E90Post

ECS BMW

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Best XM radio for clean install? Already have sat prep.

07-30-2014, 01:17 PM   #1
bender rodriguez
Major

Drives: Audi

Best XM radio for clean install? Already have sat prep.

I have sat prep but do not want to pay 150.00+ for the module. Especially when XM 2.0 is around the corner which the bmw module will not support.

What is the cleanest install for aftermarket? I was thinking of putting the tuner in the trunk where the antenna cable runs in. The the head unit in the armrest.
      07-30-2014, 02:19 PM   #2
Wongway
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 328i xdrive

Might not be worth it?

Since I noticed you posted in the Dynavin thread, maybe consider saving up for one of those? And maybe go with something like streaming Spotify or Pandora from your smartphone into a Bluetooth unit that plugs into the Aux port?

I like the choices with Satellite (I have that in my car), but I don't like the sound quality so much. The Bluetooth enables a bit better quality, but the aux port kinda ruins it a bit. However, it still sounds better than what I get out of Satellite, so take that as you will.
      07-30-2014, 02:52 PM   #3
bender rodriguez
Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wongway View Post
Might not be worth it?

Since I noticed you posted in the Dynavin thread, maybe consider saving up for one of those? And maybe go with something like streaming Spotify or Pandora from your smartphone into a Bluetooth unit that plugs into the Aux port?

I like the choices with Satellite (I have that in my car), but I don't like the sound quality so much. The Bluetooth enables a bit better quality, but the aux port kinda ruins it a bit. However, it still sounds better than what I get out of Satellite, so take that as you will.
I already have idrive I cant add another headunit. Or if I could it will look kinda stupid.

I only have 1gb data and the places I drive are spoty because my service sucks.
      07-30-2014, 02:53 PM   #4
bender rodriguez
Major

I have an old sirus tuner here for free already. If I add the turner can I change the display unit at a later date?
      07-30-2014, 03:06 PM   #5
Wongway
Second Lieutenant

Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't realize you had iDrive.

In that case, I believe that Dynavin may have a custom solution for you in the near future?

You'd have to get with Jeff about that one though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bender rodriguez View Post
I have an old sirus tuner here for free already. If I add the turner can I change the display unit at a later date?
Ask around, I don't recall how easy that one is to integrate with your particular system. It might require some recoding, but I could be wrong about that.
      07-30-2014, 03:31 PM   #6
bender rodriguez
Major

Quote:
Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't realize you had iDrive.

In that case, I believe that Dynavin may have a custom solution for you in the near future?

You'd have to get with Jeff about that one though.

Ask around, I don't recall how easy that one is to integrate with your particular system. It might require some recoding, but I could be wrong about that.
I am not trying to integrate it into the idrive. I am just trying to drop the display somewhere clean looking
      07-30-2014, 04:27 PM   #7
Wongway
Second Lieutenant

Oh, you mean those store bought tuners? Maybe try finding something that lets you hide it in the ashtray compartment?

When you said you had Sat prep, I thought you meant you had the BMW Sirius Sat Tuner. In that case, it doesn't even matter if you have Sat prep.
      08-04-2014, 04:39 PM   #8
bender rodriguez
Major

Quote:
Oh, you mean those store bought tuners? Maybe try finding something that lets you hide it in the ashtray compartment?

When you said you had Sat prep, I thought you meant you had the BMW Sirius Sat Tuner. In that case, it doesn't even matter if you have Sat prep.
SAT prep gives you sat antenna in the shark fin which is nice.