E90Post

Bimmer Retrofit

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > First door ding...

02-21-2006, 04:29 PM   #1
eimSD
Enlisted Member

Drives: Arctic 325i

Unhappy First door ding...

After almost 6 months with this car, it picked up its first door ding, when my husband took it to the post office a few days ago -- he said when he came out, he saw a car with what looked like a recent Earl Sheib paint job, red, speeding out of the lot, when he first saw it there was a big chunk of red paint on the drivers side rear door, bottom half (below the ridge); by the time he got home, most of the paint must have flaked off, it was mostly gone, he cleaned up what was left as best he could with some hand cleaner. It's really not that noticable, quite small, there is a tiny ding, with small scratch and very faint remnants of the red paint. Where's the best place to take something like this -- a dealer, so they can get the matching paint? Obviously it wouldn't be a paintless dent removal, I've seen some ads for places that do those. Anyplace good in San Diego? What kind of cost? Probably won't get it taken care of right away; someone at work says her husband has someone come out to their house to take care of dings, but does it when it's picked up a few, 2 or 3.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2006, 04:48 PM   #2
younghov85
Captain

Drives: 2006 E90 black 325

Send a message via AIM to younghov85
A picture might help for us, i have a ding about an inch long and to get it out is 125 dollars
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2006, 06:04 PM   #3
agarbati
Second Lieutenant

Drives: E90, Saph Blk 330i

Definitely check out PDR if it's not on a metal crease.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2006, 06:13 PM   #4
BitStream
First Lieutenant
United_States

Drives: 2006 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to BitStream
I had a few dings on my last car taken out with PDR.

Dent Wizard in NJ. They came HIGHLY recommended and did an excellent job. Not sure if they're out on the West coast though.
If it's just a tiny scratch I would probably stick with PDR and do a minor touch up on the scratch. NOTHING like a factory paint job.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2006, 03:54 PM   #5
mjh93sa
Major General
England

Drives: M135i

Garage List
A PDR can be used to remove the dent by a bodyshop and so save you (or $$$) before they then repaint. However, they cannot always gain access to the area to actually push the dent out.

Last year I had a couple of fairly small dents put in the passenger door by a pebble or something kicked up by another car when parked near a beach. The bodyshop were going to use PDR techniques to push the dent out and then respray. But as the dents were in line with the door handle they couldn't gain access to push them out. They therefore had to strip down the whole of the interior door trim etc to get at the inside, adding a day to the repair time.

I was ready for a bit of a fight on price, but they did it for the same price that they had originally quoted. It may have helped that the bosyshop is attatched to the dealer that I bought from, but getting a quote and not an estimate to rectify the damage certainly puts you in a stronger position should the work become more complicated than they had allowed for.

For comparison, the PDR alone would have been about 75 (approx $130), but as soon as painting got involved it became 280 (approx $490).

Expensive, but they have done a great job, spraying both doors to blend the paint. I could only tell exactly where they had sprayed when I washed the car next and could spot the section that didn't have a layer of Carnuba wax to really bead the water. After washing and waxing you'd never know that any work had been done there.

Gone: Fiesta - Focus - E46 320dSE - E91 330dMSport - E82 135iMSport - R55 JCW Clubman
Now: M135i with lots of toys
Appreciate 0