E90Post
 


TireRack
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Range Rover Sport TDV8



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-06-2008, 04:44 PM   #1
Terza
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: E92 335d
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Dubrovnik/Zagreb, Croatia

Posts: 205
iTrader: (0)

Range Rover Sport TDV8

Hey guys and girls...

I've been offered a great deal for a 2 months old (9000 km - 5500 miles) Range Rover Sport TDV8 for my dad, and I'm gonna test drive it this Thursday, but I don't know much about Range Rovers, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

We've got a X6 on order (July delivery), but if we take this RRS, we're gonna cancel to X6.

Is their anything I should look out for? Judging by the pictures on the internet, the interior seems seriously outdated, I really don't like it...
Terza is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-07-2008, 04:54 AM   #2
chrisbin
Colonel
 
chrisbin's Avatar
 
Drives: M-Benz C250CDi Est
Join Date: May 2005
Location: S.Wales, UK

Posts: 2,328
iTrader: (1)

Its small inside.....
__________________
Current - M-Benz C250Cdi Sport Plus Auto Est.

Previous - Alpina D3 BiTurbo E90 LCI Manual, 320d M Sport E92 Auto, 330i M Sport E92 courtesy of BMW UK....320i M Sport E92 Auto, 320d SE E90 Manual.
chrisbin is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-07-2008, 05:34 AM   #3
NFS
Major General
 
NFS's Avatar
 
Drives: 335i m-sport LCI
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: UK

Posts: 9,214
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisbin View Post
Its small inside.....
And big on the outside.

Like the TARDIS in reverse.
__________________
NFS is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      05-07-2008, 06:13 AM   #4
AlanQS
Colonel
 
AlanQS's Avatar
 
Drives: 320d SE Coupe
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Glasgow

Posts: 2,514
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
The current Range Rovers have long been praised for having one of the best interiors in the business. I think you'll have to sit in it to find out.
I've heard lots of criticisms of RR but having a poor interior isn't one of them.
__________________
AlanQS is offline   Scotland
0
Reply With Quote
      05-07-2008, 06:15 AM   #5
chrisbin
Colonel
 
chrisbin's Avatar
 
Drives: M-Benz C250CDi Est
Join Date: May 2005
Location: S.Wales, UK

Posts: 2,328
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanQS View Post
The current Range Rovers have long been praised for having one of the best interiors in the business. I think you'll have to sit in it to find out.
I've heard lots of criticisms of RR but having a poor interior isn't one of them.

............didnt say it wasn't nice........just small.....
__________________
Current - M-Benz C250Cdi Sport Plus Auto Est.

Previous - Alpina D3 BiTurbo E90 LCI Manual, 320d M Sport E92 Auto, 330i M Sport E92 courtesy of BMW UK....320i M Sport E92 Auto, 320d SE E90 Manual.
chrisbin is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-07-2008, 06:21 AM   #6
Terza
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: E92 335d
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Dubrovnik/Zagreb, Croatia

Posts: 205
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanQS View Post
The current Range Rovers have long been praised for having one of the best interiors in the business. I think you'll have to sit in it to find out.
I've heard lots of criticisms of RR but having a poor interior isn't one of them.
I've been in a nice dark blue RR Sport with Ivory leather, and I thought the interior was outdated. I guess I'm just used to BMW's simplified approach to the console and other interior parts.

Gonna go for a test drive tomorrow, and see how it's like.
Terza is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-07-2008, 08:37 AM   #7
steve-p
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2012 ActiveHybrid 5
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Newbury, UK

Posts: 241
iTrader: (0)

Very nice car, but relatively poor fuel consumption at 25 combined and well into the naughty VED band so I don't expect residuals will be a strong point. Not my cup of tea, but more so than the X6 which looks like the answer to a question no-one asked.
steve-p is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      05-07-2008, 11:26 AM   #8
Terza
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: E92 335d
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Dubrovnik/Zagreb, Croatia

Posts: 205
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve-p View Post
Very nice car, but relatively poor fuel consumption at 25 combined and well into the naughty VED band so I don't expect residuals will be a strong point. Not my cup of tea, but more so than the X6 which looks like the answer to a question no-one asked.
Note: I'm located in Croatia, we don't have VED bands, nor any form of taxation based on consumption/CO2 emissions/whatever.

But we do have very high car taxes to compensate. The RRS TDV8 HSE costs 98k euro.
Terza is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-07-2008, 11:48 AM   #9
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
 
dxb335d's Avatar
 
Drives: E46 M3 CS
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: ''Fandango Towers''

Posts: 29,262
iTrader: (3)

Garage List
Apparently very temperamental and unreliable. Much better looking than the X6.


Cosider a vogue, much larger and also has more presence than the sport!
__________________
M3 gone .... But I now have a M3 CS
dxb335d is offline   England
0
Reply With Quote
      05-09-2008, 01:21 AM   #10
peterg1965
Brigadier General
 
peterg1965's Avatar
 
Drives: E70 X5 xdrive35d M Sport
Join Date: May 2007
Location: The place of dark satanic mills, UK

Posts: 4,137
iTrader: (0)

In my humble opinion RRS' are far too common on our roads. They appear in my 'chav' car list, generally owned by people who I would never wish to emulate in car buying terms, or in any other way for that matter.

Now an X5 or a GL, that's a different matter ........
peterg1965 is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      05-09-2008, 02:53 AM   #11
Evil Diesel
Captain
 
Evil Diesel's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 335d M Sport
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: London

Posts: 803
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterg1965 View Post
In my humble opinion RRS' are far too common on our roads. They appear in my 'chav' car list, generally owned by people who I would never wish to emulate in car buying terms, or in any other way for that matter.
+1

"Now an X5 or a GL, that's a different matter ........ "

-1
Evil Diesel is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      05-09-2008, 04:52 AM   #12
steve-p
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2012 ActiveHybrid 5
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Newbury, UK

Posts: 241
iTrader: (0)

I never really saw the point of the X5. If you need space then an estate car or MPV works better. If you need performance any number of regular cars at half the price work better. If you need a 4x4 or tow vehicle then a Discovery or Land Cruiser are far more capable, and arguably both have a better image. Overall it's compromised in every department just for the sake of it. Not quite as bad as the Cayenne though which truly is vulgarity personified. I'm all for people buying and driving whatever car they want, so I don't need them to justify it in any way though. If they like it, that's all that matters.
steve-p is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      05-09-2008, 05:44 AM   #13
Terza
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: E92 335d
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Dubrovnik/Zagreb, Croatia

Posts: 205
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterg1965 View Post
In my humble opinion RRS' are far too common on our roads. They appear in my 'chav' car list, generally owned by people who I would never wish to emulate in car buying terms, or in any other way for that matter.

Now an X5 or a GL, that's a different matter ........
We've bought the car, and I really like it. The RRS is faaaaar less common than X5's/ML's/Q7's in Croatia.

Anyway, you don't get the same feeling of being connected with the road like you get in a X5, so it's less of a drivers car, but it's still a good on-road car.

To conclude: I like my 335d better, but everyone, and I mean everyone who knows me said: 'Keep the RRS for yourself, give the 3er to your dad.'
IMO, the RRS just has a presence, in a kind of classy way, not the aggresive presence of the X5.
Terza is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-09-2008, 08:52 AM   #14
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
 
dxb335d's Avatar
 
Drives: E46 M3 CS
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: ''Fandango Towers''

Posts: 29,262
iTrader: (3)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terza View Post
We've bought the car, and I really like it. The RRS is faaaaar less common than X5's/ML's/Q7's in Croatia.

Anyway, you don't get the same feeling of being connected with the road like you get in a X5, so it's less of a drivers car, but it's still a good on-road car.

To conclude: I like my 335d better, but everyone, and I mean everyone who knows me said: 'Keep the RRS for yourself, give the 3er to your dad.'
IMO, the RRS just has a presence, in a kind of classy way, not the aggresive presence of the X5.
Yes your right the RR has lots of presence. It aint a 335d though and your friends are obviously old or loopy or never driven a good handling fast car before!
__________________
M3 gone .... But I now have a M3 CS
dxb335d is offline   England
0
Reply With Quote
      05-09-2008, 10:05 AM   #15
Terza
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: E92 335d
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Dubrovnik/Zagreb, Croatia

Posts: 205
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxb335d View Post
Yes your right the RR has lots of presence. It aint a 335d though and your friends are obviously old or loopy or never driven a good handling fast car before!
I think its best for me to apologize for my friends’ stupid behavior. They have truly offended the all-mighty 335d.


Terza is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-09-2008, 10:34 AM   #16
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
 
dxb335d's Avatar
 
Drives: E46 M3 CS
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: ''Fandango Towers''

Posts: 29,262
iTrader: (3)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terza View Post
I think its best for me to apologize for my friends’ stupid behavior. They have truly offended the all-mighty 335d.


No but anyone who wants a sporting car does not buy a range do they.. its a big f**k off old bus at the end of the day. Dotn have any more seats than your average coupe/saloon and dont go roudn corners very well and not that fast accelerating.

I WANT ONE ill have you know, but as well as a few other cars. I would not swap a coupe for one, would you swap yours then?
__________________
M3 gone .... But I now have a M3 CS
dxb335d is offline   England
0
Reply With Quote
      05-09-2008, 10:36 AM   #17
DervFan
Captain
 
DervFan's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW (E91) 325d M Sport Touring
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: East of England, UK

Posts: 730
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
RR Sport.....pah, I drove past this monster this morning !

Now that's a RR
Attached Images
 
__________________
E91 325d /// M Sport Touring | Titanium Silver | Black Dakota Leather | Brushed Aluminium Trim | 18" 193M Wheels
6-Speed Manual | Cruise Control | Bluetooth | Heated Seats | Professional Radio with MP3 | Rear PDC | Sun Protection Glass
DervFan is offline   England
0
Reply With Quote
      05-09-2008, 10:39 AM   #18
PhilR
Second Lieutenant
 
PhilR's Avatar
 
Drives: E93 330d M Sport Auto
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Teesside / Surrey

Posts: 283
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
I have never seen the attraction of a RRS.

I too agree it's top of the Chav list for Vans......I mean "cars"

Maybe we should start a top 5 chav car list..........

Seriously a RRS looks like a boxy van, it's slow and corners like jelly.......If being bought primarily for off road use then I'm sure it has hidden talents.

I dont' even look at an X5 and a RRS in the same light.

IMO the X5 is a lovely looking 4x4 with excellent ON ROAD manners. Ideal for trips to the local Retail Park, days out and crusing down the motorway and has a good turn of speed. Same can be said for the ML although not as sharp to drive as an X5.

I have always maintained I will never get a 4x4 unless I have a real need for an off road vehicle. It's pointless........

PhilR
PhilR is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      05-09-2008, 10:41 AM   #19
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
 
dxb335d's Avatar
 
Drives: E46 M3 CS
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: ''Fandango Towers''

Posts: 29,262
iTrader: (3)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilR View Post
I have never seen the attraction of a RRS.

I too agree it's top of the Chav list for Vans......I mean "cars"

Maybe we should start a top 5 chav car list..........

Seriously a RRS looks like a boxy van, it's slow and corners like jelly.......If being bought primarily for off road use then I'm sure it has hidden talents.

I dont' even look at an X5 and a RRS in the same light.

IMO the X5 is a lovely looking 4x4 with excellent ON ROAD manners. Ideal for trips to the local Retail Park, days out and crusing down the motorway and has a good turn of speed. Same can be said for the ML although not as sharp to drive as an X5.

I have always maintained I will never get a 4x4 unless I have a real need for an off road vehicle. It's pointless........

PhilR

Im with you on all that!!!
__________________
M3 gone .... But I now have a M3 CS
dxb335d is offline   England
0
Reply With Quote
      05-09-2008, 02:26 PM   #20
Terza
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: E92 335d
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Dubrovnik/Zagreb, Croatia

Posts: 205
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxb335d View Post
No but anyone who wants a sporting car does not buy a range do they.. its a big f**k off old bus at the end of the day. Dotn have any more seats than your average coupe/saloon and dont go roudn corners very well and not that fast accelerating.

I WANT ONE ill have you know, but as well as a few other cars. I would not swap a coupe for one, would you swap yours then?
Oh, FFS, you really need to start reading the topics you post in.

Firstly, please point out where exactly have I questioned the 335d's sporting abilities, or even compared them to the RRS?
Secondly, where did I say the RRS was a sports car?

I'm not a SUV lover myself, I would have been much happier with a S500, A8/S8 or something among those lines, but he wants to drive a SUV because he's recently had a complicated knee surgery and it's much easier for him to get in and out of such cars.
And true, the point of a car weighing 2.7 tones (kerb weight!) and looking like a box isn't quite clear, but I've got to say that there is a bit of appeal when you are behind the steering wheel of such a thing.
Terza is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-09-2008, 02:37 PM   #21
squeezebm
Colonel
 
Drives: Audi
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Notts

Posts: 2,652
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terza View Post
Oh, FFS, you really need to start reading the topics you post in.

Firstly, please point out where exactly have I questioned the 335d's sporting abilities, or even compared them to the RRS?
Secondly, where did I say the RRS was a sports car?

I'm not a SUV lover myself, I would have been much happier with a S500, A8/S8 or something among those lines, but he wants to drive a SUV because he's recently had a complicated knee surgery and it's much easier for him to get in and out of such cars.
And true, the point of a car weighing 2.7 tones (kerb weight!) and looking like a box isn't quite clear, but I've got to say that there is a bit of appeal when you are behind the steering wheel of such a thing.

Terza,dont get drawn in Pal i had a RRS 2.7tdi thingy for a short while and loved the RR thing,tell him to enjoy it
squeezebm is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-09-2008, 02:45 PM   #22
Porscha!
Should be on www.retrorides.com
 
Drives: Porsche 944
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Derbyshire

Posts: 3,573
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Ooooooo Top 5 Chavs Cars List!

1. E36 318i badged up as an M3
2. X5
3. Peugeot 206 with massive spoiler and big speakers
4. Range Rover Sport
5. Vauxhall Corsa 1.0ltr with a very loud exhaust (they don't realise that thing as well as the bodykit that weighs a ton is zapping the little power the car had in the first place!)
__________________
"FIRE UP THA PORRSCHAAH" - The 80's are back!

Front Engined Porsche
Porscha! is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:31 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST