E90Post
 


GTB Performance
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Sharkedit (Shark Injector) tuner from Jim C. ($299 and details)



Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-03-2008, 09:56 PM   #45
Jeeves915
Private
Jeeves915's Avatar
0
Rep
93
Posts

 
Drives: Space Grey 6AT Coupe
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Auburn, Al

iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to Jeeves915 Send a message via Yahoo to Jeeves915
This is how the market for the Evo ECU tuning went too, IIRC. First there were the piggybacks (Vishnu, et al.), then the ECU flashes, then the DIY flash software.
For some reason, I'm strangely happy with this.

I DO think that there are some advantages to piggy backs, such as all the nifty toys being built into the procece, but, for an average tinkerer like me, being able to tweak my car a touch, so that I can nudge it up a few HP to MY comfort level is mighty spiffy...
Just my $0.03 (adjusted due to inflation...lol!)
-Adam
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2008, 09:56 PM   #46
e90AW335i
Major General
United_States
81
Rep
6,608
Posts

 
Drives: e90 335i
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: ......

iTrader: (4)

Does anyone know if there is a flash counter or anything like that? Something that would show how many times the ECU has been "flashed" with something....
__________________
I install all tunes, intakes, o2 simms, and most cosmetic mods. PM me for a quote.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2008, 09:57 PM   #47
amazzzin
Guest
Rep
n/a
Posts

 
Drives:


I'm happy. I'll wait it out.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2008, 09:57 PM   #48
e90AW335i
Major General
United_States
81
Rep
6,608
Posts

 
Drives: e90 335i
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: ......

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orb View Post
I would for sure. It will not take long untill we have a mass files of all type of maps but will see what Jim says.

Orb
I am PMing them to cancel my order right now. I am also gonna leave a message. I guess in the end it is good that it took them so long to ship it too me....

SharkEDIT FTW!
__________________
I install all tunes, intakes, o2 simms, and most cosmetic mods. PM me for a quote.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2008, 09:57 PM   #49
5soko
Brigadier General
5soko's Avatar
75
Rep
4,220
Posts

 
Drives: M5
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Brooklyn, NY

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90AW335i View Post
Does anyone know if there is a flash counter or anything like that? Something that would show how many times the ECU has been "flashed" with something....
i was thinking the same.
i know of alot of people who blew there engines on STI's using there own custom backyard tuner adjustments, i hope people can tune wisely if it is how i think this works.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2008, 09:58 PM   #50
e.n335
Moderator
e.n335's Avatar
Austria
98
Rep
4,480
Posts

 
Drives: e93 ///M3 DCT, 07/2009
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Switzerland, ZH

iTrader: (0)

There is a flash counter and I am pretty sure the software will handle it.
__________________
Not more than 500 chp for my daily driver. Well, ... .
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2008, 09:59 PM   #51
e90AW335i
Major General
United_States
81
Rep
6,608
Posts

 
Drives: e90 335i
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: ......

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5soko335i View Post
i was thinking the same, i know of alot of people who blew there engines on STI's using there own custom backyard tuner adjustments, i hope people can tune wisely if it is how i think this works.
I am sure that there will be many many maps once people start using this. It will end up costing one or two people money but then will be posting online for everyone.
__________________
I install all tunes, intakes, o2 simms, and most cosmetic mods. PM me for a quote.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2008, 09:59 PM   #52
e90AW335i
Major General
United_States
81
Rep
6,608
Posts

 
Drives: e90 335i
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: ......

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by e.n335 View Post
There is a flash counter and I am pretty sure the software will handle it.
Thanks Eugen. I am pretty excited about this, and I just added 800 bucks to my bank account....
__________________
I install all tunes, intakes, o2 simms, and most cosmetic mods. PM me for a quote.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2008, 10:00 PM   #53
lndshrk
Chief Shark Officer
1
Rep
154
Posts

 
Drives: 07 335i, 08 M3, 00 MZ3 & more
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Utah!

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by e.n335 View Post
There is a flash counter and I am pretty sure the software will handle it.
There is a "counter" but it is not as you think.

And we don't touch it. We don't modify it.

So all is good.

Jim
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2008, 10:00 PM   #54
stressdoc
Moderator
stressdoc's Avatar
Dominica
139
Rep
10,169
Posts

 
Drives: F80 YMB
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: MO

iTrader: (0)

Will this spell the end of turbos? Do you computer brainiacs know how BMW might ever wrestle control back over their CPUs? Tuning NAs is blasé -- not much you can do power wise, maybe 10%. But when you can adjust boost -- well, we've seen what can happen.

I still wonder if all this could not have been circumvented by BMW performance monopolizing the market, reducing the financial incentive for tuners to get involved in the first place. Probably would not have stopped a maverick like JC though.

Man, if this is what he's doing to the 335, can you imagine what his M3 will be like? AMGs will be very heavy paperweights... The only folks really able to have fun with his toys will be driving in Germany.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2008, 10:01 PM   #55
amazzzin
Guest
Rep
n/a
Posts

 
Drives:


So right now I'm running SSTT, I picked up my car in early December 07.. but I have an 08' ... I have old ECU, which means piggyback restriction.... is a nono? I'm running SSTT.... right now and it feels as I have extra power, just dont wnna get caught
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2008, 10:02 PM   #56
e.n335
Moderator
e.n335's Avatar
Austria
98
Rep
4,480
Posts

 
Drives: e93 ///M3 DCT, 07/2009
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Switzerland, ZH

iTrader: (0)

Won't you prefer a Conforti, Dinan or AA rather than a homemade map ?
__________________
Not more than 500 chp for my daily driver. Well, ... .
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2008, 10:03 PM   #57
e90AW335i
Major General
United_States
81
Rep
6,608
Posts

 
Drives: e90 335i
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: ......

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lndshrk View Post
There is a "counter" but it is not as you think.

And we don't touch it. We don't modify it.

So all is good.

Jim
Good to see you online answering questions right now.

Have you released what kind of power numbers you expect on "your" map?
__________________
I install all tunes, intakes, o2 simms, and most cosmetic mods. PM me for a quote.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2008, 10:04 PM   #58
lndshrk
Chief Shark Officer
1
Rep
154
Posts

 
Drives: 07 335i, 08 M3, 00 MZ3 & more
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Utah!

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90AW335i View Post
I am sure that there will be many many maps once people start using this. It will end up costing one or two people money but then will be posting online for everyone.
As intended - the software is DESIGNED for collaboration because it has a
semi-*nix (Linux/Unix/Posix) permissions meme.

In short it knows Creator, Owner, Group, and World.

The Creator of a project (think: tuning project) sets who can access and
in what mode: No Access, Read Only, Read/Write.

The Creator alone adds members to "the group"

So if you are the creator of a tune - you can add your friends to a group
and then allow them read-only (or read/write) perms.

So they can work with you - or just share in your tune.

There are also going to be professional tuners making tunes with this
software and delivering them via the Shark Injector as well as MY tunes.

Ergo, I wired the door w/ det cord - and blew it off the hinges.

Aka it's "WIDE OPEN"

Nite all - Jim needs a nap.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2008, 10:04 PM   #59
Orb
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
37
Rep
1,748
Posts

 
Drives: 335
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Canada

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen_E92 View Post
Mark I'm sure you can help me set up the thing if I get it
I don think there be much to do at all. I just want it because I'm curious.

Honestly, copy Dinan stage III coding and get an IC and you’re done. Go to the dealer put stage II back in and when you leave stage III.

The chaos this thing is going to create for other tuners hasn't even begun yet.

Orb
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2008, 10:05 PM   #60
5soko
Brigadier General
5soko's Avatar
75
Rep
4,220
Posts

 
Drives: M5
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Brooklyn, NY

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAMEOVR View Post
So right now I'm running SSTT, I picked up my car in early December 07.. but I have an 08' ... I have old ECU, which means piggyback restriction.... is a nono? I'm running SSTT.... right now and it feels as I have extra power, just dont wnna get caught
the SSTT is working on the new v81 DME without any codes or logging according to Euorbahn, FWIW, they recived there car a few weeks ago and were running the latest software according to them and still made 40+WHP on there 135i, without any detection.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2008, 10:05 PM   #61
T Bone
Brigadier General
T Bone's Avatar
144
Rep
4,021
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The land where we kill baby seals

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orb View Post
Hum, copy Dinan stage II or III flash for 300.00 (I know it is evil but all is fair). This very cool and I think Jim made so new enemies. I don’t think we have seen how far this will go until we start thinking about….it the coolest idea yet

Orb
Quote:
Originally Posted by E82tt6 View Post
Very exciting indeed. If the rumors regarding V81 are true, I wouldn't be surprised to see a number of prominant tuners jumping into the "profesional suite"
Quote:
Originally Posted by E82tt6 View Post
Agreed. Piggybacks=COMPLETELY obsolete as soon as this is released.

Whoa, we really don't know what level of access and to which variables the Land Shark will get access to. Would you be able to play with fuel maps, injector cycles, top speed delete?? The Land Shark is just a portal.

If I were some of the tuners, I would be working with Jim to see how they can key tuner's maps to VINs like they are going to do for the Land Shark units to individual cars.

The tuners are going to have to adapt into a software licensing model for alot cheaper than current prices..... I think as a community, we would not mind forking over a few hundred bucks for people to do maps.

Poor Dinan.


Quote:
Originally Posted by e90AW335i View Post
Does anyone know if there is a flash counter or anything like that? Something that would show how many times the ECU has been "flashed" with something....
Yes I believe the MSD80 already has a flash counter. If you are worried about the number of times flash devices can get written to, it is in at least 10s of thousands....if you are worried about the number flashes raising concerns with BMW, I believe this is the bigger issue.
__________________
"Aerodynamics are for people who cannot build engines"......Enzo Ferrari
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2008, 10:05 PM   #62
e90AW335i
Major General
United_States
81
Rep
6,608
Posts

 
Drives: e90 335i
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: ......

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lndshrk View Post
Nite all - Jim needs a nap.
Wanna answer one more about "your" map?
__________________
I install all tunes, intakes, o2 simms, and most cosmetic mods. PM me for a quote.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2008, 10:07 PM   #63
e.n335
Moderator
e.n335's Avatar
Austria
98
Rep
4,480
Posts

 
Drives: e93 ///M3 DCT, 07/2009
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Switzerland, ZH

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lndshrk View Post
As intended - the software is DESIGNED for collaboration because it has a
semi-*nix (Linux/Unix/Posix) permissions meme.

In short it knows Creator, Owner, Group, and World.

The Creator of a project (think: tuning project) sets who can access and
in what mode: No Access, Read Only, Read/Write.

The Creator alone adds members to "the group"

So if you are the creator of a tune - you can add your friends to a group
and then allow them read-only (or read/write) perms.

So they can work with you - or just share in your tune.

There are also going to be professional tuners making tunes with this
software and delivering them via the Shark Injector as well as MY tunes.

Ergo, I wired the door w/ det cord - and blew it off the hinges.

Aka it's "WIDE OPEN"

Nite all - Jim needs a nap.
__________________
Not more than 500 chp for my daily driver. Well, ... .
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2008, 10:08 PM   #64
T Bone
Brigadier General
T Bone's Avatar
144
Rep
4,021
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The land where we kill baby seals

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5soko335i View Post
the SSTT is working on the new v81 DME without any codes or logging according to Euorbahn, FWIW, they recived there car a few weeks ago and were running the latest software according to them and still made 40+WHP on there 135i, without any detection.

We don't know this. The SSTT may have triggered a code that we don't know about. Unless we can get the FASTA data AND know what we are looking for, we cannot make this conclusion about the SSTT + MSD80 v81.
__________________
"Aerodynamics are for people who cannot build engines"......Enzo Ferrari
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2008, 10:09 PM   #65
ArmyBimmerDude
Major General
ArmyBimmerDude's Avatar
United_States
67
Rep
5,504
Posts

 
Drives: Lola
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Georgia

iTrader: (3)

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to ArmyBimmerDude Send a message via Yahoo to ArmyBimmerDude
Quote:
Originally Posted by T Bone View Post
Poor Dinan.
Nah. They still provide the warranty and security people need, plus the amount of people on this website is miniscule to the total amount of 335 owners in the U.S.

They'll be fine.

Not sure about the other tuners though....
__________________
2007 E92 Montego Blue 335i
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2008, 10:09 PM   #66
lndshrk
Chief Shark Officer
1
Rep
154
Posts

 
Drives: 07 335i, 08 M3, 00 MZ3 & more
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Utah!

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stressdoc View Post
I still wonder if all this could not have been circumvented by BMW performance monopolizing the market, reducing the financial incentive for tuners to get involved in the first place. Probably would not have stopped a maverick like JC though.
Last post before sleep

I think (personal observation - not corporate observation) that it is BMW's
attempt to capture the market w/ "BMW Performance" that will be their
undoing.

In short - I think someone is eventually going to sue them to Christmas.

Some inventive or wealthy car owner - or one w/ a good litigator Brother-in-law.

How do they get off locking us OWNERS out of the cars we OWN?

But then say - "well, but you can buy it FROM US". (us = BMW Performance)

That entire thing smacks of a major violation of the Moss-Magnuson Warr. Act.

Not to mention anti-trust, competitive restriction, etc laws.

Jim
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:19 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST