E90Post

Lux Angel Eyes

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Unbelievable - BMW Maintenance

04-25-2008, 04:17 PM   #45
Socom
Major General

Drives: 2010 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxL View Post
You should be getting free change at least once a year, regardless of mileage. Also, this oil change does not reset the mileage till next scheduled change, so theoretically, the next oil change can be in 6 months or even less after the first and they still have to do it. That is what my dealer told me and what everyone I know is getting. Do not let your dealer screw you.

On a separate note, I would not say that BMW made oil change intervals that long to reduce the cost of free maintenance. Look at facts - interval is the same everywhere, even in countries that do not get free oil changes. also, in Europe BMW had 25,000km (about 15K miles) oil change intervals long time ago (10+ years) and it was not on BMW's dime, so no reasons for conspiracies there. In fact, most cars in europe had 10K mile oil change intervals (for mineral oil, mind you) since about 15 years ago, and many of those cars are still on the road.

Also, the argument that 335 needs more frequent oil changes than a typical 4-banger is not entirely valid. Driving a car of the same size, the engine has to put out the same amount of power over time, and smaller engine actually gets more mechanical and thermal load. An example would be my old mazda 323, that used to go for 2-3 hours with engine not going below 4500rpm for a second (long highway drives near the drag limited top speed), overheating several times, once with radiator explosion. There is just no way to push 335 to that degree and stay alive and out of jail, unless it is full-time race car.

That mazda survived for over 10 years with 15,000km oil changes on mineral oil, and was running solid when I sold it.

They do use different oil in Europe for basic cars, i believe, but this does not apply to 335, as the BMW long life oil standard is the same globally.

Of course, racing is a different thing - I would change oil after every major race (not including drag races, as they are not that stressful)

Well, for what it's worth...
True. We're using synthetic which is 10x better than old dino oil which is why people had to change every 3k miles. Another thing people forget is that Gov'ts (Domestic/Foreign) are requiring auto manufacturers to keep oil use down, which means extending service intervals. IMO..I wouldn't be surprised if ALL cars made in 2010 had lifetime ATF, and 15k mile oil change intervals.
      04-25-2008, 04:42 PM   #46
dhan
Lieutenant

Drives: '11 TiAg E92 335i

synthetic oil has much less friction than conventional which actually increases the break-in period when some abrasiveness is required. changing after 1200k even might be too soon.
dhan is offline   United_States
      04-25-2008, 04:51 PM   #47
ScBlacksunshine
YUGO is my dream car

Drives: Bayerische Motoren Werke

Send a message via AIM to ScBlacksunshine
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbodan View Post
Wrong. The service indicator does not know if you add oil. It determines the condition of the oil by the amount of fuel burned, engine temperature, etc. Its service reminder is based on the condition of the oil if it were the exact same seven quarts from the last service. Top up oil adds an margin of safety.

How many BMW's have you heard of that wipe cams or spin rod bearings? None? So what makes you so sure that the service intervals they run are somehow bad? Can you tell me that you have some good reason why the intervals are harmful other than because they just seem to be to you? I see e46's and e39's approaching 200k miles, some with even more. Still running great.

The N54 has water cooled turbos. Traditional oil cooled turbos can be hard on oil, but the bearing housings in the 335 run well below the point where synthetic oil will begin to coke.

So dont worry about it. And chill out.

+1

btw, the general consenus is that BMW is being cheap and hence the "long" interval oil change cycle, if that's the case, wouldn't they also cheap out on the M cars and do away with the mandatory 1200 miles free break-in fluid change? and push them back to 15k-18K instead
      04-26-2008, 12:36 AM   #48
Cosmo335i
Private First Class

Drives: E46 zhp & E38

Send a message via MSN to Cosmo335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haretakis View Post
5500 miles on the clock and my system indicates that I have no oil left. Literally below the min line out of no where. I am going to take it and demand a change today. Wish me luck. I am starting to think I got jipped and wasn't topped off on oil.

This has happened to me. they added more oil and reset the indicater. I trust bmw
      04-26-2008, 12:37 AM   #49
Cosmo335i
Private First Class

Drives: E46 zhp & E38

Send a message via MSN to Cosmo335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScBlacksunshine View Post
+1

btw, the general consenus is that BMW is being cheap and hence the "long" interval oil change cycle, if that's the case, wouldn't they also cheap out on the M cars and do away with the mandatory 1200 miles free break-in fluid change? and push them back to 15k-18K instead
Not on the m5 and m6 and b7 they change the oil at 1200 for free.Not sure with the e93
      04-26-2008, 03:20 AM   #50
BlackJetE90
Colonel

Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvrevo View Post
The 4 yr 50k mile free service thiing is a joke
But they get away with it pretty well.

What do we really get 2 free oil changes?

What other main service is included in the 50k servie plann?
The major thing would be full brake job, rotors and pads.

I definitely don't want to pay the inflated charge for a BMW brake job.
      04-26-2008, 03:45 AM   #51
gum5h03
Galactic Emperor

Drives: Fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJetE90 View Post
The major thing would be full brake job, rotors and pads.

I definitely don't want to pay the inflated charge for a BMW brake job.
dont forget clutches too
      04-26-2008, 05:15 AM   #52
Long Drive
Enlisted Member

Drives: 2007 Monaco Blue 335i Coupe

My dealer (Motor Werks of Barrington) told me I'm allowed an annual oil change regardless of mileage. They put fresh oil in at 5000 when the oil cooler was installed, and then at 11,000 on my anniversary date. Suitable intervals for synthetic oil. It wil be interesting to see if they're quite as accommodating when I want brakes done before the warranty expires!
      09-22-2008, 08:20 AM   #53
jadeddjay
Major

Drives: e92 335i

Garage List
2007 e92 335i  [0.00]
my dealer here in jackson, herringear bmw, just told me that the service interval was 2 years, not one

i am so sick of getting bullshitted by them. i thought about writing down the SIBs but didnt think they would go that low as to deny me an oilchange.

13.5kmi, 1.1years

sux

are there any newer bullitins out that will help me? i plan on printing this one out for them..
http://www.bmwtis.com/tsb/bulletins/...p/B000107g.htm
jadeddjay is offline   United_States
      09-22-2008, 12:35 PM   #54
Potty_Pants
Colonel

Drives: 2012 Genesis Sedan Rspec

Guys,

here's some facts... if the dealer doesnt state this they are WRONG.

1 year low mileage regarless of mileage or indicators (as dictated in the owners manual)

these cars have a 15k oil change setting from the factory if it exceeds it it's a programming error , this will/can be fixed with the new progman.

brake oil changes is 2 years regardless of mileage.

Granted a mazda 4 banger may run at 4500 on the highway all day long vs our 335i's running at 2000 ... please note the 4 banger will be running dino oil and temps around 180ish where ours is synthetic and 240 = kinda tough to compare like apples and oranges.

It's apparent the dealers need to be educated. I'd advise anyone who is getting this bull from the dealer to submit a concern with BMWNA... hopefully they will correct the uneducated SA's.

ppp
Olds Starfire > Chevy Malibu > Isuzu I-mark RS & Honda Magna 500 > Grand Am GT & YSR50 > Nissan Maxima & Ninja 750 > X-Wife > Hyundai Excel > Honda Prelude > Honda Accord > Honda Prelude & Ninja 250> Infiniti G35 > E90 335i > Hyundai Genesis Rspec, Hyunadai Sonata > Kia Sorento > Honda CRV-EX
Potty_Pants is offline   United_States
      10-19-2008, 09:51 AM   #55
Spydeputy
Brigadier General

Drives: 2012,E92,335is/2008,E90,335xi

Garage List
2008 335xi  [0.00]
2012 335is  [1.00]
Send a message via Skype™ to Spydeputy
1 year oil change

i'm w/ PPP, my sevrice book say's 15K or 1 year the oil gets changed. and yes the brake fluid also at 2 years.
just show them their own service book.

in retrospect, i do have a 2008 33xi, and it's in book that way. i have 6,700 miles but when my year aniversey came around they said bring it in for it's oil and filter change. did the wiper blades w/out a request.

good luck guys
Spydeputy is offline   Germany