E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > *** Calling All Members With Problems With The 320i ***

03-22-2011, 06:21 AM   #793
SCoast
Registered
Rep
Drives: 320i ES Saloon

Recently my November 2008 320i ES suffered engine warning light illumination, juddering as if the car was driving on a corrugated surface, and loss of power. I was on an A road at the time so fortunately was able to get to the hard shoulder without an accident.

BMW Assistance directed me to a nearby Main Dealer. They downloaded new software, and replaced one injector and coil, but warned that the other three cylinders were vulnerable. What happens if the next one goes on the M5?
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2011, 09:44 AM   #794
Mattstorm
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 116i Sport F20

Its strange how this issue causes everything from minor blips to full failure. I don't know wether it will help or not but I'm only using V Power fuel which is designed to help clean the injectors and the engine as its used. Since buying the car my first tank was 95 RON, my second was 99 RON V power and the mpg is increasing, I will post the results everytime I fill up as I work it out tank by tank to give an exact trend. The 99 RON fuel is not improving the tickover sound tho, I prefer the sound of my Dad's 520D!
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2011, 10:03 AM   #795
E92westy
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F20 118d Sport

I tried the V Power route.
Made no effect to mine performance or tickover noise....
      03-24-2011, 09:41 AM   #796
Mattstorm
Enlisted Member
Rep

This is might sound a bit stupid but these probelms with rough running to serious failure all come down to Fuel Injectors and or Coils, isn't it about time a new part was designed rather than replacing like for like??????

Does anybody know exactly which component has the fault and why!?????

This thread goes back a long time, there must be some advancement in what is exactly causing the issue?

Having said all that, the sun is out and my 320i is running smooth as anything, the occasional blip has dissapeared
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2011, 02:47 AM   #797
jotty
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320I CONV

Got mine back last night, dealer was great (Williams Bolton), coil pack and software done.

So far so good but we will see !
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2011, 08:11 AM   #798
Mattstorm
Enlisted Member
Rep

HELP!!! The blip has come back but now its more jerky, the car doesn't seem to be missfiring and there is no power loss but in 3rd gear doing 20mph, slowly accelerating to 30 under light throttle through the rpm range 1500 to 1900 the car is jerky, not like a full on kangaroo situation but definite jerkyness! no warning lights, car sounds fine. Its booked in with BMW for Saturday to read the fault codes, if there are any!
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2011, 08:22 AM   #799
Masterplan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 & G05 X5

You may or may not have seen my recent post about wanting to switch to a hatch. I too read this thread a year ago, hoping these issues wouldn't happen to me. In time, the same faults started developing, and before I knew it, I was 12 months down the line with 11 dealer visits under my belt for warranty repairs.

If you are experiencing these issues, they will not go away. Take it from me.....get it fixed, and trade it in. You will not regret it!
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2011, 08:39 AM   #800
Mattstorm
Enlisted Member
Rep

What were your symptoms Masterplan? I'm confused with mine as my symptoms are not the power loss, missfiring, limp mode etc.. that everyone else seems to be getting. Mine could even go un-noticed by a driver not so fussy as me!
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2011, 12:32 PM   #801
Black Blade
Registered
Rep
Drives: E92 320i M Sport Coupe

I agree with Mattstorm. It seems that the only way to resolve these issues is to get rid of the car. That's what I did and I don't regret it. The two dealerships I went to gave all sorts of bullshit responses to the problems I reported, and these weren't just relating to the misfire/judder as I reported in my earlier post.

I thought my misfire was a fuelling problem. It just felt like the engine wasn't getting enough fuel and this problem would happen in various situations. For example I'd be driving along at 30 mph in 4th gear with the revs at approx 1700 rpm when the misfire happened and the car would judder. I noticed that when the misfire occurred under these conditions the needle in the fuel economy gauge (at the bottom of the rev counter) would swing rapidly from the 35 - 50 mpg mark towards the 15 mpg side (or whatever the lowest figure is - I can't remember), as if I'd floored the throttle, when in fact I hadn't moved it a millimetre.

At other times I'd be accelerating up through the gears and between 1500 and 2000 rpm the misfire/judder would occur and there'd be no power. A couple of seconds later the engine would respond and the power would come in forcing me to back off the throttle. If you've ever ridden a motorbike which has run out of fuel in the main tank and when you switch to the reserve fuel the power comes back in you'll know what I mean.

Occasionally the judder would occur while acclerating through the 1500 - 2000 rpm range but there would be no power loss.

Neither of the dealers I took the car to could find any reason for this behaviour as they said there were no fault codes and apart from the ineffective advice to run the car at high speed to clear the contaminants out of the catalytic converter they could not do anything to resolve these faults.

When this problem started to appear it was random and inconsistent however towards the end of the period I owned the car the judder was present on almost every drive. At first my wife thought it was my driving (yeah right; why has this never happened on any of the cars we owned previously? That'll be because none of them was a BMW 320i). When this started to happen when she drove the car she finally agreed it wasn't my driving!

I figured it would only get worse and could foresee more dissatisfaction for the BMW dealership network until the point where my car was out of warranty. By now I hated driving the car so it had to go while it was still saleable at two years old and 11,000 miles. It's still for sale at the dealership. I bloody well pampered that car and it's an absolute minter but I hope no-one on this forum goes anywhere near it.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2011, 12:34 PM   #802
Black Blade
Registered
Rep
Drives: E92 320i M Sport Coupe

Whoops I meant to say I agree with Masterplan! He gave the advice to trade in not Mattstorm. Apologies.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2011, 04:56 AM   #803
CoopersE90
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 Touring

Sitting in dealership again and now since ignition coil replacement I have all the problems that mattstorm reported in exactly the same gears and speeds. Looks like i'l be emailing the dealer I bought it from and beginning the fight to get replacement-to what I don't know.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2011, 09:46 AM   #804
Mattstorm
Enlisted Member
Rep

Sorry to hear about your problems CoopersE90. The problem I have is that I don't have obvious symptoms, it is very hard to replicate the problems. I'm going in on Saturday to have a fault code cleared (full catalytic converter) following the clearout process I did down the motorway. I've been told clearing this code as I know its there may solve the problem as having codes in the system can mess stuff up! If there are no other codes present I will drive away and see how things go, if my symptoms persist then it will go back in. I'll be very interested to know how you get on as you have the exact symptoms I do. Please let me know what your dealer comes up with!

Thanks

Matt
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2011, 01:25 PM   #805
eimer3107
Rep
Drives: E93 320i M Sport Le Mans Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCoast View Post
Recently my November 2008 320i ES suffered engine warning light illumination, juddering as if the car was driving on a corrugated surface, and loss of power. I was on an A road at the time so fortunately was able to get to the hard shoulder without an accident.

BMW Assistance directed me to a nearby Main Dealer. They downloaded new software, and replaced one injector and coil, but warned that the other three cylinders were vulnerable. What happens if the next one goes on the M5?
Mine did ! And the next one went on the M4. Both times I managed to get to the hard shoulder, but the second time was a bit hairy. I have two coils and one injector still to be replaced - expensive car with a cheap and shoddy approach to repair ! Unfortunately, it's a fleet car, and they wont let me off early.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2011, 02:30 PM   #806
daviep.sco
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 2.0d SE

Hi Guys
Just got my 2007 320i last week but I am starting to worry a bit with all the threds on this point, what do I need to look out for?

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2011, 02:36 AM   #807
Mattstorm
Enlisted Member
Rep

daviep.sco,

All I can say for me is the following:

Picked car up end of January 2011 a 57 plate 320i. Only problems were a slighlty loose handbrake and seemed to have a lot of steam coming from the exhaust when really cold. After a few days I noticed at idle 650rpm the car shivered or juddered and a couple of times it took a few turns of the engine to start. It went to BMW. No faults that could lead to bad starting could be found, the handbrake was tightened. They did find a fault with a oxygen sensor so it was changed. Seconds after driving the car away from the dealership it blips for the first time, basically feels like when you change gear and don't do a smooth job, your cruising along and then suddenly feel a weird jolt through the car. It did this a couple of times. A few days later it went back for an oil change and they read the codes. Now a fault on the CAT had come up saying it was full. I was told to give it a good run down the motorway which I did. since then it is now blipping all the time and now its developing a jerkyness when under light throttle through the 1500 - 2000rpm range at low speeds. It is going in tomorrow to have the CAT fault cleared as apparently this may be causing problems simply by being there. If anything else comes up then that will be sorted, if not I drive away and if the symptoms persist it will go back!

The 320i problems seem to span from slight jerkyness at slow speeds and missed beats causing this jolt or judder, to full on failure where you get engine warning light and the car souonds like a tractor.

This is my first BMW and I love the car but I'm starting to wish I'd spent a bit more and got the 320d as I have a horrible feeling this will be a 3 year love hate relationship

I intend to talk to my dealer tomorrow about BMW advancement on this problem as I find it hard to accept that an issue which has been arouond for years has not been sorted to stop the repeating fault stories you will read on this thread.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2011, 11:43 AM   #808
oily73
Registered
Rep
Drives: 07 E91 320i (pre ED)

Mattstorm

I too am noticing a lot of steam coming out of the exhust and a big cloud of it when I floored it the other day. Has this been confirmed to be an issue or another feature of the 320i

Although I have not experienced any jerkiness as of yet but I do seem to have a flat spot between 1500 to 2500 but I am just putting this down to an underpowered engine vs the weight of the car (tourer)..
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2011, 01:24 PM   #809
daviep.sco
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 2.0d SE

Thanks guys

Mine is an auto so I have to admit that I haven't had any problems so far, only had it a week but covered about 500 miles so everything looks ok.

This is my second BMW had a saloon 318diesel and I have to admit that I am still very happy with my 320i coupe, I suppose ever car has it's problems but hopefully mine will be ok.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2011, 05:49 PM   #810
my alias
Rep
Drives: 325i M-Sport Convertible

Mattstorm, apologies for some reason I couldnt get a message across to your Inbox, so here goes anyway........Drop me your email address and I'll send you some of my written correspondence which identifies to them and you what I have been through. But to answer your questions........ After the initial vists, which meant ignition coils and injectors done individually, I then had a further visit which meant 4 new injectors, 4 new ignition coils and 4 new plugs. Soon enough though the same problems were still occuring. The issues were not as severe, but I was still getting misfiring from the car. (Well I believed it to be misfires). Basically when gear had been changed (usually dropping down to second gear) and then giving it some throttle, the car would then shudder, almost like it was about to stall. During idling the rev counter would twitch about and at times it would feel like the car was about to stall.

More recently I've left my car with BMW for a couple of days while they left me a demonstrator. I went out in my car with a mechanic and service manager, and as expected it didnt really misbehave when I wanted it to. Only on one occasion though when the mechanic drove it, when he went from first to second the car shuddered, however he said he laboured the clutch a little, and wouldnt put the shudder down to a misfire, instead more a clutch issue (just to add to the mix). Anyway I left the car with them, and when it was returned they said the car had been fine for the manager who had been driving it for the previous couple of days. However they had defeated the object. Prior to his loan of it they ran a diagnostics on it, and although there was no misfires, the machine did read that one of the sensors had been "sparodically faulty". I asked what sensor and what it did but the manager conveniently didnt have that information. They replaced the sensor, had the manager drive the car, then returned it to me pointing out that there are no issues. Regardless, I maintain there is and continue to wait for a suitable replacement vehicle for me. They did offer me a couple of days ago however although it is the better V6 engine and less miles, it doesnt have leather, which for me is a prerequisite for a convertible. So things have been progressing.

I'm still a dog and I still have a bone. So this wont be resolved until I get the replacement. The car still drives like a bag of spanners, with the minor misfires every now and again, and regardless of what the diagnostics machine reads, I've lost confidence in the car, and will continue to press for the replacement, which I'm sure will be round the corner. Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2011, 10:44 AM   #811
jotty
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320I CONV

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotty View Post
Got mine back last night, dealer was great (Williams Bolton), coil pack and software done.

So far so good but we will see !
Oh Dear I knew it was to good to last, started her up this morning and she felt like a 1970's diesel on 3 cylinders. Car juddering and a def loss of power. This is a different symptom now for me but I have no doubt its connected.
Rang dealers and its going back in tomorrow.

Feel really fed up now.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2011, 03:31 PM   #812
Mattstorm
Enlisted Member
Rep

My alias, Thanks for your reply. I took mine in over the weekend to have the CAT fault code cleared, nothing else was on the system in terms of fault codes. Drove the car over the weekend and it was still doing its judder under light throttle so Its gone back in today. My dealer has been great and diagnosed problems with coils etc.. and have sorted me a car while we wait for parts. All I can hope is that once completed I will be one of the lucky ones which has no more problems.

Oily73, in reference to the steam, I think the faulty o2 sensor was causing the car to run richer hence the steam when cold outside, since that has been changed the steam thing went away, the problem I had with long starting also went as I think this may have been due to fuel left in the cylinders as it was running to rich causing almost a flooded engine scenario when it came to starting. since the sensor was changed the car was running as it should but as this meant leaner, it emphasised the other faults causing the jerkyness.

Jotty, sorry to here you are having a fresh batch of symptoms! What so annoying is that without this problem the 320i (I have the coupe) is a fabulous car to drive. I hope you get it sorted!

To everyone, during periods of time when everything is ok, does anybody still have the thing where at idle 650rpm the car can sometimes shudder or during these times should it be rock solid with no feeling when your sat in the seat?
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2011, 04:21 AM   #813
Mattstorm
Enlisted Member
Rep

My Car is ready Will pick it up after work and see how we go,

20K hassle free driving now would be nice. Think tonight a well deserved is in order!

Will post how I get on!
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2011, 08:41 AM   #814
Mattstorm
Enlisted Member
Rep

Car still missfiring, so going back. If its the same cylinders that have just been done, then what?
Appreciate 0