E90Post

European Auto Source

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90/E92/E93 Marketplace (For Sale / Trade / Wanted) > SPONSORS Classifieds/Groupbuys/Specials Area > Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Parts > xHP Flashtool - Flash your automatic trans! Official thread

01-26-2017, 03:14 PM   #1
RBT-Tuning
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Austria
Rep

Drives: 325d N57 / 335i xDrive

xHP Flashtool
is the worldwide first and complete Tuning-Solution for your BMW with ZF6HP automatic transmission.

After 1.5 years of community driven development here on E90Post.com and some more 6 months and thousand of additional development hours, we are proud to announce the first all-in-one solution for BMW 6-speed automatic transmissions.

xHP Flashtool put's the power to fully customize your automatic transmission at your hands. Connect your Android smartphone to your car and customize around 100 maps by yourself or choose from pre-defined OTS maps in the xHP in-App Store.

Starting in February 2017 with support for 325d/330d/335d (E9x series) we will continuously work towards support of the whole BMW range. Next on the list are N54/N55 equipped E9x and E8x series cars, starting in March! The ZF6HP was BMW's automatic transmission of choice for their complete lineup for nearly a decade. From the 118d up to the mighty Alpina variants, BMW used these transmissions nearly everywhere.

Download on Play Store

App Main features:
  • Ability to flash your transmission controller (TCU) on your BMW with custom files.
  • The flash method is 100% safe. The TCU can always be restored to a working state, even if the cable get's pulled during a flash procedure.
  • Read/Delete TCU trouble codes (free)
  • Backup your TCU and restore to stock at any time you want
  • Choose from pre-defined maps in the xHP InApp-Store, or build your own files along with the community. From the day the app get's released you will be able to download a XDF file for user with TunerPro from our website.
  • Switch between maps in 2 minutes.
  • Pricing: 119 USD for the main flash license, which enables you to do as many custom flashes as you want. The OTS maps will range from 49 - 89 USD, depending on type and vehicle. Or you can choose the "Super License" for 249 USD, to get everything in one sweep. This offers a price-advantage of 77 USD over single purchases.

Required Hardware:

OTS Map Features

OTS Maps will of course have different setups, depending on the vehicle, but in general they will share the following features:

Stage 1 Setup:
  • Optimized D Shiftpoints to facilitate sporty, yet economy style driving
  • Optimized Shift Strategy for up/downhill driving
  • Optimized Warmup Behaviour
  • Optimized Torque Converter Lockup in 1st/2nd/3rd gear
  • Lowered minimum RPM limit manual mode
  • Adapted Torque Limits for Tuned engines
  • Kickdown delete in Manual Mode
  • Start in 1st Gear in Manual Mode
  • Gear Display in Dash in D/S/M Modes
  • 6HP21 TQ Limits: 413 ftlb (560 Nm), 6HP28 TQ Limits: 626 ftlb (850 Nm)

Stage 2 Setup:
  • Optimized D & S Shiftpoints for better acceleration in part and full throttle situations
  • 25% faster, firmer, sportier upshifts in D/S/M mode
  • Faster paddle response time
  • Raised Torque Limits for Tuned engines
  • Kickdown delete in D & Manual Mode
  • Start in 1st Gear in Manual Mode
  • Gear Display in Dash in D/S/M Modes
  • 6HP21 TQ Limits: 479 ftlb (650 Nm), 6HP28 TQ Limits: 737 ftlb (1000 Nm)

Stage 3 setup:
  • Optimized D & S Shiftpoints for better acceleration in part and full throttle situations
  • 25% faster shifts in D mode
  • 50% faster & very firm upshifts in S/M Mode
  • Instant paddle response time
  • Removed Rev - Limiters in M (True Manual Mode)
  • Race-like rev-match Downshifts (Throttle Blip) first time ever on Diesel BMWs
  • Lowered minimum RPM limit manual mode (5/6th gear)
  • Adapted Torque Limits for Tuned engines
  • Kickdown delete in D & Manual Mode
  • Gear Display in Dash in D/S/M Modes"
  • 6HP21 TQ Limits: removed, 6HP28 TQ Limits: removed

App Screenshots from Sony xPeria M2:

Splash Screen:

Main Screen:

xHP In-App Shop:

Fault Code reading & sharing:

Glimpse of the TunerPro Maps:

Youtube Tutorial 1:

Youtube Tutorial 2:

Stage 3 Cal. on N57 Diesel:

Alpina Flash vs. xHP Flash on 335i:

Stage 3 Demo on highly modded 135i

FAQ:

Q: Can I test xHP before buying anything?
A: Yes. The download of xHP is completely free. You can do a full read of your TCU and read/delete fault codes without any license.

Q: May I return to stock any time with xHP?
A: xHP creates a full backup before attempting any flash procedure. You can flash back your original file at any time.

Q: Do I have to connect my Android device with xHP to my car all the time?
A: No. You only need to connect, when you’re flashing, or reading data from your vehicle. During normal driving, you don’t have to have a live connection, or even carry the device with you.

Q: I’m going to sell my car. May I re-use my bought License on my next vehicle?
A: Yes. Just uninstall xHP before giving away your car. You can then connect your License with your next vehicle.

Q: How do I check if my vehicle is supported?
A: The best way is to download the xHP app and connect it to your vehicle. xHP will tell you instant if your vehicle is supported. Alternatively, you can head to www.xhpflashtool.com and check our vehicle list. We do our best to keep this list as correct and up-to-date as possible. However, BMW changed TCUs regularly during the production lifecycle and there may be cases where your vehicle is on the list but still not supported. These cases are rare, but cannot be avoided 100%.

Q: How about reliability, will I shorten the life of my transmission using xHP?
A: OTS Stage 1 and Stage 2 setups won’t have any effect on the lifetime of transmission components. Not on the TCU, nor on the shafts or clutches. Keep in mind, that automatic transmissions are highly complicated units, with a few hundred components inside. Some of these components are designed to wear out (like clutches) through making use of them. Your driving style and proper maintenance have the biggest impact on the life-time of transmission components. Stage 3 files remove limiters and safety measures and therefore the driver is responsible (like in a manual car) for taking care of his transmission. Besides that, there are no negative effects on transmission lifetime to be expected from Stage 3 files.

Q: Am I allowed to change between different OTS and custom tunes?
A: You can switch between tunes as often as you like and you are allowed to buy multiple OTS tunes and manage them on the same device.

Q: Am I able to log data with xHP?
A: We're working on an additional logger module, which will be released during 2017.

Q: I'm running an Alpina flash currently, do i have to revert to stock before using xHP?
A: No. xHP saves the Alpina flash as backup and then overwrites it.

Q: Is my car supported right now?
A: Please look into our vehicle database on www.xhpflashtool.com

Q: How about early N54 cars? (pre 03.2007 335i)
A: Starting with End of July flashes for those cars will be available to.

If you have additional questions, feel free to ask here directly, shoot us a PM, contact us through our Website or follow us on Facebook!

Last edited by RBT-Tuning; 07-25-2017 at 08:23 AM.
Appreciate 8
      01-26-2017, 06:17 PM   #2
fastestbox
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i Pre-LCI '07

Will this work with the 6HP19 in a pre-03/07 335i?
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2017, 06:26 PM   #3
boro92
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: audi s4 lol!

No love for the gm trans?
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2017, 06:48 PM   #4
Sinbad666
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw 335i N54

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastestbox View Post
Will this work with the 6HP19 in a pre-03/07 335i?

I know it has a different tcu but please please please do something for the early 335i!! Please!
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2017, 05:29 AM   #5
RBT-Tuning
Austria
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinbad666 View Post
I know it has a different tcu but please please please do something for the early 335i!! Please!
I wouldn't exclude it forever, but theres nothing in the pipeline for the next 6 months on that. That's a totally different project. Sorry.

But regarding the build date, there seem to be cars in the market built pre 3/07 with the new TCU version. I can't nail that down exactly yet, but as we gather more data from the market we will know what cars got the new TCU version when exactly.
      01-30-2017, 12:12 AM   #6
natedog7700
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 335i RB's 550whp

Is there still time to become a beta tester? My trans slips on E40 when im putting down 525whp. It holds around 4-450whp now that im detuned. I would like to give this a try if theres some chance it could help this issue. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2017, 06:10 AM   #7
RBT-Tuning
Austria
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by natedog7700 View Post
Is there still time to become a beta tester? My trans slips on E40 when im putting down 525whp. It holds around 4-450whp now that im detuned. I would like to give this a try if theres some chance it could help this issue. Thanks!
Sorry, beta for N54/N55 is closed already.
      01-30-2017, 03:48 PM   #8
natedog7700
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBT-Tuning View Post
Sorry, beta for N54/N55 is closed already.
No worries, ill be looking forward to it in March. Does this flash have any effect on transmission torque limits? Or will it still be similar to Alpina but with different characteristics.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2017, 06:36 PM   #9
RBT-Tuning
Austria
Rep

Quote:
No worries, ill be looking forward to it in March. Does this flash have any effect on transmission torque limits? Or will it still be similar to Alpina but with different characteristics.
Torque limits will be raised on OTS maps. Race with "no" limit.
      01-30-2017, 08:27 PM   #10
natedog7700
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBT-Tuning View Post
Torque limits will be raised on OTS maps. Race with "no" limit.

I have a question about current tuning for our transmissions. From what i know, people are already manipulating line pressure and shifting characteristics. Ive had my trans slipping issue fixed through email tuning and was told the "torque load limit" wasnt adjusted high enough or something. Was i being lied to or can people already adjust line pressures today? If so, how is this different?

Last edited by natedog7700; 01-31-2017 at 03:07 PM.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2017, 05:59 AM   #11
RBT-Tuning
Austria
Rep

Quote:
I have a question about current tuning for our transmissions. From what i know, people are already manipulating line pressure and shifting characteristics. Ive had my trans slipping issue fixed through email tuning and was told the "torque load limit" wasnt adjusted high enough of something. Was i being lied to or can people already adjust line pressures today? If so, how is this different?
Currently, transmissions don't get tuned. But to a certain degree you can trick the transmission by sending false torque values from the ECU.
      02-01-2017, 04:11 PM   #12
DWR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 335d

Quote:
I have a question about current tuning for our transmissions. From what i know, people are already manipulating line pressure and shifting characteristics. Ive had my trans slipping issue fixed through email tuning and was told the "torque load limit" wasnt adjusted high enough or something. Was i being lied to or can people already adjust line pressures today? If so, how is this different?
If you are asking can line pressures be manipulated, the answer is a qualified yes. It cannot be done strictly mechanically, because the TCU will either learn it's way around the mod or issue a DTC. No disrepect, but properly tuning a clutch to clutch shifted transmission is way more than adjusting pressures.

I think the biggest difference with the xHP is the control it gives the operator. Second, if your tuner isn't modifying the calibration of the TCU, then they may be implementing a band-aide fix. Finally, there is something bigger going on here. This started as a community led effort and we are fortunate that someone has championed a service that essentially makes TCU tuning (not the flashing method) open source. That means things aren't secrets - the situation are have found yourself in.
Appreciate 1
      02-01-2017, 04:38 PM   #13
grizzjr1
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 335D

I have two 2009 335Ds, would I need to purchase two licenses? Thanks so much for your hard work
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2017, 05:48 PM   #14
RBT-Tuning
Austria
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzjr1 View Post
I have two 2009 335Ds, would I need to purchase two licenses? Thanks so much for your hard work
Well, licenses will be tied to the VIN, so you have to buy License & Maps separate for each car and the first release will only support one vehicle per device.
      02-02-2017, 05:48 PM   #15
natedog7700
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWR View Post
If you are asking can line pressures be manipulated, the answer is a qualified yes. It cannot be done strictly mechanically, because the TCU will either learn it's way around the mod or issue a DTC. No disrepect, but properly tuning a clutch to clutch shifted transmission is way more than adjusting pressures.

I think the biggest difference with the xHP is the control it gives the operator. Second, if your tuner isn't modifying the calibration of the TCU, then they may be implementing a band-aide fix. Finally, there is something bigger going on here. This started as a community led effort and we are fortunate that someone has championed a service that essentially makes TCU tuning (not the flashing method) open source. That means things aren't secrets - the situation are have found yourself in.
1) Yeah thats what i was asking, im not to familiar with the coding side of things so it gets quite confusing to some like me.

2) My trans would start to slip after repeated runs over 500whp Do you think the TCU is "learning" or more of a mechanical side of things? Over heating causing the clutches to slip? It was so weird. After i flashed my MHD it would grab fine but back to back runs it would start to slip again. So odd.

3) Totally agree!
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2017, 04:31 AM   #16
RimasRS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i MT 2009 AW

How we can check our TCU version?

And what about X3 e83 3.0 sd 210kw
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2017, 11:27 AM   #17
RBT-Tuning
Austria
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RimasRS View Post
How we can check our TCU version?

And what about X3 e83 3.0 sd 210kw
You can check it through the BMW tools (Inpa, Tool32 etc), at the dealer, or through xHP then.

X3 will follow somewhere in 2017.
      02-05-2017, 01:42 PM   #18
RBT-Tuning
Austria
Rep

Cool

Shop is ready, OTS Maps are ready. Beta will start in the next days!

02-07-2017, 09:15 AM   #19
blueh88
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 330d M Sport Auto

I am really excited about this. Cannot wait...hope the price is right...
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2017, 10:26 AM   #20
RBT-Tuning
Austria
Rep

We've released the prices yesterday on Facebook!
Attached Images

Last edited by RBT-Tuning; 02-10-2017 at 10:48 AM.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2017, 11:50 AM   #21
blueh88
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 330d M Sport Auto

Ahh okay brilliant. Following your FB page so I can get updated with the release

So to be clear, one would need to purchase the license for $119, then whichever map they want on top of that? For example, I am looking at the Sports map. That should optimise all D/S/M modes. However, does that mean in D mode it will hold onto gears longer than stock? As that wouldn't be great for cruising on the motorway...
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2017, 11:55 AM   #22
RBT-Tuning
Austria
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueh88 View Post
Ahh okay brilliant. Following your FB page so I can get updated with the release

So to be clear, one would need to purchase the license for $119, then whichever map they want on top of that? For example, I am looking at the Sports map. That should optimise all D/S/M modes. However, does that mean in D mode it will hold onto gears longer than stock? As that wouldn't be great for cruising on the motorway...
Exactly. Or you can play around by yourself and find your personal best cal. For that, the general license is enough.

No cal will compromise daily driving in D mode. Sport and Race are fully useable for daily commute in D. It's just that there is a bigger gap between D and S/M mode in the Sport and Race cal.