E90Post
 


Bimmer Retrofit
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Metallic Ticking noise coming from engine?



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-10-2011, 08:03 AM   #1761
THX-1
325i E90 M6
THX-1's Avatar
0
Rep
9
Posts

 
Drives: 325i E90-Titan Silver
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Romania(Europe)

iTrader: (0)

Hy,has enyone tried to put thicker or thinner oil?Maybe putting a different oil,the valve lifters will work much easily and lubricate much better.Did someone tried the 0W40 LL04 on the N52 engine? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2011, 01:08 PM   #1762
82DMC12
New Member
0
Rep
18
Posts

 
Drives: soon to be purchased
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: ND

iTrader: (0)

I'm thinking about getting a 2006 330i with 39K miles. It is too old for CPO and is 6 months out of warranty. This thread makes me not want to buy it. If I do, which aftermarket warranty should I buy which might take care of this for me?

I also live 3 hours from nearest dealer. Between ticking and HPFP, and living in ND where the temp gets below zero in the winter, I'm not sure if it is a good idea to have a BMW around here.

Andy
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2011, 01:36 PM   #1763
E92Vancouver
First Lieutenant
E92Vancouver's Avatar
12
Rep
316
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 E92 328, 2011 Acura MDX
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Vancouver

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by THX-1 View Post
Hy,has enyone tried to put thicker or thinner oil?Maybe putting a different oil,the valve lifters will work much easily and lubricate much better.Did someone tried the 0W40 LL04 on the N52 engine? Thanks
Oil will not and cannot compensate for out of spec valve lash from a defective lifter.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2011, 01:37 PM   #1764
E92Vancouver
First Lieutenant
E92Vancouver's Avatar
12
Rep
316
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 E92 328, 2011 Acura MDX
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Vancouver

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 82DMC12 View Post
I'm thinking about getting a 2006 330i with 39K miles. It is too old for CPO and is 6 months out of warranty. This thread makes me not want to buy it. If I do, which aftermarket warranty should I buy which might take care of this for me?

I also live 3 hours from nearest dealer. Between ticking and HPFP, and living in ND where the temp gets below zero in the winter, I'm not sure if it is a good idea to have a BMW around here.

Andy
I would not touch a BMW out of warranty. Too much technology. The other issue is Valvetronic failure. Not expensive to fix but when it fails, you are left stranded because a little electric motor failed.

Look at the warranty from CoverageOne.

Last edited by E92Vancouver; 02-10-2011 at 04:12 PM.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2011, 02:14 PM   #1765
DL
Captain
DL's Avatar
United_States
8
Rep
866
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 AW E92 N52
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Upstate NY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92Vancouver View Post
I would not touch a BMW out of warranty. Too much technology. The other issue is Valvetronic failure. Not expensive to fix but when it fails, you are left stranded because a little electric motor failed.

Look at the warranties from CoveragOne.
+1000
__________________
E9X Picture Game: 63 points (64-1)
My N52 before BMW USA replaced the cylinder head:www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhLP-RkFGXM
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2011, 02:23 PM   #1766
DL
Captain
DL's Avatar
United_States
8
Rep
866
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 AW E92 N52
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Upstate NY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alarroyo View Post
Well I have a 2006 330i with a little over 23k miles and have the ticking noise. Went the third party warranty way denied because it was not a breakdown. Went the BMW NA way and the say NO and decision final even though is a BMW engineering flaw. Now I'm suck with at least an 1,100 hundred dollar bill so far which will be put it back together with no repairs. What else I can do? There is no way that a car with that low miles could make such a loud ticking.

82DMC12 the above is for you.
__________________
E9X Picture Game: 63 points (64-1)
My N52 before BMW USA replaced the cylinder head:www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhLP-RkFGXM
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2011, 04:12 PM   #1767
E92Vancouver
First Lieutenant
E92Vancouver's Avatar
12
Rep
316
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 E92 328, 2011 Acura MDX
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Vancouver

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DL View Post
82DMC12 the above is for you.
My fear exactly!
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2011, 04:16 PM   #1768
E92Vancouver
First Lieutenant
E92Vancouver's Avatar
12
Rep
316
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 E92 328, 2011 Acura MDX
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Vancouver

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 82DMC12 View Post
I'm thinking about getting a 2006 330i with 39K miles. It is too old for CPO and is 6 months out of warranty. This thread makes me not want to buy it. If I do, which aftermarket warranty should I buy which might take care of this for me?

I also live 3 hours from nearest dealer. Between ticking and HPFP, and living in ND where the temp gets below zero in the winter, I'm not sure if it is a good idea to have a BMW around here.

Andy
Don't do it. If you really want a BMW, get one on a 48 month lease. After 48 months, you will be sick of it.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2011, 04:50 PM   #1769
82DMC12
New Member
0
Rep
18
Posts

 
Drives: soon to be purchased
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: ND

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92Vancouver View Post
Don't do it. If you really want a BMW, get one on a 48 month lease. After 48 months, you will be sick of it.
I hear ya. That sucks. I think the E90 is such a great looking car, awesome interior, real looker with great performance. But without a dealer in North Dakota it looks like I will have to write off the whole brand because of reliability concerns. No wonder hardly anyone has a BMW around here, even though there is plenty of money. Lots of MB, Audi, Porsche.... rare to see a bimmer. I have no problem affording the car but I can't afford to ship it back to Minneapolis every time it has a problem.

Guess I'll stick with my 08 Subaru Legacy for a while longer. Seems to be the only car reliable enough for a North Dakota winter. 35K miles and not a single problem....

Andy
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2011, 04:58 PM   #1770
bobbettafish
New Member
United_States
0
Rep
6
Posts

 
Drives: 328xi
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Indiana

iTrader: (0)

I'm stuck with an '07 328xi --64,000 miles with a knocking engine. No more warranty! UGH!
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2011, 09:45 PM   #1771
DUI Elite
///M at Heart
DUI Elite's Avatar
22
Rep
1,714
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 SGM E90
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Chicago, IL

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92Vancouver View Post
Not true. The lifters are in the head and not in the combustion chamber. The problem is oil circulation in that journal. See lifters circled in orange.
x2

quit misinforming people 325ispeed. I use the on board computer to check my temperature and make sure I always get it to at least above 60 Celsius, and I havent had the ticking problem since.

From what I understand, and have experienced, the problem is poor design on BMWs part for lubrication. When the car gets to operating temperature (between 75 and 125 Celsius in the hidden computer) the car has no trouble lubricating components.


Amazed how people will believe "theory" over experience. If checking the temperature of your car to make sure its warm (even on short trips) is a hassle, don't get an E9X BMW.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2011, 10:26 PM   #1772
E90 87ss
Lieutenant
E90 87ss's Avatar
6
Rep
554
Posts

 
Drives: 325i, W212 AMG
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ/Philly

iTrader: (0)

I had my lifters replaced due to ticking... good for a few weeks and a quieter tick returned... I recently moved and now have a 30 minute commute instead of a 2 mile commute and the ticking has not returned even when sitting outside in the cold for a few days. I realize this engine should never make a ticking noise, but longer drives has completely cured it.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2011, 10:50 PM   #1773
DUI Elite
///M at Heart
DUI Elite's Avatar
22
Rep
1,714
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 SGM E90
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Chicago, IL

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90 87ss View Post
I had my lifters replaced due to ticking... good for a few weeks and a quieter tick returned... I recently moved and now have a 30 minute commute instead of a 2 mile commute and the ticking has not returned even when sitting outside in the cold for a few days. I realize this engine should never make a ticking noise, but longer drives has completely cured it.
Thank you for posting your experience. Greatly appreciated.

The only issue I seem to have is whether damage is caused when ticking DOES occur. Its not hard to prevent the ticking. If OP can please post experiences like this in the 1st page, there wouldnt be so much confusion in this thread.

When BMW tells you to just jump in and drive off, and you do what they say, you're cheating yourself. I love BMW, but I won't take every little thing they take to heart. Including how to maintain a car. They're a business after all. They'd prefer you sell the car and buy a new BMW
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2011, 07:46 AM   #1774
Delta0311
Brigadier General
Delta0311's Avatar
56
Rep
3,873
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 BMW 335xi E92
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NJ

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUI Elite View Post
x2

quit misinforming people 325ispeed. I use the on board computer to check my temperature and make sure I always get it to at least above 60 Celsius, and I havent had the ticking problem since.

From what I understand, and have experienced, the problem is poor design on BMWs part for lubrication. When the car gets to operating temperature (between 75 and 125 Celsius in the hidden computer) the car has no trouble lubricating components.


Amazed how people will believe "theory" over experience. If checking the temperature of your car to make sure its warm (even on short trips) is a hassle, don't get an E9X BMW.
How do you get the on board pc to show you the temps?
__________________
Space Gray 2011 335xi E92
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2011, 08:47 AM   #1775
tsuma
Enlisted Member
0
Rep
46
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 E91 Alpine White 6MT
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Houston

iTrader: (0)

http://e90.wetpaint.com/page/BC+hidden+menus
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2011, 09:25 PM   #1776
babybeast3
New Member
United_States
0
Rep
17
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 328xi; '04 wrx; '08 z06
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: midwest

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92Vancouver View Post
Oil will not and cannot compensate for out of spec valve lash from a defective lifter.
I have 5w-40 in mine and it still ticks.

I also do not think the lash is out of spec causing the noise. I think it's an oiling issue, not an out-of-spec, or part failure issue... I'm not entirely sure though. Of course, based upon the posts in this thread and forum, that hasn't stopped many posters before me .

I assume there is nothing out of spec because my service dept says it won't hurt the engine, and an out of spec valvetrain will indeed, hurt the engine.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2011, 09:32 PM   #1777
babybeast3
New Member
United_States
0
Rep
17
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 328xi; '04 wrx; '08 z06
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: midwest

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsuma View Post

^ thanks.

""Originally Posted by DUI Elite View Post
x2

quit misinforming people 325ispeed. I use the on board computer to check my temperature and make sure I always get it to at least above 60 Celsius, and I havent had the ticking problem since.

From what I understand, and have experienced, the problem is poor design on BMWs part for lubrication. When the car gets to operating temperature (between 75 and 125 Celsius in the hidden computer) the car has no trouble lubricating components.


Amazed how people will believe "theory" over experience. If checking the temperature of your car to make sure its warm (even on short trips) is a hassle, don't get an E9X BMW.""

-Seriously, if you want us to follow this advice, maybe get BMW to make it easier to check the water temp than launching a space shuttle. My car moves the mirrors when I put it in reverse, but can't tell me when it's warm? Seriously misplaced proirities - just like almost all modern cars. I pretty much hate all modern cars. Not for what they are, but for the user interface. And it's only going to get worse.

Goodbye manual transmissions. Hello lane-departure assist, automatic brakes and BAL steering wheels. After all, we can't be trusted with driving.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2011, 10:12 AM   #1778
DUI Elite
///M at Heart
DUI Elite's Avatar
22
Rep
1,714
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 SGM E90
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Chicago, IL

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by babybeast3 View Post
^ thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUI Elite
x2

quit misinforming people 325ispeed. I use the on board computer to check my temperature and make sure I always get it to at least above 60 Celsius, and I havent had the ticking problem since.

From what I understand, and have experienced, the problem is poor design on BMWs part for lubrication. When the car gets to operating temperature (between 75 and 125 Celsius in the hidden computer) the car has no trouble lubricating components.


Amazed how people will believe "theory" over experience. If checking the temperature of your car to make sure its warm (even on short trips) is a hassle, don't get an E9X BMW.""
-Seriously, if you want us to follow this advice, maybe get BMW to make it easier to check the water temp than launching a space shuttle. My car moves the mirrors when I put it in reverse, but can't tell me when it's warm? Seriously misplaced proirities - just like almost all modern cars. I pretty much hate all modern cars. Not for what they are, but for the user interface. And it's only going to get worse.

Goodbye manual transmissions. Hello lane-departure assist, automatic brakes and BAL steering wheels. After all, we can't be trusted with driving.
Lol, now THAT I wish I could do. I'm sorry the process isn't easier, but I mean not worrying about the ticking seems worth it in my view.

I agree, the wave of the future will make driving MORE dangerous as people with less skill see fit to drive by depending on these systems.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2011, 08:39 PM   #1779
babybeast3
New Member
United_States
0
Rep
17
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 328xi; '04 wrx; '08 z06
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: midwest

iTrader: (0)

^^ yes!
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2011, 08:54 AM   #1780
Neutrino45
Major
Neutrino45's Avatar
25
Rep
1,446
Posts

 
Drives: XXX
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: milky way

iTrader: (2)

Here is my experience with this. The HVA exhaust lifters and hydr. valve pushrods were replaced @ 30,943 miles on 2/10/2010. I've never heard the ticking noise before. The replacement was initiated by the dealer when the car was there for some other issues.

The cylinder head was just replaced @ 49,749 miles on 2/16/2011. I was lucky to have it replaced before my initial warranty ran out. I heard the ticking sound as I was picking up my car from the service center. The cylinder head was replaced and I got a free oil change out of it. : )

Do I need to go through a break in procedure after they replace the cylinder head?
__________________
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2011, 12:34 PM   #1781
Broder
New Member
0
Rep
12
Posts

 
Drives: BMW 330i 06/07 M-Sport
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Brazil

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neutrino45 View Post
Here is my experience with this. The HVA exhaust lifters and hydr. valve pushrods were replaced @ 30,943 miles on 2/10/2010. I've never heard the ticking noise before. The replacement was initiated by the dealer when the car was there for some other issues.

The cylinder head was just replaced @ 49,749 miles on 2/16/2011. I was lucky to have it replaced before my initial warranty ran out. I heard the ticking sound as I was picking up my car from the service center. The cylinder head was replaced and I got a free oil change out of it. : )

Do I need to go through a break in procedure after they replace the cylinder head?
Break in is for the low part of the engine. Specifically the piston rings adapting to the cylinder walls, and the connection rods bearing´s adjusting to the crankshaft.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2011, 12:48 PM   #1782
Neutrino45
Major
Neutrino45's Avatar
25
Rep
1,446
Posts

 
Drives: XXX
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: milky way

iTrader: (2)

Thanks. So I should just keep it under 4000 RPM and under 100 MPH (if I remember correctly) for the next 1200 miles?
__________________
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:33 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST