E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > ODB reader install in E90/92

04-25-2008, 04:48 PM   #1
F104
Captain
Belgium
Rep
Drives: E92 320D M-sport

ODB reader install in E90/92

Hi folks - my very first posting..hope this works.

I wanted at least coolant temperature in my E92 (diesel), turbo boost, and battery voltage (as the ECU decides when to charge the battery - this will need analog input though I believe). As I like the uncluttered look of my dashboard, multilple gauges were out of the question. Thus I looked at OBD readers, and chose the Dynoscan as i believed it would (just!) fit in the sun glass holder (ash tray for the smokers amongst you). Not just that, it has analog input options, dynanometer feature, user programmable warning lights etc. I did look at others, but design/dimensions were not interesting to me. The very flat DG 200 looked interesting initially, but as an OBD tool I understand in will not display the gauges etc. The Dynoscan has a gauge functionality as well, and it only takes seconds to get bored of it (sorry Auterra..). Plus the dynoscan does a lot more then for example the Scangauge, and for us bimmer folks at least the buttons light up similar to the car's amber lights. Ok the screen is not amber but one can't have it all..

Thus I installed in the the sun glass holder. There is another thread on how to remove the panel, after that 4 screws to take the sun glass holder off, and then you need to take out the dremel.

I did cut out the back of the tray (the vertical panel in front of the lid when opened, and the bottom (while leaving the back 1/2 inch in place for some structural rigidity of it all. The try an error bit will be the front side (towards the gear selector). Mine is cut out such that it leaves 20 mm depth. This allows me to just slide the unit (upright), rotate it, and with a little bending of the front wall to lock in position. This is with wedges (from laminated flooring, high side is 6mm / 1/4") put on with double sided tape on the bottom of the dynoscan. The back of the unit (or wedges) sits against the horizonal bit left in the sun glass holder, the bottom sits with again double sided tape on the plastic structural bit underneath the holder. For me this works well. I'm 8.5 tall, seat positioned well back (E92) and all the way down (electric seat adjustment, doesn't go down as far as the manual ones), and i can read the screen well. The unit fits also in without the wedges (then almost dead horizontal) and is the borderline visible. Contrast/Brightness settings do a lot, but i like the slight angle with the wedges as seen in the pictures.
One might be tempted to leave the back wall of the ash tray in, I found the 1/4" or so you gain by taking it out gives great access to the lower keys - and the "menu" key on the low RH side is one of the most used and needs to be easily accessible.

I've also looked at removing the bottom half of the dynoscan, but it won't help. A) you void the warranty, B) it's clear the bottom half provides structural support to the connectors, and C) it really leaves an odd shape to try and fit in.

And yes.. mine is a manual, so access to the connections of the dynoscan is dead easy by taking the gear lever gator off. The unit fits within a mm or so(whatever that is in inches), no way you can slide it in with attached OBD cable. However by removing the gator, and detaching the cables, I can easily remove the unit for removing the memory card, (another neat feature) and/or programming it on the PC. I can't comment on auto transmissions, but guess it should not be more difficult

An at last Auterra support is just great.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-12-2008, 10:07 PM   #2
efunroom
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 325

Nice solution!

Is there a way to install it without broking the tray?
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2008, 02:23 PM   #3
F104
Captain
Belgium
Rep

Nope, look at their website unit is much too large in depth. I have suggested already they do a seperate display/connection module; as at least half of the (lower) depth of the unit is taken up by just the connections ( eg the lower space is 90% empty). It's designed for a windshield mounting, if you (and I) have different ideas on where to mount it, and how to connect it, then tell them at the below address. I'm sure that if they would seperate the connections / SD card module from the display, and not increase display dimensions, it could fit w/o cutting up the E90/92 ashtray

support@auterraweb.com

These guys are very responsive , I've had multiple issues on my BMW E92 (not dashyno caused, but car ECU because of a connected OBD reader). We discussed options, they provided quite a few Beta softwares, and now everything works with selectable options in their software. In terms of customer support they rank top to-date. And we're not next door. Auterra is close to San Diego, CA, I'm in Belgium..
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2008, 09:08 PM   #4
efunroom
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 325

Agree! It would be great if they can speperate the chip module(OBD collection/analysis) and the display. BTW, Which software version you used? I have emailed them and they said the latest software (version 3.0.1)can ben download at : http://www.auterraweb.com/downloads.html

I am not sure if this version has included the function which they modified for you.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2008, 10:30 AM   #5
F104
Captain
Belgium
Rep

i'm running the 3.0 now. The shutdown option for the E92 was already implemented earlier (in preferences, select "rpm" under shutdown options). You can download the latest version for free from the website, and if you page down on the download page there is a document that tracks the software changes, with a brief description of what changed. Installing software updates is easy once you have done it once. You'll need a 12V power supply though. I did not buy it from dashyno (wrong plug for europe) but use one from a battery charger wich has the same connector / polarity as the dashdyno needs. If it doesn't want to install check the comm port setting, my PC wants comm5 for this all the time
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2008, 01:12 PM   #6
veightkiller
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: e90 335i

hhhmmm i like it i might get one. thanks
Appreciate 0