E90Post
 


MINHS Auto Care Center
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Metallic Ticking noise coming from engine?



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-07-2012, 03:31 PM   #2113
loosechange19
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: 2006 330i
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: indiana

Posts: 34
iTrader: (0)

mine has been ticking for the last 5K miles

i had the lifters changed 2K miles ago and they looked absolutely fine

i dono how long i'll have the car but i have no plans of selling it and i have zero plans of changing the head

i'll let everyone know if anything happens

otherwise still good as gold
loosechange19 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-07-2012, 03:58 PM   #2114
baege
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2014 Porsche Cayman S
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Toronto, CAnada

Posts: 281
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by loosechange19 View Post
mine has been ticking for the last 5K miles

i had the lifters changed 2K miles ago and they looked absolutely fine

i dono how long i'll have the car but i have no plans of selling it and i have zero plans of changing the head

i'll let everyone know if anything happens

otherwise still good as gold
Do you have a particular reason why you would not proceed with the replacement of the head?
baege is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-07-2012, 04:27 PM   #2115
Blubaron79
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Blubaron79's Avatar
 
Drives: '14 435 XDrive
Join Date: May 2009
Location: PA

Posts: 1,812
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustinMN View Post
dont they all do this a bit?
Ours cars. (335s) Will knock a little because of the direct injection.
__________________
'14 435 XDrive: Mineral Grey, MSport, 19's, Coral Leather, Alum. Trim, Every option (except Active Cruise), MPPK, black grille, clear bra.
Blubaron79 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-07-2012, 07:15 PM   #2116
AddictedToBavarian
My other ride is a Bianchi Infinito
 
AddictedToBavarian's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 328xi
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: North Jersey

Posts: 2,723
iTrader: (0)

Spoke to my Service Manager today. I'm taking it in Thursday to show them the videos of the tick and let them look at it. I asked if I could take the car back home with me while I await approval of the PUMA case and for the cylinder head to arrive, he said that was ok.

Honestly, I'm extremely nervous about this. My tick is extremely rare, but I really wanted to get this taken care of before I have to pay $50 a visit with CPO. Hope this doesn't open a can of worms.
AddictedToBavarian is offline   Portugal
0
Reply With Quote
      02-07-2012, 08:45 PM   #2117
loosechange19
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: 2006 330i
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: indiana

Posts: 34
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ONLYZ4COUPE IN GTA View Post
Do you have a particular reason why you would not proceed with the replacement of the head?
its 5 grand in parts 2 to 3 grand in labor. Its not a cheap thing to just pull out of my pocket for car worth 13 to 14K on a good day

i'm out of warranty and BMW has given the big finger to all who are out of warranty even tho they know its their fault

i hate BMW for this but i love the car.
loosechange19 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-07-2012, 09:33 PM   #2118
AddictedToBavarian
My other ride is a Bianchi Infinito
 
AddictedToBavarian's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 328xi
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: North Jersey

Posts: 2,723
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by loosechange19 View Post
its 5 grand in parts 2 to 3 grand in labor. Its not a cheap thing to just pull out of my pocket for car worth 13 to 14K on a good day

i'm out of warranty and BMW has given the big finger to all who are out of warranty even tho they know its their fault

i hate BMW for this but i love the car.
I'm sure he asked because you made it seem as if it was your decision to not have the head replaced. Maybe you can talk to BMWNA and ask them to do a good will repair as they know this is a problem and the lifters didn't do it for you.
AddictedToBavarian is offline   Portugal
0
Reply With Quote
      02-07-2012, 09:59 PM   #2119
loosechange19
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: 2006 330i
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: indiana

Posts: 34
iTrader: (0)

i have a problem with my SRS system as well

imho thats a big manufacturing problem and has nothing to do with me as a consumer since i can't fix it correctly

the SRS system should be warrantied for life unless altered by the owner...which clearly i haven't done

anyway the moral of the story is i tried having that replaced for the life of me and nada thing happened..

i assume the same will be true for the head
loosechange19 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-08-2012, 06:32 PM   #2120
Aries326
Major
 
Aries326's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 Z4 3.0si
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: NY

Posts: 1,017
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 328xi0wner View Post
Spoke to my Service Manager today. I'm taking it in Thursday to show them the videos of the tick and let them look at it. I asked if I could take the car back home with me while I await approval of the PUMA case and for the cylinder head to arrive, he said that was ok.

Honestly, I'm extremely nervous about this. My tick is extremely rare, but I really wanted to get this taken care of before I have to pay $50 a visit with CPO. Hope this doesn't open a can of worms.
I'm really curious as to why the variability in how frequent the tick happens. I've read that people say changing the lifter fixes their ticks and for other people, it doesn't make a difference. I just had my lifters changed but just the other night, when I was about to go out for a midnight drive, the car was ticking again. Weird. Time to go back to the shop.
__________________
Aries326 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-08-2012, 06:36 PM   #2121
AddictedToBavarian
My other ride is a Bianchi Infinito
 
AddictedToBavarian's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 328xi
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: North Jersey

Posts: 2,723
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aries326 View Post
I'm really curious as to why the variability in how frequent the tick happens. I've read that people say changing the lifter fixes their ticks and for other people, it doesn't make a difference. I just had my lifters changed but just the other night, when I was about to go out for a midnight drive, the car was ticking again. Weird. Time to go back to the shop.
The lifters are a band aid and they know it, it's just a waste of time. My case was different though. My cars been quiet for quite a while after the lifters. Others it's non stop even with new lifters.
AddictedToBavarian is offline   Portugal
0
Reply With Quote
      02-08-2012, 11:49 PM   #2122
SELAX43
New Member
 
SELAX43's Avatar
 
Drives: 330i Jet Black on Black Dakota
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Long Island, NY

Posts: 20
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
I'm aware of this issue like most E90 owners on this post and had the dealer replace the lifters at about 33000 miles. The ticking was never loud but present intermittently. Now with the lifters replaced I almost never hear the tick--almost. So a few times a year I do hear it for a couple of minutes and then it goes away. BTW my 2006 330i runs great and I have no other concerns related to the performance of this car. So do I push the dealer to replace the head? I'm not certain without knowing real damage is occurring. Pictures of worn parts would help convince me. It just kills me to have someone take the engine apart again. Fix this but now something else is not right.
I plan to keep this car for years but it is a second car and doesn't get many miles each year. Are there many e90 330 owners out there who maybe did what I had done (replace the lifters) many mile ago and all is well today? Meaning can the engine last without replacing the head?
SELAX43 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-09-2012, 12:04 AM   #2123
SELAX43
New Member
 
SELAX43's Avatar
 
Drives: 330i Jet Black on Black Dakota
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Long Island, NY

Posts: 20
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
BTW-- I have 39900 miles now putting on about 7000 miles a year. Would like to hear from 330 owners with 50, 60+ K miles on the N52.
SELAX43 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-09-2012, 05:09 AM   #2124
AddictedToBavarian
My other ride is a Bianchi Infinito
 
AddictedToBavarian's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 328xi
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: North Jersey

Posts: 2,723
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SELAX43 View Post
I'm aware of this issue like most E90 owners on this post and had the dealer replace the lifters at about 33000 miles. The ticking was never loud but present intermittently. Now with the lifters replaced I almost never hear the tick--almost. So a few times a year I do hear it for a couple of minutes and then it goes away. BTW my 2006 330i runs great and I have no other concerns related to the performance of this car. So do I push the dealer to replace the head? I'm not certain without knowing real damage is occurring. Pictures of worn parts would help convince me. It just kills me to have someone take the engine apart again. Fix this but now something else is not right.
I plan to keep this car for years but it is a second car and doesn't get many miles each year. Are there many e90 330 owners out there who maybe did what I had done (replace the lifters) many mile ago and all is well today? Meaning can the engine last without replacing the head?
I'm in the same boat as you. After the lifters it barely happens. I'm still getting it done though because eventually it will need it.
AddictedToBavarian is offline   Portugal
0
Reply With Quote
      02-09-2012, 02:54 PM   #2125
Bavarian13
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: E90 335, E36 M3
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Carmel

Posts: 252
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blubaron79 View Post
Ours cars. (335s) Will knock a little because of the direct injection.
got a video of the knock? when my engine is cold it makes a slight noise, when it warms up it's not as evident but still there if you really listen.
Bavarian13 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-09-2012, 11:29 PM   #2126
LovingLife
oh Yea
 
LovingLife's Avatar
 
Drives: Montego e92
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: SoCal

Posts: 14
iTrader: (0)

... anyone else go in recently to have their lifters and rollers replaced again? apparently BMW redesigned those two parts to actually solve the problem.. I'm thinking it's smart on their end (if it indeed resolves the issue) to prevent the much more expensive head job
LovingLife is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-10-2012, 08:47 AM   #2127
SELAX43
New Member
 
SELAX43's Avatar
 
Drives: 330i Jet Black on Black Dakota
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Long Island, NY

Posts: 20
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
The first I heard of this, did BMW redesign the lifters and rollers? Please provide any technical details. Is there a bulletin? And if you had it done provide part numbers from the service record.
SELAX43 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-10-2012, 09:54 AM   #2128
AddictedToBavarian
My other ride is a Bianchi Infinito
 
AddictedToBavarian's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 328xi
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: North Jersey

Posts: 2,723
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SELAX43 View Post
The first I heard of this, did BMW redesign the lifters and rollers? Please provide any technical details. Is there a bulletin? And if you had it done provide part numbers from the service record.
SI B 11 09 07
Engine January 2009
Technical Service

View Full Image

This Service Information bulletin supersedes SI 11 09 07 dated April 2008.




View Full Image
designates changes to this revision



SUBJECT
Intermittent Hydraulic Valve Adjuster (HVA): "Ticking" or "Rattling" Noises




MODEL

View Full Image
All E82, E83, E85, E86, E88, E60, E61, E70, E90, E91, E92, and E93 with the N51, N52 or N52K engines





SITUATION
An occasional ticking or rattling noise from the HVA elements may occur during cold engine starts or frequent short-distance driving.



CAUSE
In these situations, the HVA elements may not yet have been supplied with sufficient amounts of air-free oil. This condition will not cause any damage to the engine, and usually remedies itself with a longer driving distance or operating times at full operating temperature.



CORRECTION
In the event of a customer complaint, please perform the following the HVA bleeding procedure.



PROCEDURE
Important notes:



The bleed time may take anywhere from between two minutes and (in rare cases) to a maximum of 30 minutes. This procedure is to be performed on a level surface with the vehicle stationary, and in a properly ventilated area.



Procedure preconditions:



Engine oil level correct - neither underfilled nor overfilled



Engine running at operating temperature




Bring the engine up to an operating speed (no load) of 2000-3000 rpm and maintain this condition for three minutes (bleeding procedure).


Let the engine idle for 15-30 seconds and reevaluate whether the noise is still present or not.




Engine quiet - procedure is finished.


Engine noise is still present - repeat the procedure; perform steps #1 and #2 up to a maximum of 5 times.


Only if the noise remains after performing the bleeding procedure 5 times: proceed by performing the procedure for a final time, also at an engine operating speed of 2000-3000 rpm, but for a total time duration of 15 minutes.

BMW Technician

BMW Master Certifed level 1 Technican
AddictedToBavarian is offline   Portugal
0
Reply With Quote
      02-10-2012, 09:58 AM   #2129
AddictedToBavarian
My other ride is a Bianchi Infinito
 
AddictedToBavarian's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 328xi
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: North Jersey

Posts: 2,723
iTrader: (0)

I went in yesterday to begin process on replacing head. Before I went I spoke to manager I asked if I can come in, get the process rolling for the new head (PUMA case and such), take my car home, and only return when the approval and parts are in. He agreed. When I got there, it was a different story. Now he said that depending on my VIN I might get updated lifters BEFORE the head and I'd have to leave my car there, and so on. NO, stop delaying the head replacement. That is the ultimate real fix. I got a little frustrated and left without leaving the car.

I'll return when the tick really begins to annoy me, as the lifter replacement (1/2011) has really patched it very well.

I guess you can do that when you have CPO until 2014. I'll DEFINITELY get the head replaced by then.
AddictedToBavarian is offline   Portugal
0
Reply With Quote
      02-11-2012, 03:35 PM   #2130
Aries326
Major
 
Aries326's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 Z4 3.0si
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: NY

Posts: 1,017
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 328xi0wner
Quote:
Originally Posted by SELAX43 View Post
The first I heard of this, did BMW redesign the lifters and rollers? Please provide any technical details. Is there a bulletin? And if you had it done provide part numbers from the service record.
SI B 11 09 07
Engine January 2009
Technical Service

View Full Image

This Service Information bulletin supersedes SI 11 09 07 dated April 2008.




View Full Image
designates changes to this revision



SUBJECT
Intermittent Hydraulic Valve Adjuster (HVA): "Ticking" or "Rattling" Noises




MODEL

View Full Image
All E82, E83, E85, E86, E88, E60, E61, E70, E90, E91, E92, and E93 with the N51, N52 or N52K engines





SITUATION
An occasional ticking or rattling noise from the HVA elements may occur during cold engine starts or frequent short-distance driving.



CAUSE
In these situations, the HVA elements may not yet have been supplied with sufficient amounts of air-free oil. This condition will not cause any damage to the engine, and usually remedies itself with a longer driving distance or operating times at full operating temperature.



CORRECTION
In the event of a customer complaint, please perform the following the HVA bleeding procedure.



PROCEDURE
Important notes:



The bleed time may take anywhere from between two minutes and (in rare cases) to a maximum of 30 minutes. This procedure is to be performed on a level surface with the vehicle stationary, and in a properly ventilated area.



Procedure preconditions:



Engine oil level correct - neither underfilled nor overfilled



Engine running at operating temperature




Bring the engine up to an operating speed (no load) of 2000-3000 rpm and maintain this condition for three minutes (bleeding procedure).


Let the engine idle for 15-30 seconds and reevaluate whether the noise is still present or not.




Engine quiet - procedure is finished.


Engine noise is still present - repeat the procedure; perform steps #1 and #2 up to a maximum of 5 times.


Only if the noise remains after performing the bleeding procedure 5 times: proceed by performing the procedure for a final time, also at an engine operating speed of 2000-3000 rpm, but for a total time duration of 15 minutes.

BMW Technician

BMW Master Certifed level 1 Technican
This is the old one. The new service bulletin skips the bleeding process altogether and goes straight to swapping out the lifters.
__________________
Aries326 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-11-2012, 03:40 PM   #2131
Aries326
Major
 
Aries326's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 Z4 3.0si
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: NY

Posts: 1,017
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 328xi0wner
I went in yesterday to begin process on replacing head. Before I went I spoke to manager I asked if I can come in, get the process rolling for the new head (PUMA case and such), take my car home, and only return when the approval and parts are in. He agreed. When I got there, it was a different story. Now he said that depending on my VIN I might get updated lifters BEFORE the head and I'd have to leave my car there, and so on. NO, stop delaying the head replacement. That is the ultimate real fix. I got a little frustrated and left without leaving the car.

I'll return when the tick really begins to annoy me, as the lifter replacement (1/2011) has really patched it very well.

I guess you can do that when you have CPO until 2014. I'll DEFINITELY get the head replaced by then.
I wouldn't sweat it. The dealer still has to go through the motions of replacing the lifters first as recommended by the service bulletin. I'm sure they won't get reimbursed by BMW NA if they didn't follow procedure. Even the SA I took my car to said they would still have to go through the proper steps before replacing the cylinder head. My lifters have been replaced but I still get the ticking. The car will definitely go back to the dealer for head replacement when the weather clears up.
__________________
Aries326 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-11-2012, 04:02 PM   #2132
Blubaron79
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Blubaron79's Avatar
 
Drives: '14 435 XDrive
Join Date: May 2009
Location: PA

Posts: 1,812
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavarian13 View Post
got a video of the knock? when my engine is cold it makes a slight noise, when it warms up it's not as evident but still there if you really listen.
I don't have a video, but the way you describing is how your engine should sound.
__________________
'14 435 XDrive: Mineral Grey, MSport, 19's, Coral Leather, Alum. Trim, Every option (except Active Cruise), MPPK, black grille, clear bra.
Blubaron79 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-11-2012, 09:02 PM   #2133
B1N
Private First Class
 
Drives: 2008 e93 BSM
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Burnaby

Posts: 138
iTrader: (0)

i browsed the last few pages of this thread, but does anyone have the official most up to date pdf file of the service bulletein for this problem that I can print out and show my dealer incase they dont want to fix it?
B1N is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-11-2012, 09:15 PM   #2134
B1N
Private First Class
 
Drives: 2008 e93 BSM
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Burnaby

Posts: 138
iTrader: (0)

nm i found it....but another question regarding warranty, i have another few months on my original warranty, so if i get this fixed according to the service bulletin, will this be on warranty for another 4 years, or is it still over in a few months?...if so what happens a year after i get it replaced and the problem persists?
B1N is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:56 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST