E90Post
 


GT Haus
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Metallic Ticking noise coming from engine?



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      07-17-2011, 07:38 PM   #1959
DL
Captain
 
DL's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 AW E92 N52
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Upstate NY

Posts: 866
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by E91Stu View Post
Hi All,
Just a month before the motorplan runs out i have heard the ticking noise from my 2006 E91 325, Lifters were replaced and noise got worse.
When I went back to complain, the techie who has been working on my car said he thought so! says that its oil pressure related and that a PUMA case will be opened and head replaced.
The car is in at the mo, so I popped in un expectantly and had a look through the parts in the boot, and as previously seen, the cam shaft is scored. Also something quite worring is the amount of oil varnish on all the parts.

My thinking is that its not so much oil pressure as old tired oil. my car has averaged 25 000-30 000 oil change intervals. currently has 95 000km now and only had 4 oil changes. doesnt sound right does it?
Im now going to take this up with motor plan and request the whole motor be checked for signs of poor lubrication. not sure this will be entertained, but at least if there are issues in the future, I may have a leg to stand on.
Anyone else tried this avenue?
Cheers
Stu
My oil has been changed about every 7,000 miles, and the lifter noise was still an issue for me. I have about 24,500 miles on it now.

The cylinder head was replaced in March, and I have not had the lifter noise or any other related problem. The service department gets a big thumbs up from me, and I have no regrets on going through the process that BMW has put in place.
__________________
E9X Picture Game: 63 points (64-1)
My N52 before BMW USA replaced the cylinder head:www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhLP-RkFGXM

Last edited by DL; 07-17-2011 at 07:57 PM.
DL is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-18-2011, 03:22 AM   #1960
E91Stu
Registered
 
Drives: E91 325i A/T
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: South Africa

Posts: 4
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DL View Post
My oil has been changed about every 7,000 miles, and the lifter noise was still an issue for me. I have about 24,500 miles on it now.

The cylinder head was replaced in March, and I have not had the lifter noise or any other related problem. The service department gets a big thumbs up from me, and I have no regrets on going through the process that BMW has put in place.

If my oil was changed every 7000m / 11200KM then I would be quite happy.After my last oil change the sevice indicator, indicated 27000km / 16875m.
As my car is still under motorplan, I must stick to their servicing schedule,
from now on I will change the oil at my own cost every 6000m / 10000KM.

Dont get me wrong, im extremely happy with the service dept, just not so much with the service schedules.
E91Stu is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-18-2011, 10:13 PM   #1961
pdav
New Member
 
Drives: 2006 BMW 330xi
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: waterford ny

Posts: 22
iTrader: (0)

I read on some post that a guy put diesel 15w-40 oil into an e36 and it shut his lifters right up. He did get ridiculed for it but his car ran fine. Anyone brave enough to try it on theirs? I too think this has something to do with oil pressure, maybe a thicker oil such as the diesel will do the trick. If anyone tries it post it on here and if you can pm me that would be great. Thanks
pdav is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-19-2011, 11:42 PM   #1962
DL
Captain
 
DL's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 AW E92 N52
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Upstate NY

Posts: 866
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by E91Stu View Post
If my oil was changed every 7000m / 11200KM then I would be quite happy.After my last oil change the sevice indicator, indicated 27000km / 16875m.
As my car is still under motorplan, I must stick to their servicing schedule,
from now on I will change the oil at my own cost every 6000m / 10000KM.

Dont get me wrong, im extremely happy with the service dept, just not so much with the service schedules.
I did/do pay for the oil change at the dealership even if BMW states that it is not needed via the service schedule. I am sure the service dept. had no issues with me paying out of my wallet, even though BMW stated it is not needed at that time. I more than kept up with oil changes, and the lifter noise was still a problem.

I asked my service adviser about the new N52 2011's sitting in the lot if they would have the lifter noise and he said the design has been changed. I am guessing at the time frame, but the TSB here may have given the time frame below.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...postcount=1057

The head replacement procedure that BMW set up I had no problem with when working with the service department, which I was getting at on my last post. I realize information does get lost when typing rather than speaking to someone, but at least the information gets out across the planet.

Good luck going forward, as it is a design flaw with the N52 (you may have two issues going on that are not related - tired oil, and the design flaw with the N52, N51 in your case - check the TSB link above as your engine is included). I have known others that went by the BMW service schedule and never had an issue with the e46. It never made sense to me, but that is what they did with no issues.

It is sad even if you go beyond what is required via BMW's service plan, and you still have the lifter problem as I did, proper oil flow in the N52 is an engineering flaw, and would be the only reasonable answer.

I hope this clears my up last post, and again good luck with your dealership/BMW.
__________________
E9X Picture Game: 63 points (64-1)
My N52 before BMW USA replaced the cylinder head:www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhLP-RkFGXM

Last edited by DL; 07-20-2011 at 01:44 AM.
DL is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-02-2011, 06:59 PM   #1963
yoandry
First Lieutenant
 
yoandry's Avatar
 
Drives: TiAg E90 ZSP & ZPP
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Naples, Florida

Posts: 329
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to yoandry Send a message via MSN to yoandry Send a message via Skype™ to yoandry
I get back my car today. How long i have to wait for run it hard.
This is my head replacement invoice.

Last edited by yoandry; 08-03-2011 at 04:00 PM.
yoandry is offline   Cuba
0
Reply With Quote
      08-02-2011, 07:41 PM   #1964
DUI Elite
///M at Heart
 
DUI Elite's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 SGM E90
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Chicago, IL

Posts: 1,654
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdav View Post
I read on some post that a guy put diesel 15w-40 oil into an e36 and it shut his lifters right up. He did get ridiculed for it but his car ran fine. Anyone brave enough to try it on theirs? I too think this has something to do with oil pressure, maybe a thicker oil such as the diesel will do the trick. If anyone tries it post it on here and if you can pm me that would be great. Thanks
can't speak for heavier weight, but idk if you read some posts earlier in the thread (there are a lot so i wouldn't be surprised if one missed one lol)

Try letting the car warm up. It has good results as well.
DUI Elite is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-02-2011, 10:23 PM   #1965
e92MERIDIAN
New Member
 
e92MERIDIAN's Avatar
 
Drives: Alipne White e92
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Roseville CA

Posts: 23
iTrader: (1)

I recently took my car in for what I suspected was the lifter ticking noise and they told me it was actually the injectors I was hearing.
If it was the lifters it would have been much louder and deeper is what I was told.

When the engine is warmer the "injector tick sound seems to be more subdued.
The Dealership I use I do trust and since they admitted they would do the lifter
fix if it sounded like that was the problem they would since the warranty would cover it.

The Car doesn't drive bad but I am wanting to have as many things taken care of under this extended warranty as possible.

Has anyone else heard or been told this by the dealerships?
e92MERIDIAN is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-03-2011, 01:59 AM   #1966
DL
Captain
 
DL's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 AW E92 N52
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Upstate NY

Posts: 866
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoandry View Post
I get back my car today. How long i have to wait for run it hard.
This is my head replacement invoice.
Yoandry, my SA said no new break in period is needed. I still took it easy for awhile just for my own piece of mind. I took it easy for about 1k and it runs perfect.

Thank you for providing the thread with your invoice, but please for your sake white out/delete your personal information on your image, then post it again so others can use it. There are allot of people that come to this site that are not even members looking to do harm using your personal information on this invoice!
__________________
E9X Picture Game: 63 points (64-1)
My N52 before BMW USA replaced the cylinder head:www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhLP-RkFGXM

Last edited by DL; 08-03-2011 at 02:29 AM.
DL is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-03-2011, 02:04 AM   #1967
DL
Captain
 
DL's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 AW E92 N52
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Upstate NY

Posts: 866
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by e92MERIDIAN View Post
I recently took my car in for what I suspected was the lifter ticking noise and they told me it was actually the injectors I was hearing.
If it was the lifters it would have been much louder and deeper is what I was told.

When the engine is warmer the "injector tick sound seems to be more subdued.
The Dealership I use I do trust and since they admitted they would do the lifter
fix if it sounded like that was the problem they would since the warranty would cover it.

The Car doesn't drive bad but I am wanting to have as many things taken care of under this extended warranty as possible.


Has anyone else heard or been told this by the dealerships?
Click my signature link to youtube. If your N52 sounds like mine did you have an issue. Others have been given the run around so to speak with this problem by the service department. However, some did not have this issue, and some did, so use your best judgement going forward.

Take videos with a current newspaper on your own time when the noise is most notable to present to the SA. It helped me in the long run.

Good luck.
__________________
E9X Picture Game: 63 points (64-1)
My N52 before BMW USA replaced the cylinder head:www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhLP-RkFGXM

Last edited by DL; 08-03-2011 at 02:23 AM.
DL is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-03-2011, 03:51 PM   #1968
yoandry
First Lieutenant
 
yoandry's Avatar
 
Drives: TiAg E90 ZSP & ZPP
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Naples, Florida

Posts: 329
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to yoandry Send a message via MSN to yoandry Send a message via Skype™ to yoandry
Quote:
Originally Posted by DL View Post
Yoandry, my SA said no new break in period is needed. I still took it easy for awhile just for my own piece of mind. I took it easy for about 1k and it runs perfect.

Thank you for providing the thread with your invoice, but please for your sake white out/delete your personal information on your image, then post it again so others can use it. There are allot of people that come to this site that are not even members looking to do harm using your personal information on this invoice!
Thanks man.

I left my car drop about 800 rpm for about 5 min idle and this fuking car still doing the noise and more hardest now. WDF
yoandry is offline   Cuba
0
Reply With Quote
      08-04-2011, 05:45 PM   #1969
byy123
New Member
 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Posts: 8
iTrader: (0)

...
byy123 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-06-2011, 09:37 PM   #1970
e92MERIDIAN
New Member
 
e92MERIDIAN's Avatar
 
Drives: Alipne White e92
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Roseville CA

Posts: 23
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DL View Post
Click my signature link to youtube. If your N52 sounds like mine did you have an issue. Others have been given the run around so to speak with this problem by the service department. However, some did not have this issue, and some did, so use your best judgement going forward.

Take videos with a current newspaper on your own time when the noise is most notable to present to the SA. It helped me in the long run.

Good luck.
Thank you for that, your video is very clear as to the particular sound and is lower and deeper than
the slight ticking I hear/have but I'll be keeping an eye/ear on it, thanks again

Last edited by e92MERIDIAN; 08-06-2011 at 09:37 PM. Reason: spelling
e92MERIDIAN is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-18-2011, 04:37 PM   #1971
Haywire
Haywire, brand new BMW owner :D
 
Haywire's Avatar
 
Drives: 328i coupe
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Ontario

Posts: 782
iTrader: (0)

I'm in Canada for starters. 2 years back I mentioned this problem and they were talking about the processes the car had to go through before fixing the issue. I went back in recently talking about the same issue now that my warranty is going to be up next year and they are willingly replacing the head, instead of just replacing the cylinders which is usually the quick fix I believe.
Haywire is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      08-23-2011, 10:49 AM   #1972
3er BMW
Private
 
Drives: E92 325i
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Denmark

Posts: 91
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haywire View Post
I'm in Canada for starters. 2 years back I mentioned this problem and they were talking about the processes the car had to go through before fixing the issue. I went back in recently talking about the same issue now that my warranty is going to be up next year and they are willingly replacing the head, instead of just replacing the cylinders which is usually the quick fix I believe.

Procedure:
1. bleed (obsolete)
2. replace HVA-elements
3. software update (ISTA/P 40.3.0.3) with higher oil pressure at start up
4. replace cylinder head.
3er BMW is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-30-2011, 09:17 PM   #1973
carlos916
Semper Fi
 
carlos916's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 328i / 05 R6
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Sac Town

Posts: 405
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2008 E92 328i  [2.50]
My car is doing it also!! Agh going to give the SA a call tomorrow .. Btw I only got 23k miles on my 08 =/
__________________
carlos916 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-02-2011, 12:06 PM   #1974
kirillbmw
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 328i Convertible
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Woodland Hills

Posts: 286
iTrader: (0)

same here mine comes and goes and i have 50k miles
kirillbmw is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-03-2011, 03:44 PM   #1975
3me
Lieutenant
 
3me's Avatar
 
Drives: 6spd mt 325i
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Mississippi

Posts: 415
iTrader: (0)

I believe my car is out of warranty. Do you think i might be able to get BMW to take care of the ticking? or would I have to do this out of pocket
__________________
3me is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-03-2011, 09:11 PM   #1976
carlos916
Semper Fi
 
carlos916's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 328i / 05 R6
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Sac Town

Posts: 405
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2008 E92 328i  [2.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3me View Post
I believe my car is out of warranty. Do you think i might be able to get BMW to take care of the ticking? or would I have to do this out of pocket
u can try saying u had talked to them b4 but nothing happen..but chances are that its all on you now..

btw got my appt for the 14th and ill report back when i get some info..
__________________
carlos916 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-14-2011, 11:26 AM   #1977
Z4owner
Registered
 
Drives: Z42008
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Montreal, Quebec

Posts: 4
iTrader: (0)

Z4 N52 engine noise-lifter problem

Has anyone, with the lifter problem, had success in getting a dealer in the Montreal area (Quebec,Canada)to replace the cyclinder head or do you need to let them replace the lifters as the first attempt to fix the design problem?
Z4owner is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      09-14-2011, 12:23 PM   #1978
RupertPupkin
Lieutenant Colonel
 
RupertPupkin's Avatar
 
Drives: Freak Beast
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: East

Posts: 1,534
iTrader: (5)

I DO NOT have the issue and have a 2006 330i 6MT with 71k miles. Curious if this ticking issue is actually a problem or more of annoyance. Will it eventually lead to some sort of failure or is it just a horrible sound people dont want to deal with, but in reality the car is running fine? I dont have time to read through 90 pages on this just curious if someone can let me know. Thanks guys.
RupertPupkin is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-16-2011, 01:55 AM   #1979
carlos916
Semper Fi
 
carlos916's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 328i / 05 R6
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Sac Town

Posts: 405
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2008 E92 328i  [2.50]
just got my car back today ... Lifters got replaced ..so now just gotta play the wait till they tick again game... The SA knows its a commen problem and even told me its going to happen again lol...he also said that replacing the cylinder head is the fix!! :-P
__________________
carlos916 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-16-2011, 12:03 PM   #1980
RupertPupkin
Lieutenant Colonel
 
RupertPupkin's Avatar
 
Drives: Freak Beast
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: East

Posts: 1,534
iTrader: (5)

bump for my question...
RupertPupkin is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:30 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST