I was fortunate that I had an awe-inspiring service department...I know they got in a dispute with BMW because they put so many hours into my car which they weren't sure they were going to get reimbursed for. I suspect most dealerships wouldn't go to these lengths for their customers.

My best advice is go in and talk in person to the service manager...it's hard to ignore a person sitting in one's office, and tell them just how long it's been, that you are skeptical that drilling holes in parts of your car isn't going to return it to you in a condition that it was designed to be in (is it safe?) and what you want...i.e. and replacement.
      04-15-2008, 08:00 PM   #6
nm328xi
Enlisted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by edb5020 View Post
I also have a creak in my dash that just developed a few days ago in warmer temps. I have a 2008 328xi and it will be going in for service next week for a tranny software update. Is it irate to mention this creak also and ask to have them fix it? Or should I forget about it? It is VERY annoying and you can't NOT hear it, so they can't try and tell me nothing is there. What do you guys think?
My dash doesn't creak at 5,000+ miles...I'd mention it to them and see if they can fix it. I would be very wary about letting them take the whole thing apart though...sometimes taking stuff apart can make it worse, sometimes better. If they seem like they've heard of it before and know just what to do, sure...or let them do a little exploratory surgery or diagnosis but leave them with instructions to get your approval before moving on to every additional step.
      04-15-2008, 08:01 PM   #7
AdamJ
Second Lieutenant

Drives: BMW

They wont buy back your car for a creak in the dash, get real.
AdamJ is offline   United_States
      04-15-2008, 08:29 PM   #8
darkcloud
Colonel

Drives: 09 VW JSW

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to darkcloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamJ View Post
Maybe it's not the dash asshat. When my car was repaired after I was rear ended I had sounds that sounded like the rear parcel was shifting which turned out to be components that weren't tight enough on the frame. Sounds do echo.

I also have a dash creaking noise by my a-pillar as well. It comes from right where the pillar, dash, and plastic part by the windshield meet. I've asked the dealer to try to fix it before at around 10k miles and all they did was shove felt pieces to try and stop it. Yeah, that didn't work. At that point the creak seemed to be weather oriented and only was happening when cold. Now it is persistent and happens no matter the temp and rattles all F'n day and now I'm at 20k miles. Because of this thread I am now calling tomorrow and making them fix this shit, it's driving me insane. Plus I wouldn't mind a buy back and bump to a 335i, *crosses finger* creak is worse then a creak

retired 06 E90 325i

New: 09 VW Platinum Grey Jetta Sportwagen 2.0T SEL w/DSG, panoramic sunroof and Ipod adapter
darkcloud is offline   United_States
      04-15-2008, 09:31 PM   #9
AndrewAZ
Major

Drives: 335i

I have had my car die twice while driving down the road, I have had 2 major transmission issues(one resulted in a new rear diff), I have had 2 major electrical issues... My car has been in the shop around 30 days.. BMW refuses to buy it back.

In a few weeks when I have the time I am going gather all my paper work and start writing letters of notice.
      04-15-2008, 09:47 PM   #10
FirstClass
Brigadier General

Drives: 328xi

You're trying to get the car lemoned for a creaking sound.... You've seriously let your car in the shop for a month because of a creak? (More than one of you it sounds like) I'm in a state of stunned disbelief right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh valley View Post
shit, if i had that kind of money id buy a gtstreet for monday, an ascari a10 for tuesday, a DBS for wednesday and id just ride jessica alba the rest of the week.
      04-15-2008, 09:56 PM   #11
SteelTorque
Captain

Drives: 08 E92 335xi

Quote:
I've taken my car in for a mysterious dash creak, and now, after a total of 15 days in the shop over three separate visits, they say they've found the source, but can't fix it.

The creak is in a long tubular section of the car's frame running A-pillar to A-pillar just beneath the windshield. The tubular section can only be seen if the dash or the black housing at the base of the windshield inside the engine bay is removed. They say it's something metal inside the tube which is rubbing or shifting when the body of the car flexes. There's nothing they can do (it's sealed) and are calling BMW to send in a field engineer. The engineer is at a meeting in Orlando, so it'll be another 7 days!

Dealer said they had a similar problem on some convertibles, and what BMW had them do was to drill small holes in the tube and spray lubricant inside. But on my car, they don't want to do anything like that until BMW checks it out first. I am worried they compromise the frame's integrity. And what if it comes back again?

This is the second time they've taken out my dash. The first time it went back in perfectly - no new rattles. I am hopeful this time too!

Anybody ever dealt with BMW on a buy back? Any advice? I'd like to try and force that issue at this point. Otherwise, the car has been near perfect! 36,000 miles, 06 330.
You can't do a buy back at that kind of mileage.
      04-15-2008, 09:59 PM   #12
FirstClass
Brigadier General

Drives: 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTorque View Post
You can't do a buy back at that kind of mileage.
Not to mention lemon laws are limited to what, first year of ownership right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh valley View Post
shit, if i had that kind of money id buy a gtstreet for monday, an ascari a10 for tuesday, a DBS for wednesday and id just ride jessica alba the rest of the week.
      04-15-2008, 10:12 PM   #13
nyalpine90
Major General

Drives: '15 X3 28i cCB

Garage List
2012 X3  [3.83]
Send a message via MSN to nyalpine90
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewAZ View Post
I have had my car die twice while driving down the road, I have had 2 major transmission issues(one resulted in a new rear diff), I have had 2 major electrical issues... My car has been in the shop around 30 days.. BMW refuses to buy it back.

In a few weeks when I have the time I am going gather all my paper work and start writing letters of notice.
file lemon law..you can get a new car
      04-15-2008, 10:42 PM   #14
AdamJ
Second Lieutenant

Drives: BMW

I suggest you read up on the lemon law.
AdamJ is offline   United_States
      04-15-2008, 10:49 PM   #15
AndrewAZ
Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstClass View Post
Not to mention lemon laws are limited to what, first year of ownership right?
Most states is 2 years or 24k miles..
      04-15-2008, 10:50 PM   #16
AndrewAZ
Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyalpine90 View Post
file lemon law..you can get a new car
My states laws suck.. I have to wait for it to be in the shop then file. At least thats the advice on my attorney.
      04-16-2008, 12:52 AM   #17
jct0518
Private First Class

Drives: 2008 328i

Quote:
You're trying to get the car lemoned for a creaking sound.... You've seriously let your car in the shop for a month because of a creak? (More than one of you it sounds like) I'm in a state of stunned disbelief right now.
+1
      04-16-2008, 01:27 AM   #18
AndrewAZ
Major

Quote:
I am sure if you car rattled every time you drove it after paying probably $40K for it you wouldnt be happy.

I had a hell of a rattle that drove me crazy. Its no excuse for a car of this caliber to have the quality issues they suffer. Especially when honda and toyota can build cars for $15k less that have better build quality. (please dont confuse build quality with all around performance and handling).
      04-16-2008, 02:22 AM   #19
Robert
Major General

Drives: 135i, current is350

Any car will creak and rattle over time, you may want to get use to it. Just imagine your car spent 30 days in a shop, got a new car with a creak still then your fuel pump broke. They will be really sick of you :-)
      04-16-2008, 06:53 AM   #20
wantmye90
Second Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamJ View Post
Please allow me to direct you to post number 2 in this thread where one person did get a buy back for a rear shelf rattle:

"After taking the car apart for a month, and having the BMW field tech look at it and consult, they offered to replace it...their idea. I understand the field tech has the power to offer the buy back so it's best to wait for him."

I too would be surprised if BMW offered a buy back. My car does have 36K in miles, but I have records proving that my complaints with this issue started when it had 20K miles. The rattle is not in the dash. It is in the frame. And reading the BMW warranty, it guarantees that they will repair or replace under warranty. If they can't repair it, that leaves replace it. What are they gonna go - replace the frame?
      06-19-2013, 03:20 PM   #21
icross

Drives: 2009 BMW 325i iSport

Quote:

Was the noise like this?
http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XNTYzNjY4MzY0.html
      06-19-2013, 03:23 PM   #22
fazman
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: 335 e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by icross View Post
Back from the dead!
fazman is offline   United_States