E90Post
 


ECS BMW
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Best XM radio for clean install? Already have sat prep.



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      07-30-2014, 01:17 PM   #1
bender rodriguez
Major
 
Drives: Audi
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: CA

Posts: 1,403
iTrader: (0)

Best XM radio for clean install? Already have sat prep.

I have sat prep but do not want to pay 150.00+ for the module. Especially when XM 2.0 is around the corner which the bmw module will not support.

What is the cleanest install for aftermarket? I was thinking of putting the tuner in the trunk where the antenna cable runs in. The the head unit in the armrest.
bender rodriguez is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-30-2014, 02:19 PM   #2
Wongway
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 328i xdrive
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

Posts: 284
iTrader: (0)

Might not be worth it?

Since I noticed you posted in the Dynavin thread, maybe consider saving up for one of those? And maybe go with something like streaming Spotify or Pandora from your smartphone into a Bluetooth unit that plugs into the Aux port?

I like the choices with Satellite (I have that in my car), but I don't like the sound quality so much. The Bluetooth enables a bit better quality, but the aux port kinda ruins it a bit. However, it still sounds better than what I get out of Satellite, so take that as you will.
Wongway is online now  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-30-2014, 02:52 PM   #3
bender rodriguez
Major
 
Drives: Audi
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: CA

Posts: 1,403
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wongway View Post
Might not be worth it?

Since I noticed you posted in the Dynavin thread, maybe consider saving up for one of those? And maybe go with something like streaming Spotify or Pandora from your smartphone into a Bluetooth unit that plugs into the Aux port?

I like the choices with Satellite (I have that in my car), but I don't like the sound quality so much. The Bluetooth enables a bit better quality, but the aux port kinda ruins it a bit. However, it still sounds better than what I get out of Satellite, so take that as you will.
I already have idrive I cant add another headunit. Or if I could it will look kinda stupid.

I only have 1gb data and the places I drive are spoty because my service sucks.
bender rodriguez is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-30-2014, 02:53 PM   #4
bender rodriguez
Major
 
Drives: Audi
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: CA

Posts: 1,403
iTrader: (0)

I have an old sirus tuner here for free already. If I add the turner can I change the display unit at a later date?
bender rodriguez is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-30-2014, 03:06 PM   #5
Wongway
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 328i xdrive
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

Posts: 284
iTrader: (0)

Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't realize you had iDrive.

In that case, I believe that Dynavin may have a custom solution for you in the near future?

You'd have to get with Jeff about that one though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bender rodriguez View Post
I have an old sirus tuner here for free already. If I add the turner can I change the display unit at a later date?
Ask around, I don't recall how easy that one is to integrate with your particular system. It might require some recoding, but I could be wrong about that.
Wongway is online now  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-30-2014, 03:31 PM   #6
bender rodriguez
Major
 
Drives: Audi
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: CA

Posts: 1,403
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wongway View Post
Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't realize you had iDrive.

In that case, I believe that Dynavin may have a custom solution for you in the near future?

You'd have to get with Jeff about that one though.


Ask around, I don't recall how easy that one is to integrate with your particular system. It might require some recoding, but I could be wrong about that.
I am not trying to integrate it into the idrive. I am just trying to drop the display somewhere clean looking
bender rodriguez is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-30-2014, 04:27 PM   #7
Wongway
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 328i xdrive
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

Posts: 284
iTrader: (0)

Oh, you mean those store bought tuners? Maybe try finding something that lets you hide it in the ashtray compartment?

When you said you had Sat prep, I thought you meant you had the BMW Sirius Sat Tuner. In that case, it doesn't even matter if you have Sat prep.
Wongway is online now  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-04-2014, 04:39 PM   #8
bender rodriguez
Major
 
Drives: Audi
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: CA

Posts: 1,403
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wongway View Post
Oh, you mean those store bought tuners? Maybe try finding something that lets you hide it in the ashtray compartment?

When you said you had Sat prep, I thought you meant you had the BMW Sirius Sat Tuner. In that case, it doesn't even matter if you have Sat prep.
SAT prep gives you sat antenna in the shark fin which is nice.
bender rodriguez is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:45 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST