E90Post

Horizon LED

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > 328i engine conversion

07-21-2008, 03:22 PM   #45
dlpuette
BMW / Harley Guy
United_States
Rep

Drives: Electric Red 06 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by red_wagen View Post
I meant tuning it so that it puts out 255hp like a 330i. The 328i is the same engine so I presume adding the missing components and reprogramming the ECU will do the trick, yes? I don't know how much trouble it would be to do and at a certain point it might not be worth it for 25hp only.
There's been a couple of threads on trying to make a 325 or 328 into a 330. I can save you alot of reading. The cost and hassle associated with all the stuff makes it prohibitive. There's more to it than the throttle body, intake manifold and ECU. But feel free to search and see the tech explanations.

Electric Red / Beige 06 330i Manny Tranny
Sport, Premium, Cold Weather, Muffler Delete, Hardwire Valentine One, Colgan Sport Bra w/logo cutout
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2008, 04:39 PM   #46
nicknaz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2012 Z4 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrToad View Post
The new STi is absolutely terrible. I test drove one and was truly disappointed with it. The car felt sluggish and like I was driving a boat..
Was the "S Drive" controller set to economy (less power, better fuel economy mode) ?

I guess it depends on user preference. I came from the Subaru world and I miss the 8" suspension travel on the WRX/STi models. There is definitely body roll in hard cornering but the wheel control and chassis stability is awesome. Hit a mid corner bump with the suspension loaded up and you'll know what I'm talking about.

Also, you have to get the rotation done before turn in and apply the throttle aggressively well before the apex. If you like to use a trailing brake and expect to increase yaw under throttle I can see why you would dislike the STi (especially if you drove on a smooth road where the wheel control characteristics are not evident)
Appreciate 0