E90Post
 


European Auto Source
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > EGR Cooler - Keep breaking it.



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      08-12-2015, 04:48 AM   #1
chrissyw
Enlisted Member
0
Rep
46
Posts

Drives: E90 320d M Sport
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

EGR Cooler - Keep breaking it.

I've got a mapped E90 320d (m47) running at 210bhp and I keep blowing the EGR cooler on it........happens when I've been giving it some welly it seems.

The flexi copper coloured pipe keeps splitting, releasing exhaust gasses into the cabin.

I replaced my old one with a part worn and it's failed already.

BMW want 300 for a new one and i'll pay it if the problem goes away but is this related to the map and will the new one blow again?
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2015, 06:37 AM   #2
Aragorn30d
Lieutenant
30
Rep
598
Posts

Drives: E90 330d
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Fife

iTrader: (0)

why not just blank the EGR at the manifold and get it mapped out...
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2015, 06:43 AM   #3
chrissyw
Enlisted Member
0
Rep
46
Posts

Drives: E90 320d M Sport
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

My EGR is mapped out.

This is the EGR cooler on the front of the engine that cools the exhaust gases.

Can't see how it can be removed?
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2015, 09:09 AM   #4
Icekube
Captain
Scotland
16
Rep
782
Posts

Drives: E91 320D
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Livingston

iTrader: (3)

The fact that your blowing out the flexi bit, would presumably mean that either the cooler itself or your EGR valve itself is blocked, and that flexi bit is just the weak point. (have you fitted a blank?)

I removed mine (did you send me a question on ebay about the one I'm selling?)

you have to block the exhaust manifold, get a new "throttle body" and block 2 coolant pipes, one 15mm and one 20mm. I used some cut down bolts with jubilee clips.

thread here (pictures 8 & 9):
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1147631
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2015, 09:55 AM   #5
Aragorn30d
Lieutenant
30
Rep
598
Posts

Drives: E90 330d
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Fife

iTrader: (0)

chrissy:

If the EGR is mapped out, the cooler is redundant. But to remove it you need to blank off the connections at each end, and also the coolant lines.

I think the coolant blanks you need are 18mm. The exhaust manifold blank can be purchased on ebay, as can a replacement for the EGR valve on the intake.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2015, 03:43 PM   #6
Dan-danGT
Captain
Dan-danGT's Avatar
United Kingdom
9
Rep
632
Posts

Drives: E90 330d M-Sport
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Nottinghamshire

iTrader: (0)

You could just blank off either end and leave the cooler there so the coolant can flow through it and circulate properly.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2015, 04:31 PM   #7
Aragorn30d
Lieutenant
30
Rep
598
Posts

Drives: E90 330d
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Fife

iTrader: (0)

the cooler doesnt need to be there for the coolant to circulate properly.

Its T'd off the main coolant lines at either side, so removing it doesnt affect the coolant flow.

It also lets you get rid of the EGR thermostat, save you replacing it when it goes faulty!
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2015, 04:06 AM   #8
chrissyw
Enlisted Member
0
Rep
46
Posts

Drives: E90 320d M Sport
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Icekube Yes that was me

I couldn't understand the need for the EGR cooler to still be there.

Right so.........

I need an EGR delete basically for the intake? Yours looks good quality, have you got a link for it?

What did you do with your wire to it, block it off?

Any idea what exact coolant blanks I need!?

Glad you have all contributed to this, I was about to order a brand new one from BMW.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2015, 04:34 AM   #9
Aragorn30d
Lieutenant
30
Rep
598
Posts

Drives: E90 330d
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Fife

iTrader: (0)

What exact engine do you have?

Craigs is an Allard EGR delete, designed for an E46. It fits fine on the E90 but doesnt have the quick release fitting on the end. If you wanted to use that one, you'd need to swap out the hose from the intercooler that attaches to it. It'll also only fit if you DONT have the electronic throttle body in front of the EGR valve, i dont think M47's do, but if that is there, you need a different one which they also sell.

http://www.allardaluminiumproducts.c...elete-kit.html

the exhaust manifold blank came from ebay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/53-8-mm-EG...item2a31511cc9

Then for the coolant hoses, we just cut the old pipes and jubilee clipped in some bolts to block it off, but a neater job would be to use two of these in 18mm:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Auto-Silic...item43ceea0296
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2015, 04:58 AM   #10
chrissyw
Enlisted Member
0
Rep
46
Posts

Drives: E90 320d M Sport
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aragorn30d View Post
What exact engine do you have?

Craigs is an Allard EGR delete, designed for an E46. It fits fine on the E90 but doesnt have the quick release fitting on the end. If you wanted to use that one, you'd need to swap out the hose from the intercooler that attaches to it. It'll also only fit if you DONT have the electronic throttle body in front of the EGR valve, i dont think M47's do, but if that is there, you need a different one which they also sell.

http://www.allardaluminiumproducts.c...elete-kit.html

the exhaust manifold blank came from ebay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/53-8-mm-EG...item2a31511cc9

Then for the coolant hoses, we just cut the old pipes and jubilee clipped in some bolts to block it off, but a neater job would be to use two of these in 18mm:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Auto-Silic...item43ceea0296
Engine is an M47.

Been looking at the EGR deletes and they mention an anti shudder valve?

Mine has a clip on intake pipe that then connects to the EGR. Does that mean I need an older e46 one then?
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2015, 05:30 AM   #11
chrissyw
Enlisted Member
0
Rep
46
Posts

Drives: E90 320d M Sport
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

99% sure that's my EGR valve.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EGR-VALVE-...-/161220278949
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2015, 06:19 AM   #12
chrissyw
Enlisted Member
0
Rep
46
Posts

Drives: E90 320d M Sport
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Appreciate 0
      08-13-2015, 06:30 AM   #13
borinous
Lieutenant
borinous's Avatar
5
Rep
465
Posts

Drives: E90 320d SE
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Essex

iTrader: (1)

hmm ive just started getting exhuast fumes in the cabin after a blast of the beans!! thought it could be the exhaust blowing at the flexi or CAT but could well be the same issue.
Not had chance to inspect but if it is the same think i may look at EGR delete.

Question though: mine is also re-mapped if i EGR delete will i have to get it re-re-mapped? or is there away of cheating the system?

Could you just blank the EGR at the Exhaust end? or will that still throw warnings and errors?
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2015, 07:25 AM   #14
chrissyw
Enlisted Member
0
Rep
46
Posts

Drives: E90 320d M Sport
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by borinous View Post
hmm ive just started getting exhuast fumes in the cabin after a blast of the beans!! thought it could be the exhaust blowing at the flexi or CAT but could well be the same issue.
Not had chance to inspect but if it is the same think i may look at EGR delete.

Question though: mine is also re-mapped if i EGR delete will i have to get it re-re-mapped? or is there away of cheating the system?

Could you just blank the EGR at the Exhaust end? or will that still throw warnings and errors?
If you don't get it mapped out, the engine management light will come.

Depends if you can live with it or not.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2015, 08:06 AM   #15
borinous
Lieutenant
borinous's Avatar
5
Rep
465
Posts

Drives: E90 320d SE
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Essex

iTrader: (1)

thanks, just been reading through this thread http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...egr+off&page=8

which outlines the same. However some have said they get codes but no EML?
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2015, 09:07 AM   #16
chrissyw
Enlisted Member
0
Rep
46
Posts

Drives: E90 320d M Sport
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by borinous View Post
thanks, just been reading through this thread http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...egr+off&page=8

which outlines the same. However some have said they get codes but no EML?
Soon as I disconnected the small hose going into the side of the EGR the EML light came on.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2015, 09:24 AM   #17
borinous
Lieutenant
borinous's Avatar
5
Rep
465
Posts

Drives: E90 320d SE
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Essex

iTrader: (1)

to be honest id be surprised if it didn't throw an EML. but if my EGR cooler is blowing like yours blanking it off is a cheap temporay fix. Id rather have a EML that i know the reason for than gas myself out with diesel exhaust fumes!!

Looks like the kit the guys are using in the states has two blanks. one for the exhaust end and one at the EGR/Throttle end. Cant seem to find anything like that on Ebay.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2015, 09:26 AM   #18
Aragorn30d
Lieutenant
30
Rep
598
Posts

Drives: E90 330d
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Fife

iTrader: (0)

chrissy: You have the electronic throttle in front of the EGR unit, so you need the other one that allard sell with a bolted flange on the front:

http://www.allardaluminiumproducts.c...gr-delete.html

If your EML came on when you removed that small pipe (assuming you blocked the pipe and didnt cause a vacuum leak) then it probably means the EGR is not disabled in your tune. You'll need to get the EGR disabled in your tune to get the light off and properly delete the EGR system. You can still go ahead with the delete, but the EML light will stay on until you get it properly removed from the tune.
Appreciate 2
      08-13-2015, 11:14 AM   #19
chrissyw
Enlisted Member
0
Rep
46
Posts

Drives: E90 320d M Sport
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aragorn30d View Post
chrissy: You have the electronic throttle in front of the EGR unit, so you need the other one that allard sell with a bolted flange on the front:

http://www.allardaluminiumproducts.c...gr-delete.html

If your EML came on when you removed that small pipe (assuming you blocked the pipe and didnt cause a vacuum leak) then it probably means the EGR is not disabled in your tune. You'll need to get the EGR disabled in your tune to get the light off and properly delete the EGR system. You can still go ahead with the delete, but the EML light will stay on until you get it properly removed from the tune.
Thanks Aragorn!

So basically I unbolt the throttle body and bolt it onto the new delete and then connect the intercooler pipe up?
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2015, 11:20 AM   #20
chrissyw
Enlisted Member
0
Rep
46
Posts

Drives: E90 320d M Sport
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aragorn30d View Post
chrissy: You have the electronic throttle in front of the EGR unit, so you need the other one that allard sell with a bolted flange on the front:

http://www.allardaluminiumproducts.c...gr-delete.html

If your EML came on when you removed that small pipe (assuming you blocked the pipe and didnt cause a vacuum leak) then it probably means the EGR is not disabled in your tune. You'll need to get the EGR disabled in your tune to get the light off and properly delete the EGR system. You can still go ahead with the delete, but the EML light will stay on until you get it properly removed from the tune.
Aragorn30d

I've just found another photo of an E90 320d's engine bay and it looks identical to mine



That one doesn't have the electronic throttle body on it does it?
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2015, 11:47 AM   #21
Icekube
Captain
Scotland
16
Rep
782
Posts

Drives: E91 320D
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Livingston

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissyw View Post
Aragorn30d

I've just found another photo of an E90 320d's engine bay and it looks identical to mine



That one doesn't have the electronic throttle body on it does it?
you sure thats an E90 picture?

mine certainly didn't have the throttle body like yours has, but also that engine bay just looks a bit different to the E90, the air intake for instance, and the brake fluid reservoir looks different, also the pipes in the top right look different too?
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2015, 12:35 PM   #22
chrissyw
Enlisted Member
0
Rep
46
Posts

Drives: E90 320d M Sport
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Just spotted the pipes on the left and it looks like an E46 now.

I'm 99% sure that's my EGR valve though.
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:58 PM.




e90post
e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST