E90Post

Extreme Power House

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > My Airplay Install/Review

06-25-2014, 08:52 PM   #1
Agentphish
Lieutenant

Drives: '08 328i

My Airplay Install/Review

Using posts I found here, I installed the AirEnabler Airplay device into my car. I'd like to thank the OP in the DIY section for the inspiration.

It was pretty easy. The only hard part was getting the router into that small area with the connections I had. I secured it in place with some of that 3M gray all weather mounting tape. The super sticky stuff with the red backing.

I also used a FiiO e10 USB Headphone Amp/DAC unit. I think FiiO has discontinued this model now and that's a super shame because I've been using it at my desk for the last year and it's really a great little piece of kit. (I upgraded to Schiit Audio amp and DAC components at my desk today so I had this FiiO to use)

Having the FiiO in the loop makes this Airplay solution the total package. It makes the HiFi system sound 10x better when being used through the AUX jack. Can't say much for the DAC that came with the AirEnabler kit, it didn't sound very good, nor did the Creative Labs DAC the AirEnabler website suggested. Stay away from that thing. God awful.

Overall I'm really impressed with this. I might order some thinner right angle USB cables from Monoprice to clean it up a bit more...
Here's some pics.

06-25-2014, 10:30 PM   #2
Cacicgt7
Military Enforcer

Drives: 335i E90

So what exactly does this do?
      06-26-2014, 12:01 AM   #3
Agentphish
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cacicgt7 View Post
So what exactly does this do?
It gives your car an apple airplay wifi connection so you can stream your music from your idevice to your car stereo losslessly and with improved audio quality over stock if you get a decent portable amp/DAC as I described.

You should check out the manufacturer website. Google airenabler.
      06-26-2014, 12:34 AM   #4
BMW..
Lieutenant

Drives: E46 M3 /E90

Have you figured out a way to deal with the delay yet? Also why is that amp needed mine is fine without it
      06-26-2014, 09:45 AM   #5
Agentphish
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW.. View Post
Have you figured out a way to deal with the delay yet? Also why is that amp needed mine is fine without it
Na, I just wait the 40 seconds. Lets my car warm up a bit or if I'm leaving home there's a light I will always hit just about the right time for me to switch my airplay input. I was thinking about doing a hardwire to the glovebox and running micro USB cable from there to the device but I decided against it. The 40 seconds doesn't bother me that much.

A higher quality DAC will do a better job of converting the digital signal your music player device sends out into the analog signal needed for speakers, with a more accurate reproduction of the original sound. The amp portion of that allows you to maintain that sound accuracy and increase the volume without distortion.

What I'm using is a decent USB powered DAC/Amp combo unit that was built for headphones and portable speaker systems. There's a big difference in the depth and richness of the music vs the stock USB DAC that comes with the AirEnabler which sounded tinny and flat IMO.
      06-26-2014, 09:54 AM   #6
BMW..
Lieutenant

Drives: E46 M3 /E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agentphish
Quote:
Na, I just wait the 40 seconds. Lets my car warm up a bit or if I'm leaving home there's a light I will always hit just about the right time for me to switch my airplay input. I was thinking about doing a hardwire to the glovebox and running micro USB cable from there to the device but I decided against it. The 40 seconds doesn't bother me that much.

A higher quality DAC will do a better job of converting the digital signal your music player device sends out into the analog signal needed for speakers, with a more accurate reproduction of the original sound. The amp portion of that allows you to maintain that sound accuracy and increase the volume without distortion.

What I'm using is a decent USB powered DAC/Amp combo unit that was built for headphones and portable speaker systems. There's a big difference in the depth and richness of the music vs the stock USB DAC that comes with the AirEnabler which sounded tinny and flat IMO.
Ok thanks. The delay I was referring to was the buffering time where you push play and 3 seconds later it actually starts playing
      06-26-2014, 09:59 AM   #7
Agentphish
Lieutenant

Quote:
Ok thanks. The delay I was referring to was the buffering time where you push play and 3 seconds later it actually starts playing
Ah. I see, It doesn't seem to be quite 3 seconds, but I agree there's a delay. I get some delay when I use Airplay at home on AppleTV too...but not quite as bad.

Being that this guy basically hacked the firmware in this tiny router to make it airplay compatible so I can put it in my car, I don't even care about that hehehe.
      06-26-2014, 10:16 AM   #8
Chriztofor
Colonel

Drives: '06 325i Auto

Why not use airport express?
If no codes are being thrown use Chevron Techron fuel injector cleaner (concentrate). It solves rpm fluctuating upon cold start-up. Also, for most BMW problems start off by scanning your car with the Peake Research Tool. It contains the actual BMW codes. If you want to register a newly installed battery for free (just buy a $10 cable) and google/download BMWLogger
Chriztofor is offline   United_States
      06-26-2014, 10:21 AM   #9
mashimarho
BMW Genius

Drives: e92 LCI 335i xDrive™

Garage List
Nice set up. Can you make it with less clutter in the glove box? Maybe hidden, possibly?

Volk///ER///BMS///KW///VRSF///ARKYM///DD///CYBA///STOPTECH///BMW Performance ///
My Progress: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=770326
mashimarho is offline   United_States
      06-26-2014, 11:20 AM   #10
BenTrovato
Driver

Drives: e92 335i

Nice work! I have a similar setup but I went the route of the Blackberry Stereo Gateway and connect over bluetooth.

My Pics: Summer | 1st updates | Fall
BenTrovato is offline   Canada
      06-26-2014, 12:16 PM   #11
Agentphish
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenTrovato View Post
Nice work! I have a similar setup but I went the route of the Blackberry Stereo Gateway and connect over bluetooth.
Cool. I used a bluetooth dongle like Kinivo BTC450 or xtrememac InCharge AutoBT for the last year, but overall the BT audio quality can't touch the lossless playback of Airplay, which is why I went this route.
      06-26-2014, 12:18 PM   #12
Agentphish
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by mashimarho View Post
Nice set up. Can you make it with less clutter in the glove box? Maybe hidden, possibly?
Yes, definitely. You could get a hardwired microUSB, put/mount everything in or behind the glovebox, then run an audio cable through the center console up into the armrest and plug into the aux jack...
      06-26-2014, 12:21 PM   #13
Agentphish
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriztofor View Post
Why not use airport express?
You can, but...For me it was more expensive than this solution (since I already owned the DAC/amp I used). Bigger in size. Requires changing the power adapter out for a USB power cord which requires soldiering and getting a power step-down converter.

You also need to open the Airport Express which instantly voids its warranty.

Big fan of AirPort stuff though. Use it all over my house exclusively.
      06-26-2014, 01:56 PM   #14
2kaccordocoupe
Colonel

Drives: 2009 335i E92 Coupe

Garage List
2009 e92 335i  [0.00]
Do airplay and BT play well together? Can I play audio over airplay into aux then seamlessly take a phone call over BT paired to the car?
2kaccordocoupe is offline   Canada
      06-26-2014, 03:35 PM   #15
Agentphish
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kaccordocoupe View Post
Do airplay and BT play well together? Can I play audio over airplay into aux then seamlessly take a phone call over BT paired to the car?
Yes. I tested this out. Basically the music stops and you just have to restart it manually. That's the only downside.

Also tested with voice dictation on iPhone, same thing.
      06-26-2014, 03:53 PM   #16
2kaccordocoupe
Colonel

Drives: 2009 335i E92 Coupe

Garage List
2009 e92 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agentphish View Post
Yes. I tested this out. Basically the music stops and you just have to restart it manually. That's the only downside.

Also tested with voice dictation on iPhone, same thing.
2kaccordocoupe is offline   Canada
      06-26-2014, 05:55 PM   #17
antzcrashing
... can I get a 1M

Drives: 2006 330i

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [5.00]
I would like more info on how to do this with airport
      06-26-2014, 07:59 PM   #18
Agentphish
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by antzcrashing View Post
I would like more info on how to do this with airport
Google e90 airport airplay and you get the following first hit:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=908456
      06-26-2014, 08:18 PM   #19
antzcrashing
... can I get a 1M

Drives: 2006 330i

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [5.00]
Quote:
Google e90 airport airplay and you get the following first hit:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=908456
awesome, thanks, this is likely what I will do
      06-27-2014, 09:41 AM   #20
kunal_d
Private First Class

Drives: 08 335i 3 pedals

Thanks for posting this! I'm most likely going to do this.
      06-27-2014, 01:14 PM   #21
Agentphish
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunal_d View Post
Thanks for posting this! I'm most likely going to do this.
Cool. Again credit goes to the OP in my link in my original post here. Just thought posting it again with my modifications would help introduce this to more people.
      07-02-2014, 02:19 PM   #22
kunal_d
Private First Class

Drives: 08 335i 3 pedals

Quote:
Cool. Again credit goes to the OP in my link in my original post here. Just thought posting it again with my modifications would help introduce this to more people.
Just ordered the air enabler. Can't wait till it arrives!