E90Post
 


Horizon LED
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Metallic Ticking noise coming from engine?



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      06-29-2009, 11:37 AM   #991
3rd3
New Member
United_States
1
Rep
20
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 BMW 328 i
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Virginia

iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to 3rd3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Socom View Post
Well we all know that BMW is really saying "Those wussy Americans always want their automatics, so we give them their automatics and now they start complaining about valve tap which is a result of having their automatics. PFFT. They should've bought 6 spds."

OR

"HA HA...Americans buy our cars which were designed to be driven on the autobahan and all the do is 'put' 'put' 'put' around town in their automatics, and now they whine about valve tap which is a function of having big engine, going 'put' 'put' 'put' around town using an automatic...HA HA HA HA"

OR as Mike Miller hypthozied on time ago

BMW Marketing "Americans demand big 6 cyl engines"
BMW Engineer "Sir, the typical American BMW owner lives in a urban area, and requires an automatic so our 6 cyl will develop valve tap due to low rpm driving. We need install a redesigned head with a check valve"
BMW Accountant "Nein...too expensive"

FWIW..I'm happy with my head replacmement. No more tap.

Or, like the frustrated E46 owners who used America's litigation services to awaken the Germans to frame issues, perhaps e90 owners should follow and provide something for the executives at BMW to consider.

Personally, I have owned many things in life but nothing has been as poor of a customer experience as a BMW. They simply do not care about owners after the sale. The ultimate driving machine ... my foot.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2009, 06:55 PM   #992
Shocked@BMW
New Member
0
Rep
18
Posts

 
Drives: 2007328Xicoupe
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NJ

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd3 View Post
Or, like the frustrated E46 owners who used America's litigation services to awaken the Germans to frame issues, perhaps e90 owners should follow and provide something for the executives at BMW to consider.

Personally, I have owned many things in life but nothing has been as poor of a customer experience as a BMW. They simply do not care about owners after the sale. The ultimate driving machine ... my foot.
You got that right!!!!!!!!!! And this issue has nothing to do with it being a stick, auto, turbo and not driving it enough (or hard enough). If all it needed was a check valve why wouldn't they just put one in the existing head. There is another problem here, any oiling problems I have ever encountered will go away seconds after the start.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2009, 05:06 PM   #993
bimr_fan
Enlisted Member
bimr_fan's Avatar
0
Rep
33
Posts

 
Drives: E90
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: NJ

iTrader: (0)

As bad as this problem is, one would at least hope BMW would
have some policy in place all dealers followed. In the last couple of weeks,
I called 4 dealers in NJ, 1 claimed the bleeding procedure fixed all of their cases, the other said they had 1-2 done and did not realize it was a big deal, and the last two claimed to have never even heard of this issue !!

I need to get this done, but if these dealers don't even have any experience with this, how will they take apart my engine and put is back together? How is this so much different from others' experiences here?
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2009, 06:02 AM   #994
Shocked@BMW
New Member
0
Rep
18
Posts

 
Drives: 2007328Xicoupe
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NJ

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimr_fan View Post
As bad as this problem is, one would at least hope BMW would
have some policy in place all dealers followed. In the last couple of weeks,
I called 4 dealers in NJ, 1 claimed the bleeding procedure fixed all of their cases, the other said they had 1-2 done and did not realize it was a big deal, and the last two claimed to have never even heard of this issue !!

I need to get this done, but if these dealers don't even have any experience with this, how will they take apart my engine and put is back together? How is this so much different from others' experiences here?
I feel your pain, as far as I was concerned the engine was assembled in Germany. Letting a dealer with little or no experience doing such a big job sucks.
Try and get a recommendation from someone on here, I see everyone chiming in to help. I did not feel confident with my dealer doing it even if BMW had finally approved it.

Last edited by Shocked@BMW; 07-12-2009 at 07:54 AM.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2009, 08:23 AM   #995
purespin52
Private First Class
purespin52's Avatar
United_States
1
Rep
108
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 SG 330xi 6MT
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Newark

iTrader: (3)

i had the bleeding procedure done about 4 times until they finally replaced the cylinder head....the noise went away for a few months and is now back again....i am going to take it back to the dealer.........has anyone had continued ticking after the cylinder head was replaced????
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2009, 12:11 PM   #996
Rekla
Hug the road... Carpe Asphalt
Rekla's Avatar
United_States
19
Rep
601
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 ///M Coupe
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Greater Seattle area - WA

iTrader: (18)

Am I post 1,000 ?!?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by purespin52 View Post
i had the bleeding procedure done about 4 times until they finally replaced the cylinder head....the noise went away for a few months and is now back again....i am going to take it back to the dealer.........has anyone had continued ticking after the cylinder head was replaced????
NOPE! No more ticking after the head replacement!
My daily commute is a motorcycle, so it is not uncommon for my car to stand still for 5-10 days in a row. If it does stand still for several days, it starts very smooth without ticking, and I don't have to drive it "agile" like they claim to keep the oil in the head.

Since I rarely use the vehicle, the engine does not warm up enough to drive the car in DS. If I take it on a longer trip, and do use the DS, it feels more "agile" compared to before the head replacement. The dealer told me the head comes pre-assembled with all valves in it. The head replacement is a similar job to them as if they were to replace the head gasket - with the exception of installing a new head instead of putting back the old one. Maybe the new head has redesigned and improved valves which makes if feel more sporty in DS? My observed fuel consumption is down around 5%, I hope it will get back to what it was. All in all very happy with the repair.

Did they install the modified head (new P/N with "check valve", right?) or did they replace it with a similar one that came out (without the check valve)? When was it done?
__________________
2013 X5-35d - Platinum Grey / Oyster; Premium - Sport
2007 BMW ///M Coupe
RETIRED 2006 TiAg E90 330i - Black leather - Alu Trim - Prem - Sport - NAV - Step - CA - Heated Seats

Last edited by Rekla; 07-14-2009 at 09:55 PM.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2009, 05:54 PM   #997
purespin52
Private First Class
purespin52's Avatar
United_States
1
Rep
108
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 SG 330xi 6MT
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Newark

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rekla View Post
NOPE! No more ticking after the head replacement!
My daily commute is a motorcycle, so it is not uncommon for my car to stand still for 5-10 days in a row. If it does stand still for several days, it starts very smooth without ticking, and I don't have to drive it "agile" like they claim to keep the oil in the head.

Since I rarely use the vehicle, the engine does not warm up enough to drive the car in DS. If I take it on a longer trip, and do use the DS, it feels more "agile" compared to before the head replacement. The dealer told me the head comes pre-assembled with all valves in it. The head replacement is a similar job to them then as if they were to replace the head gasket - with the exception of installing a new head instead of putting back the old one. Maybe the new head has redesigned and improved valves which makes if feel more sporty in DS? My observed fuel consumption is down around 5%, I hope it will get back to what it was. All in all very happy with the repair.

Did they install the modified head (new P/N with "check valve", right?) or did they replace it with a similar one that came out (without the check valve)? When was it done?
it says the new part is "cylinder head with valve" is that the new cylinder head?
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2009, 09:58 PM   #998
Rekla
Hug the road... Carpe Asphalt
Rekla's Avatar
United_States
19
Rep
601
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 ///M Coupe
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Greater Seattle area - WA

iTrader: (18)

parts list

Quote:
Originally Posted by purespin52 View Post
it says the new part is "cylinder head with valve" is that the new cylinder head?
Congrats purespin! You posted reply 1,000!

Here is my parts list. I don't have the old original cylinder head P/N for comparison, anybody else?

(1) 11-12-7-591-617 N52 Cylinder head with valve
(1) 11-12-9-391-547 Set of Alu. screws F Cylinder
(1) 11-12-7-548-799 Bolt cylinder head
(1) 11-12-0-392-547 set of alu. screws
(3) 11-12-7-521-167 ASS-Stud Bolt
(2) 11-36-7-524-954 Collar Screw
(1) 11-12-7-555-757 Cylinder head gasket
(1) 11-12-7-548-921 Gasket set cylinder head
(1) 11-12-0-409-288 set of alu. screws
(2) 13-62-7-530-413 Torx screw
(2) 11-12-7-529-997 Torx Screw
(6) 33-32-6-768-354 Hex screw with collar
(1) 11-42-7-566-327 Set oil-filter Elem
(7) 07-51-0-017-954 Motor oil SW30
(1) 82-14-1-467-704 Antifreeze
(1) 22-11-0-392-551 Set of Alu. screws
__________________
2013 X5-35d - Platinum Grey / Oyster; Premium - Sport
2007 BMW ///M Coupe
RETIRED 2006 TiAg E90 330i - Black leather - Alu Trim - Prem - Sport - NAV - Step - CA - Heated Seats
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2009, 12:31 AM   #999
TwinT1addict
Major
TwinT1addict's Avatar
United_States
30
Rep
1,494
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 135i
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Stamford, CT

iTrader: (12)

Garage List
2008 135i  [3.50]
Send a message via AIM to TwinT1addict
Hello guys well as u may know i had my head done like last month and i posted on this thread that even after the head replacement i still got this horrible clunking noise thats constant on cold starts and its gone after the car warms up. I complained to BMW NA and they said that they cant do anything else becouse my dealers master Tech said that its piston slap and its normal on our cars. I dont know what this means but im very angry of how BMW treated me it sounded like they dident even care. Thing is idk where to go from here last option is to sell the car becouse that noise is too emberassing for a BMW and should of bin dealt with.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2009, 11:57 AM   #1000
Vacek
Captain
Vacek's Avatar
Canada
15
Rep
788
Posts

 
Drives: 08 328xi E92 & 09 X3
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Somewhere

iTrader: (8)

I'm STILL waiting for parts for a complete cylinder head replacement.

My Dealer said they are on back order (over a month now) .. I have heard nothing.

Does this sound fishy ??
__________________
08' E92 328xi: Jet Black|Saddle|Custom Window Trim|Custom Powder'd 197's|MT|Logic 7|Carbon Fiber Roundels|Clear Reflectors|M3 Spoiler|Pilot Sport PS2's Non RFT's|GP Thunder 8500k Angel Eyes/Fogs|USB Adapter|Black Carbon Fiber Trim|Black on Black Carbon Fiber Pedals|K&N Filter|Carbon Filter Delete|MFD Scoops|Sunglass Tray Mod|Rear Fog Mod|Riss Racing CDV Valve|
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2009, 06:07 AM   #1001
Shocked@BMW
New Member
0
Rep
18
Posts

 
Drives: 2007328Xicoupe
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NJ

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWE90FANATIC View Post
Hello guys well as u may know i had my head done like last month and i posted on this thread that even after the head replacement i still got this horrible clunking noise thats constant on cold starts and its gone after the car warms up. I complained to BMW NA and they said that they cant do anything else becouse my dealers master Tech said that its piston slap and its normal on our cars. I dont know what this means but im very angry of how BMW treated me it sounded like they dident even care. Thing is idk where to go from here last option is to sell the car becouse that noise is too emberassing for a BMW and should of bin dealt with.
Did it do it before the head or just after? Obviously the car is still under warranty, stay after it. It sounds like another case of they just don't care.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2009, 06:15 PM   #1002
Shocked@BMW
New Member
0
Rep
18
Posts

 
Drives: 2007328Xicoupe
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NJ

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosaic View Post
I'm STILL waiting for parts for a complete cylinder head replacement.

My Dealer said they are on back order (over a month now) .. I have heard nothing.

Does this sound fishy ??
Sounds like they are finally fixing the problem and ran out of parts. Stay after them, at least you have it approved.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2009, 10:09 PM   #1003
flicks28
Private First Class
2
Rep
160
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 335i; 2006 325i
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NC

iTrader: (0)

Knock on wood guys but I am now at the 1 year anniversary on having the cylinder head replaced and I have had no issues so far. Have put on about 9K miles during that time.

When we originally purchased the car, the noise started at about 4500 miles and at 18K is when I finally had the cylinder head replaced.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2009, 11:25 AM   #1004
ultimate
Lieutenant Colonel
ultimate's Avatar
United_States
27
Rep
1,785
Posts

 
Drives: E92
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Chicago, IL

iTrader: (0)

I'm having this problem as well, but it comes and goes. how did you guys tell the service people about this situation, and out of the 10 times, how many times would this problem occur?
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2009, 11:02 PM   #1005
rambalu80
Captain
rambalu80's Avatar
United_States
11
Rep
987
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 BMW 328i
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Lake Jackson TX

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2007 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimate View Post
I'm having this problem as well, but it comes and goes. how did you guys tell the service people about this situation, and out of the 10 times, how many times would this problem occur?
For me it was constant, whether the car was warm or cold didn't matter. It ticked no matter what, so didn't have any issues convincing them I needed a head replacement after the bleeding procedure didn't fix it.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2009, 07:19 AM   #1006
Shocked@BMW
New Member
0
Rep
18
Posts

 
Drives: 2007328Xicoupe
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NJ

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimate View Post
I'm having this problem as well, but it comes and goes. how did you guys tell the service people about this situation, and out of the 10 times, how many times would this problem occur?
Mine would do it whenever it felt like it. In the beginning only at first start in the morning. Then it started doing it after the car sat for 8-10 hours at work. Would not do it for day's, then it would do it a few days in a row. That's what made it so hard for me to show it to the dealer. Even though the Dealer had done the Bleed a year and a half before. By the time you drove it there it would have stopped, the longest I let it sit and warm-up hoping it would go away was 15 minutes. Would not go away anyway. That's when I started to video tape it doing it. Of course that was not GOOD enough. Just another excuse, and caused the games to start. Good Luck!
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2009, 09:39 AM   #1007
rambalu80
Captain
rambalu80's Avatar
United_States
11
Rep
987
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 BMW 328i
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Lake Jackson TX

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2007 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shocked@BMW View Post
Mine would do it whenever it felt like it. In the beginning only at first start in the morning. Then it started doing it after the car sat for 8-10 hours at work. Would not do it for day's, then it would do it a few days in a row. That's what made it so hard for me to show it to the dealer. Even though the Dealer had done the Bleed a year and a half before. By the time you drove it there it would have stopped, the longest I let it sit and warm-up hoping it would go away was 15 minutes. Would not go away anyway. That's when I started to video tape it doing it. Of course that was not GOOD enough. Just another excuse, and caused the games to start. Good Luck!
Most dealerships wouldn't accept your complaint unless you can prove it to them in their presence.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2009, 06:11 AM   #1008
Shocked@BMW
New Member
0
Rep
18
Posts

 
Drives: 2007328Xicoupe
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NJ

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambalu80 View Post
Most dealerships wouldn't accept your complaint unless you can prove it to them in their presence.
They knew it did it, after all they had done the BLEED a year earlier. Just had been putting up with the noise. Then I got tired of hearing the noise and BMW and the Dealer telling me it's NORMAL.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2009, 03:02 PM   #1009
flicks28
Private First Class
2
Rep
160
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 335i; 2006 325i
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shocked@BMW View Post
Mine would do it whenever it felt like it. In the beginning only at first start in the morning. Then it started doing it after the car sat for 8-10 hours at work. Would not do it for day's, then it would do it a few days in a row. That's what made it so hard for me to show it to the dealer. Even though the Dealer had done the Bleed a year and a half before. By the time you drove it there it would have stopped, the longest I let it sit and warm-up hoping it would go away was 15 minutes. Would not go away anyway. That's when I started to video tape it doing it. Of course that was not GOOD enough. Just another excuse, and caused the games to start. Good Luck!
This is EXACTLY the same experience I had. Eventually it just started ticking more often and on the 3rd trip to the dealer, they heard it. But my service rep never gave me any BS on it. He listened to what I was saying, he knew the problem existed, and he corrected it. If any of you are in the Charlotte area, I will give you his name. He's the best SA I have ever had and more then likely will buy my next car from them, just because of the SA.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2009, 03:47 PM   #1010
F32Fleet
BMWCCA since '03
F32Fleet's Avatar
United_States
69
Rep
5,339
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 435i
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Atlanta (Vinings)

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shocked@BMW View Post
You got that right!!!!!!!!!! And this issue has nothing to do with it being a stick, auto, turbo and not driving it enough (or hard enough). If all it needed was a check valve why wouldn't they just put one in the existing head. There is another problem here, any oiling problems I have ever encountered will go away seconds after the start.
IIRC....Initially it mostly affected cars with A/T's because they are driven at a lower RPM then their manual counterparts. The idea was that the low rpm driving didn't generate sufficient pressure to get all the air bubbles out of the lifters.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2009, 11:33 PM   #1011
Kentoro25
Registered
United_States
0
Rep
4
Posts

 
Drives: '06 325
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Maplewood. NJ

iTrader: (0)

Like E90BMWFANATIC I had the head replaced and still have problems. In fact I am pretty damn sure its the same issue - either piston slap or issue with one of the wrist pins. It's a distinctly different sound to my ears than a typical lifter tap, more a random rattle and clunking from lower in the block. Apears about 30 - 60 seconds after start but disappears when fully warm. The noise gets progressivel worse with each 1000 miles or so (started at 18K and I am now at 28K).

BMW have washed their hands of it. Can't find anything wrong according to the last service report. It's aburd for a modern engine with such low mileage to have an issue with the bottom end. I am taking it to an inde shop next week for a second opinion.

By the way e90david - your post on youtube sounds exactly like mine. Different to a lifter tap in my opinion, so don't be suprised if a replacement head doen't work. Make sure the dealer is confident it is the head thats the issue and they dont just take it for granted thats the case.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2009, 10:50 AM   #1012
Haywire
Haywire, brand new BMW owner :D
Haywire's Avatar
Canada
7
Rep
782
Posts

 
Drives: 328i coupe
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Ontario

iTrader: (0)

It was well over a year ago that i posted in this thread, the dreaded ticking... im at 29 k right now and the ticking for the mostpart, is gone. thats not to say that it doesnt pop up every once in a while.

The only thing im worried about, being 2 years into warranty...is what if it gets worse OUT of warranty, and maybe this is something i should deal with now, opposed to later. But because my ticking is so infrequent, its really hard to get it to the dealership when the problem arises. To make it worse, my dealership is 2 hours away and by the time i would get it there, the engine is so warm all ticking is gone!

Last edited by Haywire; 08-07-2009 at 11:07 AM.
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:36 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST