E90Post
 


Lux Angel Eyes
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Metallic Ticking noise coming from engine?



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      04-14-2011, 11:54 PM   #1871
DL
Captain
DL's Avatar
United_States
8
Rep
866
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 AW E92 N52
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Upstate NY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoandry View Post
Omg! I have the same ticking, but just in the morning at could start for some idle time, them gone away after drive it. Its not louder but i would like to fix it. I have warranty till get 100k miles, i bought the car with 51k miles. Current miles is 55k. I should be to say to my dealer go dirrect to remplace the cylinder head not the lifter. I have been read some last thread, and with just lifter fix the tick come back. I dont want to waste time fixing the lifter while bmw know the big problem is in the Cy head.
Sadly, you have to go through the BMW process, as BMW states the lifter change will fix the issue. It will take awhile, but this is what is set up via BMW. Please do not rant at the SA, as he has to follow what BMW states as the fix. Do not say I want a new cylinder head. Just go through the process and you should be fine. The SA is just doing his job, and has no choice in the matter. BMW does not want to pay for a new head for you and that is it. Remember the SA is stuck between a rock and a hard place dealing with you and BMW with this issue. A lot of cherry wood desks at corp. have to sign off for the new head.

Click on my youtube sig. to make sure yours sounds like mine did.

I have been through this and it worked for me.

Read this link below!

http://blog.bavauto.com/bmw-e60-e61/...e-tappet-noise


Get vids of the noise on your own time with dated newspapers, as it usually does not happen at the shop. It will help your case.

Hope this helps some........
__________________
E9X Picture Game: 63 points (64-1)
My N52 before BMW USA replaced the cylinder head:www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhLP-RkFGXM

Last edited by DL; 04-15-2011 at 01:41 AM.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2011, 09:31 AM   #1872
yoandry
First Lieutenant
yoandry's Avatar
Cuba
7
Rep
329
Posts

 
Drives: TiAg E90 ZSP & ZPP
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Naples, Florida

iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to yoandry Send a message via MSN to yoandry Send a message via Skype™ to yoandry
Quote:
Originally Posted by DL View Post
Sadly, you have to go through the BMW process, as BMW states the lifter change will fix the issue. It will take awhile, but this is what is set up via BMW. Please do not rant at the SA, as he has to follow what BMW states as the fix. Do not say I want a new cylinder head. Just go through the process and you should be fine. The SA is just doing his job, and has no choice in the matter. BMW does not want to pay for a new head for you and that is it. Remember the SA is stuck between a rock and a hard place dealing with you and BMW with this issue. A lot of cherry wood desks at corp. have to sign off for the new head.

Click on my youtube sig. to make sure yours sounds like mine did.

I have been through this and it worked for me.

Read this link below!

http://blog.bavauto.com/bmw-e60-e61/...e-tappet-noise


Get vids of the noise on your own time with dated newspapers, as it usually does not happen at the shop. It will help your case.

Hope this helps some........
Thank you.

I think mine it is not loud as yours, but i think its just time/miles to get worse. The ticking is just if i left the car get idle in the morning while its cold, them go away. When i turn it on in the morning cold, it doesn't do it, untill i left it get idle.

Video of mine.

Last edited by yoandry; 04-15-2011 at 09:41 AM.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2011, 01:47 PM   #1873
bumere90
Grozniy
United_States
51
Rep
2,601
Posts

 
Drives: Carless
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: FL

iTrader: (12)

sounds normal to me
__________________
-fatman
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2011, 06:06 PM   #1874
yoandry
First Lieutenant
yoandry's Avatar
Cuba
7
Rep
329
Posts

 
Drives: TiAg E90 ZSP & ZPP
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Naples, Florida

iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to yoandry Send a message via MSN to yoandry Send a message via Skype™ to yoandry
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumere90 View Post
sounds normal to me
Mmm...... i know isnt louder than other, but is there a little ticking noise. I would like to be wrong.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2011, 08:31 AM   #1875
ccraig13
Second Lieutenant
ccraig13's Avatar
3
Rep
240
Posts

 
Drives: '07 E92 328xi 6MT
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: NJ

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjct View Post
...Has anyone experimented with non-bmw oils like Red Line, Amsoil, or Lubro Moly to see if it silences the ticking?
The first time I heard the ticking noise was when I switched to Lubro Moly ( Which turns out is easy to get at your local NAPA ). The ticking was probably there before but this past oil change was the first time I stood by and listened. The car sounds like a diesel now.

I plan on having the dealership change the oil then see if that makes a difference. I don't believe it will, but this way the dealership can't say it's from using non BMW oil or a botched oil change on my part ( Yes, Lubro Moly meets BMW's standards but they'll use any excuse they can find ).
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2011, 04:53 PM   #1876
yoandry
First Lieutenant
yoandry's Avatar
Cuba
7
Rep
329
Posts

 
Drives: TiAg E90 ZSP & ZPP
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Naples, Florida

iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to yoandry Send a message via MSN to yoandry Send a message via Skype™ to yoandry
I went to the dealer today to set up my appointment on 5-3-11. They checked out my key and found it that i have an extended warranty. Omg i didnt knew it. I bought my car from carmax 50k miles on it. I took too his maxcare warranty till get 100k miles, current 55k. So now i have 2 warranty. What i ll do with 2 warranty, both till get 100k miles. Can i cancel maxcare 1, of course, this is what im paying.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2011, 05:33 PM   #1877
Neutrino45
Major
Neutrino45's Avatar
25
Rep
1,446
Posts

 
Drives: XXX
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: milky way

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoandry View Post
Can i cancel maxcare 1, of course, this is what im paying.
I don't know why you would ask the quesiton here. Why don't you give CarMax a call???
__________________
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2011, 01:48 PM   #1878
yoandry
First Lieutenant
yoandry's Avatar
Cuba
7
Rep
329
Posts

 
Drives: TiAg E90 ZSP & ZPP
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Naples, Florida

iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to yoandry Send a message via MSN to yoandry Send a message via Skype™ to yoandry
For the guys who did the replacement of the lifter or cy.. head, how long tooks the dealership to get it fix?
I have set up an appointment for 5-3-11, i ll drop the car the day before. Im asking cuz i dont want to miss the floridabimmer meeting on 5-7-11. In 5 days will i get fix my car?
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2011, 01:55 PM   #1879
Delta0311
Brigadier General
Delta0311's Avatar
56
Rep
3,873
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 BMW 335xi E92
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NJ

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoandry View Post
For the guys who did the replacement of the lifter or cy.. head, how long tooks the dealership to get it fix?
I have set up an appointment for 5-3-11, i ll drop the car the day before. Im asking cuz i dont want to miss the floridabimmer meeting on 5-7-11. In 5 days will i get fix my car?
Dropped it off Monday and had my car back on Thursday for the head replacement.

Just note, first they will only replace the lifters. That is usually a two day job. And I have to give a big thumbs up to Open Road BMW. It all depends on the dealer and how quickly they can get a new head in or if they have one in stock.
__________________
Space Gray 2011 335xi E92
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2011, 03:59 PM   #1880
yoandry
First Lieutenant
yoandry's Avatar
Cuba
7
Rep
329
Posts

 
Drives: TiAg E90 ZSP & ZPP
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Naples, Florida

iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to yoandry Send a message via MSN to yoandry Send a message via Skype™ to yoandry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta0311 View Post
Dropped it off Monday and had my car back on Thursday for the head replacement.

Just note, first they will only replace the lifters. That is usually a two day job. And I have to give a big thumbs up to Open Road BMW. It all depends on the dealer and how quickly they can get a new head in or if they have one in stock.
Thanks bro. Yes i think they will replace the lifters first, but my extended warranty run out by this september, so if the noise comes back after warranty expire, they will cover the replacement of the head right?
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2011, 04:00 PM   #1881
Delta0311
Brigadier General
Delta0311's Avatar
56
Rep
3,873
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 BMW 335xi E92
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NJ

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoandry View Post
Thanks bro. Yes i think they will replace the lifters first, but my extended warranty run out by this september, so if the noise comes back after warranty expire, they will cover the replacement of the head right?
Yes they have to since you brought this up within the warranty period.
__________________
Space Gray 2011 335xi E92
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2011, 04:03 PM   #1882
yoandry
First Lieutenant
yoandry's Avatar
Cuba
7
Rep
329
Posts

 
Drives: TiAg E90 ZSP & ZPP
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Naples, Florida

iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to yoandry Send a message via MSN to yoandry Send a message via Skype™ to yoandry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta0311 View Post
Yes they have to since you brought this up within the warranty period.
thanks.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2011, 04:29 PM   #1883
06Chase
Registered
0
Rep
3
Posts

 
Drives: '06 330i 6MT
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Newport News, VA

iTrader: (0)

I hate to bother you guys, but I guess it is only a minute or two out of your day. Reading about this issue has truthfully started to freak me out. I don't exactly have $9k to fix this problem myself. Anyway, I had been wondering/thinking about this problem. I'm sure it doesn't just "happen". I would imagine it gets incrementally worse over time (start small and get bigger with respect to the noise).

I feel like I've been hearing the "ticking," but I keep telling myself that it is my mind playing tricks on me. That if it hasn't happened by the 100,000 mile mark, it likely won't happen (currently 99,250). Somewhere in the back of my mind I keep thinking that the slight ticking that I'm hearing is this problem starting to happen, that it just hasn't completely revealed itself to the extent of the rest of ya'll.

Anyway, would anyone mind listening and giving your opinions? I could stand to hear some unbiased opinions from people whose ears have not been corrupted by my mind. I appreciate your help!!

The first video starts out on the right (passenger) side of the engine. The ticking noise I'm referring to is pretty evident. Around the 2 second mark I pull the camera back to show the whole engine. At that time you can hear the injector?? noise, which is not what I'm concerned with.


The second video starts out showing the whole engine. I get close to different parts of the engine just to hear the different noises from different areas. I feel like I can hear the ticking during the whole video, but it becomes more prominent when the camera reaches the passenger side of the engine compartment.



Thanks! Sorry for the novel.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2011, 05:19 PM   #1884
DL
Captain
DL's Avatar
United_States
8
Rep
866
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 AW E92 N52
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Upstate NY

iTrader: (0)

06Chase,

If I had not gone through the whole issue with my N52 I would say I do not hear a thing. However, I cannot be 100 percent. Could be my speakers, could be your recording? If I had your car and not come across this thread, I would have never heard a thing based on your videos. However, my ears are like yours so I listen to everything now.

What is it idling at it in the videos? It seems you just started it, and it still is idling high. When the idle lowers the lifter noise is more evident. Click on my signature link to youtube and compare the two.
__________________
E9X Picture Game: 63 points (64-1)
My N52 before BMW USA replaced the cylinder head:www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhLP-RkFGXM
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2011, 05:33 PM   #1885
06Chase
Registered
0
Rep
3
Posts

 
Drives: '06 330i 6MT
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Newport News, VA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DL View Post
06Chase,

If I had not gone through the whole issue with my N52 I would say I do not hear a thing. However, I cannot be 100 percent. Could be my speakers, could be your recording? If I had your car and not come across this thread, I would have never heard a thing based on your videos. However, my ears are like yours so I listen to everything now.

What is it idling at it in the videos? It seems you just started it, and it still is idling high. When the idle lowers the lifter noise is more evident. Click on my signature link to youtube and compare the two.
I had just gotten home from work. Car was turned off for approximately 10 minutes. I believe I cut it on and waited long enough to let the RPMs drop to about 800, which is roughly my normal idle speed.

I appreciate your input. That definitely makes me feel a little bit better. I get that you are in the same boat as me as far as mind tricks are concerned. I'm just super worried now, as my warranty is up in ~750 miles.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2011, 05:46 PM   #1886
DL
Captain
DL's Avatar
United_States
8
Rep
866
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 AW E92 N52
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Upstate NY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06Chase View Post
I had just gotten home from work. Car was turned off for approximately 10 minutes. I believe I cut it on and waited long enough to let the RPMs drop to about 800, which is roughly my normal idle speed.

I appreciate your input. That definitely makes me feel a little bit better. I get that you are in the same boat as me as far as mind tricks are concerned. I'm just super worried now, as my warranty is up in ~750 miles.
I would at least take it to the dealership and mention the noise you hear so they at least have your concern on record while under warrenty. Have them give it a check while under warrenty. It can only help more than hurt in the long run. BMW is well aware of this issue so at least get some paperwork going just in case. That is what I would do anyway.
__________________
E9X Picture Game: 63 points (64-1)
My N52 before BMW USA replaced the cylinder head:www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhLP-RkFGXM

Last edited by DL; 04-20-2011 at 05:53 PM.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2011, 06:29 PM   #1887
yoandry
First Lieutenant
yoandry's Avatar
Cuba
7
Rep
329
Posts

 
Drives: TiAg E90 ZSP & ZPP
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Naples, Florida

iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to yoandry Send a message via MSN to yoandry Send a message via Skype™ to yoandry
Agree with DL, i dont hear the ticking, try to record it tomorrow morning with the egine 100% cold, and leave it for 10 min to get idle. Then compare ur video with our. Get this untill ur warranty runs out, at least report it to the dealership. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2011, 08:31 AM   #1888
distortionist
New Member
0
Rep
23
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 328i
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Canada

iTrader: (0)

Hello, I dropped my car off yesterday for the ticking, they said they will replace the lifters, today I called to see how it is going, and they told me they had to order a new cam. I will not have my car till Monday. I have 10,000 KM left on my warranty... do you guys think it will come back by then ? I strongly believe the problem is with the head, and I have a feeling I wont hear ticking till winter comes, and I would be past my warranty then.

Do you guys think they will fix it under warranty if it comes back in winter ? will they change the head then ?

What I do not understand is why they don't replace the head initially since it is the issue.. why change lifters and cam, then wait till they die again, then change lifter, cam and head ? why not tackle the oil starvation problem right off? It seems more costly for BMW, parts and labour, more inconvenient for the buyer, I've been to BMW twice for this issue so far, the first time they had it for 2 days and couldn't replicate it. I sent them a recording now they have it again, so if it comes back, they have it again! The closest dealership to me is about 300km, so its not fun.

I still love that car to death tho I was looking at the new 2012 models.. makes me drool.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2011, 04:55 PM   #1889
DL
Captain
DL's Avatar
United_States
8
Rep
866
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 AW E92 N52
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Upstate NY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by distortionist View Post
Hello, I dropped my car off yesterday for the ticking, they said they will replace the lifters, today I called to see how it is going, and they told me they had to order a new cam. I will not have my car till Monday. I have 10,000 KM left on my warranty... do you guys think it will come back by then ? I strongly believe the problem is with the head, and I have a feeling I wont hear ticking till winter comes, and I would be past my warranty then.

Do you guys think they will fix it under warranty if it comes back in winter ? will they change the head then ?

What I do not understand is why they don't replace the head initially since it is the issue.. why change lifters and cam, then wait till they die again, then change lifter, cam and head ? why not tackle the oil starvation problem right off? It seems more costly for BMW, parts and labour, more inconvenient for the buyer, I've been to BMW twice for this issue so far, the first time they had it for 2 days and couldn't replicate it. I sent them a recording now they have it again, so if it comes back, they have it again! The closest dealership to me is about 300km, so its not fun.

I still love that car to death tho I was looking at the new 2012 models.. makes me drool.
This is my opinion,

As replacing the head costs BMW a small fortune BMW feels the lifter approach ( which is basically a band aid ) will work for enough people to get them to stop complaining. I think this may work for a large amount of BMW owners as most do not end up on e90post. For those in the know ( thank you e90post ), BMW has made this such a long process, I guess it just feels that the customer will eventually just pass the car along to someone else who does not read e90post.

Link to I what understand on warranty. Check with your dealer though, not sure how it works in Canada!

Delta provided a good response.

Link below.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...postcount=1832
__________________
E9X Picture Game: 63 points (64-1)
My N52 before BMW USA replaced the cylinder head:www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhLP-RkFGXM
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2011, 06:35 PM   #1890
distortionist
New Member
0
Rep
23
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 328i
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Canada

iTrader: (0)

Thanks DL. I believe the same would apply here, but I will bring it up to the SA when I pick it up to verify, thanks guys.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2011, 01:30 AM   #1891
Verbatim
Colonel
Verbatim's Avatar
United_States
37
Rep
2,555
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 335i
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: at the repair shop

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [5.00]
which n52's does this affect? (its a long thread, sorry for not reading it).
it appears from user's sigs that it includes 325's, 28's, and 30's?
1892 posts.. is this as serious as the hpfp's with the n54's
try not to flame
__________________

2008 BMW 335i Sedan | Sparkling Graphite | Sport | Premium | Navigation | Comfort Access | Logic7
Golf Tee | M3 Spoiler | LED Angel Eyes | 5000k Fogs | Resonator Delete | Black Kidney Grills | Black Finisher Rods | 35%/18% Tint |12mm/20mm (F/R) Spacers | Black Lines


Appreciate 0
      04-22-2011, 02:17 AM   #1892
DL
Captain
DL's Avatar
United_States
8
Rep
866
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 AW E92 N52
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Upstate NY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidkneiber View Post
which n52's does this affect? (its a long thread, sorry for not reading it).
it appears from user's sigs that it includes 325's, 28's, and 30's?
1892 posts.. is this as serious as the hpfp's with the n54's
try not to flame
A link to the TSB on the N52s with problems via another member cimbali.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...postcount=1057
__________________
E9X Picture Game: 63 points (64-1)
My N52 before BMW USA replaced the cylinder head:www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhLP-RkFGXM

Last edited by DL; 04-22-2011 at 02:36 AM.
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:09 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST