E90Post

European Auto Source

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Best Quad Tips!

09-03-2008, 01:05 PM   #89
Rugs
Lieutenant

Drives: E93 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisalano22 View Post
Awesome thread thanks guys! This should be a sticky!
Thanks Guys...here's my new look w/out the C.F. Diffuser.
After a little fender bender and a new rear bumper cover I decided to go with the clean (no diffuser) look for awhile...

Just a Heads Up! These tips from Assured Automotive DO HAVE A FLAW!
Two of us have installed these Quads (using different shops) and both of us have a loud screech/whistle sound from the exhaust under full throttle. It almost sounds like you're burning rubber, but your not!

We've talked to the owner at Assured Automotive and he says he's had no other complaints except from me and the other guy who installed them on a BMW 335i. He says it could be that the Turbos create more exhaust pressure.

Here's what I ended up doing. Through my experience years ago with exhaust on racing bikes & Karts, I isolated the whistle by taping off each of the Four Tips, one-at-a-time with blue painters tape covered with duct-tape for strength and went out and test drove it each time until I found it was the passenger side inside Quad Tip that was making the noise.
I fabricated a free flowing baffle for the inside passenger exhaust tip and installed it right after the split so it's far enough up so you don't see it from the outside. I temporarily secured it with a couple dabs of heat proof epoxy putty to hold it in place while I tested it. The thought was not to restrict the exhaust flow but disrupt it enough to get rid of the whistle. Luckily it eliminated the whistle, you sometimes hear a slight whoosh, but mostly a nice exhaust note. Finally I went to the muffler shop and had them put a couple of tack welds to secure the baffle in place. I know it's a lot of work, but I do like the looks of these tips and they sound great with the catless D.P.'s, & stock exhaust with the secondary cats.

-Rick
SMART-Top /One-Off Opaque Vinyl EYELIDS / 30% TINT / A.C.SCHNITZER Pedals / "M" Tri-Color Wheel w/Paddles / EIBACH Pro-Kit / AKEBONA F. & EBC RED-STUFF R.Dustless Pads / Drilled & Slotted ROTORS / MIRO M6 Reps / MICHELIN PS2's / U.R.Coated DP's / CYBA-QUAD Exhaust Tips / BMS-TUNED...

Last edited by Rugs; 09-03-2008 at 06:11 PM.
      09-03-2008, 07:22 PM   #90
cyphr
Major

Drives: 08 335xi coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugs View Post
After a little fender bender and a new rear bumper cover I decided to go with the clean (no diffuser) look for awhile...

Two of us have installed these Quads (using different shops) and both of us have a loud screech/whistle sound from the exhaust under full throttle. It almost sounds like you're burning rubber, but your not!

We've talked to the owner at Assured Automotive and he says he's had no other complaints except from me and the other guy who installed them on a BMW 335i. He says it could be that the Turbos create more exhaust pressure.

Here's what I ended up doing. Through my experience years ago with exhaust on racing bikes & Karts, I isolated the whistle by taping off each of the Four Tips, one-at-a-time with blue painters tape covered with duct-tape for strength and went out and test drove it each time until I found it was the passenger side inside Quad Tip that was making the noise.
I fabricated a free flowing baffle for the inside passenger exhaust tip and installed it right after the split so it's far enough up so you don't see it from the outside. I temporarily secured it with a couple dabs of heat proof epoxy putty to hold it in place while I tested it. The thought was not to restrict the exhaust flow but disrupt it enough to get rid of the whistle. Luckily it eliminated the whistle, you sometimes hear a slight whoosh, but mostly a nice exhaust note. Finally I went to the muffler shop and had them put a couple of tack welds to secure the baffle in place. I know it's a lot of work, but I do like the looks of these tips and they sound great with the catless D.P.'s, & stock exhaust with the secondary cats.

-Rick
Hey Rugs, sorry I never got back to you about the install. I actually have had zero problems with the tips under full throttle. As to why, I have no idea.
      09-03-2008, 07:34 PM   #91
AKbmw
Colonel

Drives: M-Sport LCI

Quote:

-Rick

got pretty much the same extact quad tips on my car (look at my threads and youll see) but i know exactyly what sound you are talking about its not nessecarily a bad sound and dont always realize or notice the sound but i know what your talking about
      09-03-2008, 09:44 PM   #92
ontopofm
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: stock

just ordered the tips, how do you make the bumper looks so clean? did you have a shop do it for you?
      09-03-2008, 09:48 PM   #93
EastCoast335i
Colonel

Drives: 335i E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontopofm View Post
just ordered the tips, how do you make the bumper looks so clean? did you have a shop do it for you?
+99999

I was planning on using a Dremel but i doubt i could get it so clean...
How did you do it????
EastCoast335i is offline   United_States
      09-04-2008, 08:31 AM   #94
Rugs
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyphr View Post
Hey Rugs, sorry I never got back to you about the install. I actually have had zero problems with the tips under full throttle. As to why, I have no idea.
Hey cyphr, that's Great! I wonder what the difference is? Did your installer use the same method of cutting the pipes just aft of the mufflers to center the quads & did you retain the exhaust valve on the drivers side? Please post info & pics, maybe it's something with my install causing the noise. Thanks

Quote:
I did it with a Dremel tool with the bumper cover off of the car(before paint). I helped a friend cut his bumper which was on his 335. It's more difficult & time consuming cutting because it's tight around the exhaust tip but it can be done. I just did a lot of measuring and outlined the cutout area with pinstriping & blue painters tape for a guide. I may have some pics, I'll post em if I do.
SMART-Top /One-Off Opaque Vinyl EYELIDS / 30% TINT / A.C.SCHNITZER Pedals / "M" Tri-Color Wheel w/Paddles / EIBACH Pro-Kit / AKEBONA F. & EBC RED-STUFF R.Dustless Pads / Drilled & Slotted ROTORS / MIRO M6 Reps / MICHELIN PS2's / U.R.Coated DP's / CYBA-QUAD Exhaust Tips / BMS-TUNED...

Last edited by Rugs; 09-04-2008 at 08:54 AM.
      09-04-2008, 10:50 AM   #95
EastCoast335i
Colonel

Drives: 335i E92

Quote:
I did it with a Dremel tool with the bumper cover off of the car(before paint). I helped a friend cut his bumper which was on his 335. It's more difficult & time consuming cutting because it's tight around the exhaust tip but it can be done. I just did a lot of measuring and outlined the cutout area with pinstriping & blue painters tape for a guide. I may have some pics, I'll post em if I do.
so after you made the cuts you had the whole bumper painted, thats probably why it looks so clean...

im thinking about using a dremel measuring everything out masking it with painters tape and patiently filing it down...
worse comes to worse ill throw on a diffuser if it get f'd up...
EastCoast335i is offline   United_States
      09-04-2008, 10:54 AM   #96
Raz335
Major

Drives: BMW M3 Convertible

Your quads came out sick. I really want to do this, but afraid to cut up my bumper. If I can find another bumper, my problems would be solved. Anyone want to sell me an OEM rear bumper with PDC?

Jerez Black/Fox E93 M3 - Prem 2/Cold/Conv/DCT/EDC/19's/Ext Lthr/Crbn Trim/Enhanced Sound/Sat
Mods- 20" BBS LM's DBK/Challenge Catback/Eibachs/Trim wrapped black/Lux Angel eyes/35% Tint
      09-04-2008, 11:34 AM   #97
cyphr
Major

Drives: 08 335xi coupe

Quote:
Hey cyphr, that's Great! I wonder what the difference is? Did your installer use the same method of cutting the pipes just aft of the mufflers to center the quads & did you retain the exhaust valve on the drivers side? Please post info & pics, maybe it's something with my install causing the noise. Thanks
The same cuts were made aft of the mufflers. The only difference between your install and mine was that my shop did not alter the actual tips (read: shorten) as you have. I ran this setup for a few weeks and under a number of full throttle runs, there was no noise. I had some issues with the tips aligning flush since we didn't shorten the tips themselves. In the end we ended up scrapping the diverter valve to make clearance. There was also no whistling sound after this change.
      09-04-2008, 10:40 PM   #98
Rugs
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyphr View Post
The same cuts were made aft of the mufflers. The only difference between your install and mine was that my shop did not alter the actual tips (read: shorten) as you have. I ran this setup for a few weeks and under a number of full throttle runs, there was no noise. I had some issues with the tips aligning flush since we didn't shorten the tips themselves. In the end we ended up scrapping the diverter valve to make clearance. There was also no whistling sound after this change.
Can you post some pics from under the car to show the diverter valve delete & a rear shot to show the length, Thanks man.

one more pic at our last car meet, before wheel spacers...

09-04-2008, 10:46 PM   #99
exidisjon
PuffPuffPass

Drives: E92 335xi AW/Saddle

Wow i want to do this for a while but dont know any body shops who is trustworthy enough to do this.

Non carbon looks alot better to me.. Shit is sexy.

My right foot weighs more than my left for sure.
exidisjon is offline   South Korea
      09-27-2008, 02:29 PM   #100
ontopofm
Lieutenant Colonel

i just finished this mod, the right tips sit lower than the left, stupid me i didnt stand back and look before the welder weld the tips, i'll bring it back to fix it and of course i have pay again, it costs $50 to cut the oem and weld on the quad tips, Husky knife is the only tool you will need for this mod, it's very sharp that you can cut the bumper without much effort, DO NOT use the dremel to cut the bumper as it will mess up the paint, i almost messed up my bumper using the dremel, i'll trim the cut some more but for now pretty lazy to do it, took about 20 mins on each side, here are the pics, enjoy, thanks Rugs
Attached Images

09-30-2008, 03:32 PM   #101
ontopofm
Lieutenant Colonel

the exhaust now sounds louder, do i need to plug the vacumm hose since the diverter valve is deleted? thanks
      09-30-2008, 08:08 PM   #102
cn555ic
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

Drives: Bimmerscoding.com

Send a message via Yahoo to cn555ic
Quote:
the exhaust now sounds louder, do i need to plug the vacumm hose since the diverter valve is deleted? thanks
Yes you would need to plug that vacuum line, it can cause a code
cn555ic is offline   United_States
      09-30-2008, 09:26 PM   #103
ontopofm
Lieutenant Colonel

has anyone thrown a code w/ it unplugged? i just plugged mine so now i have golf-tee mod, i did the golf-tee before but returned to stock form due to no difference in sound when driving
      10-20-2008, 08:03 PM   #104
Hallandale E92
Lieutenant

Drives: 2007 335i Titanium Silver

does anybody know where i could find some nice quad tips like these but in black....? is it possible to powder coat chrome?
RIP: Totaled 2007 335i Titanium Silver/ Coral Red : VIP Tuning Custom tune, VIP Tuning Intake, VIP Tuning charge pipes, VIP Tuning BOV, UR cat-less down pipes, OEM aero lip, OEM aero rear valence, 19" Iforged Daytonas
Hallandale E92 is offline   United_States
      10-30-2008, 06:56 PM   #105
pdjafari
Colonel

Drives: Axe Murderer with headlights

Hey rugs

Quick questions, did you have to buy another bumper since you originally cut it for the diffuser, but later decided to go with the non diffuser? I am worried I may need a bumper later like if i sell, but not sure exactly if I should buy a bumper now.
      11-21-2008, 02:05 PM   #106
FoShizzle
aka Mike

Drives: AW E92 335is

Ive always liked these tips, but I cant find anybody who makes a universal fitment.

FoShizzle is offline   No_Country
      03-17-2011, 09:17 AM   #107
AMASIAN
Banned

Drives: 335i Vert

At the exhaust shop now. He doesn't see how you filled in the weld at the top without dropping the exhaust and without moving the exhaust hangers. He's cutting it off at the muffler and fabricating pipes to attach quads. Says the diameter is different on them.

So that's my morning.
      03-17-2011, 10:37 AM   #108
thinbev
proud BMW 335 owner

Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMASIAN View Post
At the exhaust shop now. He doesn't see how you filled in the weld at the top without dropping the exhaust and without moving the exhaust hangers. He's cutting it off at the muffler and fabricating pipes to attach quads. Says the diameter is different on them.

So that's my morning.
oh man, shoulda bought dimisatips.com i never had an issue
Short Shift Kit B &K
thinbev is offline   United_States
      03-17-2011, 12:16 PM   #109
AMASIAN
Banned

Drives: 335i Vert

well, the butterfly valve couldn't be save but the tips are on. The exhaust hangers had to be slightly repositioned but aside, was a great job and the tips look great!
      03-17-2011, 01:06 PM   #110
hipnotic
Major General

Drives: e92 335i

Garage List
2008 335i coupe  [3.50]
cyba tips never had an issue. But I was planning to do this route a while back to fit quad tips but instead i got mtech rear and put quad tips. I am very happy